Xbox Scarlet info leak

  • 124 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
Avatar image for Ant_17
#1 Posted by Ant_17 (12565 posts) -

All stolen from resetera.

Here are some new information about Microsoft's next gen approach coming from Brad Sams (well reputed MS journalist that knows a lot of MS insiders):

The Xbox Scarlett family of devices will feature 2 devices: one classic console (like the Xbox One X for example) and a cloud gaming box.

First, Microsoft is building a traditional console that you would expect from the Xbox brand. I think it’s important to point this out so that those who prefer to have all their hardware locally, will have an option with the next generation Xbox.

As for specs for this device, that’s still not known at this time as it’s the early days of development for that piece of hardware. But what I am starting to hear more about is the second device, a streaming box that is designed to work with the company’s upcoming game streaming platform.

Scarlett Cloud as one person called it, is the game streaming service that we have all been envisioning ever since Microsoft showed off a demo game streaming at its all-employee meeting back in 2013. But this time, Microsoft has a path to bring it to market.

The second ‘console’ that the company is working on is a lower-powered device that is currently planned to ship with the next generation device that is designed for game-streaming. But the catch here is that Microsoft thinks it has figured out how to handle the latency sensitive aspects of gaming.

The cloud console will have a limited amount of compute locally for specific tasks like controller input, image processing, and importantly, collision detection. The downside of this is that it since more hardware is needed locally, it will raise the price of the streaming box but it will still cost significantly less than what we are accustomed to paying for a new-generation console which should help expand the platform’s reach.

Although their cloud gaming technology advancements can let them release the Xbox Scarlett Cloud sooner, Brad thinks that both devices will launch at the same time (2020).

The Cloud Box will cost around 99-125$, it'll feature a hard drive that will deal with all the collisions and input informations in order to reduce latency, MS really thinks that they have it figured out with that hard drive collecting those infos.

The cloud version of Scarlett is further along in the development cycle than the traditional console that will also be released in 2020. This device does make me wonder if it has any relationship to the Xbox Hobart streaming device that was nearly released two years ago but was canceled late in the development cycle.

All "Scarlett" (next gen games) will run both on the "Cloud Box" as well as on the Scarlett Console.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5s725FjRH0

When it comes to games, all Scarlett games will run on all Scarlett devices. Meaning, both consoles will be first-class citizens and there is not expected to be an awkward ‘this game only runs on the non-cloud Scarlett’.

https://www.thurrott.com/xbox/163896/details-microsofts-xbox-scarlett-game-streaming-service

Avatar image for hrt_rulz01
#2 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (19001 posts) -

Sounds good... having more options is always a good thing.

Avatar image for Archangel3371
#3 Edited by Archangel3371 (28170 posts) -

That is what I was expecting from them when they mentioned next gen consoles at their E3 conference. It’s always nice to have more options available to those who want it. Personally I will always go for the full-fledged system that has the ability to play physical copies of games natively no matter how flawless the capabilities for streaming games becomes.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#4 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4762 posts) -

Sounds like two consoles I don't need since they're going all in on streaming. More power to 'em though.

Avatar image for quadknight
#5 Posted by QuadKnight (12916 posts) -

Let the leaks and rumors begin!

😂 I think it's sad we're already getting next-gen Xbox rumors/leaks when the current FlopboneX isn't even a year old yet. What a flop!

Avatar image for k--m--k
#6 Edited by k--m--k (2794 posts) -

Streaming eh? then i guess they will kill any support they had in Middle East, Eastern europe, and Asia.

Avatar image for dagubot
#7 Posted by dagubot (1344 posts) -

Streaming? Yuck...

Avatar image for recloud
#8 Edited by ReCloud (4418 posts) -

Like I said: both options will be available, streaming will not be the only option we'll ever have, but then some fanboys were claiming that this would happen, yeah sure...

Avatar image for resevl4rlz
#9 Posted by resevl4rlz (3848 posts) -

hope people have reliable internet for the streaming

Avatar image for CRUSHER88
#10 Posted by CRUSHER88 (2037 posts) -

@dagubot: Pretty much how I feel. However, if traditional consoles will also exist, then I'm okay with it. This whole streaming nonsense is clearly trying to target a much wider audience overall. I'm just not part of that target audience.

Avatar image for tgob89
#11 Edited by tgob89 (2153 posts) -

The most important thing for current xbox fans to take away from this report, fans who how have been preaching or believe past MS PR holds true to day:

All "Scarlett" (next gen games) will run both on the "Cloud Box" as well as on the Scarlett Console.
When it comes to games, all Scarlett games will run on all Scarlett devices. Meaning, both consoles will be first-class citizens and there is not expected to be an awkward ‘this game only runs on the non-cloud Scarlett’.

This can't be understated. ****

May be disappointing news for recent Xbox One X owners if they were expecting to play next gen games with current gen hardware who have been preaching the "forward compatibility" PR recently.

I told Lems MS discarded their "generations are dead" stance once it was clear Sony had no intention of adopting the forward compatibility nonsense stance and were going forward with generations but did they listen, nope! Well this is further confirmation.

You live and you learn Lems

Avatar image for recloud
#12 Posted by ReCloud (4418 posts) -

@tgob89: oh, now this thread will explode.

Avatar image for j2zon2591
#13 Posted by j2zon2591 (3571 posts) -

I hope there's a very cheap streaming subscription but I hope they don't kill rental yet.

Avatar image for Ant_17
#14 Posted by Ant_17 (12565 posts) -

@resevl4rlz said:

hope people have reliable internet for the streaming

We will find out when RE7 comes to the Switch.

Avatar image for daredevils2k
#15 Edited by Daredevils2k (2066 posts) -

@quadknight said:

Let the leaks and rumors begin!

😂 I think it's sad we're already getting next-gen Xbox rumors/leaks when the current FlopboneX isn't even a year old yet. What a flop!

Yah that is pretty sad :( what's also sad is people spent 500.00 for the most power flop ever created, just to play PUBG at 12 FPS, but the way I look at it is, If lemmings were smart enough, they would of skipped out shelling 500.00 for a box that is only going to last for 2 years lol.

Avatar image for gamecubepad
#16 Posted by gamecubepad (7926 posts) -

Why make people buy a new box? Just launch it for the Xbox One and call it a day. Right?

Avatar image for Archangel3371
#17 Posted by Archangel3371 (28170 posts) -

Also I don’t think that it’s bad for those who got an Xbox One X. First of all these new systems are still probably two years and a couple of months away. Secondly it’s not like you have to run out and get the new systems right away especially if Microsoft can make it so that it is capable of being forward compatible. Thirdly I don’t see why the Xbox One X couldn’t be made capable of being able to play games via streaming them.

Avatar image for tgob89
#18 Edited by tgob89 (2153 posts) -

@daredevils2k said:
@quadknight said:

Let the leaks and rumors begin!

😂 I think it's sad we're already getting next-gen Xbox rumors/leaks when the current FlopboneX isn't even a year old yet. What a flop!

Yah that is pretty sad :( what's also sad is people spent 500.00 for the most power flop ever created, just to play PUBG at 12 FPS, but the way I look at it is, If lemmings were smart enough, they would of skipped out shelling 500.00 for a box that is only going to last for 2 years lol.

And to top it off...

All "Scarlett" (next gen games) will run both on the "Cloud Box" as well as on the Scarlett Console.
When it comes to games, all Scarlettgames will run on all Scarlett devices. Meaning, both consoles will be first-class citizens and there is not expected to be an awkward ‘this game only runs on the non-cloud Scarlett’.
The cloud version of Scarlett is further along in the development cycle than the traditional console that will also be released in 2020. .

Looks like M$ plans to leave them all by the way side with their recently purchased $500 Xs after less than 3 years on the market.

Avatar image for BassMan
#19 Posted by BassMan (10393 posts) -

PC and Game Pass is all I need.

Avatar image for nishanth12
#20 Posted by nishanth12 (637 posts) -

@BassMan: PC is all everyone needs. We don't need more subscriptions. Thx

Avatar image for Random_Matt
#21 Posted by Random_Matt (4254 posts) -

You know the streaming box will be held back right? Think about it.

Avatar image for tgob89
#22 Posted by tgob89 (2153 posts) -

@Archangel3371 said:

Also I don’t think that it’s bad for those who got an Xbox One X. First of all these new systems are still probably two years and a couple of months away. Secondly it’s not like you have to run out and get the new systems right away especially if Microsoft can make it so that it is capable of being forward compatible. Thirdly I don’t see why the Xbox One X couldn’t be made capable of being able to play games via streaming them.

If MS already has that technology built in the X they could...the question is do they. Also do they care enough about the "ONE" brand name to even make that a priority.

Look at it this way, if what you're saying is true...why would they need to make any new boxes at all, just announce that the X will be going forward as then next gen device and you have the option of streaming next gen content.

Avatar image for ni6htmare01
#23 Posted by ni6htmare01 (3785 posts) -

@k--m--k said:

Streaming eh? then i guess they will kill any support they had in Middle East, Eastern europe, and Asia.

They are getting kill in those market anyway.. So I guess not much to loose!

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
#24 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (10060 posts) -

@gamecubepad said:

Why make people buy a new box? Just launch it for the Xbox One and call it a day. Right?

Making a new box makes sense. $99-$125 is a pretty competitive price, especially if it's going to play next gen games. It totally makes sense from MS's standpoint because they're all about maximizing revenue per user. This definitely lowers the cost of entirely, which has always been an issue for console makers.

My concern, will this increase the price of XBL, and how well can this actually penetrate the US, and global markets? Imo, streaming isn't at a good point even in the US to fully support cloud gaming. Also, you have to bring up the fact that net neutrality has been repealed.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#25 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4762 posts) -
@daredevils2k said:
@quadknight said:

Let the leaks and rumors begin!

😂 I think it's sad we're already getting next-gen Xbox rumors/leaks when the current FlopboneX isn't even a year old yet. What a flop!

Yah that is pretty sad :( what's also sad is people spent 500.00 for the most power flop ever created, just to play PUBG at 12 FPS, but the way I look at it is, If lemmings were smart enough, they would of skipped out shelling 500.00 for a box that is only going to last for 2 years lol.

Xbox is pretty much going the phone model now... except, it's easier to get phones on subscription plans. We're about to find out who all the true addicts of Xbox are when they invest in these consoles.

Avatar image for Ant_17
#26 Posted by Ant_17 (12565 posts) -

@Nonstop-Madness said:
@gamecubepad said:

Why make people buy a new box? Just launch it for the Xbox One and call it a day. Right?

Making a new box makes sense. $99-$125 is a pretty competitive price, especially if it's going to play next gen games. It totally makes sense from MS's standpoint because they're all about maximizing revenue per user. This definitely lowers the cost of entirely, which has always been an issue for console makers.

My concern, will this increase the price of XBL, and how well can this actually penetrate the US, and global markets? Imo, streaming isn't at a good point even in the US to fully support cloud gaming. Also, you have to bring up the fact that net neutrality has been repealed.

Welcome back, Xbox bronse and silver!!!

Avatar image for ellos
#27 Edited by ellos (2045 posts) -

Cool both options is the way to go. Can also see options to turn your xboxes to streaming box unless there is a specific hardware capability that is required. The current devices may not be powerful enough to run scarlet games natively but they can stream the games. Hard drive check, computation capabilities from cpu and or gpu check. They may though kill them off to sell the streaming boxes, gotta make money lol. Streaming is your forward compatibility people. They got the hardcore "ma latency hurt ma input" covered with the native hardware. MS is crazy ready to dominate the future.

Avatar image for BassMan
#28 Edited by BassMan (10393 posts) -

@nishanth12 said:

@BassMan: PC is all everyone needs. We don't need more subscriptions. Thx

You can still buy the games individually on PC if you want. However, the Game Pass saves you money if you buy multiple MS games per year. Also, you can buy 6 month Game Pass subscription codes on sale for 50% off. So, it is very cheap.

Avatar image for KungfuKitten
#29 Edited by KungfuKitten (26663 posts) -

This makes sense. They go from Xbox -> Xbox 360 -> Xbox One -> Xbox One S -> Xbox One X -> Xbox S

That way, the Xbox One is newer than the Xbox, and the Xbox S is newer than the Xbox One S. That way you can assure the customer that whatever they first assume is wrong.

Seriously though. I am ready for new consoles IF the new consoles actually feel new.

Avatar image for SakusEnvoy
#30 Posted by SakusEnvoy (4764 posts) -

@Archangel3371: As someone who owns both an Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, I am fine with this and did not expect the X to last beyond a few years. I understood the X was Microsoft’s version of the Pro, and I’m happy to play games like RDR in 4K, one of my favorite games of all time - the main reason I bought it, plus I’m just a collector by nature.

That said, I do find it hilarious in retrospect how Phil Spencer claimed the PS4 Pro was an Xbox One S competitor, and not an X competitor. He claimed the X was in a different league than the Pro. However, as time goes on, Sony’s decision to launch a 4.2 teraflop system for $399 a year earlier has clearly been vindicated. Sony’s console was the right system, released at the right time, at the correct price point. It underwhelmed in terms of 4K, but now side by side with the X the differences have proven to not be game-changing. Both consoles operate mainly in 30FPS still, and a surprising number of X games use Pro-like checkerboarding techniques.

Well, what’s done is done, hopefully MS learns from this gen and does a better job creating well balanced systems at the right price points in 2020. To say nothing of exclusives.

Avatar image for needhealing
#31 Posted by Needhealing (2042 posts) -

To be honest, I'm with M$ on this one. Very smart move. The future is cloud, the question is are consumers ready for it next gen? By giving 2 options it is brilliant. Everyone knows my hate for M$ this gen, but great move.

Avatar image for Archangel3371
#32 Posted by Archangel3371 (28170 posts) -

@tgob89: The idea of streaming games is to be able to play high quality games on any display so all they need to do is make an app for the Xbox One X to stream games through it. The reason why they would make more systems like a next gen system to play games natively is for a more powerful system to play more demanding games natively because they know that streaming games only isn’t a viable option right now. The reason for a streaming only box is for those who just want to do that and may not want to buy an Xbox One X to do so.

Xbox One X - a system to play games with lower settings and can stream games

Scarlett System - play games at the highest settings and can stream games

Scarlett streaming box - a cheap box that only streams games

This is what I think they are going for if these rumours are to be believed.

Avatar image for pdogg93
#33 Posted by pdogg93 (1614 posts) -

This will fail. Everyone is still bottlenecked by their internet service providers. Additionally the rental games as a service model will dissuade developers from dropping huge effort into creating masterpieces. We’ll see more micro transactions and unfinished games as a result. Sony gonna take over next gen as well.

Avatar image for hrt_rulz01
#34 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (19001 posts) -

@pdogg93: Lol wouldn't get your hopes up on that one... there are signs that good ol' arrogant Sony is rearing its ugly head, and it never ends well for them. But we'll see.

Avatar image for lamprey263
#35 Posted by lamprey263 (36146 posts) -

Streaming gaming needs to be a feature they promote through the consoles cycle and not something they debut the console with, it can backfire and hurt the launch. They need to stick to a more traditional console aproach when selling their next system, I'd of thought they'd of learned their lesson with the X1X. Focus on building a monster machine first.

Avatar image for Ant_17
#36 Edited by Ant_17 (12565 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01 said:

@pdogg93: Lol wouldn't get your hopes up on that one... there are signs that good ol' arrogant Sony is rearing its ugly head, and it never ends well for them. But we'll see.

So i see lems are hoping Sony to do another PS3 so they can win.

Shows how much faith they have in the Bone to play fair.

Avatar image for hrt_rulz01
#37 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (19001 posts) -

@Ant_17: Omfg... Did I say I'm hoping Sony does another PS3? Unlike you cows, I don't hope any gaming product fails.

Geez some of you take this SW thing so seriously. My goodness. Give it a rest for 5 minutes.

Avatar image for Ant_17
#38 Posted by Ant_17 (12565 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01 said:

@Ant_17: Omfg... Did I say I'm hoping Sony does another PS3? Unlike you cows, I don't hope any gaming product fails.

Geez some of you take this SW thing so seriously. My goodness.

You are the one saying Sony looks like it's going that way.

Avatar image for Pedro
#39 Posted by Pedro (35009 posts) -

@Ant_17 said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

@pdogg93: Lol wouldn't get your hopes up on that one... there are signs that good ol' arrogant Sony is rearing its ugly head, and it never ends well for them. But we'll see.

So i see lems are hoping Sony to do another PS3 so they can win.

Shows how much faith they have in the Bone to play fair.

LMAO. Anyone who believe they "win" when Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft dominates at anytime is a fool.

Avatar image for ellos
#40 Edited by ellos (2045 posts) -
@lamprey263 said:

Streaming gaming needs to be a feature they promote through the consoles cycle and not something they debut the console with, it can backfire and hurt the launch. They need to stick to a more traditional console aproach when selling their next system, I'd of thought they'd of learned their lesson with the X1X. Focus on building a monster machine first.

They are building exactly what your describing in addition to offering streaming. Something that may not be as good as native when it comes to input but just as strong or even more from the source. Something cheaper at launch for those that don't care where the state of streaming is. It also sounds like its going to be better than anything that is currently offered right now. That might just be good enough for the next gen. As long as they got the traditional powerfull hardware covered then why not release this at the same time. I mean right now for convenience sake people want to crossplay with under power Switch and mobile devices. This all out approach covers classic gaming and where gaming is headed. I think this time MS is on the right path. The timing is correct.

Avatar image for hrt_rulz01
#41 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (19001 posts) -

@Ant_17: Because in my opinion it does look that way... and high profile PS fanboys like Colin Moriarty are saying the same thing.

Doesn't mean I'm hoping they fail. Geez.

Avatar image for joshrmeyer
#42 Posted by JoshRMeyer (10456 posts) -

"Like I said: both options will be available, streaming will not be the only option we'll ever have, but then some fanboys were claiming that this would happen, yeah sure..."

So you and Ant17 are the same person?

Avatar image for Ant_17
#43 Posted by Ant_17 (12565 posts) -

@joshrmeyer said:

"Like I said: both options will be available, streaming will not be the only option we'll ever have, but then some fanboys were claiming that this would happen, yeah sure..."

So you and Ant17 are the same person?

Am i that stupid?

Avatar image for quadknight
#44 Edited by QuadKnight (12916 posts) -
@Ant_17 said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

@pdogg93: Lol wouldn't get your hopes up on that one... there are signs that good ol' arrogant Sony is rearing its ugly head, and it never ends well for them. But we'll see.

So i see lems are hoping Sony to do another PS3 so they can win.

Shows how much faith they have in the Bone to play fair.

Not even MS has faith in their brand lol.

Their only hope is Sony pulls a PS3, and even last gen when Sony tried every way to lose they still came back from the brink and beat MS. The next Xbox has a snowball's chance in hell of beating the PS5. Sony right now is a completely different company from what they were in 2006, and despite lems claiming "arrogant Sony" is back reality shows otherwise. They are so far ahead of the competition and they are still pumping out games like they are behind, that's not arrogance, that's dedication.

And despite what silly lems will have you believe on SW overall customer satisfaction with the PS4 is sky high, none of the forum rat issues like crossplay or PSN name change matter at all to most gamers out there especially Sony's customers. Sony knows what their customers want this gen and they are laser focused on delivering, and that's why they are so far ahead of the competition.

PS: This streaming option is dead in the water in the MiddleEast, Asia, and Eastern Europe. I guess MS feels they don't need those markets despite reality saying otherwise.

Avatar image for joshrmeyer
#45 Edited by JoshRMeyer (10456 posts) -

@Ant_17: The "Like I said" thing... Maybe you were referring to a different thread.

Edit: I mean the other guy.

Avatar image for joshrmeyer
#46 Posted by JoshRMeyer (10456 posts) -

Streaming is now cool to Lems, even if you have to by another box to do it. The requirements for 720p streaming is already high enough... I can't imagine what the requirements for 4k streaming will be.

Avatar image for Ant_17
#47 Posted by Ant_17 (12565 posts) -

@joshrmeyer said:

@Ant_17: The "Like I said" thing... Maybe you were referring to a different thread.

Edit: I mean the other guy.

Dude, i say i stole it all from resetera.

Avatar image for davillain-
#48 Posted by DaVillain- (36957 posts) -

The fact MS is still gonna support Windows 10 and bring there games to PC, still no point in buying a next-gen Xbox if all their gonna do is just port MS exclusive games to PC.

But let's be serious, the reason why Xbox One isn't doing all that great to begin with is lack of variety exclusive games and if they don't get killer app exclusive games for next-gen Xbox console, it sure won't take off. Next-gen Xbox Scarlet has to build it's 1st party portfolio practically from scratch. Aside from the big three, none of the exclusives MS tried this gen worked out and relying too much on Halo, Gears, and Forza. So their new studios have to start fresh with new franchises or new iterations of classics like Fable. Sony already has it's portfolio established with new franchises introduced this generation to add to it's classic lineup. MS has a long way to go to catch up to that. And with 3rd party being available everywhere, there will be no relying on 3rd party exclusives to differentiate your console. 1st party is going to have to do that and I for hope MS do well with 1st party into next-gen!

Avatar image for gamecubepad
#49 Edited by gamecubepad (7926 posts) -

@Nonstop-Madness said:

My concern, will this increase the price of XBL, and how well can this actually penetrate the US, and global markets? Imo, streaming isn't at a good point even in the US to fully support cloud gaming.

How will they package this is a good question. I'd assume they would have a bundle with Live Gold, Game Pass, and Stream all in a single package at $20/month over a year like a cell phone contract, or you pay separate and monthly and it costs $10/month more.

Avatar image for daniel_su123
#50 Posted by Daniel_Su123 (1069 posts) -
@davillain- said:

The fact MS is still gonna support Windows 10 and bring there games to PC, still no point in buying a next-gen Xbox if all their gonna do is just port MS exclusive games to PC.

But let's be serious, the reason why Xbox One isn't doing all that great to begin with is lack of variety exclusive games and if they don't get killer app exclusive games for next-gen Xbox console, it sure won't take off. Next-gen Xbox Scarlet has to build it's 1st party portfolio practically from scratch. Aside from the big three, none of the exclusives MS tried this gen worked out and relying too much on Halo, Gears, and Forza. So their new studios have to start fresh with new franchises or new iterations of classics like Fable. Sony already has it's portfolio established with new franchises introduced this generation to add to it's classic lineup. MS has a long way to go to catch up to that. And with 3rd party being available everywhere, there will be no relying on 3rd party exclusives to differentiate your console. 1st party is going to have to do that and I for hope MS do well with 1st party into next-gen!

There's no point in having an exclusive to hardware, especially when Streaming and services like Game Pass is becoming a thing.

Lets be clear, what this really enforces is that Sony simply can't compete against companies like MS, Google or Amazon, because they don't have the right amount of infrastructure to get it working. Even if they do it's likely going to be much more expensive than say Microsoft's solution.