Xenoblade Chronicles is the evolution that JRPGS need.

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tubbyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By tubbyc
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts

It's a huge mystery to me why it's so highly praised. When I first started playing it, I was pretty shocked at how bad it looked, but that didn't stop me from continuing. Then soon enough I found that the dialogue and voice acting was horrible. I thought maybe I wouldn't continue but I stuck with it for a long time, kind of got used to the characters, dialogue, and voice acting, and the story seemed decent. The main problem I had was the combat. I just couldn't fully get into it and got stuck on a boss. I wasn't really enjoying the game, so I let it go.

I did like the music though.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53  Edited By finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

@insanewolfninja said:

I have been playing for 40 hours and this game has the most charm and heart I have ever experienced. Characters are not angsty scared emo kids. They are optimistic and real people who you come to love and journey with.

optimisim is sorely missing in many stories in the medium and xenoblade does a great job reminding me anything is possible which its release in america shows that. Its the game proves anything is possible.

And the vast level designs and art direction on the wii is astonishing how they pulled such a feat off no one knows. But i can say this there is no longer a excuse for why a game on the wii including zelda skyward shouldnt have bigger or more dense level designs.

And the soundtrack is sublime I get pumped when I hear you will know our name during a boss.

Best jrpg since FFX imo just my opinion what do others think

Im sorry but I whole heartly disagree. Besides ryan and sharla everyone was a bore to be around. I really could less if they lived or died. I mainly kept going cause the universe itself was interesting and I wanted to learn more about it. The people in it not so much.THe gameplay was also fun. Its a good game but imo its way overrated.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Yeah it's a good game. I still haven't finished it yet, but I intend to pick it back up this holiday. But man, it also makes me excited for X.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#55  Edited By AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

I liked it a lot. Not sure if I want most jrpgs to adopt its mechanics but I wouldn't mind a couple more like xenoblade.

The single player mmo gameplay was nice and usually fun, but did have some dips in quality if you were trying to beat the game completely. Luckily I was pretty compulsive on this game, so I didn't mind completing the side quests even if some were really tedious.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Wish I could get my hand on it without paying a hefty price.

I have a physical copy, but i also have a PC capable of playing it at obscene resolutions under emulation. :P

Brilliant game definitely worth checking out. I'm sure there's somewhere you can get a cheap copy.

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

Shulk is pretty much a generic jrpg hero...

The biggest issue to me was the side quests, I'd rather have quality > quantitive side quests. Most Xenoblade side quests are very mmorpgish. Yeah there are thousands of them but most are like "Hey I'm on top of a cold mountain starving to death. Bring me... 2 chickens, 3 bananas and a cup of milk"... Or like the dude in the starting town "I'm scared of X monster, go kill 3 of them. "Now I'm scared of Y monster, go kill 3 of them" "Oh also, these Z monsters sound dangerous, go kill 5 of them."

In other word, it was a very big game but the whole world felt rather... mechanic... and lifeless. Like, yeah sure the town changes depending on the time of the day but nothing fun really happened happened anyway.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#58 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

@p3anut:

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

One of my top 5 games of all time. The world is just too awesome. Yeah Shulk isnt a great character or anything, but the others make up for it.

hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 hayato_
Member since 2007 • 5165 Posts

After playing Xenoblade and putting countless hours into I would say hell no.

The game is as archaic as older JRPGs and the plot was laughable at midpoint, although it started strong. The battle system was also shady at times to. Exploring was cool I do give it that but a big world map, or return to world maps doesn't grant it a pass. This game is basically for the nostalgic at best. I had more fun with The Last Story more than Xenoblade.

I'm looking forward to the "X" project on that final note.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By AznbkdX

@hayato_ said:

After playing Xenoblade and putting countless hours into I would say hell no.

The game is as archaic as older JRPGs and the plot was laughable at midpoint, although it started strong. The battle system was also shady at times to. Exploring was cool I do give it that but a big world map, or return to world maps doesn't grant it a pass. This game is basically for the nostalgic at best. I had more fun with The Last Story more than Xenoblade.

I'm looking forward to the "X" project on that final note.

Don't worry, you'll get your Xenoblade 2.0. Sounded like you REALLY loved the first one. :P

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

Yeah if you want Jrpgs to go backward. I am still waiting for Japan to realize they can make Wrpgs and still keep the anime artstyle, that seems to be the main issue with why they are not improving their actual RPG area of their supposed "RPGS".

Not all of them have to look like Betrayal at Krondor, granted, they should all play similar or better than it since it is the factually peak of turn based rpgs period.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

JRPGs don't evolve, everybody knows that !

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#64  Edited By Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

@GhoX said:

I tried getting into it three times. I just can't come to enjoy it.

It's crazy saying this, but that game felt like single-player WoW, with even more asininely boring side quests. Admittedly, I left WoW on poor terms, so the similar gameplay in Xenoblade was a huge turn-off for me. =/

Any tips on how I can enjoy this game?

Actually there is a trick to it. If you talk to an NPC you get a sidequest. If you linger around the quest giver for a second or two you will see they will get the quest icon above their heads again. You can take multiple sidequests from 1 NPC like this (5 or more at a time!).

My advice is to stock up on as many side-quests as you can like this and then instead of putting time aside to actually do them you will find you will come close to doing 80% of them anyway as you naturally progress. You'll kill 8/10 of the monsters for a quota anyway so it hardly takes effort to kill 2 more.

If you play the game this you end up being rewarded for stuff you would have mostly done anyway and you don't have to dedicate time and effort (well, not much) towards getting those rewards.

Anyway, back on topic; I definitely felt that Xenoblade was a forward thinking game; save anyway, time skip, location jumping. integration of battle/field exploration. It was like it took every good idea in the JRPG genre over the last few decades and then put them altogether in one game. Sadly it is way too combat heavy for my liking and doesn't have the characters/story I'd really want.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts

Sold my copy for £30 without playing it. Paid nothing for it.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 AznbkdX

@dobzilian said:

Sold my copy for £30 without playing it. Paid nothing for it.

The ****? Why you do that?

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By dobzilian

@AznbkdX:

Couple reasons. 1) Was dating some Lass and needed some extra cash to take her out (B!tch was playing me along) and 2) Needed a couple of pound to pay tuition fee's for BJJ / MMA.

I also sold the Metroid Prime Trilogy in fantastic condition for £30 when i paid £20.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By AznbkdX

@dobzilian said:

@AznbkdX:

Couple reasons. 1) Was dating some Lass and needed some extra cash to take her out (B!tch was playing me along) and 2) Needed a couple of pound to pay tuition fee's for BJJ / MMA.

I also sold the Metroid Prime Trilogy in fantastic condition for £30 when i paid £20.

Haha. :P

Damn man... Metroid Prime Trilogy as well? That sucks. :(

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By dobzilian

@AznbkdX: Also 2x Master Systems on Tuesday. Only have left a Amiga to sell and that be going next week as some hot milf wants to take me out.

Yup Prime Trilogy and Other M. Bad times.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#70  Edited By ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

For the low low price of $90 at Gamestop............

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#71 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

that's how I feel about the Persona series, but I feel Atlus is shooting themselves in the foot limiting the exposure to just one system, they should build a fanbase first then see about making it exclusive to the highest bidder

though in the case of Xenoblade Chronicles, Nintendo published it, it will be restricted to one console simply for that reason

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

@MonsieurX:

You can gamefly it? I have yet to play it, but maybe someday i will.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#73  Edited By madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

I don't know if it is the evolution of JRPGs, but i do know that the game is amazing and one of the best this gen. It was the first JRPG in years that made me feel like in the old days, when i used to play games like FFVI or Chrono Trigger.

However i still enjoyed more "traditional" JRPGs like Eternal Sonata, that game is pretty underrated IMO as far as gameplay goes...also the music is on par with Xenoblade Chronicles.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@Heil68 said:

@MonsieurX:

Not available.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Heil68

@MonsieurX said:

@Heil68 said:

@MonsieurX:

Not available.

Looks like it is to me:

http://www.gamefly.com/Rent-Xenoblade-Chronicles/5003708/

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#76 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

Hopefully not,that game is like a single player MMO for closet MMO lovers,that´s not where I would want the genre to go.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@Heil68 said:

@MonsieurX said:

@Heil68 said:

@MonsieurX:

Not available.

Looks like it is to me:

Available only in US

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Heil68

@MonsieurX said:

@Heil68 said:

@MonsieurX said:

@Heil68 said:

@MonsieurX:

Not available.

Looks like it is to me:

Available only in US

Bugger! Thought you was over here. Sorry mate ;)

manicfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#79  Edited By manicfoot
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts

Going to continue my second playthrough on my Wii U GamePad. I put 90 hours into my save. It just doesn't get boring for me. Could listen to that soudntrack forever!