Xbox still makes you buy batteries for their controllers because...

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Well, apparently the cat is out of the bag.

A deal was made with Duracell some time ago and due to that deal Microsoft forced themselves to continuously make controllers that require replaceable batteries instead of rechargeable lithium ion batteries.

Interesting plot twist indeed. Source

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 44946 Posts

😆😆😆

and this whole time fanboys were like, nah, Xbox cares about us.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#3  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17765 Posts

I have a lot of rechargable AA batteries that I use on multiple devices. Quickly swapping batteries is much better than having to plug in a cord. So, Xbox controllers are superior to PS controllers in that regard.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

Don't get how having an agreement to provide batteries for your controller means that MS is forced to anything. Must be a deep state conspiracy.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#5  Edited By Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69097 Posts

I am not sure how this makes replaceable batteries a bad thing for consumers. Preventing the consumers from replacing easily their batteries is not in consumers favor.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 44946 Posts

@BassMan said:

I have a lot of rechargable AA batteries that I use on multiple devices. Quickly swapping batteries is much better than having to plug in a cord. So, Xbox controllers are superior to PS controllers in that regard.

Because you don't want to keep your controller plugged in while it charges? lol!

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 43938 Posts

Rechargeable AA batteries. It's the absolute smartest and consumer friendly way to go and I wouldn't have it any other way. Use them all around the home and there's always some ready to go at a moments notice.

The alternative is to throw away your useless built-in battery controller once the battery no longer holds a charge. That is such a Phony way to go. :P

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23706 Posts

Usually play wired (like 99.9% of the time), so doesn't really bother me either way. Though I've had a bad run of luck with DS controllers no longer being able to hold a charge. So yeah, prefer the option to just swap out batteries.

More of a watching Netflix from the couch issue rather than a gaming issue for me.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BassMan

@SolidGame_basic said:
@BassMan said:

Because you don't want to keep your controller plugged in while it charges? lol!

No, I want to keep playing without having to plug in a cord. Also, the cord that it comes with is not even long enough for me to play in my living room. So, I have to go buy a longer cord to use when the controller dies or I have to buy an additional controller to swap to. You are also at the mercy of the battery in the PS controller. If it packs it in, your controller is fucked. The max charge will also degrade over time. I can always have high capacity AA batteries that hold a long charge on an Xbox controller. Built in batteries are far worse.

speedytimsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By speedytimsi
Member since 2003 • 1415 Posts

@BassMan: Except to find out those rechargeable AA batteries are usually shit....so had to buy more.

I think i bought a total of 8 batteries. They only last barely an hour now after two years of extensive use. Ended up buying a lithium battery pack.

I think it would be cool if Microsoft came with rechargeable batteries, but nope they are just regular AA batteries and thus duped us into buying rechargeable batteries.

mtron32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mtron32
Member since 2006 • 4432 Posts

That, along with the power brick, kept me from owning and Xbone years ago, so color me surprised when I get my Series X, there's a controller requiring batteries still being sold. It's stupid, my PS4 controller was still holding a charge for days when I sold it last week, yet MS is still having this trash batteries included nonsense? Even that 1200 dollar elite controller......still needs batteries.

So dumb

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BassMan

@speedytimsi said:

@BassMan: Except to find out those rechargeable batteries are shit....so had to buy more.

I think i bought a total of 8 batteries. They only last barely an hour now. Ended up buying a lithium battery pack.

You need to buy better batteries. The Eneloop batteries or other batteries made in Japan (with the white tops) are excellent.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 55899 Posts

@BassMan said:

Came here to say similar as I have rechargeable batteries and haven't bought a basic pack like in years. Plus, I love having options on a controller and so with that, more options on how to charge the controller is always better.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

I FRIGGIN CALLED THIS OUT YEARS AGO I SAID THEY HAD A DEAL WITH DURACELL NOBODY BELIEVED ME TILL NOW!

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BassMan
@ProtossRushX said:

I FRIGGIN CALLED THIS OUT YEARS AGO I SAID THEY HAD A DEAL WITH DURACELL NOBODY BELIEVED ME TILL NOW!

Nobody believes or even understands half the shit you say anyway.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-60bf765068a74

@BassMan said:
@ProtossRushX said:

Doesn't matter what people like you "believe" when im right all the time and you are completely clueless to the situations

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Oh the horror! Replacing batteries? Think of the children. Big time fail O.P. Big time fail.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11004 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

You are now vindicated. 🤣

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 14

#19 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41489 Posts

@Telekill: Meh? More expensive, sure. But I think it's more manageable than having the battery built in (especially if you have a Battery Recharge Pack), which was my problem with PlayStation controllers and some Nintendo controllers (Wii U and Switch), much to the point where, in an era where third party controllers are actually improving, I end up preferring those (I use an Afterglow pro controller for my Wii U and Power A controllers for my Switch).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-60bf765068a74

@Pedro said:

I am not sure how this makes replaceable batteries a bad thing for consumers. Preventing the consumers from replacing easily their batteries is not in consumers favor.

Making a back alley deal to screw over consumers is not FOR THE GAMERS its FOR MICROSOFT AN DURCAELS POCKETBOOKS how the hell are u defendin this crap.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Pedro  Online

When I don't acknowledge some folks, they keep begging for my attention.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BassMan

@ProtossRushX said:
@BassMan said:
@ProtossRushX said:

Doesn't matter what people like you "believe" when im right all the time and you are completely clueless to the situations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-60bf765068a74

@Pedro said:

When I don't acknowledge some folks, they keep begging for my attention.

cause you an everyone know your a shill for microsoft and were sick of it i stand up for the gamers and you try to ignore me

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 43938 Posts

Yikes. lol :P

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@ProtossRushX:

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23706 Posts

Protoss for prez

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43998 Posts

Good. I don’t care what the reason is, I prefer to have the option of using batteries over having a built in battery.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pedro  Online

@fedor said:

@ProtossRushX:

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 locus-solus
Member since 2013 • 1552 Posts

reachable batteries last for like 40+ hours. much better than the abysmal ps4 battery life.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

I put in some disposable batteries in my series X controller on day 1. I’ve had to charge my DualSense controller at least twice a week. My AA’s are still going strong... You tell me which option is superior.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Pedro  Online

If there is any angle you want to shoot at MS is the lack of rechargeable AA batteries. If MS saying "we want to give players options", well that is an all inclusive option.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@Telekill said:

A deal was made with Duracell some time ago and due to that deal Microsoft forced themselves to continuously make controllers that require replaceable batteries instead of rechargeable lithium ion batteries.

Did you actually read the article? I think not since a former MS exec explained WHY batteries were chosen. There is no real advantage to having built in batteries at all especially if we're using the PS4 or PS5 controllers as an example.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kingtito
@SolidGame_basic said:
@BassMan said:

You might want to stop shilling once in a while.

I couldn't tell you how many times I've had to stop gaming because my controller died in the middle of playing. I had to purchase another $70+ controller just so I could continue if I wanted. Never had that issue with MS controllers.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-60bf765068a74

@Archangel3371 said:

Good. I don’t care what the reason is, I prefer to have the option of using batteries over having a built in battery.

So you don't care if 2 companies meet behind the scenes then don't tell consumers bout it or what new technology they could use to help people out everyone be damned but duracell. Why not tell people yah we teamed up with duracell publically if it was no problem?

You don't see any problems at all with companies doing this kinda shady crap? This move is just friggin awful and ill tell ya why it wass done.

a 8 year old kid might not have rechargeable batteries so he goes to store and has to buy them not everyone is super techy and into saving money and microsoft and duracell are targeting those poor consumers like that.

I had buy the recharge kit which should have came with the controller like sony does and you SAID you bought the recharge kit too so you don't really care about the option your using the recharge kit which uve said you bought and use.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#35 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

You can buy a battery pack that'll recharge inside the controller for like $10. Also, an Xbox Series S/X controller is $60, a PS5 controller is $70. So.... Nothingburger.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-60bf765068a74

@eoten said:

You can buy a battery pack that'll recharge inside the controller for like $10. Also, an Xbox Series S/X controller is $60, a PS5 controller is $70. So.... Nothingburger.

The xbox recharge kit is not 10 bux its like $25

stop lying and trying to brush this off to the side like the xbox guys

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/accessories/batteries-chargers/play-and-charge-kit

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

@speedytimsi said:

@BassMan: Except to find out those rechargeable AA batteries are usually shit....so had to buy more.

I think i bought a total of 8 batteries. They only last barely an hour now after two years of extensive use. Ended up buying a lithium battery pack.

I think it would be cool if Microsoft came with rechargeable batteries, but nope they are just regular AA batteries and thus duped us into buying rechargeable batteries.

then you need to stop buying rechargeable batteries at the Dollar Store. I have had sets for all of the XB1 generation (and a couple years before) that still kept about 75% of a charge. I only replace them when they no longer notify me that the battery levels are low (go from powered to off state without warning). Which means I have only bought one new set in the past 7+ years (I keep 3 sets on the go)

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

@ProtossRushX: meet behind the scenes??? Are you that dumb? ALL COMPANIES "meet behind the scenes" and work out supply for their products. Sony did it for who would source the parts for their consoles, Nintendo did it for theirs, MS did it for theirs. It is called supply management.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5011 Posts

Having used both the ps4 controller and the latest Xbox series x controller, I can safely say they are both inferior to the Nintendo switch pro controller.

Its like a ps4 controller without terrible battery life.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 kingtito

@regnaston said:

@ProtossRushX: meet behind the scenes??? Are you that dumb? ALL COMPANIES "meet behind the scenes" and work out supply for their products. Sony did it for who would source the parts for their consoles, Nintendo did it for theirs, MS did it for theirs. It is called supply management.

He's a lost cause. Just look at his profile pic now. He swapped to Nintendo???????? What a fakeboy

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38136 Posts

🤣🤣🤣

I've heard plenty of lems praising standard batteries inside MS controllers 😁 You praised a deal that was made to milk you.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43998 Posts

@ProtossRushX:

- No I don’t care

- I prefer to have the option for supplying power to the controller

- Yes I did buy the plug and play recharge pack

We’ve already gone over this before Karen. You want to keep crying about it then go talk to the manager. 😅

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Not this shit again... cows delusional as always thinking Sony's way is always the best way when they're blind to all other ways. If they compared them side by side they'd pick AA batteries over internals every time.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17779 Posts

seriously this again?

look: both MS and Sony are wrong. Sony are more wrong but they are both wrong. replacing the battery in a dualsense is a dumpster fire of a process. it would be nice for MS to have a rechargable battery in the box.

the closest to the correct setup i have seen is the 8bit do Sn30Pro+. comes with a rechargable battery that can be easily removed and replaced with AAA batteries. The only thing that would make that setup better is if the batteries in the controller were rechargable AND the controller itself could be used to charge them.

anything thats not that is incorrect.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-60bf765068a74

@briguyb13 said:

Not this shit again... cows delusional as always thinking Sony's way is always the best way when they're blind to all other ways. If they compared them side by side they'd pick AA batteries over internals every time.

dude stop calling out sony and call out your own company for once everytime you show up and try to bad mouth sony and then when i call you out on microsoft stuff you say oh I call out microsoft too look at your post your not calling out microsoft at all unless i tell you something bad they did.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:
@briguyb13 said:

dude stop calling out sony and call out your own company for once everytime you show up and try to bad mouth sony and then when i call you out on microsoft stuff you say oh I call out microsoft too look at your post your not calling out microsoft at all unless i tell you something bad they did.

Did you just make that?

LouiXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LouiXIII
Member since 2015 • 10052 Posts

@Telekill said:

I've jokingly said this years ago and I think I even made a thread on SW about it too lol

I had a feeling something going on behind closed doors because it just didn't make sense to me. I don't think it's nothing wrong with making money though but still, I never liked the idea of having to buy more batteries for my Xbox controller. I hope they change that in the future.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5011 Posts

@ProtossRushX: it says best controller ever made, but I dont see the switch pro controller there. I'm confused.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17401 Posts

This is ridiculous and backwards.

MS uses AA batteries because they want to and every time they do a platform survey people say they'd rather have the choice.

They include Duracell because they have a deal.....in the same way that some electronics come with Energizer.

You guys are pathetic and just looking for stuff to complain about.

If what you said is true then they wouldn't bother offering an official alternative to batteries or even license 3rd parties.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:
@briguyb13 said:

Use proper grammar and stop with this idiotic clown act you've been faking so people will notice you. It's tiring.