Xbox Series X Backwards Compatibility detail!

• 57 results
DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

(Didn't see anyone covering this so I might as well do the honors)

Taken from MS homepage: XSX BC with thousands of games at launch

Backwards compatible games run natively on the Xbox Series X hardware, running with the full power of the CPU, GPU and the SSD. No boost mode, no downclocking, the full power of the Xbox Series X for each and every backward compatible game. This means that all titles run at the peak performance that they were originally designed for, many times even higher performance than the games saw on their original launch platform, resulting in higher and more steady framerates and rendering at their maximum resolution and visual quality.

In partnership with the Xbox Advanced Technology Group, Xbox Series X delivers a new, innovative HDR reconstruction technique which enables the platform to automatically add HDR support to games. As this technique is handled by the platform itself, it allows us to enable HDR with zero impact to the game’s performance and we can also apply it to Xbox 360 and original Xbox titles developed almost 20 years ago, well before the existence of HDR.

Techniques such as the Heutchy method, which enables titles to render with increased resolutions up to 4K, or applying anisotropic filtering to improve the final image quality bring these classic games up to modern standards, better than ever before.

The compatibility team has invented brand new techniques that enable even more titles to run at higher resolutions and image quality while still respecting the artistic intent and vision of the original creators. We are also creating whole new classes of innovations including the ability to double the frame rate of a select set of titles from 30 fps to 60 fps or 60 fps to 120 fps.

The team also continues to listen to feedback from the community on additional titles you would like to see added to the compatibility program. Resurrecting titles from history often presents a complex mix of technical and licensing challenges, but the team is committed to doing everything we can to continue to preserve our collective gaming legacy.

Just to be clear. The quote above says they will continue listening to community requests for backward compatible titles, so not all games will make it to BC list.

I must admit, I'm not interest purchasing XSX but this is awesome news for console gamers, even I say BC is more important for those who hates switching consoles just to play previous games. If MS price XSX right, I can see this becoming more attractive for consumers in the long run.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

That is really awesome but as a PC gamer, it does nothing for me lol.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

50 Cent: Blood on the Sand 4K/120FPS/HDR/Raytracing. Make it happen.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

Cool. It'll be interesting to see how far they can go with it.

just speculating but i would imagine quite a few Og xbox games would not like running above a certain framerate. game logic tied to framerate and all that...things can get odd. same with earlier 360 games too.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#5 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69449 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

That is really awesome but as a PC gamer, it does nothing for me lol.

I heard this feature is for console gamers.😎

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Good news for Xbox enthusiasts. They still need to add Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction, the first two Brothers in Arms games, Def Jam: Fight for NY, Jet Set Radio Future, Battle for Middle Earth 2 and Freedom Fighters though!

Edit: My mistake, they already have that one.

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 1001 Posts

This is impressive. I wonder why Sony has to implement BC so differently? Are MS software engineers that much better?

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Juub1990
@nfamouslegend said:

This is impressive. I wonder why Sony has to implement BC so differently? Are MS software engineers that much better?

Team Xbox has been working on BC for years. Even got some OG Xbox games with X1X support. Higher frame rates and 1080p/4K resolution. Team PS has only been working on it recently so Microsoft has got one heck of a headstart and a lot more experience.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

Awesome news to hear and backwards compatibility is something that’s definitely always a welcome feature for me.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Yeah, good shit. Already got the only two older titles I'd want, one of which with a much needed boost. So it's unlikely I'll get a series X.

But it's great that they're staying on this, and definitely wish other companies (especially fucking Nintendo) would follow suit.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts

Are we really gonna go through another gen hyping up OLD games? 🤣

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Pedro

@BenjaminBanklin said:

You got to try better than that man because that argument is as dumb as you claiming to be a PC gamer.🤣

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1236 Posts

Doubling the frame rate? Would love to see that in action.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BenjaminBanklin

@Pedro said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

You got to try better than that man because that argument is as dumb as you claiming to be a PC gamer.🤣

Dang, already offended. 🤣 This is gonna be a great gen. And my PC is better than your Neverland PC. And will be better this year.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Pedro

@BenjaminBanklin said:

Dang, already offended. 🤣 This is gonna be a great gen. And my PC is better than your Neverland PC. And will be better this year.

Still pretending to be a PC gamer. 🤣

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BenjaminBanklin

@Pedro said:

Still pretending to be a PC gamer. 🤣

How do you pretend to be a PC gamer? I'm still waiting on this answer. You better buy that XSX and pretend you're gonna get some first-party exclusives after 2 years. 🤣🤣🤣

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

Remember the rules if it’s Xbox BC it’s bu bu bu old games,if it’s PS BC it’s a good thing HAH...MOOooooo

Anyhow these features are tip top,Xbox is killing it

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pedro

@BenjaminBanklin said:

How do you pretend to be a PC gamer? I'm still waiting on this answer. You better buy that XSX and pretend you're gonna get some first-party exclusives after 2 years. 🤣🤣🤣

I don't care about whether a game is exclusive or not so, take that console "PC" gamer mentality somewhere else.🤣

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BenjaminBanklin

@Pedro said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

I don't care about whether a game is exclusive or not so, take that console "PC" gamer mentality somewhere else.🤣

I don't either. It's just funny to hear people still leaning on B/C like it's still going to be the ultimate selling point for a console. Especially for one with the library like Xbox One. It's time to start looking forward. Switch and PS4 didn't need it to be wildly successful consoles.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Pedro

@BenjaminBanklin said:

I don't either. It's just funny to hear people still leaning on B/C like it's still going to be the ultimate selling point for a console. Especially for one with the library like Xbox One. It's time to start looking forward. Switch and PS4 didn't need it to be wildly successful consoles.

I guess you missed the point that this thread is just giving information, just like the two Sony thread on BC but you are still in Sony fanny mode so I understand. 😎

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@Juub1990: That's not really true though, the original ps3 had full BC, meaning it played all ps1 and ps2 games. No idea why they dropped BC for the ps4, and why their BC isn't for all their previous systems for the ps5.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin: Your post history clearly shows you to be a playstation fanboy. Nothing else.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BenjaminBanklin

@Pedro said:

I guess you missed the point that this thread is just giving information, just like the two Sony thread on BC but you are still in Sony fanny mode so I understand. 😎

I'm in the mode that we're still hyping up OLD games for next gen consoles. Already smells like a repeat of the prior gen. If you really had a PC like you claim, you know that older games looking better on newer hardware should be par for the course, but not the driving reason you invest in new hardware.

@Sevenizz said:

@BenjaminBanklin: Your post history clearly shows you to be a playstation fanboy. Nothing else.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

@davillain-: ‘Backwards compatible games run natively on the Xbox Series X hardware‘

Does ‘natively’ mean they run off disc now or download onto the hard drive and the disc is used as a key like the last time?

Crazy_Chemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Crazy_Chemist
Member since 2020 • 154 Posts

Sweet. Cant wait till it releases. Have they showed the UI for xbox series X?

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Juub1990

@vfighter: As you said OG PS3 did. The fat one but that was 13 years ago. They had to work from scratch with the PS4 to PS5 BC. Not like they could rely on the fat PS3 as a model so they effectively are trailing team Microsoft by several years as far as BC for next gen is concerned.

Greygoose12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Greygoose12
Member since 2020 • 220 Posts

Sony boss says there not interested in making ps4 versions of ps5 games. Just crazy ! I guess the ps4 will stop getting support in 6 months. I got a ps4 pro i bet there not even going to support that. They most likely will have limited bc at launch. Sony really behind Microsoft in supporting there past systems in general .

Crazy_Chemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Crazy_Chemist
Member since 2020 • 154 Posts

I have always been pro Playstation. This time i am jumping that ship and going for xbox series x for console gaming. This will be the first time i do that. I bought an xbox one x in January i believe and that is the first xbox i have ever owned. So far the exclusives are more of what i want and like. I want more though and hopefully microsoft delivers in that area with their new console.

As for Sony i have been kinda getting burned out from them. They don’t seem to be doing anything in an organized manner and its just kinda thrown out there with what they were going to add to the PS4. Their updates take almost years ro get going and to add things. Its really crazy and i just dont think they are all there yet.

So basically when it comes to backwards compatibility, i think microsoft is in the right mindset. I am not seeing sony there yet but in all fairness, backwards compatibility isnt what makes me want to buy a console.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I think MS has been so smart to push hard on BC and cross-platform integration. Those initiatives specifically treat customers with respect and are very pro-consumer. There are a lot of issues with the brand, but many are historical and continued development of their first party will do wonders. I bought a PS2 in part because I could keep my PS1 games, and I bought a PS3 in part because I could keep my PS1 and PS2 games; and free online play. PS was the console platform that cared about a few more of the values I had as a PC gamer than the competition did. And then it all crumbled.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

**** yeah, I've played (and beaten) maybe 4 BC games this gen, yay BC!

Edit: ... and that would be Xbox BC games.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#31 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

I love the added hdr, improved frames and increased fidelity being offered by MS. I'm curious to see Sony's way of handling by and if it will offer the same features.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#32 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26096 Posts

Sounds like a great implementation of BC.

Avatar image for deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
deactivated-60c3d23d2738e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
Member since 2009 • 3934 Posts

@crazy_chemist said:

I have always been pro Playstation. This time i am jumping that ship and going for xbox series x for console gaming. This will be the first time i do that. I bought an xbox one x in January i believe and that is the first xbox i have ever owned. So far the exclusives are more of what i want and like. I want more though and hopefully microsoft delivers in that area with their new console.

As for Sony i have been kinda getting burned out from them. They don’t seem to be doing anything in an organized manner and its just kinda thrown out there with what they were going to add to the PS4. Their updates take almost years ro get going and to add things. Its really crazy and i just dont think they are all there yet.

So basically when it comes to backwards compatibility, i think microsoft is in the right mindset. I am not seeing sony there yet but in all fairness, backwards compatibility isnt what makes me want to buy a console.

I fully agree, I have only completed one PS4 exclusive this gen and I have all of them. TLOU was awesome and the TLOU2 leans WAY to left for my taste. All of their games are basically the same with different skins. I finished Until Dawn as well I forgot, that was great. I play Skate 3 in 4k still almost everyday on the X, looks awesome. I like the way MS is going despite this generation and will be buying the Xsex after the slim version or revised version comes out.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

@davillain-: "Just to be clear. The quote above says they will continue listening to community requests for backward compatible titles, so not all games will make it to BC list."

It might be regarding original Xbox and Xbox 360 BC, after all they put out last round of BC titles to XB1 a while back, said they'd put that BC support on hold until after new console releases. They could just mean resuming to further build that catalog later, they use to take suggestions for that. Anyhow, fingers crossed it rolls out smoothly. XB1 BC became great but it started out messy. I am hoping it was a valuable learning experience going forward to Series X.

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Livecommander
Member since 2009 • 1388 Posts

When the ps5 announced that I would have limited bc lems went crazy. Now they act like its acceptable to them lol

Boy has this gen has been nice to sony playstation fans

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 VirusVaccine21
Member since 2020 • 748 Posts

In other words, Boobisoft has no new games so they'll depend on old game 2-3 people will play. Lol, flopbox series sex.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@Pedro:

But he is right if you want old games stay on last gen. New gens are about new experiences not old ones.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Pedro

@tormentos said:

@Pedro:

But he is right if you want old games stay on last gen. New gens are about new experiences not old ones.

New gens are not about new experiences. Its old experiences with prettier graphics. Nothing more. All of the hype for next gen are sequels (Spiderman 2, God of War 2, Horizon Zero Dawn 2 etc). Lets not pretend that next gen is going offer new experiences. That is just ignorant.

What is even more surprising is that we have threads on Sony's BC but neither of you were bitching about they having BC. Did you create a thread damage controlling that the PS5 would have more than 100 BC PS4 games?

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Juub1990
@Pedro said:

New gens are not about new experiences. Its old experiences with prettier graphics. Nothing more. All of the hype for next gen is sequels. Lets not pretend that next gen is going offer new experiences. That is just ignorant.

They are supposed to and it sure as heck ain't gonna happen if they let last gen tech hold them back.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Pedro

@Juub1990 said:
@Pedro said:

New gens are not about new experiences. Its old experiences with prettier graphics. Nothing more. All of the hype for next gen is sequels. Lets not pretend that next gen is going offer new experiences. That is just ignorant.

They are supposed to and it sure as heck ain't gonna happen if they let last gen tech hold them back.

They are supposed to? Since when? You all are old enough to know better but here we are talking about a next gen of consoles and supposedly being educated in hardware acting as if you all are new to console launches. This isn't 20 years ago where computational power for substantial for newer experiences. People speaking as if we are shifting to a new era of computational performance are severely detached from reality.

But this thread is about BC and somehow we sidetrack to other stuff. Surprise. 🤦‍♂️

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Juub1990
@Pedro said:

They are supposed to? Since when? You all are old enough to know better but here we are talking about a next gen of consoles and supposedly being educated in hardware acting as if you all are new to console launches. This isn't 20 years ago where computational power for substantial for newer experiences. People speaking as if we are shifting to a new era of computational performance are severely detached from reality.

Since the aging hardware becomes a roadblock to elements of game design.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

That's really cool. Hoping Sony can do the same for supported title, sounds kind like they will -- minus the HDR part.

Didn't know that teh Series X wouldn't be 100% BC, though. Always thought it would be. Regardless, very good move by MSoft.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Pedro

@Juub1990 said:

Since the aging hardware becomes a roadblock to elements of game design.

How often is that a problem? We have late gen games being ported to the Switch.😒

When the new systems launches, I would open to anyone pointing out the games that simply cannot be done existing platforms. I am not referring to just graphical upgrades.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Juub1990
@Pedro said:

How often is that a problem? We have late gen games being ported to the Switch.😒

When the new systems launches, I would open to anyone pointing out the games that simply cannot be done existing platforms. I am not referring to just graphical upgrades.

And despite being released in 2015 run and look like trash on the Switch and it's widely thought to be miraculous they even managed to port TW3 on the Switch.

The second part of your post is exactly what they want the new experiences. They want them to showcase games that otherwise could not be done on current hardware. If they end up showcasing the same old trash with nicer graphics it's certainly wouldn't be the new hardware's fault but rather a lack of creativity.

The hardware is there for devs to exploit new possibilities and creative endeavors.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

@Sevenizz said:

@davillain-: ‘Backwards compatible games run natively on the Xbox Series X hardware‘

Does ‘natively’ mean they run off disc now or download onto the hard drive and the disc is used as a key like the last time?

"Natively" just means it runs same emulator. There's no "Xbox One" mode or "Xbox One X" mode....it just runs....at the full extent of the Series X spec....just like a PC would. I think there's no blockade for Original Xbox to Xbox 360 as well but only licensing and testing the game before it can be released.

@Juub1990 said:
@Pedro said:

Getting newer AAA games is going to take longer then it is now. MS knows BC will help ease the time which is what Pedro is saying.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@Juub1990: All I'm saying is they have lots of experience with BC, the ps2 could run ps1 games and upscale them a bit (although I could never see the difference) and the ps3 could run both ps2 and ps1 games. Sony isn't new to BC and they aren't really starting from scratch.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Juub1990
@vfighter said:

@Juub1990: All I'm saying is they have lots of experience with BC, the ps2 could run ps1 games and upscale them a bit (although I could never see the difference) and the ps3 could run both ps2 and ps1 games. Sony isn't new to BC and they aren't really starting from scratch.

Not sure how relevant BC from 20 years ago is to today honestly. Sony hasn't done BC compatibility in 13 years.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Pedro

@Juub1990 said:

And despite being released in 2015 run and look like trash on the Switch and it's widely thought to be miraculous they even managed to port TW3 on the Switch.

The second part of your post is exactly what they want the new experiences. They want them to showcase games that otherwise could not be done on current hardware. If they end up showcasing the same old trash with nicer graphics it's certainly wouldn't be the new hardware's fault but rather a lack of creativity.

The hardware is there for devs to exploit new possibilities and creative endeavors.

This is very true. However, that is always dependent on the developer. If while they are developing any game they find that the constraints of the older systems is just too much, I am all in favor of cutting ties. But, if their design is not constraint by the older systems, then I see no reason to cut ties.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Juub1990
@Pedro said:

This is very true. However, that is always dependent on the developer. If while they are developing any game they find that the constraints of the older systems is just too much, I am all in favor of cutting ties. But, if their design is not constraint by the older systems, then I see no reason to cut ties.

Well yeah and this is what I want. For instance, Larian said Baldur's Gate 3 isn't possible on current-gen systems. I wouldn't want them to compromise their game to have it run on current gen. We want new experiences exactly because we don't want the same old shit. If it turns out they still deliver the same recycled stuff then I'm all for supporting systems all the way to the Xbox One or even Switch. I just hope they leverage the power of the new systems to give us something worthwhile with as little constraints as possible.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

Another reason why XSX is my console of choice next gen... BC is very important to me.