• 99 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Yes or No - is Kojima a good writer? (103 votes)

yes 50%
no 50%

I'd say he is a very entertaining writer and that's all that matters to me as a gamer. Eccentric is probably the better word. Sure some say the MGS storyline is convoluted and messy, but there's nothing really like it and I enjoy reading about Snake & Big Boss's tale. What say you, SW?

• 
Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#51 Wiimotefan
Member since 2010 • 4151 Posts

@Gue1:

I hear that man, I wish Kojima didn't create main line MGS games for handhelds. PW is still good though, I actually found it more enjoyable than MGS4.

Anyways if you want to watch the full gameplay segment, here is the Youtube link.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

Good writer? Lulz, no. Just got the MGS legacy collection to play through the complete thing before Phantom Pain arrives and the writing is laughably bad. Codec conversations are especially painful. It's still highly entertaining to me. But I also consider movies with Dolph Lundgren highly entertaining, so...

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

Short answer: no

Long answer: nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

hahaha God no. He's good at the type of stuff he does but in general writing terms his stuff is pretty crappy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

why is it a yes or no question? :P

Yes Kojima is a good writer, but he is horrible at keeping twists and sequals intertwine in a none messy way.

Maybe he simply ain't taking it seriously, or he just loses focus and finished the MGS series in his head long ago. But the first MGS games and Zone of the enders points to "yes"

So perhaps he simply sucks at making long running series? ^^

GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#56 GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

signed in just to say YES!

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#57  Edited By donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

He is but he is also from a very different culture than ours, despite the fact that he draws much of his inspiration from Western movies and such to appeal to a broader audience. It's like watching your own culture in a convoluted funhouse mirror. It's so fascinating.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@donalbane said:

He is but he is also from a very different culture than ours, despite the fact that he draws much of his inspiration from Western movies and such to appeal to a broader audience. It's like watching your own culture in a convoluted funhouse mirror. It's so fascinating.

That's probably the best description of it I have heard, yet. Kojima may not be a good writer in terms of what gets lost in the translation directly and some of the cheese comes across as unnecessary if we're speaking strictly academically. However, he is a GREAT storyteller and that is why millions of people come back for more Metal Gear. The universe he has created is plenty captivating.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

He's solid, but not better than Cage.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#60 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

No he isn't.

The mgs universe is one big retconned,convoluted,nanomachine filled bullshit.It's not even comical at this point.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@donalbane said:

*givethismanacookie.jpg*

Really, that's a perfect way to put it.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#62 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

@ButDuuude said:

I don't think he takes the writing very seriously, but has fun creating his games.

MGS2 was seriously convoluted but still I loved it:) I am slightly disappointed that he lied about MGS4 being the last MGS and then releasing MGS5.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#63  Edited By drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

by video game standards, hes a great writer.

by film/literature standards, hes average.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#64  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@drekula2 said:

you know why you're wrong? Because writing for video games is much more difficult than doing it for a film. That's why we can't compare.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#65 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
@Gue1 said:

@drekula2 said:

you know why you're wrong? Because writing for video games is much more difficult than doing it for a film. That's why we can't compare.

Degree of difficulty wouldn't change the fact that the other mediums have higher standards for writing, because they have flat out better written stuff top to bottom.

Ergo his point stands. Though he was being a bit nice. Even by videogame standards he isn't that good, and by film/lit standards he'd be atrocious.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

hes just ok... Naughty Dog has the best writers imo

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

**** no.

he is highly entertaining and rebellious, but he's a completely shit writer. No one in the games industry writes more atrocious dialogue, and gets praised for straight fluff bullshit. He's admirable in how bat shit insane his games are, and how forward thinking some of his game design is in spite of how backwards his story telling technique can be. And yes every now and then he has moments of brilliance in his plots (Snake Eater), but otherwise **** NO. No. I say this as someone who thinks MGS5 is going to be the best game of next year, **** NO!

If you honestly think he is, it's because you aren't well versed in vastly superior story telling mediums.

Came into thread solely to see your response. You did not disappoint.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

I think he took it way too far. Some of his ideas were really clever but 1 hour long Cut scene in video games is just crazy!

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#69 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

@Gue1 said:

@drekula2 said:

Degree of difficulty wouldn't change the fact that the other mediums have higher standards for writing, because they have flat out better written stuff top to bottom.

Ergo his point stands. Though he was being a bit nice. Even by videogame standards he isn't that good, and by film/lit standards he'd be atrocious.

Definitely.

In the lit world, a writer like JK Rowling is seen as "average" or "pedestrian" (in terms of technical writing skill that is) and she's a heck of a lot better than Kojima.

That being said, I'd take a Kojima story over novels by bad writers like Dean Koontz and James Patterson any day of the week.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By GreySeal9
@Gue1 said:

@drekula2 said:

Iol. What kind of logic is this?

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#71  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Bunch of haters in here man, It wouldn't be MGS if it wasn't absolutely insanity mixed with some plausible truths.

Pmc's, Drones, The constant threat of Nuclear war are all things that are a part of todays battlefield, Metal gears are just around the corner. I'm sure many of you have no idea how advanced drone research is coming along. Prosthetic implants are also becoming more and more common among soldiers.

I doubt I'd like MGS as much if it took itself so seriously. Kojima still has some of the best characters in any video game, big boss is the greatest soldier that ever lived and will ever live.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 jg4xchamp

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Bunch of haters in here man, It wouldn't be MGS if it wasn't absolutely insane mixed with some plausible truths.

I doubt I'd like MGS as much if it took itself so seriously. Kojima still has some of the best characters in any videogame, big boss is the greatest soldier that ever lived and will ever live.

Um the problem is when MGS tries to take itself seriously and when it's trying to be in on the joke.

It's not dissing, by any measure of writing technique Kojima would be poor. On script writing alone he is out right shit at it.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@underdog123x said:

He's the M Night Shaymalan of video games, interesting idea, bad execution

Anyone who thinks otherwise is a loon

Perfect analogy.

His ideas seem great until you see the way he ham-handedly executes them.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@jg4xchamp said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Bunch of haters in here man, It wouldn't be MGS if it wasn't absolutely insane mixed with some plausible truths.

I doubt I'd like MGS as much if it took itself so seriously. Kojima still has some of the best characters in any videogame, big boss is the greatest soldier that ever lived and will ever live.

Um the problem is when MGS tries to take itself seriously and when it's trying to be in on the joke.

It's not dissing, by any measure of writing technique Kojima would be poor. On script writing alone he is out right shit at it.

His dialogue is absolutely fantastic however, there's so many quotable MGS lines.

I disagree and agree with you to a certain extent. What he really needs is a talented editor. Luckily MGS5 is looking to be the polar opposite of MGS4.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By GreySeal9

On a related note, I think people are a bit too hard on videogame stories that at least put in the effort.

Granted, they pale in comparison to film/literature/television, but I still think many video game stories are still beautiful, thought provoking, thematically interesting, and suspenseful on their own merits, and they can create atmosphere in a way that's incredibly unique. Plus, there are tons of memorable characters in gaming. The problem is that the execution is just not there most of the time. Good ideas are compromised by rough storytelling. I was just watching my brother play through Final Fantasy VIII and it had tons of beautiful and suspenseful moments and some brilliant thematic stuff, but the translation was just plain shoddy and the story had so many bizarre holes. It was a beautiful mess.

However, I will say that most video games don't even try.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 jg4xchamp

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

His dialogue is absolutely fantastic however, there's so many quotable MGS lines.

I disagree and agree with you to a certain extent. What he really needs is a talented editor. Luckily MGS5 is looking to be the polar opposite of MGS4.

Brief moments of brilliance don't overrule a complete lack of consistency. He makes dialogue that regurgitates itself. If you need an editor because you can't see that, you're not good at dialogue. You would be poor.

Videogames don't get to be in a vacuum where the other mediums with better writers don't exist. If we need to put him in a bubble to justify his status, he's not good.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#77 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@GreySeal9: I won't dive into the entire ins and outs of video game stories, but one thing a lot of games fumble up big time in is pacing.

Movies and books are all stories. Movies especially have the advantage of being watched in one session. Games are often trying to tell a story in an experience that lasts many hours while trying to cram in as much gameplay as possible.

That means that you can go hours just shooting dudes in the face while nothing of value in the story occurs, so the game tries to hamfistedly give an elongated cutscene to make up for it. Or sometimes they cram too many cutscenes between minimum amounts of gameplay for exposition's sake, which pisses me off in games like MGS.

I think you're right, video games have a lot of merits to stand on their own with other mediums. Games like Metroid Prime, Gears of War 1, Dark Souls, and so on take advantage of this. But so many other games throw unique qualities like atmosphere away when they can't pace themselves for shit.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By GreySeal9

@Blabadon said:

@GreySeal9: I won't dive into the entire ins and outs of video game stories, but one thing a lot of games fumble up big time in is pacing.

Movies and books are all stories. Movies especially have the advantage of being watched in one session. Games are often trying to tell a story in an experience that lasts many hours while trying to cram in as much gameplay as possible.

That means that you can go hours just shooting dudes in the face while nothing of value in the story occurs, so the game tries to hamfistedly give an elongated cutscene to make up for it. Or sometimes they cram too many cutscenes between minimum amounts of gameplay for exposition's sake, which pisses me off in games like MGS.

I think you're right, video games have a lot of merits to stand on their own with other mediums. Games like Metroid Prime, Gears of War 1, Dark Souls, and so on take advantage of this. But so many other games throw unique qualities like atmosphere away when they can't pace themselves for shit.

I want to add something to this, but I can't really say it any better. Pacing is by far the worst enemy of video game stories. Some games do narrative pacing better than others, but I've actually never seen a game actually do it well. At least nothing comes to mind immediately.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@rnd_9 said:

@nethernova said:

Good writer? Lulz, no. Just got the MGS legacy collection to play through the complete thing before Phantom Pain arrives and the writing is laughably bad. Codec conversations are especially painful. It's still highly entertaining to me. But I also consider movies with Dolph Lundgren highly entertaining, so...

Agreed with this, Kojima's writing is about as compelling as something you'd see on trashy reality TV, but its entertaining to the point where its at least worth playing through to get a few giggles out of.

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Bunch of haters in here man, It wouldn't be MGS if it wasn't absolutely insanity mixed with some plausible truths.

Pmc's, Drones, The constant threat of Nuclear war are all things that are a part of todays battlefield, Metal gears are just around the corner. I'm sure many of you have no idea how advanced drone research is coming along. Prosthetic implants are also becoming more and more common among soldiers.

I doubt I'd like MGS as much if it took itself so seriously. Kojima still has some of the best characters in any video game, big boss is the greatest soldier that ever lived and will ever live.

Wow...nice attempt at totally derailing the thread. And if you believe Big Boss aka the Snake Pliskin carbon copy is a good character then you've probably had limited experience with characters that are actually compelling

And what exactly of value did you add to this thread besides a sorry little rant?

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By GreySeal9
@rnd_9 said:

@nethernova said:

Agreed with this, Kojima's writing is about as compelling as something you'd see on trashy reality TV,

While I agree that MGS is not as deep as its fanboys think it is (more convoluted than deep), I think comments like this lack perspective. Why exactly do you think an MGS plot in comparable to something like Jersey Shore?

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 ReadingRainbow4

@rnd_9 said:

@ReadingRainbow4:

Don't worry, after the MGS series dies out you can always find Kojima directing some low budget films in some remote part of Japan that no one's heard of.

Your intelligence is really on full display with that comment. Forget we talked please.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Blabadon

@GreySeal9: Uncharted 2 is actually a pretty decent example. It's pretty much an Indy rip off but as a story done quite well until the last few chapters take a turn for the dumb and drag.

I'll admit, I haven't played many old RPGs, but their more pure view of Japanese storytelling intrigues me.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By GreySeal9

@Blabadon said:

@GreySeal9: Uncharted 2 is actually a pretty decent example. It's pretty much an Indy rip off but as a story done quite well until the last few chapters take a turn for the dumb and drag.

I'll admit, I haven't played many old RPGs, but their more pure view of Japanese storytelling intrigues me.

Yeah, it's quite interesting to see how the Japanese storytelling differs from Western storytelling: it's much less linear and much less concerned with logical rules, etc.

While I think UC2's story is trite, I will admit that it is very well paced by game standards.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 ReadingRainbow4

@GreySeal9 said:
@rnd_9 said:

@nethernova said:

Agreed with this, Kojima's writing is about as compelling as something you'd see on trashy reality TV,

While I agree that MGS is not as deep as its fanboys think it is (more convoluted than deep), I think comments like this lack perspective. Why exactly do you think an MGS plot in comparable to something like Jersey Shore?

I wouldn't hold out for a coherent answer if I were you.

@rnd_9 said:

Wow that looks awful. I see the dumbed down the AI even worst than MGS4 probably because most MGS players don't have the skill to play anything that actually provides a challenge.

Coupled with more of Kojima's awful story telling and this game will be lucky to get an AA, since it no longer has the hype that MGS4 had.

Good riddance, after this game flops maybe Kojima can go direct some low budget porn or something.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Blabadon

For MGS fans or people simply interested in analysis of the series, search up the channel Matthewmatosis on YouTube. Very good critique and analysis of the series' games, motifs, character, and overall story.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 GreySeal9

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@GreySeal9 said:
@rnd_9 said:

@nethernova said:

I wouldn't hold out for a coherent answer if I were you.

@rnd_9 said:

Wow that looks awful. I see the dumbed down the AI even worst than MGS4 probably because most MGS players don't have the skill to play anything that actually provides a challenge.

Coupled with more of Kojima's awful story telling and this game will be lucky to get an AA, since it no longer has the hype that MGS4 had.

Good riddance, after this game flops maybe Kojima can go direct some low budget porn or something.

Yeah, this guy is very stupid and obnoxious. I'm pretty sure he's an Underdog123x alt account.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts
@Blabadon said:

For MGS fans or people simply interested in analysis of the series, search up the channel Matthewmatosis. Very good critique and analysis of the series' games, motifs, character, and overall story.

I didn't know you were Irish

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Blabadon

@SolidGame_basic: That's not me lol.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

No.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

No.

He had a good story in MGS, but the writing and presentation brought it down.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e
deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e
Member since 2012 • 546 Posts

His writing is very Evangelion. Convoluted garbage

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#95 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Kojima is terrible writer .

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

For videogame standards he´s ok,kinda good sometimes but not even close to the best. Overall though,he´s mediocre as hell.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@speak_low said:

I do like some of the characters and concepts that Kojima created for the MGS series. They're more interesting than your average game. But many story arcs and scenes are also way too convoluted and full of itself. And for a series brimming with effusive pop culture references, the writing for MGS's dialogue is flat, morose and unmemorable. And it goes on and on and on in scenes where you feel like you're forcing yourself to enjoy a cutscene sometimes, looking anywhere for a point of interest to stay awake (a blurry texture in the corner, a crudely-rendered edge of a shirt, Snake's nose...)

Really good works of art have writers who possess a viciously good economy with words, and understands scale, nuance and proportion so much that it would make the classic poets and sculptors weep with immense pride. Lines of dialogue shouldn't fall dead to the floor, but lift themselves closer to us, striking us with human truths and potent Ideas. You should feel a bracing exhilaration when its over. The bloated MGS series, on the other hand, needs LOTS of desperate pruning. And you're not entirely sure what the hell was just said after many scenes. It feels important because they talk profoundly - slowly - so it must be deep. Somehow. The MGS largely gets a pass because video game storytelling standards are so low and the wait for them is so terribly long. So that uneven, narrative lumpiness and confusing, meandering speeches are still forgiven (and a little too easily).

I once saw a comment section of little kids belligerently yelling at Roger Ebert for not calling video games art. They kept recommending that he play Bioshock, Shadow of the Colossus and the MGS games (yeah, like he was really going to do that). None of these kids have seen the best, finest films that Roger has seen in his lifetime, nor do much serious reading. And here these pipsqueaks were trying to 'school' Ebert on the standards of art, as if they were connoisseurs with classy aesthetical taste now. The fact that "the list" they presented to him was so short - and questionable - is what's embarrassing for gaming (it's getting better but these kids needs to stop thinking games should win Cannes awards).

Luckily I registered for an account, right then and there, and put them back in their place. That's how we do things in the Chicago Sun Times. Don't bring a sprite knife to a polygonal gun fight.

I wholeheartedly agree. Games will never transcend certain boundaries since they are always (with maybe the exception of the likes of Dear Esther) bound to be objective-based (whereas IMO the best films are anything but this). They'll always strive for providing as much continuity and transparency to the player as they can, and that's what kills any artistic potential, especially if you're familiar with auteur cinema.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

He was a great writer but his writing has been at a decline.

Excellent: MGS2, MGS3
Decent: MGS1
BioWare: MGS4

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

I voted yes, but it's really yes AND no ;)

He's quite brilliant in his use of tropes, clichés and trolling.

MGS2 was a Meta masterpiece.