Yoshida: Its not about individual Vita games anymore

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by BldgIrsh (3044 posts) -

http://www.gamrreview.com/news/91761/yoshida-its-not-about-individual-vita-games-any-more/

"There are lots of new Vita games, you can go and find little gems and there are lots of exciting games, but it's not about individual Vita games any more. It's more about how Vita can have multiple uses - with PS4 remote play, PS3 games with PS Now, and the dedicated games. The whole ecosystem with PS4 at the centre, the Vita's a part of that."

Its a shame that Sony has pretty much given up on the Vita as a console.

@bunchanumbers Here ya go.

#2 Posted by bunchanumbers (5709 posts) -

You're a gentleman and a scholar. I appreciate it

#3 Posted by BldgIrsh (3044 posts) -

@bunchanumbers said:

You're a gentleman and a scholar. I appreciate it

No problem. The least I could do for someone who posts constructive stuff on the GameSpot articles.

#4 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (2620 posts) -

You're either dumb, or can't read. Vita has a lot of games coming and already has a bunch of great ones already out for it. He's talking about incorporating the Vita in the whole Playstation universe, something the Wii U should have done with the 3DS instead of making that god awful useless gamepad for the Wii U.

#5 Posted by BldgIrsh (3044 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

You're either dumb, or can't read. Vita has a lot of games coming and already has a bunch of great ones already out for it. He's talking about incorporating the Vita in the whole Playstation universe, something the Wii U should have done with the 3DS instead of making that god awful useless gamepad for the Wii U.

Antagonizing the original TC isn't a great way to start an argument. And you are the last person on this forum board that should be name calling anyone at the moment...

#6 Edited by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

but don't expect much from sony: When asked if this means there will be less first-party titles on PS Vita, Yoshida replied, “I would say, yes, that’s correct.”

#7 Posted by Ghost120x (5258 posts) -

Like I said before, this is my last handheld from Sony. They totally missed the mark with this system and the remote play isn't going to help the system from an embarrassingly slow death. GREAT exclusive games is what saves platforms but Sony doesn't understand. I just read an article on ign how they were talking about the system selling power of Gta 3 for the ps2. Sony needs Gta or some equivalent on the vita ASAP.

Better luck next gen.

#8 Posted by Telekill (7610 posts) -

I'll repost my responses:

After Walking Dead Season 2 releases this October my PSV will be a fucking glorified PS4 accessory. Thanks for wasting my money Sony. PSV will be the last PlayStation handheld I buy.

@santoron: I enjoy console experiences on my handhelds. I did with my Game Gear. I did with my PSP. I did with my PSV. Sony doesn't support the PSV anymore. AAA third parties have barely supported it and don't look to be after this year at all.

Frankly, most indie games are shit in my opinion, barely decent enough to play on my phone let alone the gaming dedicated handheld I shelled out $300 for barely 2.5 years ago.

PSV is the handheld Dreamcast. So much potential that was cut short far too soon. It's the last PlayStation handheld I'll buy because I feel my money was literally wasted on this device.

#9 Posted by nintendoboy16 (34391 posts) -

Wow, Sony. Wow! I know people are going to call this post fanboyish when I say this, but not even Nintendo is giving up on the Wii U like this. Surely Yoshida, a man who respects Nintendo oh so highly, would actually take note of this with the Vita.

#10 Edited by inb4uall (6564 posts) -

@Telekill said:

I'll repost my responses:

After Walking Dead Season 2 releases this October my PSV will be a fucking glorified PS4 accessory. Thanks for wasting my money Sony. PSV will be the last PlayStation handheld I buy.

PSV is the handheld Dreamcast. So much potential that was cut short far too soon. It's the last PlayStation handheld I'll buy because I feel my money was literally wasted on this device.

I'll take that a step further. The vita will be the last time I support a Sony anything. Dropping support for a product of this type is simply unacceptable.

#11 Edited by SolidTy (49991 posts) -

"Sony's other big offering in 2014 is PlayStation TV, with the popular Vita TV being rebranded for its introduction to the west. "We decided to call it PlayStation TV, because it does way more than play PS Vita games. And used with PS4 with a companion device, it's a really strong proposition, so we called it PlayStation TV," said Yoshida.

And where does this leave Sony's own PlayStation Vita, some two years after its initial release?

"There are lots of new Vita games, you can go and find little gems and there are lots of exciting games," Yoshida said of the vibrant indie offering on display at E3 last month. "But it's not about individual Vita games any more. It's more about how Vita can have multiple uses - with PS4 remote play, PS3 games with PS Now, and the dedicated games. The whole ecosystem with PS4 at the centre, the Vita's a part of that."

---

Hmmm...I went to the source article and cut out the middle man spin piece.

It seems with Sony's unreleased PS TV support for the Vita should continue as PS TV essentially is a home-consoled Vita. They are going to get that product into homes and keep the install base growing.

It seems he's trying to play up the library whilst simultaneously promote PS TV and the Vita's multiple uses. It seems the message is muffled a bit, but if the message is not muffled, that's too bad. It doesn't make sense to hurt your own company though...We'll see how this latest interview plays out. I expect an elaboration or correction in a day or two.

#12 Posted by picklesurprise (185 posts) -

Par for the course for Sony.

#13 Posted by bunchanumbers (5709 posts) -

@nintendoboy16: Nintendo's showing at E3 is pretty telling about their support for the Wii U. There are many games I'm interested in coming to Wii U. I was kinda hoping that the same thing that happened with PSP happened to Vita. Franchises I never thought I would see again showed up there. FF7, Parasite Eve etc. I know they weren't the best of games but it was kind of exciting to see them make an appearance.

#14 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (2620 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

but don't expect much from sony: When asked if this means there will be less first-party titles on PS Vita, Yoshida replied, “I would say, yes, that’s correct.”

Vita sales are picking up, and Vita has enough power for a handheld to last another 8 years or so, I bet the next Nintendo handheld won't even be as powerful as the Vita. First party titles will release once sales reach a certain milestone.

#15 Posted by Gaming-Planet (19137 posts) -

You should never give up your products like that. You should instead beat it like a dead horse.

#17 Edited by bunchanumbers (5709 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames: So you're saying that the vita will live for another 8 years even with Sony announcing less AAA support for it? It would be a pretty tough existence. Especially since its now being marketed as a accessory to PS4. It might live that long, but not as a console. It'll be a second screen or ps4 streaming device. Maybe I could be wrong but usually when the manufacturer of the device has rolled back support... the device doesn't last much longer after.

#18 Posted by Telekill (7610 posts) -

@inb4uall: That's the weird thing here though. Sony is doing everything right with PS4 and everything wrong with PSV. It's like night and day or two different companies calling the shots.

I don't understand it.

#19 Posted by R4gn4r0k (27741 posts) -

That's loser talk

#20 Edited by santoron (8583 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

I'll take that a step further. The vita will be the last time I support a Sony anything. Dropping support for a product of this type is simply unacceptable.

Ridiculous hyperbole.

Sony is not dropping support - either in software or general platform support - for the Vita and have never claimed anything of the sort. Even in the quote he specifically mentions dedicated games for Vita. They've simply said that there would be fewer first party titles, which considering they are now developing for 3 platforms instead of two, isn't very surprising.

Be frustrated. Be pissed off. Boycott Sony, for all I care. But can we for once react to what they actually said and not what SW can twist it into?

@bunchanumbers said:

@ps4hasnogames: So you're saying that the vita will live for another 8 years even with Sony announcing less AAA support for it? It would be a pretty tough existence. Especially since its now being marketed as a accessory to PS4. It might live that long, but not as a console. It'll be a second screen or ps4 streaming device. Maybe I could be wrong but usually when the manufacturer of the device has rolled back support... the device doesn't last much longer after.

Sony didn't announce less AAA support for it. They announced fewer first party titles, whereas AAA support comes from publishers all over. And why would that be a tough existence? Not all platforms have a huge 1st party stable to begin with. See XBox. See PC.

Vita is being marketed in different ways to different markets at different times. In Japan, where handheld gaming is still doing great OK, they focus on it's library. In NA, Remote play has been the message getting the best response. The versatility of the device was being touted in TC's quote, INCLUDING dedicated games, but everyone wants to ignore that part.

Vita has good developer support due to its huge attach rate. It's sales have increased recently in NA, Europe, and Japan, and the western release of the PSTV has the potential to add another large pool of Vita-compatible devices. That doesn't sound like Sony is walking away from the platform at all. They are simply adjusting their limited development budget between an increasing number of platforms. Supporting a platform as the platform creator means a helluva lot more than just making software.

#21 Posted by inb4uall (6564 posts) -

@santoron said:

@inb4uall said:

Ridiculous hyperbole.

Sony is not dropping support - either in software or general platform support - for the Vita and have never claimed anything of the sort. Even in the quote he specifically mentions dedicated games for Vita. They've simply said that there would be fewer first party titles, which considering they are now developing for 3 platforms instead of two, isn't very surprising.

Be frustrated. Be pissed off. Boycott Sony, for all I care. But can we for once react to what they actually said and not what SW can twist it into?

@bunchanumbers said:

Sony didn't announce less AAA support for it. They announced fewer first party titles, whereas AAA support comes from publishers all over. And why would that be a tough existence? Not all platforms have a huge 1st party stable to begin with. See PC.

Vita is being marketed in different ways to different markets at different times. In Japan, where handheld gaming is still doing great OK, they focus on it's library. In NA, Remote play has been the message getting the best response. The versatility of the device was being touted in TC's quote, INCLUDING dedicated games, but everyone wants to ignore that part.

Vita has good developer support due to its huge attach rate. It's sales have increased recently in NA, Europe, and Japan, and the western release of the PSTV has the potential to add another large pool of Vita-compatible devices. That doesn't sound like Sony is walking away from the platform at all. They are simply adjusting their limited development budget between an increasing number of platforms. Supporting a platform as the platform creator means a helluva lot more than just making software.

I'm not reacting to what they said. I'm reacting based on my experience as a consumer. Yes the indie games they are offering are all fine and dandy. However the vita is certainly not the system they originally advertised it to be.

#22 Edited by super600 (32423 posts) -

@santoron said:

@inb4uall said:

Ridiculous hyperbole.

@bunchanumbers said:

Sony didn't announce less AAA support for it. They announced fewer first party titles, whereas AAA support comes from publishers all over. And why would that be a tough existence? Not all platforms have a huge 1st party stable to begin with. See XBox. See PC.

It will most likely be a temporary increase in NA. The vita will start to sell as much as it did in a single month last year in a normal month in a month or two.The weekly numbers for the Vita in Japan will also go back to around 10k or under 10k on weeks when software is not released.

#23 Posted by PapaTrop (1792 posts) -

Sony needs to start releasing games for both their platforms. Not just the Vita.

Granted, it seems dedicated handhelds are on their way out anyways, so whatever.

#24 Posted by inb4uall (6564 posts) -
@super600 said:

@santoron said:

@inb4uall said:

Ridiculous hyperbole.

@bunchanumbers said:

It was a temporary increase in NA. Vita will start to sell as much as it did in a single month last year in a normal month in a month or two.The numbers in Japan will also go back to be close to 10k or under 19k on weeks when software is not released.

Source?

#25 Edited by cainetao11 (33565 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

I think he means that there aren't going to be anymore like KZ Mercenary, Uncharted and the like. Sure a lot of games coming, but what about fully developed, from ground up for Vita in the sense of AAA? My phone has a lot of games coming also, but none are all that interesting to me. Sony hasn't abandoned the Vita, but they have abandoned developing major exclusive AAA for it I bet.

#26 Posted by jsmoke03 (13696 posts) -

that is sony throwing in the towel guys....

#27 Posted by fueled-system (6529 posts) -

Just glad the rpg's on the system were/are good else man feel bad for anyone who bought this and hates jrpgs

#28 Posted by cainetao11 (33565 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

Wow, Sony. Wow! I know people are going to call this post fanboyish when I say this, but not even Nintendo is giving up on the Wii U like this. Surely Yoshida, a man who respects Nintendo oh so highly, would actually take note of this with the Vita.

Maybe he doesn't respect Nintendo. Maybe he is a human being which means he is capable of lying

#29 Posted by Senor_Kami (8529 posts) -

Vita could have a great life by default if they keep on making it for the life of the PS4. It will eventually win the war of attrition.

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
#30 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (3347 posts) -

I don't expect them to make another handheld. I'd be surprised if they do.

#31 Edited by 2Chalupas (6693 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

I think he means that there aren't going to be anymore like KZ Mercenary, Uncharted and the like. Sure a lot of games coming, but what about fully developed, from ground up for Vita in the sense of AAA? My phone has a lot of games coming also, but none are all that interesting to me. Sony hasn't abandoned the Vita, but they have abandoned developing major exclusive AAA for it I bet.

Can't blame them based on sales.

However instead of throwing in the towel on AAA, would like them to try some more mid-budget games that at least have some ambition. I don't think the platform is going to last long at all if it's just about PS4 cross play and some indy games. Any platform needs at least SOME support in terms of exclusive experiences.

The Vita isn't totally dead yet because of some Japanese games in the pipeline. But it's getting awfully close, and Sony's strategy of "no games" is just going to ensure it happens sooner rather than later.

#32 Posted by santoron (8583 posts) -

@super600 said:

It will most likely be a temporary increase in NA. The vita will start to sell as much as it did in a single month last year in a normal month in a month or two.The weekly numbers for the Vita in Japan will also go back to around 10k or under 10k on weeks when software is not released.

Maybe, but I'm not going to pretend to know the future. We've seen ww demand trend upward and Sony says demand is increasing since the PS4 launch. Until the current supply constraints are fixed we won't have a solid answer, but we have no evidence to assume it's going to start trending backwards. I'll let the actual numbers speak for themselves while enjoying a great year of Vita games.

#20V1T4. :P

#33 Posted by TwistedShade (3139 posts) -

Basically it's an add-on for the PS4 now and nothing more. Pretty sad that Sony's pretty much admitting that and they've basically said FU to their fans that have adopted the system.

#34 Posted by bbkkristian (14971 posts) -

Whelp, looks like it's going to be a sub-par Wii U controller for my PS4.

Jk. When There's so much Japanese games coming out for it, who cares about Sony's games on a Vita?

No but seriously, it is a terrible controller for ps4. Aiming on the tiny nub of an analog is difficult and loses much of its precision. And GAWD the terrible back touch screen. I wanna throw it against a wall every time a Dev maps a control to it.

#35 Posted by final_lap (388 posts) -

Mind you they're not giving up on the VIta. They're basically just being aware of the fact that PS4 is more popular so they are simply trying to sell Vita's to PS4 owners. And another thing they are probably doing is trying to make it sound like Vita is not supposed to be great as a standalone system. With this plan they are trying to sidestep complaints about the lack of games; they hope people will be more forgiving on the Vita. "oh you see, Vita meant to be supplemental. your expectations were too high. The Vita is great at what it is." That's the way I interpret it.

Balancing two systems has never been easy. Dare I say it almost seems to not make sense. Every time a PSP or Vita game comes out, people complain that it wasn't made for console instead.

#36 Posted by illmatic8582 (674 posts) -

I don't think the Vita needs AAA $35-40 games. These games are better on the big screen anyway. I would like higher quality original indies in the $15-$30 range. Games like Child of Light are good. Also Stealth Clone.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#37 Edited by Bread_or_Decide (25359 posts) -

Geesh what a failed platform. What a shame. Shame on you Sony. So glad I never wasted money on this stupid abandoned hand held.

#38 Posted by nintendoboy16 (34391 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Geesh what a failed platform. What a shame. Shame on you Sony. So glad I never wasted money on this stupid abandoned hand held.

Didn't you look forward to owning one at one point?

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#39 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (25359 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Didn't you look forward to owning one at one point?

Yeah until all this happened. And all it would have taken was ONE exclusive metal gear solid game to rope me in. No Acid 3? I wasn't asking for much.

#40 Posted by Legend002 (13385 posts) -

Good. They can now focus all of their resources on the quad.