ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By ThatDBFan
Member since 2019 • 939 Posts

Will it outsell the PS5? Hard to say. But I think it'll definitely close, and tens of millions of units behind the PS5 like the Xbox One is with the PS4. Microsoft just unveiled the Series X a week ago, and this console is packing some major power with an SSD, Ray tracing, and being generally 4x more powerful than the One X.

Not only that, but it already has one huge game confirmed as a launch tile (Halo infinite), and I'm willing to bet that Fable 4. And we have confirmation Hellblade 2 will be an Xbox Series X exclusive.will be one too. And MS's moves on bringing in top quality 1st party studios indicates we'll be getting quite a few top quality 1st party games.

Another reason Microsoft could do much better against Sony this generation is the announcement of the of the One X, which definitely caught most of us by surprise. This same thing happened at the beginning of this generation, and could trip up Sony going into this next one.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

I wouldn't bet on it.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

The X1 could have given PS4 a run for its money as well but we know how that turned out.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

Yeah I think so. Microsoft has been doing a number of good things this current gen with studio acquisitions, Game Pass, etc. so I think they could really come out strong next gen. I know that I’m pretty hyped for their new upcoming System in the XSX and look forward to seeing all the games that their developers create for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

It could, and we don't know one way or the other yet. Using the past is not an accurate gauge for predicting the future.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

Only time will tell, but competition is good. That is one thing I know!

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@Xabiss: Agreed. Cocky and complacent Sony was pretty f**king awful. Glad they learned for PS4 and hope they remember.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#8 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17805 Posts

All that matters is that MS continues to invest money into studios and those games keep coming to PC.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

Cheapest console wins imo

But preferred exclusives and playing on the console your friends play on(multiplayer) will have a factor unless cross play becomes compulsory

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17812 Posts

They could but it's going to be a tough battle. It's very hard to beat sony by trying to do what sony does. Even with the utter screw up that was the PS3 they still pipped the 360 to the post in terms of sales numbers (though i wonder which was more profitable).

Power is not a deciding factor alone. it has never decided to came out on top. A lot of the stuff MS announced: SSD, Ray tracing etc. the PS5 will also have. The X1X has not been a blockbuster (nor has the PS4 pro)....the whole mid gen refresh was a bit meh in the end. So power is not a big deal.

As we saw this gen services alone also will not cut it. MSs strategy of relying on 3rd parties to deliver the content was a catastrophe (something they are now correcting).

Streaming could be a factor but it looks like the push is in the process of flopping again (thank god). Again though Sony can trade blows on that...its not like they are years off the pace (if they are off the pace at all).

It will take a big push in content and possibly for sony to make a bad mistake for MS to give them a lot of trouble.

The other thing is how will success be measured next gen? just sales alone? the PS5 could sell more consoles but the xbox platform could make more money depending on how things pan out.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

I don't think ms care if you play their games on PC or xbox. They want xbox to be a success of course, and would love to outsell it but it's not their priority. They want more people subscribing to gamepass, xcloud to launch successfully and the new studios to develop successful games.

It's going to be really interesting to see what Sony have planned. As far as form goes, I think they'll try and keep the shape of the ps5 more traditional... a variation on the existing console shape. I think they'll launch cheaper, because everything is riding on the console, unlike ms.

If xsx launches at the same price with Halo, Forza 8, Fable 4 and a couple of other unnamed console exclusives, with a month of GP ultimate...maybe xcloud thrown in....then it'll take something totally unexpected by Sony in order for it to have a better launch.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

MS would need exclusives for that. They don't have any. There is a reason why Sony has seen so much success with PlayStation. They have a reputation for putting out top quality content that you can't play on other consoles.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#13 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Don't believe anyone, even MS, is expecting it to outsell the PS5. They'll be very happy to get the US back and grow in Europe.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

I know one thing for sure, it's going to be a helluva lot closer than this gen.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Fedor

@hrt_rulz01: Based on what?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

It’s time for a sticky...

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By hrt_rulz01

@fedor said:

@hrt_rulz01: Based on what?

Seriously?

Well I don't know, the fact that MS isn't repeating any of the mistakes of the early XB1 days (ie. pricing, focusing on entertainment & not games, the power gap to PS4 etc). Also the fact that they're investing heavily on games (buying all the studios etc), and also things like Game Pass are a big positive, and also Xbox's focus on compatibility (the fact that you'll be able to play all gens of Xbox games on Series X is awesome).

Anyway, just a few things.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I wonder if at this point whether Sony has enough time to tweak their design before release. It'll be interesting to see what they announce when they get to that. And it'll be interesting too when both companies attach a price to them.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Fedor

@hrt_rulz01: We don't know the price or if there will be a power gap. We do know MS has put less focus on console races and more on creating an ecosystem to encompass all gamers (Gamepass, PC, Xbox, Xcloud). They are clearly moving away from console reliance so I don't see how they will get closer to PS5 than they were to PS4.

Anyways, I guess we'll see.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

Ah, the fight for 2nd place.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

yeah, i dont think so..

>The PS4 already has a 102 Million install base

> The PS4 will be BC with all PS4 games

Do you really think those 102 Million people are just gonna jump ship and lose their game library they accumulated over the years?

The only way i see the XBOX gaining the lead is if Sony F*ck up big time when they announce the PS5 at E3 (im talkin' don mattrick levels of F*ck up).

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

Xbox definently has a good shot, I went ps4 and switch for my home consoles this gen, but was an avid 360 gamer last gen, I have over 100 360 games still and never got rud of my 360 slim.

Really like that Xbox is still pushing BC, if it can play all my 360 games that means alot for me.

However ive been getting back into PC gaming, been playing gamepass on there (3 months of it came with my processor)

Gamepass is awesome, the service works so well and is very clean. Apparently with play anywhere you can save data via cloud so you can switch between platforms seamlessly.

This alone makes me think once I upgrade to a new hone console, im going xbox. Im comming back to gears, forza, and halo. Ps4 overall has been a dissapointments, these SP games just dont do it for me, horizon uncharted and god of war, all were meh, one and done games.

Only sony exlusives I'll vouch for were spiderman and and ratchet and clank. I'll give it to bloodboune too ( even tho i dislike souls games, i liked nioh tho)

Hell I find the switch to have a better 1st party cataloge than the PS4. PS5 is going to have to really surprise me to make me want one. I only got one because alot of my friends played there, all of them came from 360 as well, xbox one just shot itself at launch with the, Kinect, cable box, always online BS. I'm already enjoying my time comming back to MS on PC.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@FinalFighters said:

yeah, i dont think so..

Do you really think those 102 Million people are just gonna jump ship and lose their game library they accumulated over the years?

The only way i see the XBOX gaining the lead is if Sony F*ck up big time when they announce the PS5 at E3 (im talkin' don mattrick levels of F*ck up).

Pretty much, unlike people who went from 360 to ps4 because they all thought they would loose their library anyway. Plus the ps5 is PSVR compatible too so its not just games but accessories.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

Doubt it, with MS ecosystem, Xbox Hardware is niche and just fan service. Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox SAD, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S(lockhart) and PC.

Going to be mixed bag where a single Xbox console has no shot beating out ps5.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hrt_rulz01

@fedor: You honestly don't think any of the moves that MS has made over the last generation will make any difference to the sales gap between XSX and PS5?

Can I assume you're a PS fan?

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Fedor

@hrt_rulz01: I'm a PC guy for the most part. Console wise I play my Switch the most, but sure, I'm a fan of PS and also MS.

To answer your question, no. For all the reasons I already laid out. MS provides a console, they don't require it. PS does. The gap will be the same console wise imo. That said MS will be dipping their toes in several other areas such as streaming/paid services and PC. Their ecosystem will be highly profitable imo.

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28 ThatDBFan
Member since 2019 • 939 Posts

@FinalFighters: You're acting like millions of people didn't switch from the 360 to PS4.

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

@hrt_rulz01: lol you delusional lem

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

@pdogg93 said:

@hrt_rulz01: lol you delusional lem

Instead of hitting "Reply," try quoting so others can follow your lunacy.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

@thatdbfan said:

@FinalFighters: You're acting like millions of people didn't switch from the 360 to PS4.

Are you serious?

And do you know why millions of people switched from 360 to PS4?

Here's a hint: read the last part of what i wrote

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

@FinalFighters: I agree with thatDBfan, if microsoft plays thier cards right, a significant portion of gamers could jump back to xbox.

360 fans did it this gen for ps4, I was one of them, but im not worried about not being able to play my ps4 games on next gen hardware, most are SP third person story games ive already beaten anyway that I can just play on my ps4.

Gamepass alone imo makes the new xbox more appealing than ps5, its BC with every xbox gen, and integrated well with PC already.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#33 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2563 Posts

It will certainly be very difficult for them to be on par with the PS5 for a lot of reasons, they need to do everything right and Sony needs to make lots of mistakes.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#34 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69431 Posts

The Series X would outsell the Xbox One, that's all anyone can realistically guess.

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

MS bringing the heat!!!

What type of heat is yet to be determined...could just be warm fart heat, only time will tell.

I hope they bring their "A" game.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hrt_rulz01

@fedor: Fair enough.

I take your point about console sales being less important to MS from a business perspective... and it's also going to be more complicated next gen to compare sales because it looks like Xbox in particular will have a Series of consoles.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@FinalFighters said:

yeah, i dont think so..

Interesting, but there is one glaring fault with your argument.

Just because someone might switch consoles next gen doesn't make the console they have now suddenly disappear, and they will still be able to play all these games they have accumulated over the years.

Lets be honest most games these days are throw away games that once beat they become a memory.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By hrt_rulz01

@pdogg93: Lol, you delusional cow?

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#39 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

I truly hope it does. Competition is a good thing.. Forcing SONY to add things like game pass and an early access program would be great.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

Microsoft needs to stop investing in such crap franchises. Hellblade 2 I guess is a start, but they gotta just stop with the Gears and Halo games. Do something else.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

@FinalFighters said:

yeah, i dont think so..

Basically this ^^

Add that buying studios is a good thing, but let 'em deliver first.

If their output is on par with sony's maybe they'll do better than this gen.

Time will tell!!!

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#42  Edited By KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

No chance. I think the gap will not be as big as this gen, but no chance to beat PS5. Just day 1 Sony will have a new remake by Blurpoint games and a new game from Guerrilla. Not a fan of Horizon 2, but lets say that is their new game... what will people pick Hellblade 2 or some AAA Horizon 2 running on decima engine (Death Stranding bad use of it, Horizon 1 looks far better). As cringe as Aloy may be, most will pick Horizon 2. Who even knows what Bluepoint remake is, they say it is BIG.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#43 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Swear we hear this all the time, MS deep down don't care. As long as you buy something/subscribe into their ecosystem, that's what matter to them. Sony will sell more consoles, it is their primary business.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

I doubt it, Sony pretty much sold double of what Xbox sold this generation... Microsoft needs more than having the most powerful console in order to win and as much as I don't want it to happen due to being a PC gamer but having exclusives worth playing is the only way to do close the gap with Sony.

That all being said its no surprise that MS and Nintendo are looking into different forms of gaming such as streaming and hand held/mobile gaming, they just couldn't keep up with Sony this generation.

Literally combine the amount of Switch's sold with X1's and you still come up short to PS4 sales.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

What are you fanboys basing next gen winners as?what is the narrative,will that narrative change to suit like this gen ?

Console sales? -Well I think Sony have that in the bag but if MS come in cheaper the gap will close, but with Ms customers now increased by hundreds of millions through games now available on pc that narrative won’t wash.

Amount of console exclusives games?- MS have this in the bag,more AAA studios=more games.

Power?- no one knows for sure, till then forget about which machine has the most tflops,it wont matter and is why neither Sony or ms has mentioned them. They talk about how many times better not how many tflops better.

OR you could be the real winner and buy both,and enjoy all da games an da power without having emotional attachments to a GAMING system

HAH

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

The 12TF number is now under question

From Digital Foundry

“However, if we're dealing with performance in like-for-like workloads, the Navi architecture's improvements deliver more perf for your teraflop than prior GCN tech, and our tests suggest that a 9-10TF Navi GPU can provide the requisite doubling of performance up against Xbox One X even before other new architectural features come into play.”

Microsoft is gonna dance around the TF number and push the 2X performance claim.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Howmakewood  Online
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

something like 56cu 1650mhz clocks sounds feasible for 12tflops, dont think its too far fetched, above that gets too big or higher clocks that would push the power draw to new heights

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56081 Posts

@Random_Matt said:

Swear we hear this all the time, MS deep down don't care. As long as you buy something/subscribe into their ecosystem, that's what matter to them. Sony will sell more consoles, it is their primary business.

This is the correct answer. MS doesn't care for sale numbers on console sold per units. XBL is going to play everywhere, rather it's the home console or something else such as Mobile or PC.

Sony & Nintendo are the only 2 sharing numbers.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Yeah they are doing it right. It's just the Xbox platform now.

You buy an Xbox and you have access to all your stuff, Game Pass, etc....

It's happening!. The BS console mentality is finally dissolving.

Hopefully Sony will take the hint too. Customer convenience is the name of the game for the upcoming set of platforms.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts

XSX won't be adopted on a wide scale, it'll be another premium product. And who knows if the rumored less powerful console will be worth the leap for a lot of people. Moving lots of hardware isn't even MS's goal anymore. It's about getting as many people into the Xbox ecosystem with their services on the most platforms they can. Leaning on their console alone limits that.

Maybe this might catch up to the other platform holders as well. Only time will tell.