Xbox Scarlet info leak

• 124 results
#51 Posted by Ant_17 (12460 posts) -

@daniel_su123 said:
@davillain- said:

The fact MS is still gonna support Windows 10 and bring there games to PC, still no point in buying a next-gen Xbox if all their gonna do is just port MS exclusive games to PC.

But let's be serious, the reason why Xbox One isn't doing all that great to begin with is lack of variety exclusive games and if they don't get killer app exclusive games for next-gen Xbox console, it sure won't take off. Next-gen Xbox Scarlet has to build it's 1st party portfolio practically from scratch. Aside from the big three, none of the exclusives MS tried this gen worked out and relying too much on Halo, Gears, and Forza. So their new studios have to start fresh with new franchises or new iterations of classics like Fable. Sony already has it's portfolio established with new franchises introduced this generation to add to it's classic lineup. MS has a long way to go to catch up to that. And with 3rd party being available everywhere, there will be no relying on 3rd party exclusives to differentiate your console. 1st party is going to have to do that and I for hope MS do well with 1st party into next-gen!

There's no point in having an exclusive to hardware, especially when Streaming and services like Game Pass is becoming a thing.

Lets be clear, what this really enforces is that Sony simply can't compete against companies like MS, Google or Amazon, because they don't have the right amount of infrastructure to get it working. Even if they do it's likely going to be much more expensive than say Microsoft's solution.

Can you explain how does a PS4 compete with a platform it is being sold on???

#52 Posted by Random_Matt (4141 posts) -

Wonder if their servers will have beefy PC HW, or does parity still have to happen?

#53 Posted by Xabiss (2630 posts) -
@needhealing said:

To be honest, I'm with M$ on this one. Very smart move. The future is cloud, the question is are consumers ready for it next gen? By giving 2 options it is brilliant. Everyone knows my hate for M$ this gen, but great move.

I agree. It seems like a smart move to me and you get to work on perfecting cloud computing as you still have real hardware to sale. Brilliant move to be honest.

#54 Posted by BigBadBully (2162 posts) -

Pretty cool, Satya Nadella and Phil Spencer seeing eye to eye looks to be doing wonders for Xbox. Phil is getting support to boost gaming and Satya is down with supporting that along with his vision of making gaming accessible to as many people possible.

Cant wait to see what they have planned with whats coming next, i'm still waiting on tapping out the x1x and using all of its juices with one of those new samsung qled tvs theyve been working with MS on. MS did a great job with adding in that hdmi 2.1 and freesync stuff, just really cool features to prolong the life.

#55 Posted by Shewgenja (21452 posts) -

How we gonna talk about an all cloud console when we can't even see Crackdowns MP, yet?

#56 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (18878 posts) -

@BigBadBully said:

Pretty cool, Satya Nadella and Phil Spencer seeing eye to eye looks to be doing wonders for Xbox. Phil is getting support to boost gaming and Satya is down with supporting that along with his vision of making gaming accessible to as many people possible.

Cant wait to see what they have planned with whats coming next, i'm still waiting on tapping out the x1x and using all of its juices with one of those new samsung qled tvs theyve been working with MS on. MS did a great job with adding in that hdmi 2.1 and freesync stuff, just really cool features to prolong the life.

Yeah, well said.

Like I keep saying, MS giving more options to people & trying to attract more people to gaming can only be a good thing.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
#57 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (12862 posts) -

I see they didn't learn their lesson from "teh cloudz" this gen.

#58 Posted by Needhealing (2042 posts) -

@Xabiss said:
@needhealing said:

To be honest, I'm with M$ on this one. Very smart move. The future is cloud, the question is are consumers ready for it next gen? By giving 2 options it is brilliant. Everyone knows my hate for M$ this gen, but great move.

I agree. It seems like a smart move to me and you get to work on perfecting cloud computing as you still have real hardware to sale. Brilliant move to be honest.

Yeah, in my opinion Sony needs to do the same. And as you said, this could work for R&D. Maybe 2 gens from now it'll be full cloud consoles that might not even require such big boxes.

#59 Edited by lundy86_4 (53178 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

How we gonna talk about an all cloud console when we can't even see Crackdowns MP, yet?

Probably backpedalled and worked on an all-online service. This is 2-3 years out, so it's definitely doable, especially if they have worked out input lag (which i'll wait and see.) We know Azure is in use for other instances, but I don't think anything game related beyond cloud storage and shit.

The local model would be great for areas with shite internet, or just out-and-out no internet access.

---

Of course, all rumours and speculation, so not worth much.

#60 Posted by ReCloud (4418 posts) -

@joshrmeyer: I was referring to other thread where lemmings where trying to prove that streaming would be the end of it all when it's obvious that we'll have the choice between streaming and non streaming gaming devices.

#61 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (18878 posts) -

@recloud said:

@joshrmeyer: I was referring to other thread where lemmings where trying to prove that streaming would be the end of it all when it's obvious that we'll have the choice between streaming and non streaming gaming devices.

Huh, when?

#62 Posted by appariti0n (2760 posts) -

If true, this does not surprise me in the slightest. We all knew gaming would be going the Netflix route eventually.

#63 Posted by pdogg93 (1573 posts) -

@daniel_su123: Sony doesn’t really need to compete with betas and half baked titles when they keep dropping bangers. Streaming is lame.

#64 Edited by Daniel_Su123 (1066 posts) -

@Ant_17: Amazon can get into the gaming space. They have the capability to do so. They have AWS, distribution and can buy the IPs.

Cloud Gaming is the next battle ground for Cloud dominance hence why MS is aggressively investing here.

#65 Posted by QuadKnight (12916 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

Same things Im wondering.

#66 Edited by Daniel_Su123 (1066 posts) -
@pdogg93 said:

@daniel_su123: Sony doesn’t really need to compete with betas and half baked titles when they keep dropping bangers. Streaming is lame.

It's the future of gaming, EA is doing it, MS is doing it, Google is doing heck even Sony is doing it with their crappy implementation.

Like many people say, people who buy powerful hardware to play games is pretty much going to be a declining niche.

#67 Posted by Ovirew (9025 posts) -

It's far too early to speculate, but if this is the case then it'll be nice to have two different options to consider.

I think backwards-compatibility should be there from the start. XBL has been around for a while and has a ton of games - no reason to keep ditching them with each new launch.

#68 Posted by I_P_Daily (11814 posts) -

So the cows are off and racing with rumours LOL.

#69 Edited by jeezers (2865 posts) -

Having a streaming option at 150-200 would be clutch. I would justify that purchase in heartbeat just for gears halo and Forza. It'll be alot smaller and light. Not everyone wants to make 400-600 dollar dive into new hardware. This makes sense.

#70 Posted by VFighter (4913 posts) -

Cloud gaming Bwahahaha, weren't they embarrassed enough after the reveal in 2013/4?

#71 Posted by Daniel_Su123 (1066 posts) -
@vfighter said:

Cloud gaming Bwahahaha, weren't they embarrassed enough after the reveal in 2013/4?

Tell that to Sony when they couldn't get Streaming right, because they are crap at everything beyond traditional consoles. The gaming industry is moving towards this market. Sony and Nintendo will likely be left behind if they don't get a move on.

#72 Posted by sakaiXx (5502 posts) -

Rumors aside, why buy xbox next gen? Seemed they offers less value compared to others.

#73 Posted by phbz (4439 posts) -

Streaming will be without a doubt an important factor in gaming, if not eventually the dominant technology in 2 or 3 gens. MS knows this, Sony knows this, and so Google and Amazon. Damn even Nintendo knows it. People here can joke and pretend it's not a thing but they're just being silly. Can't say that I'm happy with this future landscape but I think it's kind of inevitable.

And the irony is that it will be the consumer making that choice, they don't have to force it on us. Imagine a point when the £150 machine outclasses the £400 one in performance, then I can see gamers naturally gravitating towards streaming.

What sucks most is that many of us will be left out.

#74 Posted by VFighter (4913 posts) -

@daniel_su123: I hate to break your heart but the industry, while they might want it, the consumers don't and it won't be happening any time soon. Not to mention it would alienate a LOT of customers who have shit internet or no internet.

#75 Posted by phbz (4439 posts) -

@vfighter: That last part it really depends if the industry cares that much about those who will be left behind. By slowly introduction streaming it might come to a point when the money generated by services plus the smaller risk associated with the hardware will make the industry give no fvcks.

#76 Posted by scatteh316 (10207 posts) -

Streaming box for people that have the internet that can handle the requirements and a hardware box for those that don't.

Clever thinking!

#77 Posted by tdkmillsy (3108 posts) -

@quadknight said:
@Ant_17 said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

@pdogg93: Lol wouldn't get your hopes up on that one... there are signs that good ol' arrogant Sony is rearing its ugly head, and it never ends well for them. But we'll see.

So i see lems are hoping Sony to do another PS3 so they can win.

Shows how much faith they have in the Bone to play fair.

Not even MS has faith in their brand lol.

Their only hope is Sony pulls a PS3, and even last gen when Sony tried every way to lose they still came back from the brink and beat MS. The next Xbox has a snowball's chance in hell of beating the PS5. Sony right now is a completely different company from what they were in 2006, and despite lems claiming "arrogant Sony" is back reality shows otherwise. They are so far ahead of the competition and they are still pumping out games like they are behind, that's not arrogance, that's dedication.

And despite what silly lems will have you believe on SW overall customer satisfaction with the PS4 is sky high, none of the forum rat issues like crossplay or PSN name change matter at all to most gamers out there especially Sony's customers. Sony knows what their customers want this gen and they are laser focused on delivering, and that's why they are so far ahead of the competition.

PS: This streaming option is dead in the water in the MiddleEast, Asia, and Eastern Europe. I guess MS feels they don't need those markets despite reality saying otherwise.

Microsoft cant be a totally different company in the future?

They are already taking positive steps in the direction of games, hardware with the X and now this.

2 consoles gives options for everyone.

Never Liked streaming myself and they better have it sorted if they going to bring it to the table or I will still have no interest.

Sony have won this round mostly due to Microsoft messing up the launch and their focus being well off. It certainly in a better place now and going forward.

#78 Posted by locopatho (23597 posts) -

I love that people dismiss cloud/streaming gaming when every other form of media has already been eaten by it.

Physical games will be like vinyl in a few years, a niche for collectors/enthusiasts and not much else. 99% will stream their games.

#80 Posted by scatteh316 (10207 posts) -
@locopatho said:

I love that people dismiss cloud/streaming gaming when every other form of media has already been eaten by it.

Physical games will be like vinyl in a few years, a niche for collectors/enthusiasts and not much else. 99% will stream their games.

Streaming will also be better for developers as it will offer way more power to create games with then what Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo can ever stuff in to a small $400 box.

#81 Edited by QuadKnight (12916 posts) -
@locopatho said:

Nah. Other forms of media don't have the latency issues that game streaming has that's why it works well for them. Game streaming will never be as good as having the actual machine with you because it requires for you to cheat the laws of physics. You can't move data faster than the speed of light, and in gaming where milliseconds counts having the cloud thousands of miles away from you will always suck compared to having a game machine in your house. Game streaming will be an option but until they find a way to totally negate lag and latency it's not gonna replace gaming hardware.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
#82 Posted by deactivated-5c18005f903a1 (4626 posts) -

@locopatho said:

Not just that but Sony already has a gaming cloud platform with PSnow. It's not beyond the realms of possibility people will be streaming PS4 games sooner or later.

#83 Posted by locopatho (23597 posts) -
@quadknight said:
@locopatho said:

Nah. Other forms of media don't have the latency issues that game streaming has that's why it works well for them. Game streaming will never be as good as having the actual machine with you because it requires for you to cheat the laws of physics. You can't move data faster than the speed of light, and in gaming where milliseconds counts having the cloud thousands of miles away from you will always suck compared to having a game machine in your house. Game streaming will be an option but until they find a way to totally negate lag and latency it's not gonna replace gaming hardware.

And the vinyl enthusiasts will tell you how digital music is never as good either.

Most won't care.

I'll be one of the niche still with physical media as long as possible, btw.

#84 Posted by scatteh316 (10207 posts) -
@quadknight said:
@locopatho said:

Nah. Other forms of media don't have the latency issues that game streaming has that's why it works well for them. Game streaming will never be as good as having the actual machine with you because it requires for you to cheat the laws of physics. You can't move data faster than the speed of light and in gaming where milliseconds counts having the cloud thousands of miles away from you will always suck compared to having a game machine in your room. Game streaming will be an option but until they find a way to totally negate lag and latency it's not gonna replace gaming hardware.

You would just have to limit frame rate.

I've seen figures of 7ms of latency per frame being added when going through the cloud compared to local which for a game targeting 60fps with a 16.6ms frame time is too much.

33.3ms for 30fps might just be doable though......

#85 Posted by tgob89 (2153 posts) -

@vfighter said:

@daniel_su123: I hate to break your heart but the industry, while they might want it, the consumers don't and it won't be happening any time soon. Not to mention it would alienate a LOT of customers who have shit internet or no internet.

I don't like the idea of someone being able to turn off my games with the pushof a button. You lemmings can have that shit.

When streaming becomes the primary and only outlet to engage with new games I will abandon the shitty gaming industry and find myself another more fulfilling primary leisure hobby.

I'm not buying into this shitty nickle-n-dime, pay-by-the-minute or loose your games vision that M$ is trying to Trojan Horse into the forefront of gaming. When/if Sony adopts it, **** it, I'm out.

#86 Edited by deactivated-5c18005f903a1 (4626 posts) -

@tgob89 said:
@vfighter said:

I don't like the idea of someone being able to turn off my games with the pushof a button. You lemmings can have that shit.

When streaming becomes the primary and only outlet to engage with new games I will abandon the shitty gaming industry and find myself another more fulfilling primary leisure hobby.

I'm not buying into this shitty nickle-n-dime, pay-by-the-minute or loose your games vision that M$ is trying to Trojan Horse into the forefront of gaming. When/if Sony adopts it, **** it, I'm out.

You guys already have this for your BC with PSnow. $ony clearly thinks this tech factors into future otherwise they wouldn't have bought Onlive and GaiKai.

#87 Edited by tgob89 (2153 posts) -

@boycie said:
@tgob89 said:
@vfighter said:

You guys already have this for your BC with PSnow. $ony clearly thinks this tech factors into future otherwise they wouldn't have bought Onlive and GaiKai.

First off PSnow isn't BC dummy, it's a gaming rental service with hundreds of games to access at one time just like GAMES PASS (FYI it offers tons more games than games pass) ,so lets just get that clear before you dive into any other stupidity with that lemming made propaganda/misinformation.

Now...

The second point of your post is actually true, and I do realize the possibility is there for sony to copy MS on this that is why I made a point to say when/if Sony adopts this...key point...as the primary only way to engage with new games, I'm out.

I don't really care who is the culprit behind this nefarious Trojan Horse, I see it for what it is when the loss of power it gives over a product you've invested in. I DO see the benefits of streaming, however EVEN if it works perfectly, service outages and server issues would render the games you've bought USELESS.

Last but not least, IF a company decided to close a server, such off your service for any specific reason they could INSTANTLY turn off all your games and you'd have no power to do anything about it.

Have fun with that, but I'm never buying into that.

#88 Posted by SecretPolice (35279 posts) -

Thank you MS, for the gamers, for the Options....

Jazzzz. lol :P

#89 Posted by scatteh316 (10207 posts) -
@tgob89 said:
@boycie said:
@tgob89 said:
@vfighter said:

First off PSnow isn't BC dummy, it's a gaming rental service with hundreds of games to access at one time just like GAMES PASS (FYI it offers tons more games than games pass) ,so lets just get that clear before you dive into any other stupidity with that lemming made propaganda/misinformation.

Can you tell me how many of PS4's AAAE/AAAAE games are on PSNow?

#90 Posted by Ant_17 (12460 posts) -

@daniel_su123 said:

@Ant_17: Amazon can get into the gaming space. They have the capability to do so. They have AWS, distribution and can buy the IPs.

Cloud Gaming is the next battle ground for Cloud dominance hence why MS is aggressively investing here.

So they are not even in the same league.

And let them join, they would probably beat MS instead of Sony.

#91 Posted by gamecubepad (7926 posts) -

Maybe other people have had more luck than me, but I've only had one decent experience with streaming and that was playing Arkham Asylum on a phone via OnLive many years ago(2012?). It was laggy, but playable and cool for a Samsung Galaxy gen 1. As a side note, I had 2 purchased games, Batman AA and Just Cause 2. When they folded and sold to Sony, everybody lost their games. Radical, huh?

Additionally, I've tried PSNow which was during it's initial release on PC. It would play audio, but no video. Posted to their tech forum and there was no response. Also gave GeForce Now, Steam stream, and D2D Streaming a whirl.

I really feel like GeForce Now is the best service and the only way that's acceptable to me. You link your Steam, UPlay, etc. accounts and then they download the game you own to their servers and they stream it to you. Steam for in-house wi-fi streaming.

#92 Posted by pdogg93 (1573 posts) -

Can’t wait to see MS get shit on all over again if they introduce streaming boxes at e3 2020. The tech isn’t ready

#93 Posted by QuadKnight (12916 posts) -

@locopatho said:
@quadknight said:
@locopatho said:

And the vinyl enthusiasts will tell you how digital music is never as good either.

Most won't care.

Still not comparable. We can barely stream games in 720p/1080p with great connections now and you expect us to be streaming 4K and higher resolutions at 60fps with low latency very soon? The internet would have to undergo major changes for that to even be in the realm of possibility, on top of that revolutionary tech would have to be invented to make such a proposition possible.

People now notice the difference between 1080p and 4K. They also notice and complain about drops in framerate and lag. What makes you think they won’t notice it when they are streaming? Gaming hardware will remain for a long time until we get over these technical hurdles. Comparing vinyl enthusiasts to people that want a steady framerate and no input lag in their game is disingenuous.

#94 Posted by Ant_17 (12460 posts) -

@quadknight said:
@locopatho said:
@quadknight said:
@locopatho said:

Most won't care.

Still not comparable. We can barely stream games in 720p/1080p with great connections now and you expect us to be streaming 4K and higher resolutions at 60fps with low latency very soon? The internet would have to undergo major changes for that to even be in the realm of possibility, on top of that revolutionary tech would have to be invented to make such a proposition possible.

People now notice the difference between 1080p and 4K. They also notice and complain about drops in framerate and lag. What makes you think they won’t notice it when they are streaming? Gaming hardware will remain for a long time until we get over these technical hurdles. Comparing vinyl enthusiasts to people that want a steady framerate and no input lag in their game is disingenuous.

And even being 100 bucks, that is too much for a stream box, when Steam link is 3 bucks.

https://www.pcgamer.com/steam-link-is-on-sale-for-just-dollar250/

#95 Posted by Ten_Pints (3799 posts) -

A cloud streaming box... kill it with fire.

#96 Edited by locopatho (23597 posts) -
@quadknight said:

It's technically possible to stream HD games currently.

4K harder but consoles mostly don't do 4K anyway.

Input lag will exist for streamed games but will be minimised in the same way online multiplayer lag is. Most gamers won't actually care. Most gamers don't even know what a frame rate is (beyond liking COD for it's "smoothness", etc)

There's no "revolutionary tech" needed, this is all possible today with current tech.

The vinyl comparison is apt. Or if you prefer, Netflix. Not as good quality as a Blu Ray, subject to lag and quality drops and stutters, but most folks just don't care.

#97 Posted by ProtossRushX (5357 posts) -

wtf the scorpio just came out why is scarlett coming so soon?

Microsoft pulling a sega with 32x + Saturn

#98 Posted by deactivated-5c18005f903a1 (4626 posts) -

@ProtossRushX: who said it's coming out soon. It could be years away

#99 Edited by QuadKnight (12916 posts) -

@locopatho: Next gen consoles will be 4K and even with the best internet connections lag and input lag is unbearable at times. I’ve used PSNow and GeForce Now extensively with my 1Gbps connection and even with my really good connection lag still remains streaming at 1080p.

The majority of the world isn’t even close to having a 1Gbps connection, not even here in the US. Until internet infrastructure around the world completely changes, and until they figure out how to seamlessly stream 4K and above, I feel gaming hardware isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.

#100 Posted by tgob89 (2153 posts) -

@scatteh316 said:
@tgob89 said:
@boycie said:
@tgob89 said:
@vfighter said:

Can you tell me how many of PS4's AAAE/AAAAE games are on PSNow?

Can you tell me how many of Xbox One's AAAE/AAAAE games are on Games Pass?

Oopse....yeah, I went there.