Xbox still makes you buy batteries for their controllers because...

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#301 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 33547 Posts

@ProtossRushX: Yep, I think having options is a better way to go about things and yes I was willing to pay the $25 to get the play and charge pack. How many times do I have to repeat that for you? 😐

My post made perfect sense and was absolutely on point to the topic at hand. Thread was about some deal between Microsoft and Duracell and my post stated that I didn’t care if there was some deal or not. I stated that I like having options available to me regardless. Seems pretty straightforward to me. 🤷‍♂️

ProtossRushX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#302 ProtossRushX  Online
Member since 2007 • 8591 Posts

@Archangel3371: What about people like me who didn't want to have to pay 25 dollars extra just to charge my controller? Did i get good options?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#303 Archangel3371  Online

@ProtossRushX: I missed that part where that’s my problem. 😅

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#304 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 10200 Posts

Never did I imagine such a mundane topic as controller power would cause a 300+ reply thread. I'd like to thank all the trolls and the salts for making this possible.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#305 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 5292 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

@Archangel3371: What about people like me who didn't want to have to pay 25 dollars extra just to charge my controller? Did i get good options?

No, you didn't. It's true that shifting the cost to to consumer gives them options, but that doesn't mean it's the best option for all consumers. I don't want extra costs.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#306 Archangel3371  Online

I’m a collector so that means that I can have stuff sitting in storage for pretty long times. I’d prefer to have as few things with internal batteries stored away as possible. They can rupture, leak, and cause damage. Also having something that takes generic batteries makes it a lot easier and much more convenient years down the road instead of trying to get specific internal batteries.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#307 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 6637 Posts

@shellcase86: Option a) a more expensive controller that doesn’t give you any options other than what came with it.

Or.

Option b) a cheaper controller that gives you the option of spending the difference in price between the two controllers and getting a solution that is better.

Yes. You got good options.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#308 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 20825 Posts

@Telekill: So what you're saying is that you would like to thank another one of your herd members in tormeltdownos 🤣🤣🤣

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#309 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 10200 Posts

@i_p_daily: lol. I generally don't do threads like this. I haven't read most of this thread. Just enjoying watching the numbers go up. If he did most the triggering... than sure. Lol

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#310  Edited By HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

@TheGrat1 said:

Imagine if the new iPhone came with double A batteries and no internal for recharging. It would be the most ghetto shit anybody had ever seen.

Keep carrying that water. Microsoft does not include rechargeable batteries to keep costs down. Period.

The iPhone and a game controller have drastically different form factors. + there have been phones with removable batteries. My phone is almost as thin as the thinnest iPhone ever made (iPhone 6?, iirc) and I swap the battery in it every morning. Wouldn't have it any other way. Those days are limited though since there's maybe 1-2 other halfway decent phones left on the market with an easily removed battery.

Here's a counter-point. Imagine if a major power tool manufacturer attempted to sell a line of cordless power tools that couldn't accept an interchangeable battery pack. So when your drill dies you have to put the entire thing on the charger.

That would be the absolute worst product to ever grace that particular market.

Now obviously that isn't a perfect comparison either because you can still use a controller just fine while it's plugged into a charger, while most cordless power tools don't offer some sort of corded adapter, which further necessitates an interchangeable battery pack system.

But it's still a matter of convenience. And it's certainly not helped by the fact that PS4 controllers have maybe 1/4 the battery life of an Xbox 360 or Xbox One controller that uses good quality rechargeable AAs. And btw, I still prefer the DS4 over the Xbox One controller despite this (haven't tried DS5 or Series X, yet) but I'll still use my old ass Xbox 360 controller when I want a controller for some PC games. I like that I can swap the batteries when it goes dead and I like that it doesn't have abysmal battery life.

I even use my shitty TB Stealth 400s from my PS4 for PC games and Discord. Know why I never gave up on it? Because I rigged it up to take an 18650 Li-Ion cell after the USB charging port broke. (it now has 4x the capacity of the shitty 900 mAh internal battery.) Guess what? It looks ghetto as shit, but I love it. And it's especially nice that I don't ever have to plug it in anymore, I just swap cells.

Now would I like my phone with a plastic 18650 holder ziptied to the back along with a couple wires being run out the bottom of the phone? Hell no.

Because AA batteries and rechargeable 18650 cylindrical cells.... DO NOT WORK WITH A PHONE. AAs WORK PERFECTLY FINE IN A CONTROLLER BECAUSE A CONTROLLER IS AT LEAST 4-5x THICKER THAN THE THINNEST iPHONEs.

And sure, MS does what they do to cut costs, ok, that argument is settled. Doesn't mean I can't like the way it's able to benefit me or conforms to the way I like doing things. I like having controllers with easily changed batteries and up to 4x the battery life of the equivalent Sony product, simple as that.

+ I have other misc devices that use AA/AAA batteries anyways. My Multimeters (from my $300 Fluke to my shitty Tacklife Chinesium spare) use AA batteries, my label printer uses AAA batteries, my TV and Roku remotes use AAA batteries and my 3M earmuffs use AA batteries. And that's just off the top of my head.

If I have a bunch of devices that I need rechargeable AA/AAA batteries for anyways then it's REALLY not that big of a deal to use them in an Xbox controller as well.

If that means I'm carrying water for MS then whatever. The people who carry water for Sony's 1-1.5 Ah battery cells and the controller's overall poor battery life aren't any better though.

Imagine if the latest iPhone launched with a 1 Ah/3.85 Wh battery and it only lasted ~1/3 as long as an actual iPhone before needing to be recharged. Apple would not be a trillion dollar company if that's the sort of product they attempt to sell.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#311 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 20825 Posts

@Telekill: He didn't trigger though, he was having a serious meltdown over batteries, its why we like to call him tormeltdownos, read some of his shit, guy was gonna blow, so you have him to thank for at least 1 maybe 1 and a half pages alone 🤣🤣🤣

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#312 clone01
Member since 2003 • 28593 Posts

I've just never really cared that much.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#313 clone01
Member since 2003 • 28593 Posts
@ProtossRushX said:
@Archangel3371 said:

Good. I don’t care what the reason is, I prefer to have the option of using batteries over having a built in battery.

So you don't care if 2 companies meet behind the scenes then don't tell consumers bout it or what new technology they could use to help people out everyone be damned but duracell. Why not tell people yah we teamed up with duracell publically if it was no problem?

You don't see any problems at all with companies doing this kinda shady crap? This move is just friggin awful and ill tell ya why it wass done.

a 8 year old kid might not have rechargeable batteries so he goes to store and has to buy them not everyone is super techy and into saving money and microsoft and duracell are targeting those poor consumers like that.

I had buy the recharge kit which should have came with the controller like sony does and you SAID you bought the recharge kit too so you don't really care about the option your using the recharge kit which uve said you bought and use.

Bro, you need to talk to your parents about Arch rustling your jimmies, bro.

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#314 ThatDBFan
Member since 2019 • 874 Posts

I wish they would switch the batteries to rechargeable, but on the flip side, rechargeable AAs are easy to come by.