Scipio8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Scipio8
Member since 2013 • 937 Posts

During an interview Yoshida talked about the lack of AAA exclusives this holiday and had this to say

We’ve been saying that the number of AAAs might be getting smaller because the cost of development for AAAs is getting higher,” he said. “But there are so many indie games and great games coming out almost every week or every other week. We’re seeing it on PS4. I hope you’re seeing it as well.”

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/06/missing-ps4-features-still-coming-sony-says/

So it looks like there will be less AAA games as Sony focuses more on Indie games. Is this the confirmation of IndieStation4? Phil Spencer on the other hand has been all about AAA exclusives coming to the Xbox One.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

:(

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts
@Scipio8 said:

So it looks like there will be less AAA games as Sony focuses more on Indie games. Is this the confirmation of IndieStation4. Phil Spencer on the other hand has been all about AAA exclusives coming to the Xbox One.

ah ok i've got an answer for that.

as a sony fanboy, all of a sudden i love indie games. those aaa games on the xbox one i don't know anything about - they're bad games. they cannot compare to playstation games like the last guardian, uncharted 4, or bloodborne.

you may argue that those games i listed aren't even out, well do you really think you've got a strong argument there? i mean really?

just because the games aren't out, or just because we've only seen in-engine animations - it doesn't mean sony are doing anything wrong. they're doing it exactly perfect, and i would have done it exactly the same.

sony domination continuation.

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

@Scipio8 said:
Phil Spencer on the other hand has been all about AAA exclusives coming to the Xbox One.

And yet the same amount was shown on each console.

I also love how the TC attempts to falsify a direct quote of Yoshida in the title. At least cows direct quote Phil.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Unfortunately, this is old. This article was created yesterday so you have to figure it's been making the rounds as ammo in SW.

There are at least three threads that I read this information and quotes from in SW.

Here's PROOF. One thread quoting and using the same link the TC used made two hours ago for instance:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/ok-with-less-aaa-games-and-more-indies-31370570/#15

iloveatlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By iloveatlus
Member since 2009 • 599 Posts

I didn't buy a Playstation 4 to play indie games.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@iloveatlus: you avatar is terrifying

Elpresador-911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Elpresador-911
Member since 2013 • 1096 Posts

yet the PS4 will always have more triple A budget titled than the X1 cuz Sony has more studios under their belt

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#9 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Fvck you Yoshida. I didnt bought more powerfull hardware to play Indie games. I've my PS3 and PC for that. If sony thinks gamers will support them if they stop producing high quality AAA exclusives then they're just delusional. Most people bought the PS4 because Sony never disappointed with exclusives three gens in a row. This is a good way to kill the hype

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#11 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@Scipio8 said:
Phil Spencer on the other hand has been all about AAA exclusives coming to the Xbox One.

lol you're kidding right? Barely any AAA shown at MS E3 conference was exclusive... Both the PS4 and the X1 had more or less the same number of AAA exclusives shown

lems and their delusions...

Elpresador-911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Elpresador-911

@Vatusus: Calm down mofo, sony's ww studios arent gonna start developing indie style games all of a sudden. Sony didnt make the PS4 this powerful to not have their 1st party utilize it.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 darkangel115

@elpresador-911 said:

yet the PS4 will always have more triple A budget titled than the X1 cuz Sony has more studios under their belt

You're missing the articles point. If sony is saying you will see less of them because cost is too high, that would mean they would have their own studios pushing out smaller indie like games over big AAA games. Obviously ND wouldn't be one of them but MM, SSM, GG, SP etc could all wind up making smaller A or AA games instead

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Only a few posts in and already cow meltdowns LOL

Even before the generation started games journalists predicted Sonys financial state would have them chasing indies over blockbusters. Sucks for cows

Elpresador-911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Elpresador-911

@darkangel115: as long as the game is great does it really matter how big the budget is? At the end of the day Sony's owned studios will never be making "indie" games since they're not independent studios.

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

Sony said this a few years ago. They were releasing too many games each year, and not many of them were selling very well... ex twisted metal,resistance, and ratchet and clank. Instead I think they will focus on 2-3 big games each year.

Elpresador-911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Elpresador-911

@RR360DD: Yet Sony still has more 1st party titles coming out than M$. Enjoy your last place Xbox lemrat :)

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@elpresador-911 said:

@darkangel115: as long as the game is great does it really matter how big the budget is? At the end of the day Sony's owned studios will never be making "indie" games since they're not independent studios.

...you were just bragging about the budget of games

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

@Vatusus said:

@Scipio8 said:

lol you're kidding right? Barely any AAA shown at MS E3 conference was exclusive... Both the PS4 and the X1 had more or less the same number of AAA exclusives shown

lems and their delusions...

Yeh i was going to say this, what AAA games? Halo 5 and maybe Gears if Black Tusk are any good?

Anyway i think Yoshia is commenting on gaming in general more than anything, when Tomb Raider takes 5m+ copies to breakeven then it's only a matter of time until the bubble bursts.

Elpresador-911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Elpresador-911

@lostrib: where?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lostrib

@elpresador-911 said:

@lostrib: where?

@elpresador-911 said:

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@darkangel115: the studio that did God of war is working on a AAA title. So is Gurrellia. All There major studios will be working on big budget titles.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

All I have to say is booooooooo.

That being said, they have a pretty good roster of AAA budget games either deep in development, or just starting development. Driveclub, The Order, LittleBigPlanet 3, Bloodborne, Ratchet, Sucker Punch next project, MLB The Show (annual franchise), Gran Turismo 7, Uncharted 4, Guerrilla unknown project (at least a couple years into it), Santa Monica unknown project (also a couple of years into it), Quantic Dream (ditto).

So unless they do some massive cuts, it doesn't seem like there will be much of a drop-off of AAA titles compared to last gen. If they arent going to expand the roster of massive budget AAA titles, hopefully they will at least take some more risks with some more medium budget titles. I don't understand why games either have to have a giant $50 or $100 Million budget, or practically no budget. How about somewhere in between?

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

might = will apparently.

Also this was in response to where AAA titles are within the first year of the game being out and if you look at all the consoles in history, you'd see that we never get dozens of AAA exclusives in the first year. The cost of games is rising and this is something that concerns the entire industry, but go ahead and try to circle that back into your whole company doom and gloom stance. Not like all those first party studios are going to suddenly lose 80% of their budgets or even close and all those 3rd parties certainly aren't going to stop making games for the top selling system, so this is yet another stupid thread.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lostrib

@2Chalupas said:

That being said, they have a pretty good roster of AAA budget games either deep in development, or just starting development. Driveclub, The Order, LittleBigPlanet 3, Bloodborne, Ratchet, Sucker Punch next project, MLB The Show (annual franchise), Gran Turismo 7, Uncharted 4, Guerrilla unknown project (at least a couple years into it), Santa Monica unknown project (also a couple of years into it), Quantic Dream (ditto).

So unless they do some massive cuts, it doesn't seem like there will be much of a drop-off of AAA titles compared to last gen. If they arent going to expand the roster of massive budget AAA titles, hopefully they will at least take some more risks with some more medium budget titles. I don't understand why games either have to have a giant $50 or $100 Million budget, or practically no budget. How about somewhere in between?

I don't think quantic dream is owned by sony

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

Can't this really be said across the board? AAA games are becoming more and more expensive these days, it's only logical to think we may start seeing less of them. Besides, for some reason, gamers only see "AAA" and "indie", which is too simplistic a categorization for the market. In fact, it would be nice to see broader ranges of games with reflective pricepoints. Not all games need to be $60, and we've started to see that more from Sony (I believe Into the Nexus and Puppeteer were both $40?).

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 darkangel115

@scottpsfan14 said:
@darkangel115 said:

@elpresador-911 said:

You're missing the articles point. If sony is saying you will see less of them because cost is too high, that would mean they would have their own studios pushing out smaller indie like games over big AAA games. Obviously ND wouldn't be one of them but MM, SSM, GG, SP etc could all wind up making smaller A or AA games instead

Oh and XB1 games are gonna be cheaper to make? This will be a common accurance across all platforms. it will require several times the work to develop more advanced games not just on PS4, but all platforms.

Of course not, but MS isn't the one saying that AAA games are getting too expensive so you should expect to see less but its ok because we have indies. MS has more money to fund these games.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 darkangel115

@lostrib said:

@elpresador-911 said:

...you were just bragging about the budget of games

lol backfire @elpresador-911

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Well, that's good. I guess...

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

@AM-Gamer said:

@darkangel115: the studio that God of war is working on a AAA title. So is Gurrellia.

Sony is always going to have their AAA games, they just wont release them at the same rate as previews gens.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

@2Chalupas said:

/thread

There'll still be a constant flow of big titles, i just can't see them taking quite the same gambles as last gen nor persisting with franchises that just aren't going pull a profit. I think it's titles like the Warhawk sequel, Twisted Metal, MAG, Heavenly Sword, Motorstorm Apocalypse or Socom that we won't be seeing this gen. They're all decent enough games to fill the release schedule but with the amount of quality multiplats i won't mind too much.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 darkangel115

@GTSaiyanjin2 said:

@AM-Gamer said:

@darkangel115: the studio that God of war is working on a AAA title. So is Gurrellia.

Sony is always going to have their AAA games, they just wont release them at the same rate as previews gens.

Of course ND will. with UC4 and possibly a TLOU2? either way ND games make sony money. Other studios I'm not so sure about. Infamous and KZ aren't exactly money making franchises plus sony is pushing a lot of F2P so one of their studios could wind up being a F2P studio (like H1Z1, Planetside 2, DCUO, Dust 514 etc) Indie games can make way more money with way less risk then AAA games can.

Elpresador-911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Elpresador-911

@lostrib: Its true though

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

i don't care about 200mil AAA games, give me cheap/quality AAA titles like Demon's Souls.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

@darkangel115 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@darkangel115 said:

@elpresador-911 said:

Oh and XB1 games are gonna be cheaper to make? This will be a common accurance across all platforms. it will require several times the work to develop more advanced games not just on PS4, but all platforms.

Of course not, but MS isn't the one saying that AAA games are getting too expensive so you should expect to see less but its ok because we have indies. MS has more money to fund these games.

Microsoft aren't going to fund games that don't turn a profit, they're every bit as susceptible to this as Sony and it's not like Yoshida is the only one saying this.

Personally the sooner the cost of triple A games comes down the better, it does little but continues the status quo ensuring the eighth revision of the same game released yearly with only minor improvements and the same rehashed formulas being put into any new IP. Sony's really been the only one to give something creative a shot in years.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 darkangel115

@hoosier7 said:

@darkangel115 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@darkangel115 said:

@elpresador-911 said:

Microsoft aren't going to fund games that don't turn a profit, they're every bit as susceptible to this as Sony and it's not like Yoshida is the only one saying this.

Personally the sooner the cost of triple A games comes down the better, it does little but continues the status quo ensuring the eighth revision of the same game released yearly with only minor improvements and the same rehashed formulas being put into any new IP. Sony's really been the only one to give something creative a shot in years.

Of course they wont, but they'll take chances on new IPs. they funded ryse, titanfalll (kinda) , scalebound, DR3, Sunset Overdrive, Forza + Horizon, Halo, Gears, quantum break that we know of recently that's 9 AAA games. MS said they invested 1 billion in bringing 15 exclusive games to xbox with 8 of them being new IPs at E3 last year. That's a lot of money to throw around. Meanwhile Sony promised me 20 games in the 1st year and never made it close. More like 5 or 6 by the time November rolls around and are now saying we will see less AAA games this gen then last. Not a good outlook IMO

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

So it looks like Ninty/FROM/Atlus is in the right. :P

I still would like my AAA games, but honestly maybe its a good idea for the bigger dev teams to focus on their costs. I mean Ubisoft/Activision has like a couple thousand guys working on one game? They might not be the best example as those games probably make back that year worth of work pretty quickly, but I think my point of AAA bloat still stands.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Oh, so its just gonna have games I can already get on my PC for much cheaper? Sounds awesome. lol

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

@mems_1224: They will put "Remastered" on the title of the ports and to the cows it will justify a full retail price.

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts

Lem should be use to that with no AAA average exclusive since 2011 and hyping flash game.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

@elpresador-911 said:

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

He's talking about games in general on all platforms, not just the PlayStation 4.

y7jzdgy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 y7jzdgy
Member since 2014 • 38 Posts

So there you have it right from Yoshida himself I don't think it gets more straight forward than that. I've said right from the start that Sony were cash strapped and that was the reason for all the indie love but fanboys will be fanboys and deny it.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

@y7jzdgy said:

So there you have it right from Yoshida himself I don't think it gets more straight forward than that. I've said right from the start that Sony were cash strapped and that was the reason for all the indie love but fanboys will be fanboys and deny it.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

Jesus some of the people answering to this and the TC as well

Yoshida is right in what he saying, Games are becoming more complex, more graphically intense more everything which means more development time, more cost, longer development cycles for most games, the fact is their won't be as many AAA titles in the short period, same goes for Xbox TC trying to start sh*t you can't finish, X1 more so than Sony we'll be getting alot of filler games while we wait for the AAA stuff to come out it's a reality, but why is this a bad thing??? due to the fact we had this with both the PS2 and XBOX and even the PS1, Indie games are becoming the middle-ware games we used to have i don't see a bad thing about this, Yoshida is just talking logic.

Avatar image for thatdudecangame
ThatDudeCanGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ThatDudeCanGame
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I have never understood why people only seem to focus upon AAA games anyway, a game doesn't need a huge budget to be great, i think a decent story and a decent combat system is enough to draw in fans, there is the utmost focus upon graphics and social integration yet these things are secondary or at least should be in relation to a great storyline.

y7jzdgy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By y7jzdgy
Member since 2014 • 38 Posts

@bezza2011 said:

Jesus some of the people answering to this and the TC as well

Yoshida is right in what he saying, Games are becoming more complex, more graphically intense more everything which means more development time, more cost, longer development cycles for most games, the fact is their won't be as many AAA titles in the short period, same goes for Xbox TC trying to start sh*t you can't finish, X1 more so than Sony we'll be getting alot of filler games while we wait for the AAA stuff to come out it's a reality, but why is this a bad thing??? due to the fact we had this with both the PS2 and XBOX and even the PS1, Indie games are becoming the middle-ware games we used to have i don't see a bad thing about this, Yoshida is just talking logic.

We all know Sony are in a tight position financially; unlike MS, so how does this effect them again? Ah yes, it doesn't! Very weak damage control and you make no sense.