Xbox One UI - Snap feature crashing?

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By danabo
Member since 2003 • 2438 Posts

Xbox One dashboard not working? O rly.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By danabo

Well, I think it looks pretty good.

EDIT: It also seems the rumours of the OS not working were unfounded.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4  Edited By Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

Looks decent (not huge into titles everywhere for everything) but I've never understood snapping things. I've always felt like it's only useful in hand full of situations that involve multimedia. I rather just be able to switch between things really fast. I'd probably only use the pins.

I'm not quite sure how the PS4 handles multitasking but its somewhat similar to the Xbox One. The traditional XMB layout is still there but the sub-menu with the panels represent games/apps. Pretty sure it's been confirmed that you can customize what's displayed as well.

Big_Red_Button

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Big_Red_Button
Member since 2005 • 6094 Posts

Hey, you know how you paid for this system?

And then you pay a monthly fee to use it online?

Well, that's not enough. We're putting ads prominently in the interface, just because we hate you.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

@Nengo_Flow said:

Haha perfect!

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By danabo

@Nonstop-Madness said:

Looks decent (not huge into titles everywhere for everything) but I've never understood snapping things. I've always felt like it's only useful in hand full of situations that involve multimedia. I rather just be able to switch between things really fast. I'd probably only use the pins.

I'm not quite sure how the PS4 handles multitasking but its somewhat similar to the Xbox One. The traditional XMB layout is still there but the sub-menu with the panels represent games/apps. Pretty sure it's been confirmed that you can customize what's displayed as well.

It's nothing like this. You can suspend a game. Go back to dash and load an app. Which is not the same as being able to "snap". This is very well done, and I wasn't expecting it to work. Neither were many here judging by the posts about rumours of the OS not functioning, and the comments on the video MS released.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#8 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

aweeee yea look at that multitasking and speed

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 danabo

@k2theswiss said:

aweeee yea look at that multitasking and speed

I'm shocked at how well it works.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@Nengo_Flow said:

Best reply you could give to this really. I feel very sorry for any sad sap that picks their console based on the UI.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50548 Posts

Only thing I dislike is the damn green.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#12 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

@Big_Red_Button said:

Hey, you know how you paid for this system?

And then you pay a monthly fee to use it online?

Well, that's not enough. We're putting ads prominently in the interface, just because we hate you.

YAWN. the ad crying again... the ads on 360 are always on right corner never forced to watch or listen to, and most of them is always about video games, IF you go over to the movie tab then it's pretty much always movies and same with the music section.

ad'sare very useful to every single consumer, with out them you would most likely never know a product existing.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

Reminds me of Windows 8.

Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nonstop-Madness

@danabo said:

@Nonstop-Madness said:

It's nothing like this. You can suspend a game. Go back to dash and load an app. Which is not the same as being able to "snap". This is very well done, and I wasn't expecting it to work. Neither were many here judging by the posts about rumours of the OS not functioning, and the comments on the video MS released.

Snapping is more traditional multitasking but both consoles support app switching ala mobile devices. Aside from the snapping, both handle multitasking about the same. Ex. Both consoles support pinning and suspending apps/games in the main menu. Both can also switch between recent apps without going into the menu (not sure what the limitations are). All I know about the PS4 is that double tapping the PS button allows you to switch between apps (i guess only two at a time?) without going to the main menu.

Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Nonstop-Madness
@Chutebox said:

You can change the color of the titles but not the background.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By danabo

@Nonstop-Madness said:

Snapping is more traditional multitasking but both consoles support app switching ala mobile devices. Aside from the snapping, both handle multitasking about the same. Ex. Both consoles support pinning and suspending apps/games in the main menu. Both can also switch between recent apps without going into the menu (not sure what the limitations are). All I know about the PS4 is that double tapping the PS button allows you to switch between apps (i guess only two at a time?) without going to the main menu.

Which is nothing like this, if you take the time to watch the videos. Colour me impressed.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50548 Posts

@Nonstop-Madness said:
@Chutebox said:

Only thing that is "ugly" green is the tiles, right?

ManInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ManInFlames
Member since 2013 • 434 Posts

Looks the same as the 360

Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Nonstop-Madness

@Chutebox said:

@Nonstop-Madness said:
@Chutebox said:

Only thing that is "ugly" green is the tiles, right?

No but not sure if an apps color scheme can be changed.

Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Nonstop-Madness

@danabo said:

@Nonstop-Madness said:

Which is nothing like this, if you take the time to watch the videos. Colour me impressed.

Forget about snapping for a second. I'm simply giving my perspective on multitasking in general. This isn't the Xbox One forums so I'm obviously going to compare both consoles multitasking abilities.

I'll say it again .... aside from snapping, multitasking/app switching/suspending and resuming/whatever you want to call it is pretty similar.

EDIT seeing that the OP was amended - crashing probably depends on whats snapped and what's going on within the snapped app/game. I've had some snapped apps crash on me in Windows 8. I honestly don't think the OS is completely broken but it's a feature that's never been implemented on consoles so they'll probably be some bugs.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Looks awful. Even worse than the 360s current dashboard somehow.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 danabo

@Nonstop-Madness said:

Forget about snapping for a second. I'm simply giving my perspective on multitasking in general. This isn't the Xbox One forums so I'm obviously going to compare both consoles multitasking abilities.

I'll say it again .... aside from snapping, multitasking/app switching/suspending and resuming/whatever you want to call it is pretty similar.

Aside from all the things that make it different, yes, it's pretty similar.

UNcartMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By UNcartMe
Member since 2011 • 725 Posts

Sony and Microsoft have to learn from this past generation. Sony should learn on how to have an operational in-game menu system and M$ needs to learn not to mess with something that isn't broken. After all, people buy systems for their games, not UI features. Remember the PS2 UI? Yea I rest my case.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 danabo

@UNcartMe said:

Sony and Microsoft have to learn from this past generation. Sony should learn on how to have an operational in-game menu system and M$ needs to learn not to mess with something that isn't broken. After all, people buy systems for their games, not UI features. Remember the PS2 UI? Yea I rest my case.

I was happy with my Nokia 3310 in 2000. Not so sure I would want it now.

UNcartMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By UNcartMe

@danabo said:

@UNcartMe said:

Point is, the majority of gamers aren't UI whores. They just want games!

Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Nonstop-Madness

@UNcartMe said:

The PS2 UI was pretty bare bone but tons of stuff changed since 2000. The PS2 was pre iPod era; we still lived in a world of dedicated multimedia devices. People expect a much more fleshed out UI and feature set these days.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By danabo

@UNcartMe said:

@danabo said:

@UNcartMe said:

The majority of people only want to make calls on their phones.

UNcartMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 UNcartMe

@danabo said:

@UNcartMe said:

@danabo said:

@UNcartMe said:

I disagree. That's one of the reasons why XB1 isn't going to be as successful as it would if it would have just focused on games. Cell phones are a necessity this day and age. You can do anything from online banking to Tweeting. I'm sure some people will like the XB1 features, but the business model M$ uses doesn't help since it has a pay wall.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 danabo

@UNcartMe said:

@danabo said:

@UNcartMe said:

@danabo said:

@UNcartMe said:

I disagree. That's one of the reasons why XB1 isn't going to be as successful as it would if it would have just focused on games. Cell phones are a necessity this day and age. You can do anything from online banking to Tweeting. I'm sure some people will like the XB1 features, but the business model M$ uses doesn't help since it has a pay wall.

That mobile phone you use has a paywall.

UNcartMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 UNcartMe

@danabo said:

@UNcartMe said:

@danabo said:

@UNcartMe said:

@danabo said:

@UNcartMe said:

But, the majority of smartphone users find them essential. Not just for phone calls, but for everyday tasks.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12060 Posts

@Chutebox said:

If its anything like the tiles on their phone and Surface you can change the colors for backgrounds, and tiles.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12181 Posts

Rumors TRCHBO!

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 danabo

@UNcartMe said:

@danabo said:

@UNcartMe said:

@danabo said:

But, the majority of smartphone users find them essential. Not just for phone calls, but for everyday tasks.

But they're not essential features. And they're behind a paywall, with data caps and contracts.

Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Nonstop-Madness

@kuu2 said:

@Chutebox said:

If its anything like the tiles on their phone and Surface you can change the colors for backgrounds, and tiles.

You can change the color of the tiles but not the background. I'm also not sure if an apps color scheme can be changed; the green is present in some apps (ex. Friends App).

UNcartMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 UNcartMe

@danabo said:

@UNcartMe said:

@danabo said:

@UNcartMe said:

@danabo said:

But they're not essential features. And they're behind a paywall, with data caps and contracts.

Not really, there are many different service providers. I have Cricket which is unlimited everything for only $40 a month.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 danabo

@UNcartMe said:

@danabo said:

@UNcartMe said:

@danabo said:

@UNcartMe said:

@danabo said:

Not really, there are many different service providers. I have Cricket which is unlimited everything for only $40 a month.

XBL/PS+ in the states is $50 for 12 months? And you're paying $480 for 12 months. Hmm. Not sure why you would complain about such a paltry amount for access to these features.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12060 Posts

@Nonstop-Madness said:

@kuu2 said:

@Chutebox said:

You can change the color of the tiles but not the background. I'm also not sure if an apps color scheme can be changed; the green is present in some apps (ex. Friends App).

That would go against what MSoft has done in the past actually having themes for the background on the 36o. We will see though.

UNcartMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By UNcartMe

@danabo said:

@UNcartMe said:

@danabo said:

@UNcartMe said:

@danabo said:

@UNcartMe said:

@danabo said:

XBL/PS+ in the states is $50 for 12 months? And you're paying $480 for 12 months. Hmm. Not sure why you would complain about such a paltry amount for access to these features.

Whenever I can use my XB1 or PS4 to make phone calls, access the internet, and send texts on the go while still being small enough to fit in my pocket, then I'll agree with you.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 danabo

@kuu2 said:

@Nonstop-Madness said:

@kuu2 said:

@Chutebox said:

That would go against what MSoft has done in the past actually having themes for the background on the 36o. We will see though.

PS3 had custom backgrounds, CD playback., DLNA, Linux support and so on. PS4 doesn't, but we'll see.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 danabo

@UNcartMe said:

@danabo said:

@UNcartMe said:

@danabo said:

@UNcartMe said:

@danabo said:

@UNcartMe said:

@danabo said:

Whenever I can use my XB1 or PS4 to make phone calls, access the internet, and send texts on the go while still being small enough to fit in my pocket, then I'll agree with you.

You can do all that with Xbox One, possibly on the go with Surface.

UNcartMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 UNcartMe

@danabo said:

@kuu2 said:

@Nonstop-Madness said:

@kuu2 said:

@Chutebox said:

PS3 had custom backgrounds, CD playback., DLNA, Linux support and so on. PS4 doesn't, but we'll see.

You know it's not the same. You still need a nother device.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By danabo

@UNcartMe said:

You know it's not the same. You still need a nother device.

I know what you meant to quote, so I'll reply.

I'd like to use those 'essential' features on my TV.

A $480 a year paywall vs a $50 a year paywall is quite the difference, too.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

If i get an xbone, I'm booting straight from disk and avoiding that nonsense and no way in hell would I run my cable through the box.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 danabo

@Heil68 said:

If i get an xbone, I'm booting straight from disk and avoiding that nonsense and no way in hell would I run my cable through the box.

Snapping youtube/last.fm/using Skype and running a PS4 through HDMI-in sounds good to me.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Heil68

@danabo said:

@Heil68 said:

Snapping youtube/last.fm/using Skype and running a PS4 through HDMI-in sounds good to me.

I'd go through my receiver like all my other consoles and program my Logitech remote to handle it.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 danabo

@Heil68 said:

@danabo said:

@Heil68 said:

I'd go through my receiver like all my other consoles and program my Logitech remote to handle it.

What will you use the HDMI-in for?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Heil68

@danabo said:

@Heil68 said:

@danabo said:

@Heil68 said:

Nothing.I have 4 HDMI's on my TV and only 1 is being used by my receiver which has 4 HMDI's in and 1 out of its own. I'll run out of room on my entertainment stand before I ever run out of HDMI connections.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By danabo

@Heil68 said:

@danabo said:

@Heil68 said:

@danabo said:

@Heil68 said:

Nothing.I have 4 HDMI's on my TV and only 1 is being used by my receiver which has 4 HMDI's in and 1 out of its own. I'll run out of room on my entertainment stand before I ever run out of HDMI connections.

Fair enough.

I just don't see the logic in not using it, it's there, and you'll have Kinect for switching between apps and another console/device. It'll save on electricity, I suppose.

EDIT: Even if I only use it once, the idea of saying "Xbox, play PS4" amuses me.

Opus_Rea-333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Opus_Rea-333
Member since 2013 • 1238 Posts

that green is fkn good looking ! bet the final version = much faster

Multipass35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#50  Edited By Multipass35
Member since 2013 • 312 Posts

Not only is Xbox One UI a decade ahead of the PS4's UI. But Xbox live is still miles ahead as well.