XCom 2 Hype Thread. Hype Met. GS = 9.0 AAAE. PC Rocks!!!

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 thepclovingguy
Member since 2016 • 2059 Posts

@Motokid6 said:

But... Its turn based. You fucking take turns. Sounds horrible, no thank you.

it depends on whats your preference, I prefer playing real time tactic games over turn based tactic games, however; i dont mind playing grand strategy turnbased games such as civilisation and hearts of iron

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@thepclovingguy: you must be using a different controller

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 thepclovingguy

@mems_1224 said:

@thepclovingguy: you must be using a different controller

nope, I have tried using both a ps3 and an xbox 360 controller, but none of them are as good as a regular steam controller.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/353370/

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 thepclovingguy

Just setting up a steam controller is much easier and you can do it easily ingame.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 mems_1224

@thepclovingguy: how is setting up a steam controller much easier when all you have to do with an Xbox controller is plug it in?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#207 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

Nice score.. I'm still convinced it will come come to consoles, but I dont care if it doesn't. I'd buy it on Pc on a <$15 sale.

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 thepclovingguy

@mems_1224 said:

@thepclovingguy: how is setting up a steam controller much easier when all you have to do with an Xbox controller is plug it in?

are you just playing with me or something? You dont even need to setup the steam controller in some cases, a lot of steam games already have inbuild default settings even if some games that dont have any kind of controller support to begin with. With the xbox controller i am limited to games with controller support if I dont use third party programs. Most games dont even let you rebind the buttons for the xbox controller instead you have to rely on third party programs or by editing some files.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#209 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

Game's dope. I love the ambush mechanic, it helps even the odds a bit.

Edit: why am I not able to assign classes to my soldiers? Why does the game do this? I have a completely unbalanced squad due to this. I don't need to take 3 snipers on a mission because the game's dumb enough to give me more when I already have enough. This is a ****ing moronic design choice.

Well, so much for that complaint. Found a building that allows for the training of rookies into classes. Thank God, this was one of my biggest gripes about the first game. Also a black market where everything can be sold. Hallelujah!!

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#210  Edited By SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

@MirkoS77:

Don't sell all your stuff unless you really need the funds. Some of the mid game armors need a lot of corpses to research/build.

This game has it's claws deep in me already. Like 11 hours since yesterday afternoon, played until after 1am last night. Keep saying just one more mission...

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By MirkoS77

@SerOlmy said:

@MirkoS77:

Don't sell all your stuff unless you really need the funds. Some of the mid game armors need a lot of corpses to research/build.

This game has it's claws deep in me already. Like 11 hours since yesterday afternoon, played until after 1am last night. Keep saying just one more mission...

Do I hear that brother. I'm finding myself staying up until 7 or 8 in the morning when I have to get up by 11 for classes. Just ONE more. This game is exceptionally addicting, but I'm finding it's kicking my ass even on easy yet I still keep playing. I'm so glad I can finally decide the classes of my soldiers.....having the game do it for me sucked. It still requires the construction of a facility so it's not available at the outset (probably because they wanted to script it to formally introduce each class), but it's better than nothing.

One thing I want....it's underwhelming to only see 2-3 scientists or engineers in an operation like this. It's a relativistic argument, but it'd lend a bit more credence to the context of the game in scope if I had 25-50 engineers or scientists working around the ship, as well as having more money than a few hundred dollars (thousands would make it feel more significant). It just makes the game feel minimalistic when you're supposed to be traveling over the world and undertaking an enormous logistical effort.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#212 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

@MirkoS77:

If it makes you feel any better I'm 12 hours in and am about to unlock plated armors (already have mag weapons) and STILL haven't bothered to build a psionics lab. I'll get around to it soon, but I'm doing just fine without it on veteran difficulty atm so it hasn't been a priority.

Kozio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 Kozio
Member since 2015 • 781 Posts

XCOM 2 - Improving Performance and Graphical Tweaking.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 mems_1224

@kozio: awesome dude, thanks. That helped me a bunch.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

Having played to nearly the completion of the game,

As much as I enjoy this game, I still cannot help but feel disappointed with it overall. Maybe my standards and expectations were just too high after Long War, but I still feel like Firaxis could have done so much more. I also sorely miss the Second Wave optoins which added so much replay value to the first game.

Still a good, if not great game overall. But I will probably return to Long War after this until mods and patches fix and fleshes the game out.

Imperator7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 Imperator7
Member since 2016 • 79 Posts

Does it have the same reverse difficulty curve as Xcom 1? Even though I never really found Ironman classic that difficult at the beginning in 1 if you were careful, just curious if they did anything to keep the game harder once you start to max out stats/equipment loadouts.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

@imperator7 said:

Does it have the same reverse difficulty curve as Xcom 1? Even though I never really found Ironman classic that difficult at the beginning in 1 if you were careful, just curious if they did anything to keep the game harder once you start to max out stats/equipment loadouts.

I'd say the end is not as easy as Enemy Unkown/Within other than that commander feels quite the same as classic was, legend feels so far harder than impossible

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#218 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14893 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Game's dope. I love the ambush mechanic, it helps even the odds a bit.

Edit: why am I not able to assign classes to my soldiers? Why does the game do this? I have a completely unbalanced squad due to this. I don't need to take 3 snipers on a mission because the game's dumb enough to give me more when I already have enough. This is a ****ing moronic design choice.

Well, so much for that complaint. Found a building that allows for the training of rookies into classes. Thank God, this was one of my biggest gripes about the first game. Also a black market where everything can be sold. Hallelujah!!

Upgrade it and turn one of your soldiers into a leader.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Whoever was saying that Xcom 2 is easier than the original was drunk. This one is harder than the original... I'm playing on the 2nd hardest difficulty and its a pain. Having a time limit on most missions on its own is way more difficult and annoying. But then you have the fact that your enemies can move across the map and still attack once with their stun dildos. In Xcom, you could overwatch cheese with 2-3 snipers in your group and its gg for your enemies. You can't do any of that shit now. Not to mention that the aim was nerfed and you can't hit fuckall. Some places were so annoyingly difficult that i'm literally bitching at my screen at 12:30am.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#220 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Game is awesome, so many good improvements or additions from the last game.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 MirkoS77

@silversix_ said:

Whoever was saying that Xcom 2 is easier than the original was drunk. This one is harder than the original... I'm playing on the 2nd hardest difficulty and its a pain. Having a time limit on most missions on its own is way more difficult and annoying. But then you have the fact that your enemies can move across the map and still attack once with their stun dildos. In Xcom, you could overwatch cheese with 2-3 snipers in your group and its gg for your enemies. You can't do any of that shit now. Not to mention that the aim was nerfed and you can't hit fuckall. Some places were so annoyingly difficult that i'm literally bitching at my screen at 12:30am.

Try the timer removal mod. It has made the game exponentially more enjoyable to me.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By Maroxad

@imperator7 said:

As long as you dont lose your soldiers, I would say yes. By the end of the third month, I had access to plasma weaponry and power armor. I was so far ahead of the curve it wasnt funny, got kinda bored after a while though.

THe final mission is supposedly significantly harder than NuXCOM 1's final mission though.

@silversix_ said:

I'm playing on the second highest difficulty, I am near the end of the game, and I dont even get hit most missions. I exploit the living bleep out of Phantoms, grenadiers and gunsliners, oh and my psionic who can nearly instakill an entire group with void lance.

Like I said, power creep on both sides is quite strong here. But if you play this like NuXCOM 1, you will have a bad time.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 silversix_

@MirkoS77 said:
@silversix_ said:

Try the timer removal mod. It has made the game exponentially more enjoyable to me.

i was just thinking of installing it. Timed missions are the herpes of gaming. That is even worst when you're playing at higher difficulties and its easy to get 'Xcomed' and team wiped from 2 random ambushes.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 texasgoldrush

@Maroxad said:
@imperator7 said:

As long as you dont lose your soldiers, I would say yes. By the end of the third month, I had access to plasma weaponry and power armor. I was so far ahead of the curve it wasnt funny, got kinda bored after a while though.

THe final mission is supposedly significantly harder than NuXCOM 1's final mission though.

@silversix_ said:

I'm playing on the second highest difficulty, I am near the end of the game, and I dont even get hit most missions. I exploit the living bleep out of Phantoms, grenadiers and gunsliners, oh and my psionic who can nearly instakill an entire group with void lance.

Like I said, power creep on both sides is quite strong here. But if you play this like NuXCOM 1, you will have a bad time.

Yes, the new final mission is harder.

Put your Phantoms away, they are useless in this final mission. Take Assaults, Heavy Gunners, Combat Medics, and Snipers. A PSI Op with Void Lance is great, but not necessary, you get a special unit that blows the PSI OP away. But him and a PSI OP will make the mission easier.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 silversix_

This game is like Divinity OS. Hard af at the beginning but gets significantly easier later on. By the 3/4th of the game, unless your heavily leveled up characters died, it becomes easy and almost boring *maybe not on the Legendary difficulty, tho*. Wish the game stayed as hard as it is now

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By texasgoldrush

@silversix_ said:

This game is like Divinity OS. Hard af at the beginning but gets significantly easier later on. By the 3/4th of the game, unless your heavily leveled up characters died, it becomes easy and almost boring *maybe not on the Legendary difficulty, tho*. Wish the game stayed as hard as it is now

Not true....there are some really deadly aliens in the late game, some that will wipe out your team if you let them fire. The final mission is not easy.

And I have to fight Muton Centurions (with an official mod, they are the Muton Elites of XCOM 2), they make the mid game harder

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#227 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@silversix_ said:

I've had the opposite experience. Playing on normal, I found the first 10 hours to be not too bad difficulty wise, but each mission is nearly impossible now. I just ran into beserkers for the first time on a Alien retaliation mission and it thought it would be cool to spawn three of them in one group. Then after that, two mutons and a fourth beserker just wander in during the aliens turn. I can't do shit against that with my four guys.

It seems the further on I get, the worse my luck gets as well as my guys seem to get knocked unconscious every time they get hit by melee and miss 60-70% shots over and over and over.

I'm not really a fan of how the game handles new armor and weapons, I'd rather just build individual sets for cheap rather than having to spend a bunch of money to unlock snipers that only one or two characters will use. This seems like a step back and removes a strategic layer that worked well in Xcom EU.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 mems_1224

@with_teeth26 said:
@silversix_ said:

I've had the opposite experience. Playing on normal, I found the first 10 hours to be not too bad difficulty wise, but each mission is nearly impossible now. I just ran into beserkers for the first time on a Alien retaliation mission and it thought it would be cool to spawn three of them in one group. Then after that, two mutons and a fourth beserker just wander in during the aliens turn. I can't do shit against that with my four guys.

It seems the further on I get, the worse my luck gets as well as my guys seem to get knocked unconscious every time they get hit by melee and miss 60-70% shots over and over and over.

I'm not really a fan of how the game handles new armor and weapons, I'd rather just build individual sets for cheap rather than having to spend a bunch of money to unlock snipers that only one or two characters will use. This seems like a step back and removes a strategic layer that worked well in Xcom EU.

lmao i just quit that exact same mission and took a break. killed the berserker and the 3 soldiers and then moved up a bit and saw a viper and all kinds of other shit and immediately just quit to desktop.

i actually like that you only have to buy the weapons and armor once. there is more stuff to blow money on in this game so im still always hurting for cash. im actually buying the different gadgets which i almost never did in enemy unknown.

im probably going to have to restart though. the avatar project is over halfway done and im nowhere near getting to the 2 blacksites.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 with_teeth26

@mems_1224 said:
@with_teeth26 said:
@silversix_ said:

lmao i just quit that exact same mission and took a break. killed the berserker and the 3 soldiers and then moved up a bit and saw a viper and all kinds of other shit and immediately just quit to desktop.

i actually like that you only have to buy the weapons and armor once. there is more stuff to blow money on in this game so im still always hurting for cash. im actually buying the different gadgets which i almost never did in enemy unknown.

im probably going to have to restart though. the avatar project is over halfway done and im nowhere near getting to the 2 blacksites.

the fact you have so little money to spend on so much is exactly why I don't like this system - in EU you could spend less money to just get the armor and weapons where they will count most - eg. my sniper doesn't need fancy armor, and my specialist doesn't need a fancy gun. I don't want to blow 150 supply unlocking a weapon that only one soldier will use.

I'm probably going to have to restart as well though I'm not sure what I could have done differently to improve my current circumstances. I guess extract dead bodies more so I don't lose nice equipment and try harder at the start to get more engineers. Or better yet, lose less soldiers early on. I also learned the hard way that alien corpses are still needed to build items so selling them all on the black market is not the best idea.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By silversix_

@mems_1224 said:
@with_teeth26 said:
@silversix_ said:

Playing on commander?

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By silversix_

the game got so much easier since yesterday. Doing 'Difficult' missions with 5 man group all wearing standard armor was a pain in the ass. Now, i've unlocked the first armor and the 6th team member. Easy for *now*. Difficult rated missions don't feel difficult at all while even a normal rated mission was hard as ballz before with 5 man team and garbage armor.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

8 turn hack mission, 4 dudes with few ranks to their name, normal guns+armor, 2 turns left to hack and game drops you double stun lancer + advent soldier, legend diff is pretty close to pure agony at times. Those stun dildos have ridiculous hp on legend

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 Maroxad

@with_teeth26 said:
@silversix_ said:

You dont have the Guerilla tactics center? Get that thing as soon as you can. That will allow you to increase your unit cap to 5 or even 6.

I'm playing on commander, and nearly every group dies before they even get a chance to even take a shot at my guys.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 silversix_

@Maroxad said:
@with_teeth26 said:
@silversix_ said:

You dont have the Guerilla tactics center? Get that thing as soon as you can. That will allow you to increase your unit cap to 5 or even 6.

I'm playing on commander, and nearly every group dies before they even get a chance to even take a shot at my guys.

i do, that's the first i got. But i wasn't high enough to unlock the 6th member.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 with_teeth26

@Maroxad said:
@with_teeth26 said:
@silversix_ said:

yea I got it last night and that made things appreciably easier. I was focusing too much on primary objectives and should have built it before the proving grounds

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#236 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Any word on when the next major patches for this game are, I'd rather play it when that stuff is handled.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By MirkoS77

The difference in difficulty between easy and veteran (normal) is absurd.

I start out, the initial mission goes off without a hitch. Second one, I have to protect some piece of equipment the aliens are blasting 3 hp off per turn on. So I have four guys, run into three troopers (one an officer) and a sectoid, this is not counting two (or more) aliens in the back shooting the fucking thing every turn. So I engage the sectoid and troopers, which results in two of my troopers dead, one half life bar (panicked and useless), the other still good, and what happens? The game in its wisdom decides to drop three more Advent trooper reinforcements right behind me.

This is the first real mission, for crying out loud. Give me a break. Yet easy is such a cakewalk it's not even fun because there's no challenge. Here, it seems insurmountable. I don't know what's wrong with my tactics, I take cover, use grenades. This is impossible. It's not a challenge, it's just not fun.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 mems_1224

@jg4xchamp: I'd wait a few months dude, that game is in rough shape right now.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#239 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

Hype met? The metagame doesn't exist anymore. Games cant meet, exceed or flop, last I read. Anywho, enjoy the game to those that are into these. I tried the first and they just aren't my thing.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

I start out, the initial mission goes off without a hitch. Second one, I have to protect some piece of equipment the aliens are blasting 3 hp off per turn on. So I have four guys, run into three troopers (one an officer) and a sectoid, this is not counting two (or more) aliens in the back shooting the fucking thing every turn. So I engage the sectoid and troopers, which results in two of my troopers dead, one half life bar (panicked and useless), the other still good, and what happens? The game in its wisdom decides to drop three more Advent trooper reinforcements right behind me.

This is the first real mission, for crying out loud. Give me a break. Yet easy is such a cakewalk it's not even fun because there's no challenge. Here, it seems insurmountable. I don't know what's wrong with my tactics, I take cover, use grenades. This is impossible. It's not a challenge, it's just not fun.

hmm, that sounds like not much fun. I'd use a trainer-->god mode-->Infinite resources and wipe them off the planet :)

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

@cainetao11: AFAIK, you can base which gaming website score (or metacritic) and decide for it whether it flops or not according to the new rules. TS said he would use GameSpot on his earlier posts.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 mems_1224

I'm loving the game but giving it a 9 is a joke. It's more broken than the first game. This game has just bummed me out man. I might just go back to the first one for now

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

I'm loving the game but giving it a 9 is a joke. It's more broken than the first game. This game has just bummed me out man. I might just go back to the first one for now

I'm with you. The game runs like ass but most publications gave the performance issues a pass. And I'm running a top 1% rig. I have to give Dan at Giant Bomb props for his 3 star review. Technical issues should take away from a review score. Shame on all the other reviewers that either don't care or can't tell that there are performance issues in a game. The fanbase has outgrown the journalist base in this regard. Lets see which publications take notice.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 silversix_

Rocking a 6 man Specialists team, shit's funny. Everything is being hacked and all of them are speced for healing. Enemies sure get tougher, tho. I like that.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#245 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@anthonyautumns said:

@cainetao11: AFAIK, you can base which gaming website score (or metacritic) and decide for it whether it flops or not according to the new rules. TS said he would use GameSpot on his earlier posts.

Don't know what that means.

I never took any of it all that seriously. I play what I wish because its my time and money I am spending afterall. But now? I really doubt I'll be voting in "Hype threads" or participating anymore. But as I said, to those that enjoy these games, have a great time.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

The game is overly brutal at the start. It might be wise to use more grenadiers at the beginning of the game. Grenades are guaranteed hits, and most enemies tend to group together more often than they should.

Honestly, the game is weird. It starts off insanely hard, but It gets easier the deeper you get into the game.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 mems_1224

@GoldenElementXL: yea, under that mountain of shit is a really great game I want to play but every time I try some new annoying bug pops up. They need to patch this ASAP

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 Maroxad

@JangoWuzHere said:
@MirkoS77 said:

The game is overly brutal at the start. It might be wise to use more grenadiers at the beginning of the game. Grenades are guaranteed hits, and most enemies tend to group together more often than they should.

Honestly, the game is weird. It starts off insanely hard, but It gets easier the deeper you get into the game.

Sadly, that has been a staple of the series for a long time.

Even X-Com: UFO Defense was like that, with the small hitbox sectoids and cyberdisks being the first enemies you face. And enemies only getting higher stats whereas you get higher stats, more tools and better weapons and armor.

The only game that actually felt like it got harder over time was X-Com 2: Terror from the deep. Which pitted you against the hardest alien types in the end, the not-cyberdiscs and flying chryssalids.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 texasgoldrush

@GoldenElementXL said:
@mems_1224 said:

I'm with you. The game runs like ass but most publications gave the performance issues a pass. And I'm running a top 1% rig. I have to give Dan at Giant Bomb props for his 3 star review. Technical issues should take away from a review score. Shame on all the other reviewers that either don't care or can't tell that there are performance issues in a game. The fanbase has outgrown the journalist base in this regard. Lets see which publications take notice.

Is it so hard to lower the graphics?....it runs fine on medium.

This game does deserve a 9.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 mems_1224

@texasgoldrush: has way more issues than poorly optimized graphics