Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45094 Posts

https://www.destructoid.com/yakuza-creator-nagoshi-netease-report/

The creator of the Yakuza series is reportedly in talks to leave Sega for NetEase. Bloomberg reports that Toshihiro Nagoshi is in “final negotiations” to depart the company, where he’s been since 1989.

People familiar with the matter tell Bloomberg that the final contract hasn’t been signed yet and duties have not yet been finalized, but Nagoshi would reportedly be expected to set up his own team and create new games.

Bloomberg characterizes this as part of an ongoing contest between NetEase and rival Tencent to pick up video game talent from Japan. The two have reportedly struck more than 20 deals in Japan so far, and according to Bloomberg’s report, are zeroing in on individual creators.

Nagoshi has worked on a number of major Sega franchises, ranging from Virtua Racing to directing Super Monkey Ball, and he’s also been very public-facing in his role as head of Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio, the team behind the Yakuza series. It may not be a death knell for Yakuza or its companion series, but it would be a noticeable loss.

NetEase did not respond to Bloomberg’s request for comment, while a Sega spokesperson told the outlet that it doesn’t comment on the employment status of individual employees.

Damn.. this is sad news.. I've never even heard of NetEase. Maybe Nagoshi might see the new Chinese restriction on gaming for kids and change his mind.

Thoughts, SW? You think Yakuza will be fine without Nagoshi?

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

The loss of Yu Suzuki was a bigger deal.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#4 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26095 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: I have seen Netease a lot on the App Store.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#5  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Yeah, nah. This is actually coming precisely because of the new Chinese video game restrictions, not in spite of it. Chinese companies are hedging their bets and diversifying away from the Chinese market, and are seeking talent and content with international appeal to do so.

In hindsight, Tencent have been well ahead of the curve. NetEase have a lot of catching up to do.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Some studios do fine carrying on fine without their lead figureheads. Some of these leads improve their career trajectories and grow out of these moves and others kind of flounder without the synergy of their previous teams. Which this is, I can't tell. But can't blame someone for trying to do what's better for themselves.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#7 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15913 Posts

Who knows, the change might leads to better yakuza games and them finally put the kamurocho map to die.

Avatar image for Amin_and_Azizah
Amin_and_Azizah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8  Edited By Amin_and_Azizah
Member since 2011 • 143 Posts

I would say good riddance to bad rubbish in regards to Toshihiro Nagoshi. I'm sure my fellow Nintendo Fanboy colleagues would agree with me. With this man out of the picture the Yakuza games can finally come to Nintendo platforms.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

Well, time for Sega to bring back Yu Suzuki and make Shenmue 4!

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 VatususReturns
Member since 2021 • 939 Posts

@Telekill said:

The loss of Yu Suzuki was a bigger deal.

Looking at how Shenmue 3 turned out... I dont think so

Yakuza > Shenmue

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#11 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@vatususreturns: Shenmue 3 was made on a tight Kickstarter budget, with a team of amateurs. That doesn't take anything away from Suzuki's legacy.

Yakuza is built off the Shenmue template. Suzuki was Nagoshi's mentor, and Nagoshi did well building on Suzuki's legacy.

The loss of Suzuki was a big blow to Sega back in the days. After he left, Sega declined and became a shadow of its former self. But Nagoshi helped rebuild Sega and take it back to the top.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#12 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Two points:

1. Nagoshi isn't just known for Yakuza, but he also designed arcade classics like Virtua Racing (under Yu Suzuki) and Daytona USA.

2. Tencent and NetEase are the two biggest Chinese game companies. Tencent has managed to make a name for itself internationally, whereas NetEase is still largely unknown internationally. This is part of NetEase's plans to expand internationally like Tencent have done.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#13 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@Jag85 said:

Two points:

1. Nagoshi isn't just known for Yakuza, but he also designed arcade classics like Virtua Racing (under Yu Suzuki) and Daytona USA.

2. Tencent and NetEase are the two biggest Chinese game companies. Tencent has managed to make a name for itself internationally, whereas NetEase is still largely unknown internationally. This is part of NetEase's plans to expand internationally like Tencent have done.

And Super Monkey Ball... but I ain't referencing the original console it appeared (alongside the arcade version of course).