Yoshio Sakamoto doesn't want to return to traditional games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for nintendoboy16
#1 Posted by nintendoboy16 (32810 posts) -

Source: Gamespot, CVG

CVG: In your Tomodachi presentation, you mentioned your mission to 'create a game that moves the industry forwards'. Does that mean you will not return to the more traditional game series that you're known for?

Sakamoto: I do not intend to do so. There might [currently] be various tasks I might be involved in with past series. However, even if so I would always like to introduce new entertainment and new fun to those series.

I would like to satisfy fans of those series, but also working with other talented individuals I would like to create entertainment that's completely different and that brings new emotions. I would like to challenge myself in those unique directions.

This might be indirect, but if we can make new types of gamers enjoy video games for the first time through Tomodachi Life, then they might eventually become interested in the more conventional games. I think we need to ensure that video games remain attractive to consumers, and in order to do so new concepts and ideas are important. I would like to challenge myself to do that.

---

There you have it, Metroid fans. Sakamoto doesn't seem to want to return to Metroid (his traditional series as he is co-creator with Gunpei Yokoi) as of this time. Either this is good news for those who disliked Other M. Bad news for the series in general. Or both.

Avatar image for Suppaman100
#2 Posted by Suppaman100 (5250 posts) -

Nintendo was already dead, this doesn't change much.

Avatar image for m_machine024
#3 Posted by m_machine024 (15596 posts) -

So Tomodachi Life will move the industry forward? Hmm k.

It's getting more attention that I thought it would tho. lol

Avatar image for princessgomez92
#4 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (4783 posts) -

And here I wanted Prime 4 and Other M 2.

Avatar image for DJ-Lafleur
#5 Edited by DJ-Lafleur (35405 posts) -

Well, it is nice that he wants to create new expiriences. just wish it could be something a bit more appealing than Tomodachi Life.

I wouldn't really be against Sakamoto returning to Metroid though, as I thought Other M was a solid game, disappointing story aside.

Avatar image for Pffrbt
#6 Posted by Pffrbt (6606 posts) -

Wasn't this guy responsible for ever awful design choice in Other M?

Avatar image for superbuuman
#7 Edited by superbuuman (5515 posts) -

Good riddance, hopefully someone else will handle Metroid and do a better job than him. Seems like these old timers are getting tired..even Aonuma wants to do simpler stuff..so time promote the younger up people. :p

Avatar image for Raptor_Herc
#8 Posted by Raptor_Herc (330 posts) -

Good for him for pursuing his own interests. Hopefully he will go on to develop some interesting new franchises in addition to Tomadachi Life (perhaps something for the Wii U *cough*).

Avatar image for foxhound_fox
#9 Posted by foxhound_fox (96150 posts) -

Good, then someone else might be able to take the helm of Metroid.

@Pffrbt said:

Wasn't this guy responsible for ever awful design choice in Other M?

No, just the bad script. Most of the gameplay was built and designed by Team Ninja (AFAIK).

Avatar image for superbuuman
#10 Edited by superbuuman (5515 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

Good, then someone else might be able to take the helm of Metroid.

@Pffrbt said:

Wasn't this guy responsible for ever awful design choice in Other M?

No, just the bad script. Most of the gameplay was built and designed by Team Ninja (AFAIK).

Wrong it was Sakamoto at the helm..he's responsible for more than just bad story..he's the one who insisted on using *wiimote only* controls had to be build just around wiimote..which Team Ninja did a good job with that restriction. :p

Avatar image for FireEmblem_Man
#11 Edited by FireEmblem_Man (16169 posts) -

Yes! Metroid is Saved!

Avatar image for DocSanchez
#12 Posted by DocSanchez (4040 posts) -

I love how the narrative was about how Metroid Other M was a neat "gem" for the wii and severely underrated but now people are honest about it because they've moved on.

Avatar image for Gue1
#14 Edited by Gue1 (12171 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

Wasn't this guy responsible for ever awful design choice in Other M?

most likely because he was both director and scenario writer. I think he's better off making them quirky games rather than the traditional stuff. XD

Avatar image for FireEmblem_Man
#15 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (16169 posts) -

@DocSanchez said:

I love how the narrative was about how Metroid Other M was a neat "gem" for the wii and severely underrated but now people are honest about it because they've moved on.

A neat "gem" for the Wii? It belongs in the garbage can!

Avatar image for DocSanchez
#16 Posted by DocSanchez (4040 posts) -

@FireEmblem_Man: Every time someone criticised the wii library it was on people's lists of games which were amazing and only on wii. It was a bit precious at the time of release but then as time went on people admitted it was, frankly, rubbish. Not a true metroid game, not a metroid prime game, just a failure.

Avatar image for Heil68
#17 Edited by Heil68 (57212 posts) -

@FireEmblem_Man said:

Yes! Metroid is Saved!

You think? I hope so.

Avatar image for ConanTheStoner
#18 Posted by ConanTheStoner (16354 posts) -

@DocSanchez:

Not sure were you saw those comments, but I'm sure it wasn't on this board. People always hated Other M here. I mean really fucking hated it. It basically got the FFXIII treatment. If anything, people are starting to warm up to it instead of unanimously calling it shit like they used to.

Anyways, good riddance. I don't want Sakamoto, Team Ninja, or any other hacks screwing with the IP further.

Avatar image for Bardock47
#19 Posted by Bardock47 (5429 posts) -

Next Metroid has a much better chance of rocking then; awesome.

Hope Sakamoto finds success elsewhere though.

Avatar image for stuff238
#20 Edited by stuff238 (1770 posts) -

I don't see how an evolved form of tamagotchi is going to change the industry.

Avatar image for lamprey263
#21 Posted by lamprey263 (33782 posts) -

I've heard before that the story elements that were the subject of ridicule for Other M were by directive from Nintendo, but I had no idea who made that call. If it was this guy, sure they made bad moves, overall I rather enjoyed Other M. I'd gladly like to see Nintendo outsource Metroid to other developers if they themselves are not going to make them. Nintendo needs to embrace outsourcing to provide more content to their system. They've too many IPs to manage themselves. And even if Nintendo doesn't want to gamble on third parties generating new titles with Nintendo licenses, for God's sake at least let them help port older content to the Wii U for Nintendo's eShop.

Avatar image for FireEmblem_Man
#22 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (16169 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

I've heard before that the story elements that were the subject of ridicule for Other M were by directive from Nintendo, but I had no idea who made that call. If it was this guy, sure they made bad moves, overall I rather enjoyed Other M. I'd gladly like to see Nintendo outsource Metroid to other developers if they themselves are not going to make them. Nintendo needs to embrace outsourcing to provide more content to their system. They've too many IPs to manage themselves. And even if Nintendo doesn't want to gamble on third parties generating new titles with Nintendo licenses, for God's sake at least let them help port older content to the Wii U for Nintendo's eShop.

They did outsourced Metroid, the was the Prime Series and made many awards. Problem is, Sakamoto wanted to make a console Metroid of his own and claimed the Prime games non-cannon because he was NOT involved with them unlike both Fusion and Zero Mission.

Avatar image for FireEmblem_Man
#23 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (16169 posts) -

@DocSanchez said:

@FireEmblem_Man: Every time someone criticised the wii library it was on people's lists of games which were amazing and only on wii. It was a bit precious at the time of release but then as time went on people admitted it was, frankly, rubbish. Not a true metroid game, not a metroid prime game, just a failure.

Maybe you heard that from the supposed "Purest" Metroid fans? You know, the ones that don't like the Prime series and prefer Fusion over them, and Japanese weeaboo's that think Japan's take on Metroid is better than Retro's take? I'll admit, I was once excited for it before it came out, until I played it myself and never again touched it as it gave me nightmares of Sakamoto abusing Samus like both Steven Spielberg and George Lucas double teaming on "touching" Indiana Jones.