Xbox Series consoles to increase price in Japan

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

11282

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11282 Posts

Because they were already selling like hotcakes over there. /s

Microsoft has announced a 5,000 yen price increase for the manufacturer suggested retail price of Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S consoles in Japan, which will go into effect beginning February 17.

https://www.gematsu.com/2023/01/xbox-series-x-and-xbox-series-s-price-increase-announced-for-japan

This is pretty much waving the white flag at this point. Xbox sales in Japan have already cratered and this move will send them in reverse. Of all the countries that need a price increase the least, you'd think their worst market would have been safe.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

45690

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45690 Posts

Wow, Microsoft is a 2 trillion dollar company, this is outrageous !

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
R4gn4r0k

46824

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46824 Posts

Playstation consoles increased price on Europe, Xbox increased price in Japan.

USA gamers living the good life.

Avatar image for SecretPolice
SecretPolice

44414

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44414 Posts

If they want the best over there, they're going to have the pay the price. Simple as that. :P

Avatar image for daredevils2k
daredevils2k

5001

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

To think the lems stated that MS will never increase price with their console ,because they are sooooooo rich . But since then that statement, MS has laid off workers, destroyed 343 reputation and yet lems always no what’s best :)

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
R4gn4r0k

46824

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#6 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46824 Posts

Wait the Xbox Series X was only 390 euro in japan?

Ok forget what I said: it's just Europe always getting the shaft.

Avatar image for pc_rocks
PC_Rocks

8521

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#7 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8521 Posts

I'm sure the whole 6 people would be really pi$$sed.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

70910

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#8 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70910 Posts
@pc_rocks said:

I'm sure the whole 6 people would be really pi$$sed.

😂

Avatar image for Litchie
Litchie

34880

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#9 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34880 Posts

That'll fix it.

Avatar image for Zero_epyon
Zero_epyon

20290

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#10 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20290 Posts

ANTI CONSUMER!!!!!

Avatar image for adsparky
adsparky

2625

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 0

#11 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2625 Posts

I think this is bad PR, because with the amount they sell there hardly anyone would have noticed if they didn't say a word.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

70910

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#12 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70910 Posts

@Zero_epyon: It is

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

3769

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

I forget, is it okay if Sony does this, but not if Microsoft does it? Or is it the other way around.

Avatar image for robert_sparkes
robert_sparkes

7337

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#14 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7337 Posts

MS need to lower the price in Japan but either way it's not selling over there anyway.

Avatar image for HalcyonScarlet
HalcyonScarlet

13672

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#15 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13672 Posts

About £30 or $35+ dollars.

Avatar image for Nike_Air
Nike_Air

19734

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#16 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19734 Posts

Unbelievable. This can't be real. Say it ain't so.

Avatar image for simple-facts
simple-facts

2592

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

I don't live there or know anyone from Japan.

But my deepest condolences to anyone involved in this travisty.

Blame Sony,they opened the price rise door,and cows accepted it dry...OOOF

Avatar image for onesiphorus
onesiphorus

5315

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#18 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5315 Posts

Is there a reason for the price increase in Japan? Supply and demand issues?

Avatar image for sealionact
sealionact

9860

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#19 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9860 Posts

@daredevils2k: At least we know. We don’t no.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

7142

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#20 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

What a surprise, lems are avoiding the thread. Can we have name and shame threads for crap they speak?

Avatar image for hardwenzen
hardwenzen

40434

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#21 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 40434 Posts

From selling 10 xboxes per month, it will now sell 3.

Avatar image for loudheadphones
loudheadphones

1249

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#22 loudheadphones
Member since 2023 • 1249 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Wow, Microsoft is a 2 trillion dollar company, this is outrageous !

They can afford the loss it seems.

Phil Spencer after PS5 price increase

We're always evaluating our business going forward so I don't think we can ever say on anything that we'll never do something," Spencer said. "But when we look at our consoles today, we think value's incredibly important.

Avatar image for nintendoboy16
nintendoboy16

41652

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#23 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41652 Posts

That'll make Xbox a success in Japan... (/s)

Avatar image for lamprey263
lamprey263

44762

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#24 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44762 Posts

When I checked this morning it's .0077 yen per USD and the new price of a Series X is around 60K yen so that makes it about $462 (rounded up), still about $38 cheaper than in the United States.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

11282

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#25 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11282 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

When I checked this morning it's .0077 yen per USD and the new price of a Series X is around 60K yen so that makes it about $462 (rounded up), still about $38 cheaper than in the United States.

Yeah. Around the same price as a disc PS5 there

Avatar image for Zero_epyon
Zero_epyon

20290

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#27 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20290 Posts

@Pedro said:

@Zero_epyon: It is

It isn't...

The Yen is losing value just like the Rupee and the Pound. This is why Sony and MS are raising prices in these specific regions.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

70910

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#28 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70910 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:
@Pedro said:

@Zero_epyon: It is

It isn't...

The Yen is losing value just like the Rupee and the Pound. This is why Sony and MS are raising prices in these specific regions.

Thanks for sharing your opinion.☺️

Avatar image for lamprey263
lamprey263

44762

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#29 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44762 Posts

The price increase we've seen from both MS and Sony seem to reflect big lows in currencies from the $ against the € the £ and the ¥. Japan hit a 20 year low against the USD just a few months back.

Avatar image for Zero_epyon
Zero_epyon

20290

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#30 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20290 Posts

@Pedro said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@Pedro said:

@Zero_epyon: It is

It isn't...

The Yen is losing value just like the Rupee and the Pound. This is why Sony and MS are raising prices in these specific regions.

Thanks for sharing your opinion.☺️

Cmon don't be a clown.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

70910

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#31 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70910 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:
@Pedro said:

Thanks for sharing your opinion.☺️

Cmon don't be a clown.

I am a clown for saying "Thanks for sharing your opinion"?🤔

Avatar image for Zero_epyon
Zero_epyon

20290

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#32 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20290 Posts

@Pedro said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@Pedro said:

Thanks for sharing your opinion.☺️

Cmon don't be a clown.

I am a clown for saying "Thanks for sharing your opinion"?🤔

You're a clown for stating that what I said is an opinion and not a fact about the current state of these currencies.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

70910

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#33  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70910 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:

You're a clown for stating that what I said is an opinion and not a fact about the current state of these currencies.

It being anti-consumer is not an opinion.

Avatar image for Zero_epyon
Zero_epyon

20290

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#34 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20290 Posts

@Pedro said:
@Zero_epyon said:

You're a clown for stating that what I said is an opinion and not a fact about the current state of these currencies.

It being anti-consumer is not an opinion.

Indeed it is. Adjusting prices because of market conditions is consumer neutral. It's anit-consumer when those adjustments are exaggerated. For example, if gas prices rise by 5% on average but one company takes advantage and raises prices by 25% without justification. That's price gouging and that's anti-consumer.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

70910

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#35 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70910 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:

Indeed it is. Adjusting prices because of market conditions is consumer neutral. It's anit-consumer when those adjustments are exaggerated. For example, if gas prices rise by 5% on average but one company takes advantage and raises prices by 25% without justification. That's price gouging and that's anti-consumer.

I don't write the definitions of terms, just adhere to what they mean. If it is not favorable to consumers, it is anti-consumer. A price increase is not favorable to consumers, thus making it anti-consumer. I am not sure what your issue is since you are the one that initially made the claim. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Avatar image for gotgames
gotgames

476

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#36 gotgames
Member since 2022 • 476 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: to my knowledge in USA PS5 is 499 + tax = depending on state 530-550 dollars when you leave the store. In Europe ps5 is 499 and when you leave the store you paid 499 taxes is already included in the price. If i am wrong feel free to correct me

Avatar image for Zero_epyon
Zero_epyon

20290

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#37 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20290 Posts

@Pedro said:
@Zero_epyon said:

Indeed it is. Adjusting prices because of market conditions is consumer neutral. It's anit-consumer when those adjustments are exaggerated. For example, if gas prices rise by 5% on average but one company takes advantage and raises prices by 25% without justification. That's price gouging and that's anti-consumer.

I don't write the definitions of terms, just adhere to what they mean. If it is not favorable to consumers, it is anti-consumer. A price increase is not favorable to consumers, thus making it anti-consumer. I am not sure what your issue is since you are the one that initially made the claim. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Anti-consumer: not favorable to consumer; improperly favoring the interests of businesses over the interests of consumers

It's not just what's unfavorable to the consumer but also if it improperly favors the interest of the business. Adjusting for inflation is not improper, though consumers could perceive it as unfavorable.

My initial post was clearly sarcastic being all caps with multiple exclamations. I was making fun of those who called Sony anti-consumer for raising prices in other regions for the exact same reasons.

Neither MS nor Sony are being anti-consumer by raising a region's prices based on their economy.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

70910

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#38 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70910 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:

Anti-consumer: not favorable to consumer; improperly favoring the interests of businesses over the interests of consumers

It's not just what's unfavorable to the consumer but also if it improperly favors the interest of the business. Adjusting for inflation is not improper, though consumers could perceive it as unfavorable.

My initial post was clearly sarcastic being all caps with multiple exclamations. I was making fun of those who called Sony anti-consumer for raising prices in other regions for the exact same reasons.

Neither MS nor Sony are being anti-consumer by raising a region's prices based on their economy.

As I have stated before, thank you for sharing your opinion.

Avatar image for Zero_epyon
Zero_epyon

20290

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#39 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20290 Posts

@Pedro said:
@Zero_epyon said:

Anti-consumer: not favorable to consumer; improperly favoring the interests of businesses over the interests of consumers

It's not just what's unfavorable to the consumer but also if it improperly favors the interest of the business. Adjusting for inflation is not improper, though consumers could perceive it as unfavorable.

My initial post was clearly sarcastic being all caps with multiple exclamations. I was making fun of those who called Sony anti-consumer for raising prices in other regions for the exact same reasons.

Neither MS nor Sony are being anti-consumer by raising a region's prices based on their economy.

As I have stated before, thank you for sharing your opinion.

And with that, your transformation is complete!

Avatar image for onesiphorus
onesiphorus

5315

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#40 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5315 Posts

@gotgames said:

@R4gn4r0k: to my knowledge in USA PS5 is 499 + tax = depending on state 530-550 dollars when you leave the store. In Europe ps5 is 499 and when you leave the store you paid 499 taxes is already included in the price. If i am wrong feel free to correct me

The price of the PS5 in the U.S. not just depends on the state where it is sold, but also where in that state it is sold. Many states that levy sales tax also alow local governments (county and municipal) to impose their own sales tax, so the sales tax in one city in a state can be different from a neighboring city.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

70910

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#41 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70910 Posts

@Zero_epyon: I see you are not taking well to me thanking you for your opinion. 😂

Avatar image for Zero_epyon
Zero_epyon

20290

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#42  Edited By Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20290 Posts

@Pedro said:

@Zero_epyon: I see you are not taking well to me thanking you for your opinion. 😂

I see you're enjoying your time being a clown. To each his own lol.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

70910

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#43 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70910 Posts

@Zero_epyon: Seems like you are still upset that I agree with your initial post and thanking you for your opinion. 😂

Avatar image for rewgle
Rewgle

414

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#44 Rewgle
Member since 2022 • 414 Posts

Microsoft and Japanese gamers aren't the ones to really blame for the failure of XBOX in Japan, rather, it falls on Japanese developers who insist on developing games first and foremost for the flagship Japanese console.

Most Japanese probably aren't buying Playstations for The Last of Us and God of War, but because of the niche Japanese games being made exclusively for the system.

Avatar image for WadeKuun
WadeKuun

161

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#45 WadeKuun
Member since 2012 • 161 Posts

They have told us before this would happen even though the tariffs against importing chips was delayed...

Avatar image for me2002
me2002

3058

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#46 me2002
Member since 2002 • 3058 Posts

They can buy Activision for $69 million but they can't take a small loss in a small market?