Xbox One redesigns dashboard to mimic Sony, and drops Cortana feature

  • 66 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for whatafailure
WhatAFailure

443

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 WhatAFailure
Member since 2017 • 443 Posts

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/24/20726367/microsoft-xbox-one-dashboard-home-design-update-cortana-removal

Microsoft is once again tweaking its Xbox One dashboard design and removing the Cortana digital assistant. The software maker has started experimenting with what it describes as a more “streamlined user interface” for the home section of the Xbox One dashboard. This is the area you immediately see when you power on an Xbox One console. The new design includes quicker access to Xbox Game Pass titles, Microsoft’s Mixer service, Xbox Community feature, and the Microsoft Store.

Alongside this latest home update, Microsoft is also removing Cortana from the Xbox One. Microsoft says it’s moving to cloud-based assistants, meaning “you can no longer talk to Cortana via your headset.” You’ll still be able to power on an Xbox One through the Xbox Skill for Cortana on iOS, Android, or Windows, just like the existing Alexa integration.

Funny to see Lemmings make fun of Sony's XMB design, but then today they are loving the new Xbox One redesign.

INTERESTING

Avatar image for Archangel3371
Archangel3371

28850

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 28850 Posts

Don’t really have any issues with the current one myself but this update looks and sounds pretty good. I’m looking forward to checking it out when it launches this fall.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

35802

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 64

User Lists: 0

#3 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 35802 Posts

You obviously have not used the Xbox interface if you think its similar to the PS4.

Avatar image for MonsieurX
MonsieurX

39210

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39210 Posts

Who is "they"? There's 2 comments on this thread about the news

@whatafailure said:
Funny to see Lemmings make fun of Sony's XMB design, but then today they are loving the new Xbox One redesign.

INTERESTING

Avatar image for VERTIGO47
VERTIGO47

7110

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5 VERTIGO47  Online
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Who is "they"? There's 2 comments on this thread about the news

@whatafailure said:
Funny to see Lemmings make fun of Sony's XMB design, but then today they are loving the new Xbox One redesign.

INTERESTING

"They" are simply voices in his head that he considers "lemmings", living rent free, 24/7.

Hence, why cows talk about Xbox 24/7.

Avatar image for hrt_rulz01
hrt_rulz01

19435

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 19435 Posts

OP's username pretty much sums up this thread...

Avatar image for lundy86_4
lundy86_4

54154

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#7 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 54154 Posts

The PS4 UI is a shit show, so if MS follows that same pattern... Jeez...

Avatar image for ProtossRushX
ProtossRushX

5709

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#8 ProtossRushX
Member since 2007 • 5709 Posts

WHAT A FUCKING COPY CAT

DO YOUR OWN FUCKING THING MICROSOFT STAY OFF SONY's STUFF

YOU CANT BUILD ONE BETTER SO YOU COPY IS THAT IT?

Avatar image for lundy86_4
lundy86_4

54154

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#9 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 54154 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

WHAT A FUCKING COPY CAT

DO YOUR OWN FUCKING THING MICROSOFT STAY OFF SONY's STUFF

YOU CANT BUILD ONE BETTER SO YOU COPY IS THAT IT?

Dude, stop.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

35802

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 64

User Lists: 0

#10 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 35802 Posts

@lundy86_4: Some people on this forum are simply damaged.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
lundy86_4

54154

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 54154 Posts

@vfighter said:

@lundy86_4: Your post is a shitshow, the ps4 UI is great, as was the ps3s.

Dude, the X1 UI has been shite on shite, but you gave a weak rebuttal.

Avatar image for rrjim1
rrjim1

1759

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#13 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1759 Posts

@vfighter said:

@lundy86_4: Your post is a shitshow, the ps4 UI is great, as was the ps3s.

The PS4 UI is great? Very good joke, best laugh I have had today!

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

35802

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 64

User Lists: 0

#14 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 35802 Posts

@vfighter said:

@lundy86_4: Your post is a shitshow, the ps4 UI is great, as was the ps3s.

The PS4 UI is just functional.

Avatar image for boxrekt
BoxRekt

2071

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#15 BoxRekt
Member since 2019 • 2071 Posts

Now if only MS copies Sony on making AAA quality games for their fans to play, we'll be able to have a more debates about the things that are meaningful to our hobby.

Other wise, yeah for the redesig... Oh wait, or is it boo for the redesign?

Forgot xbox fans said they hate the Playstation UI (among other things) so I'm not sure if this is considered good or bad.

In any case

TLHBO!

Avatar image for JustPlainLucas
JustPlainLucas

79455

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#16 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 79455 Posts

Not shedding any tears. The original Kinect assistant was never reliable. Cortana wasn't any better. As for the UI, *shrugs*

Avatar image for Ant_17
Ant_17

12935

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#17 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

The xbox trend.

Redesign the menu 50 times every gen and still being shit.

Avatar image for vfighter
VFighter

5487

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#18 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 5487 Posts

@lundy86_4: Easy to navigate and looks good, what else do you need? The X bar on the ps3 and the updated UI (not sure what they call it) on the ps4 are light years ahead of what I've seen on the 360 and my limited time on the X1.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

35802

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 64

User Lists: 0

#19 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 35802 Posts

@vfighter said:

@lundy86_4: Easy to navigate and looks good, what else do you need? The X bar on the ps3 and the updated UI (not sure what they call it) on the ps4 are light years ahead of what I've seen on the 360 and my limited time on the X1.

The X1 interface is slow but more efficient in accessing many things over the PS4 heavily nested interface once you know how to. The how to can be the main obstacle.

Avatar image for whatafailure
WhatAFailure

443

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#20 WhatAFailure
Member since 2017 • 443 Posts

@VERTIGO47 said:
@MonsieurX said:

Who is "they"? There's 2 comments on this thread about the news

@whatafailure said:
Funny to see Lemmings make fun of Sony's XMB design, but then today they are loving the new Xbox One redesign.

INTERESTING

"They" are simply voices in his head that he considers "lemmings", living rent free, 24/7.

Hence, why cows talk about Xbox 24/7.

Sorry, I should have mentioned where I got this from. From Reddit, where I am the co-President:

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/chbmo0/new_home_for_xbox_one_dashboard_for_preview_alpha/

You have to admit it's an improvement. But it seems like many Xbox One owners want that annoying "Discover" section taken out.

Avatar image for Renegade_Fury
Renegade_Fury

20725

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#21 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 20725 Posts

Good, because the xbox dashboard is a nightmare to navigate.

Avatar image for saltslasher
SaltSlasher

1372

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#22 SaltSlasher
Member since 2015 • 1372 Posts

It's reverse, all I've heard for 5 years is how lame Xbox's dashboard is. No one hates on PS4 one except myself, but they added folders so been fine with it for awhile.

Avatar image for jcrame10
jcrame10

5382

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#23 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 5382 Posts

@whatafailure: Is this real? When does it go live? Wow, that looks so much nicer and cleaner.

Avatar image for ProtossRushX
ProtossRushX

5709

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#24 ProtossRushX
Member since 2007 • 5709 Posts
@jcrame10 said:

@whatafailure: Is this real? When does it go live? Wow, that looks so much nicer and cleaner.

bro it looks like a rip off of the ps4 dash look at how its lined up just like the ps4 UI

Avatar image for jcrame10
jcrame10

5382

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#25 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 5382 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:
@jcrame10 said:

@whatafailure: Is this real? When does it go live? Wow, that looks so much nicer and cleaner.

bro it looks like a rip off of the ps4 dash look at how its lined up just like the ps4 UI

i have no problem with that. the ps4 UI is much better than the Xbox.

Avatar image for npiet1
npiet1

2632

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#26 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 2632 Posts

I've never really used the X1 dashboard unless it was turned off. I've had my pins set up since they got them. It doesn't look copied. The new xbox UI looks like it's all on one page, instead of scrolling side to side like ps4. If you want to talk about copy cats look at Nintendo UI. It's almost the same. Side to side and extra's are down the bottom instead of the top.

Avatar image for sakaixx
sakaiXx

6381

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 6381 Posts

Xbox one interfaces have received a lot of criticism from day one to now so I am glad they at least try to improve.

Avatar image for whatafailure
WhatAFailure

443

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#28 WhatAFailure
Member since 2017 • 443 Posts
@jcrame10 said:

@whatafailure: Is this real? When does it go live? Wow, that looks so much nicer and cleaner.

They mentioned this:

This should make it easier to access frequently used games on the home screen. Microsoft is testing this new home screen with Xbox Insiders in the Alpha and Alpha Skip Ahead rings, and the company is looking for feedback. Microsoft has tweaked its Xbox One dashboard multiple times since the console launched, trying to improve the often clunky user experience. There was a Fluent Design update back in 2017 and a big redesign in 2015 that preceded a new focus on speed.

I don't know what that is, but sounds like a program you need to be a part of. So right now, this dashboard is in the testing phase for select XB1 owners

Avatar image for Fuhrer_D
Fuhrer_D

957

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#29 Fuhrer_D
Member since 2011 • 957 Posts

@Renegade_Fury said:

Good, because the xbox dashboard is a nightmare to navigate.

Not really. Once you set the pins (especially into groups), you can use the home button menu to do everything, even to control individual downloads.

Not happy that they keep taking features away; Cortana(?), snap, hand gestures. I have to just assume that the upgrades they (which I do like) made were at the expense of the stripped features.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

35802

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 64

User Lists: 0

#30 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 35802 Posts

@Fuhrer_D said:

Not really. Once you set the pins (especially into groups), you can use the home button menu to do everything, even to control individual downloads.

Not happy that they keep taking features away; Cortana(?), snap, hand gestures. I have to just assume that the upgrades they (which I do like) made were at the expense of the stripped features.

Strip features for better performance I am all in. Also I like the search anywhere with Y.

Avatar image for ProtossRushX
ProtossRushX

5709

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#31 ProtossRushX
Member since 2007 • 5709 Posts

@rrjim1: bro the PS4 UI is sexy as hell its so fast and animated backgrounds omg i just fall in love with the system its like my vita i just love it

Avatar image for ronvalencia
ronvalencia

28255

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#32 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 28255 Posts

@whatafailure:

It's Windows 8 style tiled start menu.

Avatar image for X_CAPCOM_X
X_CAPCOM_X

8763

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#33 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 8763 Posts

Ps4 ui is alright. Good move MS.

Avatar image for pyro1245
pyro1245

5472

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#34  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 5472 Posts

They're both terrible.

X1 is still worse though. MS UI has gotten progressively worse over time, across the board.

Avatar image for Celsius765
Celsius765

2415

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#35 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2415 Posts

As long as it doesn't lag like xmb it'll be good

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

35802

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 64

User Lists: 0

#36 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 35802 Posts
@pyro1245 said:

They're both terrible.

X1 is still worse though. MS UI has gotten progressively worse over time, across the board.

Well this is simply not true.

Avatar image for pyro1245
pyro1245

5472

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#37 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 5472 Posts
@Pedro said:
@pyro1245 said:

They're both terrible.

X1 is still worse though. MS UI has gotten progressively worse over time, across the board.

Well this is simply not true.

Subjective.

Both PS and X1 have a bunch of ads that increase the number of button presses required to get where you want to go. Xbox UI has gotten too busy and convoluted - and laggy. I really don't like them.

Switch has the best UI of the three. A list of your games, and buttons for store and settings.

Avatar image for i_p_daily
I_P_Daily

13227

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#38 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 13227 Posts

I don't think I've ever seen a user name that so perfectly describes the person using it, well except for maybe boxgetsrekt :)

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

35802

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 64

User Lists: 0

#39 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 35802 Posts

@pyro1245 said:

Subjective.

Both PS and X1 have a bunch of ads that increase the number of button presses required to get where you want to go. Xbox UI has gotten too busy and convoluted - and laggy. I really don't like them.

Switch has the best UI of the three. A list of your games, and buttons for store and settings.

The Xbox UI has improved in performance and the games are easier to access than previous iterations. I have about 200+games and I can easily access them with a search from anywhere. The side bar was a great addition to the overall system because its faster than anything they had prior and doesn't lag.

The store still lags, the view all games still lags and settings still takes time to load.

I have the least amount of games on the Switch so accessing games are stupid easy because well there are less.

Avatar image for Epak_
Epak_

10735

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#40 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 10735 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

The PS4 UI is a shit show, so if MS follows that same pattern... Jeez...

Even the most powerful console, the X, has the laggiest OS of the three. I'm all in for the redesign.

Avatar image for pdogg93
pdogg93

1695

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#41 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1695 Posts

@Pedro: of course you’re defending the xbone UI. Why wouldn’t you?

It must be a great UI, since they’ve had to revamp it about 7 times since 2013... you’re such a joke man holy Christ.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

35802

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 64

User Lists: 0

#42 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 35802 Posts

@pdogg93 said:

@Pedro: of course you’re defending the xbone UI. Why wouldn’t you?

It must be a great UI, since they’ve had to revamp it about 7 times since 2013... you’re such a joke man holy Christ.

I literally list the problems with it but because I also listed the pros you got butthurt. LOL

Avatar image for pdogg93
pdogg93

1695

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#43 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1695 Posts

@Pedro: lol ok mr. Xbox ambassador.

Avatar image for lamprey263
lamprey263

36261

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#44  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 36261 Posts

At a glance it kind of looks like their current one. Upper area shows more recent played games like old UI, with maybe a couple extra than before, still two spaces for ads or GwG/DwG link, and assuming pinned items below. I mean, not very different.

Avatar image for ajstyles
AJStyles

1197

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#45 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1197 Posts

PS4 UI is awesome. Simple and easy to use. It freaking works.

Xbone UI is annoying to use. I find exiting games a pain in the butt still. The console loves to auto start despite me turning off all the options to do so. The only way to stop it is to leave the HDMI cord unplugged. Otherwise, it turns on when I turn on my TV.

And yes, I checked all my TV settings. It’s only Xbox one that does this. My PS3/PS4/PC never turn on automatically when I turn on my TV and they are all plugged in.

Avatar image for davillain-
DaVillain-

39041

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#46  Edited By DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 39041 Posts

@vfighter said:

@lundy86_4: Easy to navigate and looks good,

BS! PS4 UI is just awful and you should feel bad for saying such a thing. Look, saying PS4 is the best console is all good because of it's cool exclusive but saying the UI is the best is flat out wrong.

Avatar image for rrjim1
rrjim1

1759

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#47  Edited By rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1759 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

@rrjim1: bro the PS4 UI is sexy as hell its so fast and animated backgrounds omg i just fall in love with the system its like my vita i just love it

I just spit my beer on the screen, that is just to funny. Thanks for the laugh now I have to clean my screen.

Avatar image for rrjim1
rrjim1

1759

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#48 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1759 Posts

@ajstyles said:

PS4 UI is awesome. Simple and easy to use. It freaking works.

Xbone UI is annoying to use. I find exiting games a pain in the butt still. The console loves to auto start despite me turning off all the options to do so. The only way to stop it is to leave the HDMI cord unplugged. Otherwise, it turns on when I turn on my TV.

And yes, I checked all my TV settings. It’s only Xbox one that does this. My PS3/PS4/PC never turn on automatically when I turn on my TV and they are all plugged in.

You really need to learn how to use you devices.

Avatar image for shellcase86
shellcase86

4566

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#49 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 4566 Posts

@rrjim1 said:
@ajstyles said:

PS4 UI is awesome. Simple and easy to use. It freaking works.

Xbone UI is annoying to use. I find exiting games a pain in the butt still. The console loves to auto start despite me turning off all the options to do so. The only way to stop it is to leave the HDMI cord unplugged. Otherwise, it turns on when I turn on my TV.

And yes, I checked all my TV settings. It’s only Xbox one that does this. My PS3/PS4/PC never turn on automatically when I turn on my TV and they are all plugged in.

You really need to learn how to use you devices.

Sounds like he does.

Avatar image for pdogg93
pdogg93

1695

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#50 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1695 Posts

@rrjim1: are you mad that most people feel the xbone UI is a sloppy turd? Majority of people feel that way, get over it.