You don't honestly believe that any one consele truly WON last generation...

• 135 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

To answer you more specifically, Eroica, I would not be comfortable with only a Wii. I very gladly had a PC, Wii, and PS3 last gen and it worked for me.

But I think we need to define what we mean by objectivity.

Objectively, the gen for Sony was a disaster. They picked up towards the end. But the launch and first few years were much less than Sony expected.

Objectively, the gen for MS was very good. They didn't come out financially on top, but they took a bunch of market share from Sony. And MS lead the way into online gaming and really set the standards for it (console-wise).

Objectively, Nintendo made the most bank. They had a bad 3rd party library and a bad online system, but it doesn't matter because their success and influence cannot be denied.

From a gaming perspective, that means little to me. What matters to me is games.

organic_machine

Exactly. I would have gone insane if I only owned a Wii last gen. I think games need to be taken into more consideration when we consider who "won" each gen, since the sales of the console do not hae nearly as much impact on us than the games do. The 360 library destroys the Wii's and is also ahead of the PS3's by a considerable magin (although PS3 does have better exclusives imo).

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#52 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="TheEroica"] I listed sales as a pro in the wii catagory, though I am quite clear tha in the realm of what we consider to be the best aspects of gaming, GAMES are important too, and thus will call out the wii for suffering by comparison.TheEroica

I'll bet money that Nintendo's first party line-up on the Wii will hold up better as games than 95% of the games released this gen, especially Sony's first party line-up which built itself around production values.

Talking library is all well and good, but most of those games don't hold up. Sure, the PS1 had a great library overall, but outside of the stuff Square made, pretty much all of it is garbage now. I'd take the N64's library over the PS1's right now any day of the week.

So yeah, bad library overall? Sure. But you don't buy Nintendo consoles for overall library. You buy it for Nintendo games and the occasional third party masterpiece (Resident Evil 4). So it's kind of a moot point.

perhaps... and as you stated, we will certainly see how time ages this generation of gaming. Nintendo first party games tend to hold up very well over time... It is also fair to question what is an unquenchable loop of opinion when it comes to what we all consider to be "good" games and "bad" games as people game for different reasons. I guess what I'm making an attempt to bring to light (in the lions den of SW :P ) is that each of the three companies possess an aspect of their business to be crazy proud of and depending on your point of view can be applied to the overall "winning" of the generation. side note- The closeness in quality experiences as offered by all three of the console makers, give me the most evidence I need that Gen 8 is gonna be a great one for gamers... I want them to dog fight each other all day long. Runaway winners don't often give me hope in this industry... as seen by the start PS3 had this gen. They got good, when they got humbled.

Eh. I'd argue quality wasn't close at all this gen, but that's me.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts

[QUOTE="Heil68"]That's all that matters in the end. Jaysonguy

No, who has the most money matters in the end

Everyone understands this is a business right? lol

You have a share of those money?
ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 ultraking
Member since 2004 • 6904 Posts

[QUOTE="TheEroica"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Ok, so the TC is all about "feelings" and "thoughts".

Here's the facts

Nintendo sold 25 million more units then the other companies

They won, and whatever Oprah gave you courage to say about how you feel about it doesn't change that.

Jaysonguy

feelings

Hold me.... I just want you to share your feelings.

I deal with facts, you're the one that says there's other criteria to determine who won.

Are you also one of those people who thinks that money isn't the most important thing on Earth?

Maybe going to urge someone to recycle later?

in bold: great way to start a conversation.. not really

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#55 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Some of my favourite consoles ever like Gamecube and Saturn came last in their respective gens but it doesn't really matter in the end.

Aljosa23

Of course it matters, if they sold well they would have been better supported and the designs for the generations that followed those consoles would have taken pieces from them.

They failed so a new direction was taken.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="TheEroica"]feelings

ultraking

I deal with facts, you're the one that says there's other criteria to determine who won.

Are you also one of those people who thinks that money isn't the most important thing on Earth?

Ok, another person who doesn't understand this is a business and feelings have no place in the conversation

No matter how you feel about it 25 million more never changes.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22669 Posts

[QUOTE="TheEroica"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Ok, so the TC is all about "feelings" and "thoughts".

Here's the facts

Nintendo sold 25 million more units then the other companies

They won, and whatever Oprah gave you courage to say about how you feel about it doesn't change that.

Jaysonguy

feelings

:lol: I could read you flail at assumptions all day brother... anything else you want to take a stab at about me?

hippie

Or, maybe I'm suggesting an objective view on some things that effect us, rather than sales that really don't.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Heil68"]That's all that matters in the end. rjdofu

You have a share of those money?

Seriously?

That's a joke right?

So you're only able to do basic math if you have a stake in numbers?

ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 ultraking

[QUOTE="ultraking"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

Ok, another person who doesn't understand this is a business and feelings have no place in the conversation

just saying. youre "i deal with facts" line comes off as arrogant and don't be surprised if people here respond to it in a negative way

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

Some of my favourite consoles ever like Gamecube and Saturn came last in their respective gens but it doesn't really matter in the end.

Jaysonguy

Of course it matters, if they sold well they would have been better supported and the designs for the generations that followed those consoles would have taken pieces from them.

They failed so a new direction was taken.

That's nice. That might matter to the company and investors but not me. I don't operate on "what ifs" so I judge whatever was released instead of overthinking it. It's just video games.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 TheEroica  Moderator
For me the end user, I think Sony won because of the sheer volume and quality of exclusives that appeal to me. That's all that matters in the end. Heil68
hey heil! of course thats the way I feel about xbox... I don't pc game, so I was a kid in a candy store with great core games to play on the box and thats my preference... but I still acknowledge the quality in PS and Wii gaming...
AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

Objectively speaking? For the most part this isn't going to end well since everyone bases there thoughts off of one thing and don't bank enough on the other, but I do understand your thoughts on the matter Eroica.

For me, I think Nintendo and Microsoft won when it comes to sales, while nobody really won when it comes to games. I understand that its all your opinion on games so thats why nobody won overall. Now if we were to delve a bit deeper you could also say that libraries are a moot point for Nintendo considering that most people buy it for first party. Although the issue with this thought for some people is that for others who have experienced otherwise, they may feel that their game amounts per gen and how much gaming they can achieve on the others places them as higher priority and overall think that the Ninty library really is lacking on multiple quality games. You can go either way really especially if you are a one console kind of person, which I do know of a few mainly because gaming is an expensive hobby. Now if you own all the consoles you may still judge the Wii's library is stale even still (you still are comparing libraries and even if Ninty is better quality maybe you see more slightly lesser quality games as better, also an opinion), but its less of an outlier.

Now if you were to also consider the matter of future gens... Ninty is behind the others in most concepts of gaming, while the others are at the right spot mainly because they actually pioneered it for consoles imo. That doesn't mean they have fallen behind on being future proof when it comes to sales since we can also say that Ninty taking the low road may help them in a rather faltering ecosystem where gaming production is getting more pricey by the day. We can never know though but as you can see you can place this situation into an economic and general preference scenario just like the games versus sales thing that we do on here.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Jaysonguy

Or, maybe I'm suggesting an objective view on some things that effect us, rather than sales that really don't.

TheEroica

OK, you're just kidding right?

You really don't understand?

Sales are the only thing that matter and want to know why?

No one works for free and no one supports things for free.

That game you love and cherish so much? Well it sold like *@# and they're not making any more.

That game you hate? Sold 70 million units, there's going to be sequels all throughout the next decade.

Also you're using the word objective wrong, pick another one to use or use that one correctly.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 TheEroica  Moderator
[QUOTE="TheEroica"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] I'll bet money that Nintendo's first party line-up on the Wii will hold up better as games than 95% of the games released this gen, especially Sony's first party line-up which built itself around production values.

Talking library is all well and good, but most of those games don't hold up. Sure, the PS1 had a great library overall, but outside of the stuff Square made, pretty much all of it is garbage now. I'd take the N64's library over the PS1's right now any day of the week.

So yeah, bad library overall? Sure. But you don't buy Nintendo consoles for overall library. You buy it for Nintendo games and the occasional third party masterpiece (Resident Evil 4). So it's kind of a moot point.

DarkLink77
perhaps... and as you stated, we will certainly see how time ages this generation of gaming. Nintendo first party games tend to hold up very well over time... It is also fair to question what is an unquenchable loop of opinion when it comes to what we all consider to be "good" games and "bad" games as people game for different reasons. I guess what I'm making an attempt to bring to light (in the lions den of SW :P ) is that each of the three companies possess an aspect of their business to be crazy proud of and depending on your point of view can be applied to the overall "winning" of the generation. side note- The closeness in quality experiences as offered by all three of the console makers, give me the most evidence I need that Gen 8 is gonna be a great one for gamers... I want them to dog fight each other all day long. Runaway winners don't often give me hope in this industry... as seen by the start PS3 had this gen. They got good, when they got humbled.

So this gen was a step backwards in a way for you? I will admit that the closer games get to becoming shiity interactive movies, the more worried I become about this hobby. Not that I don't like a good presentation and being put into some neat situations, but Hollywood blows dogs for quarters and I'll be damned if Im playing Armegeddon the game and maintining my happiness in gaming for years to come. I'd love a revolution in gaming. What I meant, is that the three consoles companies are pretty evenly balanced in pros and cons going into a new gen and I'm hoping that inspires some risk taking and forward thinking.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 DarkLink77
Now if you were to also consider the matter of future gens... Ninty is behind the others in most concepts of gaming, while the others are at the right spot mainly because they actually pioneered it for consoles imo. AznbkdX
wut.
ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 ultraking

[QUOTE="TheEroica"]

Jaysonguy

That game you love and cherish so much? Well it sold like *@# and they're not making any more.

That game you hate? Sold 70 million units, there's going to be sequels all throughout the next decade.

Also you're using the word objective wrong, pick another one to use or use that one correctly.

if sales matter than why isn't wiiu getting more 3rd party support? or even wii for that matter? wii killed it in sales , youd think 3rd parties would flock to it
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="TheEroica"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="TheEroica"] perhaps... and as you stated, we will certainly see how time ages this generation of gaming. Nintendo first party games tend to hold up very well over time... It is also fair to question what is an unquenchable loop of opinion when it comes to what we all consider to be "good" games and "bad" games as people game for different reasons. I guess what I'm making an attempt to bring to light (in the lions den of SW :P ) is that each of the three companies possess an aspect of their business to be crazy proud of and depending on your point of view can be applied to the overall "winning" of the generation. side note- The closeness in quality experiences as offered by all three of the console makers, give me the most evidence I need that Gen 8 is gonna be a great one for gamers... I want them to dog fight each other all day long. Runaway winners don't often give me hope in this industry... as seen by the start PS3 had this gen. They got good, when they got humbled.

So this gen was a step backwards in a way for you? I will admit that the closer games get to becoming shiity interactive movies, the more worried I become about this hobby. Not that I don't like a good presentation and being put into some neat situations, but Hollywood blows dogs for quarters and I'll be damned if Im playing Armegeddon the game and maintining my happiness in gaming for years to come. I'd love a revolution in gaming. What I meant, is that the three consoles companies are pretty evenly balanced in pros and cons going into a new gen and I'm hoping that inspires some risk taking and forward thinking.

I don't think last gen was bad so much that it was a step back and it followed what is objectively the great generation of all time ( Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, GCN) and a lot of gaming's best series got worse without anything stepping up to the plate to replace them. In a lot of ways, we just coasted this gen. And like you, the more games get closer to film without actually telling stories worthy of film (if a game this year had a story as good as Zero Dark Thirty's I would have lost my f*cking mind), the more concerned I get for the medium.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="ultraking"]in bold: great way to start a conversation.. not really

ultraking

just saying. youre "i deal with facts" line comes off as arrogant and don't be surprised if people here respond to it in a negative way

Thank you but I am arrogant, I don't really mince words that much. I appreciate your help though (I'm actually being sincere there in case I don't come off as such)

All this "oh well how did it effect you?" nonsense is exactly that, bottom line in the real world when we talk who won we look at what business made the most money.

That was their goal, anyone who thinks that their objective was to make great games or great hardware or anything of the sort is wrong, their goal was to sell the most and make the most money.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 AznbkdX

[QUOTE="AznbkdX"]Now if you were to also consider the matter of future gens... Ninty is behind the others in most concepts of gaming, while the others are at the right spot mainly because they actually pioneered it for consoles imo. DarkLink77
wut.

Read the rest. I said at the end that it was also a general preference as well.

Oh and I wasn't talking about literal pioneering in the sense that they started it, but that those consoles are the first to drag us into the HD age and what have you.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="AznbkdX"]Now if you were to also consider the matter of future gens... Ninty is behind the others in most concepts of gaming, while the others are at the right spot mainly because they actually pioneered it for consoles imo. AznbkdX

wut.

That's true, but I don't think you can argue Nintendo is behind the curve in terms of design, even with preference. The only company with design chops that is even remotely in the same league is Blizzard.
ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 ultraking

[QUOTE="ultraking"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

Thank you but I am arrogant, I don't really mince words that much. I appreciate your help though (I'm actually being sincere there in case I don't come off as such)

All this "oh well how did it effect you?" nonsense is exactly that, bottom line in the real world when we talk who won we look at what business made the most money.

That was their goal, anyone who thinks that their objective was to make great games or great hardware or anything of the sort is wrong, their goal was to sell the most and make the most money.

i remember when i was 18 also( sooo long ago :( ). you will grow out of it eventually

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

Or, maybe I'm suggesting an objective view on some things that effect us, rather than sales that really don't.TheEroica

Here's where my issue is: When you say "things that effect us," that goes against the very idea of objective. How something affects me is inherently subjective. So what you are saying is we must objectively argue something subjective. To objectivly look at the console war, we have to dviroce our argument from our own perception and look at things as they are.

And this is a business, so it's all about sales. That is objective truth. Sales have very little impact on me as a gamer. And the impact on me is where I agree with all of your points. Each system has its pro's and con's and it's up to us to decide which ones we'd want to purchase.

But again I take issue at your use of the word 'objective' here. It derails the entire argument.

AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#73 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts
[QUOTE="organic_machine"]

Well from a bsuiness perspective, Nintendo won.

From a gamers perspective, I think that nobody won.

blue_hazy_basic
Pretty much exactly this.

yeah but game wise wii lost by a high margin by not having multiplats , the best games this gen
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

[QUOTE="Heil68"]That's all that matters in the end. Jaysonguy

Not to me it's not, right? Nope. I thought the Wii was the worse console last gen, despite it "winning".
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#75 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

sales wise-ninty won

quality wise- just check the AAA exclusives.....(A-AAA if thats your thing)for the actual count or do it percentage wise

thats how i see it.....

and eroica....why do you have malak on your sig? is this a quote malak said?

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 AznbkdX

[QUOTE="AznbkdX"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] wut.DarkLink77

That's true, but I don't think you can argue Nintendo is behind the curve in terms of design, even with preference. The only company with design chops that is even remotely in the same league is Blizzard.

I guess you can say that as a general preference they weren't behind depending on how you look at it, which is why all this stuff is hard to extrapolate. For some gamers they don't believe that the motion control technology (at least I think thats what you mean) really are any way to step up your game. Traditionalist find no solace in most innovation imo and would rather just play there games without any hassle unless it meaningfully adds a step up in gaming. Ninty may have done this for some, but maybe they didn't since their controls may have been flimsy or unused much of the time for the others. It really depends what you think is innovative or not which is why I still think its general preference overall.

If you are talking about games, then once again some may find Nintendo's style a bit daunting compared to several game series that have come out these last few years. There have been many devs that stepped up to the plate, so maybe others feel that Ninty isn't cutting it in comparison due to the shift in preferences. This can attribute to the no games attitude, kiddy games, and all that garbage, which some actually believe in or justify for any reason.

organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 organic_machine

yeah but game wise wii lost by a high margin by not having multiplats , the best games this genAmnesiaHaze

That's very debateable. My whole point is to define our terms, to separate objectivity from subjectivity.

What you just said is debatable, but ultimately subjective. Sales and revenue are the only truly objective arguments we can make here.

I will say from a subjective standpoint that you were correct before the comma, and incorrect after it. My top five conist of PC games and Nintendo first party games.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 TheEroica  Moderator

[QUOTE="TheEroica"]

Jaysonguy

how am I using it wrong? Objective - uninfluenced by bias or personal prejudice. I and my family would hands down choose the 360 as OUR favorite console this gen for a myriad of reasons... but objectively, I can see the strengths and weaknesses in all the consoles offered last gen. That leads to feeling that all are pretty much knotted up when its all laid out.

As for the importance of sales... sure, the sales mean something... as I've stated this entire thread. That doesn't mean that they are the defacto answer to what console won.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

I say 360 for the following reasons :

1. Came from nowhere against companies that had 20 years to entrench themselves who had %90 market share, ate both their lunches and left a dookie in their pools.

2. The others then frantically started adding "trophies" and realizing that third-party developers exist. In a final humiliation, Playstation releases a transluscent DONG that people are embarassed to have in their house to compete with Kinect.

3. The only console this gen that came out as a COMPETENT product without lying to the customers about making their children exercise, or putting ridiculous claims about having to work 2 jobs to buy a PS3 because it's JUST SOOO POWERFUL.

I'm not saying Microsoft won, cuz let's face it, they're a crappy company that abuses their fans.

But the 360 as a product? Perfect in every way until they dropped core and turned the GUI into a chinese phonebook.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 TheEroica  Moderator

[QUOTE="TheEroica"]Or, maybe I'm suggesting an objective view on some things that effect us, rather than sales that really don't.organic_machine

Here's where my issue is: When you say "things that effect us," that goes against the very idea of objective. How something affects me is inherently subjective. So what you are saying is we must objectively argue something subjective. To objectivly look at the console war, we have to dviroce our argument from our own perception and look at things as they are.

And this is a business, so it's all about sales. That is objective truth. Sales have very little impact on me as a gamer. And the impact on me is where I agree with all of your points. Each system has its pro's and con's and it's up to us to decide which ones we'd want to purchase.

But again I take issue at your use of the word 'objective' here. It derails the entire argument.

Ok I can see that point... Perhaps it wouldve been better to say, "putting console bias aside" rather than objective. I wasn't trying to put emphasis on the word as much as I was trying to bring to light the idea that if we look at the industry as a whole, and without bias of our own favorite console, then things are very even in gaming atm.
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
Yes for consoles it was easy. Wii had better games and better sales.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 TheEroica  Moderator
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="TheEroica"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Eh. I'd argue quality wasn't close at all this gen, but that's me.

I don't think last gen was bad so much that it was a step back and it followed what is objectively the great generation of all time ( Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, GCN) and a lot of gaming's best series got worse without anything stepping up to the plate to replace them. In a lot of ways, we just coasted this gen. And like you, the more games get closer to film without actually telling stories worthy of film (if a game this year had a story as good as Zero Dark Thirty's I would have lost my f*cking mind), the more concerned I get for the medium.

Thing is, I'm all for strong narrative, as are you from what we've discussed on this forum, but not at the expense of losing compelling gameplay and that's where my greatest issue lies. I simply don't want to watch games with light interactivity. I wan't to play games... probably why arcade/DL games have become so much fun. dunno... I agree with the "coasting" theory. Many times this gen I thought to myself, "I've done this before, it just looks cooler" That is a trend I don't care for.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="AznbkdX"]

AznbkdX

I guess you can say that as a general preference they weren't behind depending on how you look at it, which is why all this stuff is hard to extrapolate. For some gamers they don't believe that the motion control technology (at least I think thats what you mean) really are any way to step up your game. Traditionalist find no solace in most innovation imo and would rather just play there games without any hassle unless it meaningfully adds a step up in gaming. Ninty may have done this for some, but maybe they didn't since their controls may have been flimsy or unused much of the time for the others. It really depends what you think is innovative or not which is why I still think its general preference overall.

If you are talking about games, then once again some may find Nintendo's style a bit daunting compared to several game series that have come out these last few years. There have been many devs that stepped up to the plate, so maybe others feel that Ninty isn't cutting it in comparison due to the shift in preferences. This can attribute to the no games attitude, kiddy games, and all that garbage, which some actually believe in or justify for any reason.

I'm meh on motion controls. Don't love 'em, don't hate 'em. I was referring to game design more. I don't understand that attitude. Nintendo games are pretty much perfect on a mechanical level, but taste is taste. I've really never understood the "kiddy" argument, either. They appeal to everyone, not just kids. Since when was a bright color palette and a whimsical nature a bad thing? Are we going to start insulting Pixar now because kids like their movies?
AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 AznbkdX

[QUOTE="organic_machine"]

[QUOTE="TheEroica"]Or, maybe I'm suggesting an objective view on some things that effect us, rather than sales that really don't.TheEroica

Ok I can see that point... Perhaps it wouldve been better to say, "putting console bias aside" rather than objective. I wasn't trying to put emphasis on the word as much as I was trying to bring to light the idea that if we look at the industry as a whole, and without bias of our own favorite console, then things are very even in gaming atm.

This is what I was thinking as well. I think most of you are focusing a little too much on that word. The context is what really matters here.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
PS3 won this gen for me (excluding PC of course) It had the most by far to offer me as a PC gamer. Blu-Ray, great exclusives, free online, controller I am use to, and most reliable between it and 360 (Wii was never a consideration for me). Wii killed itself before it even got started for me by going motion controls and being way underpowered. 360 is okay, but with me having to pay for online, unreliable hardware, and only 2 games I care to play that I can't get on either PC or PS3, it was by far the weaker of my two options to pick from to add with my PC. Which console sold best, which console has games that other like doesn't mean crap to me, so.....nb4 somebody replies telling me how awesome they think "X" game for 360 or Wii is, because I don't care what you like.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 TheEroica  Moderator

To answer you more specifically, Eroica, I would not be comfortable with only a Wii. I very gladly had a PC, Wii, and PS3 last gen and it worked for me.

But I think we need to define what we mean by objectivity.

Objectively, the gen for Sony was a disaster. They picked up towards the end. But the launch and first few years were much less than Sony expected.

Objectively, the gen for MS was very good. They didn't come out financially on top, but they took a bunch of market share from Sony. And MS lead the way into online gaming and really set the standards for it (console-wise).

Objectively, Nintendo made the most bank. They had a bad 3rd party library and a bad online system, but it doesn't matter because their success and influence cannot be denied.

From a gaming perspective, that means little to me. What matters to me is games.

organic_machine
sorry I missed this post... what you said and the way you sized up the companies is pretty much spot on with what I intended... My only amendment to that would be that sony's recovery puts them in a much better position than that of a few years ago. personally I still think they'll find a way to eff it up (thats my bias opinion :P ) but I think they knotted things up this gen with a late surge.
AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 AznbkdX

[QUOTE="AznbkdX"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] That's true, but I don't think you can argue Nintendo is behind the curve in terms of design, even with preference. The only company with design chops that is even remotely in the same league is Blizzard.DarkLink77

I'm meh on motion controls. Don't love 'em, don't hate 'em. I was referring to game design more. I don't understand that attitude. Nintendo games are pretty much perfect on a mechanical level, but taste is taste. I've really never understood the "kiddy" argument, either. They appeal to everyone, not just kids. Since when was a bright color palette and a whimsical nature a bad thing? Are we going to start insulting Pixar now because kids like their movies?

Yeah I myself think mechanically they are top notch as well. In fact most who are any kind of gamer probably would, just saying there are those few that just can't stand it.

I'm guessing that stigma just comes from the times really. I hate it too and think its irrational ( I freaking love most Pixar movies), but when you grew up on the games such as CoD and such, and the ease of access on any kind of information normally portraying bad situations, then their may be warped minds.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 TheEroica  Moderator

[QUOTE="TheEroica"][QUOTE="organic_machine"]

AznbkdX

This is what I was thinking as well. I think most of you are focusing a little too much on that word. The context is what really matters here.

thanks brother... I was trying to be clear in my point. Glad you got it!
EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts

Nintendo won let it go people.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="TheEroica"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="TheEroica"] So this gen was a step backwards in a way for you? I will admit that the closer games get to becoming shiity interactive movies, the more worried I become about this hobby. Not that I don't like a good presentation and being put into some neat situations, but Hollywood blows dogs for quarters and I'll be damned if Im playing Armegeddon the game and maintining my happiness in gaming for years to come. I'd love a revolution in gaming. What I meant, is that the three consoles companies are pretty evenly balanced in pros and cons going into a new gen and I'm hoping that inspires some risk taking and forward thinking.

Thing is, I'm all for strong narrative, as are you from what we've discussed on this forum, but not at the expense of losing compelling gameplay and that's where my greatest issue lies. I simply don't want to watch games with light interactivity. I wan't to play games... probably why arcade/DL games have become so much fun. dunno... I agree with the "coasting" theory. Many times this gen I thought to myself, "I've done this before, it just looks cooler" That is a trend I don't care for.

Pretty much. And while I understand that balancing narrative is hard, the greatest narrative achievement in this medium is more than ten years old. We haven't even come close to matching it. If anything, we've gone backwards, and game design has regressed too, because developers are scared sh!tless of not appealing to everyone, all the time. You can't afford to not be a hit in this industry anymore, so people take as few risks as possible. It's sad.
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 organic_machine

[QUOTE="AznbkdX"]

TheEroica

I probably was focusing on that one word too much, because I agree with the main point of the thread. But man, the thought of that one word was KILLING me! :P

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="AznbkdX"]

AznbkdX

Yeah I myself think mechanically they are top notch as well. In fact most who are any kind of gamer probably would, just saying there are those few that just can't stand it.

I'm guessing that stigma just comes from the times really. I hate it too and think its irrational ( I freaking love most Pixar movies), but when you grew up on the games such as CoD and such, and the ease of access on any kind of information normally portraying bad situations, then their may be warped minds.

I still don't understand it. Liking one thing doesn't mean hating another. So what if it's not super serious? So what if it's not violent? Nintendo games are some of the only things that make me happy when I play them. Most games can't do that.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#93 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

The ds and wii line won nintendo outsold ps1 and ps2 put together in one gen , 

ps3 360 are at a dead near tie almost so no one really won the hd battle , lol

and i predict a repeat for next gen except ms will be last and all 3 well sell less consoles then this gen possibly having a near close battle

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 TheEroica  Moderator
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="TheEroica"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] I don't think last gen was bad so much that it was a step back and it followed what is objectively the great generation of all time ( Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, GCN) and a lot of gaming's best series got worse without anything stepping up to the plate to replace them. In a lot of ways, we just coasted this gen. And like you, the more games get closer to film without actually telling stories worthy of film (if a game this year had a story as good as Zero Dark Thirty's I would have lost my f*cking mind), the more concerned I get for the medium.

Pretty much. And while I understand that balancing narrative is hard, the greatest narrative achievement in this medium is more than ten years old. We haven't even come close to matching it. If anything, we've gone backwards, and game design has regressed too, because developers are scared sh!tless of not appealing to everyone, all the time. You can't afford to not be a hit in this industry anymore, so people take as few risks as possible. It's sad.

pretty much totally agree... problem is, I don't see a beacon of light saying that big budget games are gonna get any more innovative, but here's to hoping.
Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

Nintendo won in sales, but I think Microsoft is holding onto their market a lot better.

I think it's incredible how successful the 360 is seven years after release.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 TheEroica  Moderator

[QUOTE="TheEroica"][QUOTE="AznbkdX"]

organic_machine

I probably was focusing on that one word too much, because I agree with the main point of the thread. But man, the thought of that one word was KILLING me! :P

OB

:lol: no worries brother... just be gentle :P

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Thank You SONY for the PS3!! 

PlayStation® 3 Computer Entertainment System -best console this generation hands down and the only one in the history of gaming to obliterate the HATE. Free online, bluray, HDMI 1.3, HDD, Wi-Fi, rechargeable controller on every console since day one.

The Cell BE is a multi-core processor employing a PowerPC processor element (PPE) and seven synergistic processor elements (SPE) to provide supercomputer capability in a home computer entertainment system. The Cell BE is capable of 218GFlops performance. The XDR memory controller interface (XIO) on the Cell BE is 72 bits-wide and is capable of operating at 3.2Gbps data rates providing 25.6GB/s of total memory bandwidth.

Rambus' FlexIO processor bus provides the high-bandwidth connectivity between the Cell BE and the RSX graphics processor and south bridge chip providing an aggregate bandwidth of 40GB/s. The PlayStation 3's breathtaking graphics performance, including high definition (HD) 1080p video output, is delivered by the RSX Reality Synthesizer. Meanwhile, the south bridge chip is responsible for interface and control of PlayStation 3's rich provisioning of storage and communications technologies including Blu-ray Disc player, built-in hard drive, 802.11b/g Wi-Fi®, Gigabit Ethernet, USB 2.0 and Bluetooth® 2.0.

Are you ready to play? The PS3 system has you covered:

• Best games from the best franchises in high definition and stereoscopic 3D
  • Only console with a built in Blu-ray player
  • Watch or stream thousands of movies in high definition
  • PlayStation®Network has all the content and community support to ensure you always have someone to play with

Welcome to the PlayStation®Nation. Long Live Play.

organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 organic_machine

Ly_the_Fairy

No doubt, ESPECIALLY how dominant Sony was the gen previous. I think a lot of it had to do with MS truly setting the standard for console online gaming. They created a quality service and Sony, from day one, was catcing up.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

organic_machine

No doubt, ESPECIALLY how dominant Sony was the gen previous. I think a lot of it had to do with MS truly setting the standard for console online gaming. They created a quality service and Sony, from day one, was catcing up.

Pretty much. Now Microsoft just needs to recapture that magic and they'll be in a very good place this gen.

Fortunately for them, Sony can't outspend them.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="TheEroica"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="TheEroica"] Thing is, I'm all for strong narrative, as are you from what we've discussed on this forum, but not at the expense of losing compelling gameplay and that's where my greatest issue lies. I simply don't want to watch games with light interactivity. I wan't to play games... probably why arcade/DL games have become so much fun. dunno... I agree with the "coasting" theory. Many times this gen I thought to myself, "I've done this before, it just looks cooler" That is a trend I don't care for.

pretty much totally agree... problem is, I don't see a beacon of light saying that big budget games are gonna get any more innovative, but here's to hoping.

Yeah, here's hoping. Indie development is the future. AAA gaming is going to figure out how to make money on smaller budgets or it's going to die.