uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58842 Posts

Sad news for the 2-3 people in the world who played this game, big delay. Next year, boo hoo.

Remake of cult cel-shaded shooter XIII delayed into next year

"To reach the level of polish we're aiming for".

Developer PlayMagic's remake of cult cel-shaded first-person shooter XIII will no longer release in November as originally announced, and is now expected to arrive next year.

An XIII remake was originally unveiled in April, much to the surprise of pretty much everyone old enough to have played the much-loved 2003 original first time around. However, despite publisher Microïds initial goal of a November launch, it's now confirmed a delay into 2020, stating that, while "thrilled" with PlayMagic's work so far, "additional development time is needed to reach the level of polish we're aiming for."

XIII, for those unfamiliar, was originally developed for PlayStation 2, Xbox, GameCube, and PC by Ubisoft Paris. As in the celebrated Belgian graphic novel series that inspired it, XIII charts the somewhat bullet-peppered adventures of its titular amnesiac hero, who finds his life rapidly beginning to unravel after waking on Brighton Beach and discovering that he's been accused of assassinating the President of the United States.

bisoft Paris' shooter, which Eurogamer called a "flawed masterpiece" in its 8/10 review in 2003, quickly found a loyal following thanks to its striking cel-shaded art-style and taut gunplay.

As part of its XIII remake announcement earlier this year, Microids said that it intended to "bring XIII's compelling story to a new generation of players with the best possible graphics and animation." Rather ballsily, it also promised that the end result would be "nothing short of spectacular". We'll know if it managed those ambitions when PlayMagic's remake arrives on PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC some time in 2020.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46198 Posts

We've seen literally nothing of this game. No screenshot. No trailer. Not even a lousy no-one-cares CGI trailer.

So I can't say I'm surprised by this delay.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

More like 2-3 people who heard of this new game.

I have the PS2 title myself, of course never played it. I picked it up like 10 years ago, so yeah, 2-3 people who played it.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#4 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15906 Posts

Your post just reminded me of Beyond good and Evil 2... 0 news on the game

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56036 Posts

Meh, nothing to really discuss about XIII anyways.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58842 Posts
@saltslasher said:

I have the PS2 title myself, of course never played it. I picked it up like 10 years ago, so yeah, 2-3 people who played it.

True. Which is really sad since it was one of the more unique and ambitious FPS at the time.

I think a remaster would have been fine, since it was highly stylised to begin with. It generally still is, (A) decent looking game with no touching up.

Loading Video...

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

I played it on PS2 15 years ago. I remember loving the visuals but the gameplay/controls sucked.

I hope they modernize them and this isn’t just a HD port.

I can’t imagine how awful that game plays now if I hated the controls then. Just doing simple things like using the grappling hook was far more annoying than it should have been.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#8 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24896 Posts

They have not shown anything gameplay yet so no surprised it delayed till next year.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@ajstyles said:

I played it on PS2 15 years ago. I remember loving the visuals but the gameplay/controls sucked.

playing FPS not even on console but PS2? thats why it sucked

on PC it was fine.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:
@saltslasher said:

True. Which is really sad since it was one of the more unique and ambitious FPS at the time.

I think a remaster would have been fine, since it was highly stylised to begin with. It generally still is, (A) decent looking game with no touching up.

Loading Video...

I for one glad its remake and not remastered. it need to be overhaul.

I think they should make cell shaded like COJ gunslinger

Not too cartoonish but have cell shaded stuff.

I dont like overly cartoonish.