UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By UnnDunn
Member since 2002 • 3979 Posts

This picture right here represents everything that makes Xbox such a great platform right now.

• Xbox Series S: Super small and light. Add xScreen to make it a top-notch portable gaming rig.
  • Burnout Revenge. Classic game. Cloud saves means my save file is right there. And I have all the newest games: Forza Horizon 5, Halo Infinite, Pinball FX3, Control, etc. Any game I can play on my Xbox Series X, I can play on this.
  • Not shown: 2TB Xbox Storage Expansion Card. Holds all the games I care about. Unplug from my Xbox Series X at home, plug into this, play instantly. No downloads, updates or transfers. When I get home, plug it back into my Xbox Series X and keep playing. No screwdrivers required.
  • Also not shown: headphone jack in the controller means I can play this even in quiet environments, such as a train or a plane. Can you play your PS5 (or any PlayStation console) on a plane (not counting PSP or PS Vita)?

I literally keep this in my car and take it everywhere I go. Whenever I have time to kill and I can find a power outlet, I can set this up in a minute or two and play Xbox. Quick Resume still works, so I can close the lid (it shuts off the Xbox automatically) whenever I want, then come back later and continue right where I left off. Try doing that with your PS5.

I'm seriously in love with this thing. It's just perfect.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

“Whenever I have time to kill and I can find a power outlet”

So not portable? Got it…

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69087 Posts

portable: able to be easily carried or moved, especially because being of a lighter and smaller version than usual.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9384 Posts

Curious how much power this whole setup draws.

It's certainly more luxurious than something like a Steam Deck.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 45996 Posts

I hope that the current Need for speed game that Criterion is making plays like the old Burnout games.

UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 UnnDunn

@pyro1245: According to the people who make the xScreen, it draws a max of 80w.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6844 Posts
@UnnDunn said:

This picture right here represents everything that makes Xbox such a great platform right now.

• Xbox Series S: Super small and light. Add xScreen to make it a top-notch portable gaming rig.
  • Burnout Revenge. Classic game. Cloud saves means my save file is right there. And I have all the newest games: Forza Horizon 5, Halo Infinite, Pinball FX3, Control, etc. Any game I can play on my Xbox Series X, I can play on this.
  • Not shown: 2TB Xbox Storage Expansion Card. Holds all the games I care about. Unplug from my Xbox Series X at home, plug into this, play instantly. No downloads, updates or transfers. When I get home, plug it back into my Xbox Series X and keep playing. No screwdrivers required.
  • Also not shown: headphone jack in the controller means I can play this even in quiet environments, such as a train or a plane. Can you play your PS5 (or any PlayStation console) on a plane (not counting PSP or PS Vita)?

I literally keep this in my car and take it everywhere I go. Whenever I have time to kill and I can find a power outlet, I can set this up in a minute or two and play Xbox. Quick Resume still works, so I can close the lid (it shuts off the Xbox automatically) whenever I want, then come back later and continue right where I left off.

I'm seriously in love with this thing. It's just perfect. Try doing that with your PS5.

I wouldn't want to.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@Pedro said:

portable: able to be easily carried or moved, especially because being of a lighter and smaller version than usual.

Except it has to be plugged into a wall. What does EVERY portable system that has launched since the Gameboy have in common? Calling this transportable makes more sense than portable. Because they don’t actually function without a power outlet…

Not to mention, I don’t think there’s a power outlet near my toilet in the master bathroom. So this fails to check that box as well…

But seriously though, these console screens are neat but nothing new. We had them back during the PS1, GameCube and PS2 days. The concept isn’t nearly as cool or necessary as it was 20 years ago. Streaming to mobile devices is more than sufficient, especially since, again, that route is actually portable.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#9 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12792 Posts

@Pedro said:

Oof....that's gonna sting.

UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By UnnDunn
@goldenelementxl said:
@Pedro said:

Except it has to be plugged into a wall. What does EVERY portable system that has launched since the Gameboy have in common? Calling this transportable makes more sense than portable. Because they don’t actually function without a power outlet…

Not to mention, I don’t think there’s a power outlet near my toilet in the master bathroom. So this fails to check that box as well…

But seriously though, these console screens are neat but nothing new. We had them back during the PS1, GameCube and PS2 days. The concept isn’t nearly as cool or necessary as it was 20 years ago. Streaming to mobile devices is more than sufficient, especially since, again, that route is actually portable.

I think the word you are looking for is "handheld", not "portable". All handhelds are portable, but not all portables are handheld. Game Boy is a handheld. Steam Deck is handheld. Nintendo Switch can be handheld, off the dock and with joycons attached. This is not handheld, but it's still portable.

The difference now is I've got dozens of games to choose from without having to lug a bunch of discs around.

Streaming to mobile devices requires a robust mobile data connection. This doesn't. I can play full-fat Xbox games on a plane with this. Perfect for a cross-country or transatlantic flight.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KvallyX

@UnnDunn said:
@goldenelementxl said:
@Pedro said:

I think the word you are looking for is "handheld", not "portable". All handhelds are portable, but not all portables are handheld. Game Boy is a handheld. Steam Deck is handheld. Nintendo Switch can be handheld, off the dock and with joycons attached. This is not handheld, but it's still portable.

The difference now is I've got dozens of games to choose from without having to lug a bunch of discs around.

Streaming to mobile devices requires a robust mobile data connection. This doesn't. I can play full-fat Xbox games on a plane with this. Perfect for a cross-country or transatlantic flight.

I have a portable heater on my desk next to me that is the size of a softball. It has to be plugged in. I guess it's not portable by his definition lol.

adjective

1. able to be easily carried or moved, especially because being of a lighter and smaller version than usual."a portable television"Similar:transportablemovablemobiletransferableeasily carriedeasy to carryconveyabletravelingtravellightweightcompacthandyconvenientmanageableportative

noun

1. a version of something, such as a small lightweight television or computer, that can be easily carried."the notes had been typed on an old portable with a faded ribbon"
  2. a small transportable building used as a classroom.

Must be "make up your own definition" week! I didn't get the memo :(

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@UnnDunn: @x_hedon:

Portable gaming at its finest! Just be careful and don’t trip over the power cord…

The Wii U was far more portable than this thing. You could at least play a game a few feet away from an outlet. I get what y’all are saying, but this isn’t as convenient as you‘d think. At least you can get a gaming laptop to function on its own for an hour or so…

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38127 Posts

Gaming bliss+Series S? Nice joke.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KvallyX

@goldenelementxl said:

@UnnDunn: @x_hedon:

Portable gaming at its finest! Just be careful and don’t trip over the power cord…

The Wii U was far more portable than this thing. You could at least play a game a few feet away from an outlet. I get what y’all are saying, but this isn’t as convenient as you‘d think. At least you can get a gaming laptop to function on its own for an hour or so…

Nothing wrong with that portable Xbox. I never trip over the portable heater cord at my desk.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50495 Posts

So, the PS5 is portable because I can take it somewhere else, plug it into a screen and outlet, and play it? Sweet!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@x_hedon: I’m most impressed with that Yeti. I like that black one. And that heater, while nice, is moved how often? That cord probably isn’t much of an issue because its able to be tucked away in a spot that’s more permanent AT YOUR DESK, than a portable gaming system would probably be…

@Chutebox said:

So, the PS5 is portable because I can take it somewhere else, plug it into a screen and outlet, and play it? Sweet!

lmao. Exactly! Well maybe not the PS5. That’s like calling a coffee table portable…

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

Laptop seems like a better option. Plus it has a battery. Probably a little more money than this, but you get loads more than this can give also.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KvallyX
@goldenelementxl said:

@x_hedon: I’m most impressed with that Yeti. I like that black one. And that heater, while nice, is moved how often? That cord probably isn’t much of an issue because its able to be tucked away in a spot that’s more permanent than a portable gaming system would probably be…

I am a Yeti fanatic. I have every color in that Yeti model. I have the wine Yeti's. Can Yeti's. Mutiple Yeti coolers. My wife says I have a Yeti sickness.

The description of my plug in heater says:

"Ceramic space heater, electric portable room heater with adjustable thermostat and overheat protection for home bedroom or office"

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KvallyX

@goldenelementxl I am just being difficult to be difficult :) I wouldn't ever do any of those portable (or not portable) options, not even laptops. My Switch is for docking only.

UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 UnnDunn

I'm just laughing at all you PS5 fanboys trying desperately to redefine "portable". 🤣

It's OK guys. Maybe you'll get a PS5 Slim in 3-4 years.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 44943 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

“Whenever I have time to kill and I can find a power outlet”

So not portable? Got it…

/thread

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By KvallyX

Well, if people want to create their own definition of portable, that is fine. Doesn't matter to me either way. But you know me, I love pictures! You do you, I will do me....:)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@x_hedon said:

@goldenelementxl I am just being difficult to be difficult :) I wouldn't ever do any of those portable (or not portable) options, not even laptops. My Switch is for docking only.

Its all good. I’ve been know to do the same myself. But dock only Switch owners make my eye Twitch a little. I would have thrown my OLED Switch dock away if it didn’t have that Ethernet port. But the OLED ain’t going in that thing, EVER…

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Pedro

@goldenelementxl said:
@Pedro said:

I gave the definition and this fits. Not my problem if you disagree with the actual definition of the word.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@UnnDunn said:

I'm just laughing at all you PS5 fanboys trying desperately to redefine "portable". 🤣

It's OK guys. Maybe you'll get a PS5 Slim in 3-4 years.

What will that do for them? It still won’t be portable… Not portable AND functional anyway…

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 7977 Posts

Series s is super accessible

I mean for $300 entry it's pretty awesome.

A switch OLED costs more than the series S..

A good gaming laptop is over $1,200 easily.

For $300 the series S is a steal, not to mention get a gamepass sub and you have 100s of titles at your finger tips. Can't knock it. I have the series X because I wanted the disk drive for my physical collection. But series S is a good deal.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 KvallyX

@goldenelementxl said:
@x_hedon said:

Its all good. I’ve been know to do the same myself. But dock only Switch owners make my eye Twitch a little. I would have thrown my OLED Switch dock away if it didn’t have that Ethernet port. But the OLED ain’t going in that thing, EVER…

If I couldn't dock the Switch and couldn't get a normal controller (Pro controller), there wouldn't be a Nintendo product in my house :)

I am really not much into portable gaming at all. Not even on my phone. I have a PSP-3000 and I played like 4 or 5 games on it. But I just never have connected with that kind of gaming. I wish I could.

Now, I do play solitaire on the plane :)

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8461 Posts

What if I tell you about a top secret alien tech: Notebooks/Laptops.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KvallyX

@pc_rocks said:

What if I tell you about a top secret alien tech: Notebooks/Laptops.

PC gaming sucks ass dood.

sucks ass for me, not for others :)

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11002 Posts

Try doing that with your PS5

Try having a decent resolution AND frame rate with a Series S

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 KvallyX

@BenjaminBanklin said:

Try doing that with your PS5

Try having a decent resolution AND frame rate with a Series S

AND with a PS5 or XSX. None of them can do it this gen, and it is pretty pathetic.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SargentD

@pc_rocks: yeah you can get a gaming laptop and spend 4x as much money *shrug* this thing is $300 and gamepass ready. For the price point you gotta admit it's a good deal.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@sargentd said:

@pc_rocks: yeah you can get a gaming laptop and spend 4x as much money *shrug* this thing is $300 and gamepass ready. For the price point you gotta admit it's a good deal.

The screen attachment is another $250. There’s better ways to spend that $550, if value is your biggest concern. ESPECIALLY when you will be plugged into an outlet at all times.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SargentD

@goldenelementxl: what console is a better value? Even with the screen attachment at $250...

What gaming laptop are you suggesting for $550?

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 KvallyX

@goldenelementxl said:
@sargentd said:

The screen attachment is another $250. There’s better ways to spend that $550, if value is your biggest concern. ESPECIALLY when you will be plugged into an outlet at all times.

Well, if you want "handheld" portability and the smallest investment expense, playing games via xCloud on your device of choice is probably best. Connect an Xbox controller to your iPhone or Android, and you are on your way. Screen not big enough? iPad or Kindle Fire.

No outlets to be plugged into. Though I do plug my devices into outlets all the time at airports, work and home because of my "ocd" with seeing my battery life get below 90%. I have issues.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9477 Posts

I don't want an S and I do want a good gaming laptop though. Portability only really matters as far as the catalog of games you can play. If you already own a PS5 and XSX then an S wouldn't make sense where as something like a gaming laptop or Steam Deck make perfect sense in my opinion. I'd love to find a great laptop for around $2,000 but I never know what to look for.

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 me2002
Member since 2002 • 3058 Posts

Reminds me of this:

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

The Series S is a turdstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@me2002 said:

Reminds me of this:

We could fit like 6 of those in our pockets back in the day

Fuhrer_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Fuhrer_D
Member since 2011 • 1125 Posts

Had one of those for my gamecube back in college. I tell you what, playing Resident Evil Remake on that screen with head phones was an experience like few others.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8461 Posts

@sargentd said:

RTX 3000 laptops starts at 999 and can do 4x more than the series S.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

I've gotten to try a Series S, highly unimpressed. Plus that things throws so much damn heat out of the black circle don't be surprised if it melts your screen if you play longer then 10 minutes.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Worst version of the steam deck ever 😜

Avatar image for deactivated-631373f44e9fd
deactivated-631373f44e9fd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-631373f44e9fd
Member since 2004 • 549 Posts

Burnout Revenge, best burnout :D

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Pedro

@xantufrog said:

Worst version of the steam deck ever 😜

Exactly. I heard the battery life is terribad.😎

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#46 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5234 Posts

@WitIsWisdom: Are the Alienware gaming laptops are worth their high price, or they are over-priced? The high price of these laptops is a dealbreaker, but their garish designs (they look ugly in my opinion) is also a dealbreaker.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#47  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34469 Posts

LOL

Joke thread, right?