ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1 ThatDBFan
Member since 2019 • 939 Posts

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/10/18660423/microsoft-xbox-backward-compatibility-project-scarlett-e3-2019

MS confirmed Scarlett will be BC with Xbox One, Xbox 360, and Xbox games. And this weeks batch of Xbox One BC games will be the last batch leading into next gen.

This is great news tbh. MS really isn't keen on making the same mistakes they did with the OG Xbox One's launch.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

i mean it would be the dumbest thing ever if they just threw all that stuff away next gen

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

So why get a Scarlet? They really are killing themselves by not making Halo Infinite exclusive to scarlet hardware.

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4 ThatDBFan
Member since 2019 • 939 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

So why get a Scarlet? They really are killing themselves by not making Halo Infinite exclusive to scarlet hardware.

Given how 343 and MS talked about the Scarlett giving them so much room for Halo infinite, I'd imagine most of the focus will be on the Scarlett version. Plus, they have other games in development for it. Like Ninja Theory confirmed at e3 that they have several projects in development.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

This was always going to be the case. MSoft knows how to do BC and console iteration sooooooo.

EG101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 EG101
Member since 2007 • 2091 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

If you want the better playing and far better looking version with Ray Tracing.

If not just get it for your existing HW.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

That's... Damn good. I'd like to see Sony's counter to full BC.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

Not at all surprising but certainly great to hear.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

wish sony would do this with ps2 games, i have so many

Avatar image for deactivated-5e171d7dbd091
deactivated-5e171d7dbd091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5e171d7dbd091
Member since 2018 • 284 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Because some of us who actually purchase Xbox One X like me probably won't buy Scarlet and the fact Xbox One X jump-in very late into this cycle will still be relevant and probably won't buy a Scarlet. MS did the right thing by making Halo Infinite cross-gen versions. Hell even Nintendo did cross-gen versions with Breath of the Wild Wii U/Switch.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

What happened to Anaconda and Lockheart?

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

That's... Damn good. I'd like to see Sony's counter to full BC.

I'd like to see them port several PS2 titles and 95% library of PSVITA and PSP. PSP basically gives you roughly 2 generations with PSOne compatibility.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@Zero_epyon: I'm going out on a limb and think that the SAD Edition did not have the prerequisite adoption Microsoft wanted to lean on making a discless Scarlet SKU.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BoxRekt
Member since 2019 • 2425 Posts
@Shewgenja said:

@Zero_epyon: I'm going out on a limb and think that the SAD Edition did not have the prerequisite adoption Microsoft wanted to lean on making a discless Scarlet SKU.

lol the thing flopped so hard after it released MS and company have not even mentioned anything more about it or spoke on having a diskless anything and pretended like it never happened.

That was supposed to be Anaconda and Lockheart (the diskless version), from E3 sounds like they're only doing 1 SKU now. So much indecision and mixed messages from MS.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

@evil_loli said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

Because some of us who actually purchase Xbox One X like me probably won't buy Scarlet and the fact Xbox One X jump-in very late into this cycle will still be relevant and probably won't buy a Scarlet. MS did the right thing by making Halo Infinite cross-gen versions. Hell even Nintendo did cross-gen versions with Breath of the Wild Wii U/Switch.

So I can say the same thing about PS4 pro do you think Sony is not making a HDZ 2 for it and the PS5?

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BoxRekt
@xhawk27 said:
@evil_loli said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

So I can say the same thing about PS4 pro do you think Sony is not making a HDZ 2 for it and the PS5?

lol no you can't!

Sony has made it crystal clear as they said they believe in a complete console spit in generations.

You guys were the one's preaching and hyping, "gens are dead" nonsense when MS said they didn't want to have generations anymore, now you're backtracking.

No HZD2 won't be on PS4 anything, it will be a ground up PS5 exclusive. Does that upset you? You sound lost.

Other than Death Standing, Ghosts of Tsushima and The Last of Us 2 which were already announced as PS4 titles, Sony will only release AA and indie level games for cross gen titles going forward.

Are you feeling a bit insecure now with all that hyping, "gens are dead" while chearleading for MS's one size fits all development direction? Guess you see how short sighted that is now but both MS and Sony have spoken on this matter and you were praising MS for their stand, don't try to lump Sony in with what MS is doing now LMAO.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@boxrekt: Its not all bad for them. Being able to streamline the supply chain for a single sku will help with cost control.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

@Zero_epyon: think Anaconda and Lockhart fall under Scarlet. Details at e3 sound like they were talking about Anaconda. In follow up interviews they mention Scarlet as a platform.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BoxRekt
@Shewgenja said:

@boxrekt: Its not all bad for them. Being able to streamline the supply chain for a single sku will help with cost control.

lol yes if you like budget games and not getting the full potential out of your powerful so-called next gen console.

It's Xbox One X 2.0 Sea of Thieves only 120fps shit all over again lol

@xhawk27 Just in case you're thinking of questioning me saying that Sony is not doing the generic unoptimized development BS MS is doing with Scarlet:

As part of Sony's Corporate Strategy Meeting recently, Sony said the PS5 will offer experiences that"greatly exceed" what is possible on PS4 and PS4 Pro. Sony said people can expect "completely transformative and immersive gaming experiences" on the PS5.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps5-more-cross-gen-backwards-compatibility-details/1100-6467385/

Enjoy your low tier developed MS games that you've been so passionately supportive of MS for sticking to.

I'll enjoy TRUE NEXT GEN games with Sony's PS5 and support them for sticking to true generation splits and giving us top tier coded to the metal AAA next gen exclusives.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Xbox = Microsoft's disagreement with Intel on CPU bias cost structure within game console price range. Xbox has a GPU bias cost structure within game console price range.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ronvalencia

@boxrekt said:
@Shewgenja said:

lol the thing flopped so hard after it released MS and company have not even mentioned anything more about it or spoke on having a diskless anything and pretended like it never happened.

That was supposed to be Anaconda and Lockheart (the diskless version), from E3 sounds like they're only doing 1 SKU now. So much indecision and mixed messages from MS.

Didn't you know MS has two 16 nm Xbox specs after Xbox One S? MS has PS4 Pro like specs and Xbox Scorpio specs.

MS ditched PS4 Pro like specs and focus on Xbox Scorpio.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're right. The SAD is going to beat the PSP Go as the most rejected and unwelcome game platform iteration yet.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BoxRekt
@ronvalencia said:
@boxrekt said:
@Shewgenja said:

Didn't you know MS has two 16 nm Xbox specs after Xbox One S? MS has PS4 Pro like specs and Xbox Scorpio specs.

Phil says he still wants to focus on making games for OG Xbox One even after Scarlet launches. You can't talk your way around those kind of hardware limitations.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ronvalencia

@boxrekt said:
@ronvalencia said:

Phil says he still wants to focus on making games for OG Xbox One even after Scarlet launches. You can't talk your way around those kind of hardware limitations.

Jaguar CPU can microcode emulate 256 bit AVX with it's 128 bit AVX hardware units. Jaguar was designed with forward compatibility with X86 CPUs with real 256 bit AVX hardware units.

AMD wasn't brain dead by equipping Jaguar with just 128bit SSE4.x compatibility when it comes to AVX road maps.

The same forward thinking benefits Sony's PS4.

CPU codebase between Jaguar and Zen v2 can remain the same with Zen v2 accelerating AVX 256 bit workloads.

C++ structure arrays targeting AVX 256 bit can remain the same between Jaguar and Zen v2.

MS and Sony selected AMD for multi-generation partnership and road maps.

CELL is dead when IBM killed SPU instruction set. IBM didn't plan to assimilate SPU instruction set into Power series CPUs.

Xbox 360's PPE VMX-128 is dead since IBM has another vector instruction set on Power i.e. VSX instruction set.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

This was a surprise to nobody.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

We kinda knew this was coming, but it’s cool that they’re going to be continuing the OG Xbox and 360 support.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@evil_loli said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

The whole point is to force people to buy the new system.

Halo Infinite better be the last cross gen game or Scarlet is finished before it ever started.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@Shewgenja said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're right. The SAD is going to beat the PSP Go as the most rejected and unwelcome game platform iteration yet.

DF mentioned that this E3 was supposed to be 2 hours long but it was actually 90 mins. They joke, but also not joke, that they cut 30 mins of Anaconda and Lockheart sections because plans changed just before the show. It's possible they say how bad the SAD went and are no longer pursuing them, at least not at launch.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

BC as in I can pop in any disc from any of those gens and it'll work, or BC as in the library they have now is just going to continue to get titles added and is moving over to Scarlet?