Xbox One have the advantage for the casual crowd?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jpatern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jpatern
Member since 2002 • 25 Posts

Let me start by saying I am a proud owner of both the PS4 and Xbox One. I typically try to get all systems because they each have exclusives that I enjoy to play. I think both systems will continue to improve once the games start coming and both get some patches to tighten things up. I don't get worked up about who has the best launch lineup because games will come for both systems.

I don't use TV integration on my Xbox because I don't want my system on all the time I'm watching TV. I'm just strange that way and like to believe my system will last longer if I don't run it that much. And I can only imagine my parents or my in-laws trying to control the TV through Xbox when they come over to baby sit. My Harmony remote is easy enough for them. Hit one button and they are good to go.

But I've hooked up two Xbox One systems for friends and have run their cable boxes through it. I went to a Saints party recently at one of their houses and a majority of the people there do not game or care about gaming. But they all had young children that like to game. It was pretty unanimous among the non-gamers, that the TV integration (voice control) aspect of the Xbox was "cool". A lot of the wives were also talking about the Xbox Fitness aspect of the machine.

I don't know if any of this will turn into actual console purchases, but I'm pretty sure if they were to get their children a new console, it would be the Xbox because the TV integration and Fitness aspects appeared to have value to them as non-gamers.

I'm not trying to make this into the Xbox One is a casual console and the PS4 is the gaming machine of the two. I like both of them and have no regrets with either. I would just like some more games and patches to hit each. But I did see the Xbox appealing to people that could care a less about the games for other features that they felt were cool. So if they decide to buy consoles for their kids, that could be enough to get them on the Xbox train.

I don't see the Xbox exploding like the Wii did due to the casual crowd, but could the "non-gaming" aspects of the Xbox be enough to give it the edge this gen?

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

all consoles are casual

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

$400 is more casual than $500. Call of Duty: Ghosts sold more copies on the PS4 than on the Xbox One, and that series is the definition of casual.

Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

I'm sure it'll draw in some of the casual market, but not enough to make a real noticeable impact. Those days are over.

EZs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 EZs
Member since 2005 • 1573 Posts

@Dire_Weasel: but it runs on 1080p.

AppleBeatsPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#6 AppleBeatsPC
Member since 2013 • 148 Posts

@jpatern: Xbox One is absolutely a better gaming system for the casual fan, but it also holds it's own with the hardcore gamers. With the death of the PC at the hands of the iMac, Xbox One should see huge improvements in sales as it will be the sole gaming machine geared toward both casual and hardcore gamers. PS4 is respectable, but it is really geared more toward the loyal fanboy.

Xbox one appears to be selling like hotcakes and attracting all sorts of buyers. Just the other day I was at a Best Buy and noticed at least 5 people in the Xbox One aisle, while only 1 person was in the PS4 section. I also watched as a nice family with a few young kids played the Xbox one and had a great time while another family was on the PS4 and the baby in the moms arms was crying really hard. On my way out I also saw someone buying a Xbox One. Just some observations, but overall I think they'll both sell pretty good.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

$400

Thunder7151

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Thunder7151
Member since 2013 • 456 Posts

@applebeatspc said:

@jpatern: Xbox One is absolutely a better gaming system for the casual fan, but it also holds it's own with the hardcore gamers. With the death of the PC at the hands of the iMac, Xbox One should see huge improvements in sales as it will be the sole gaming machine geared toward both casual and hardcore gamers. PS4 is respectable, but it is really geared more toward the loyal fanboy.

Xbox one appears to be selling like hotcakes and attracting all sorts of buyers. Just the other day I was at a Best Buy and noticed at least 5 people in the Xbox One aisle, while only 1 person was in the PS4 section. I also watched as a nice family with a few young kids played the Xbox one and had a great time while another family was on the PS4 and the baby in the moms arms was crying really hard. On my way out I also saw someone buying a Xbox One. Just some observations, but overall I think they'll both sell pretty good.

This post has a lot of good points. Even casual gamers can easily see that at this point that XBOX ONE has the better exclusive games are more features. PS4 is definitely more of a Sony fanboy console (even though I have a PS4 and I am not a Sony fanboy). Both consoles appeal to hardcore gamers. Don't try to tell me that KZSF is a more hardcore game than Titanfall, or that The Order 1886 is a more hardcore game than the next Halo game. No way, no how. Add to that the fact that XBOX traditionally gets more western RPGs and Playstation gets more Japanese RPGs, and in general, western RPGs have a more serious tone and are less childish than Japanese RPGs; therefore making western RPGs more hardcore usually.

That being said, both are great consoles, and I hope they sell equally well.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Let's see what Decembers NPD has to say lol

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

For half a grand? No. X1 has no advantages over anything.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@jpatern: The only advantage Xbone has over PS4 is the American crowd and thats it.

Muffin2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 Muffin2020
Member since 2013 • 534 Posts

It wouldn't matter if it buttered your toast for you and served beer. At $500 no casual is going to pick it up on a whim.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

Let's see what Decembers NPD has to say lol

With all the shortages and limited supply of PS4, the XB1 will probably sell more in December. XB1 are hard to find at retailers, but they have plenty of them online. Every time I asked Gamestop and Best Buy managers about PS4's they keep telling me they haven't received any new shipment in. Not a good sign.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@AzatiS said:

@jpatern: The only advantage Xbone has over PS4 is the American crowd and thats it.

Considering how well the Xbox 360 sold in Uk, Europe & Austrailia last generation, I doubt that's true. The only real advantage the PS3 had last gen was Japan (PS3 - 8 million, 360 - 1.6 million). Remove Japan from the equation and XBox 360 handily beats the PS3.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Gaming is casual in this day and age.

Avatar image for BattlefieldFan3
BattlefieldFan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BattlefieldFan3
Member since 2012 • 361 Posts
@applebeatspc said:

ahahahahahahaha...

Just 24 hours upon getting restocked at amazon, the PS4 shoots up to #1 best sellers while the Xbone drops to #21 (The Xbone is always in stock).

Enough with the stupid "casual crowd" nonsense. You think casuals buy up consoles as TV ornaments? People buy consoles to play games, and the PS4 is the only console right now that offers a sizable graphics upgrade over last-gen consoles. Even the casuals know this, which is why the PS4 is experiencing enormous hardware and software sales. PS4 has stolen the dude-bro crowd from the Xbox.

Watch. The Xbone will end up like the Vita. Strong sales in the first few months, low sales afterwards.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

@muffin2020 said:

It wouldn't matter if it buttered your toast for you and served beer. At $500 no casual is going to pick it up on a whim.

Precisely. When it hits $250, it could be a popular casual item. Until then, it's an enthusiast's purchase.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
@Dreams-Visions said:

@muffin2020 said:

Precisely. When it hits $250, it could be a popular casual item. Until then, it's an enthusiast's purchase.

Eh that depends. Are we saying casual as in soccer mom, or are we going full gaf status and saying casual like dudebro gamer. In which case I don't think the dude bro isn't capable of going ham to spend 500 bucks on a console for the dudebro stuff usually associated with Microsoft after this previous gen.

But yes at 250 bucks the system would have a much larger appeal. As it stands it's an expensive(not that 250 is cheap) by any means) item.

@jpatern said:

Let me start by saying I am a proud owner of both the PS4 and Xbox One.

Penalty Flag: unnecessary disclaimer.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

If they took the multimedia features off of the XBLG paywall i would buy one.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

X1 has huge appeal for the non gaming side of the console. You know damn well there are going to be people buying the X1 for that purpose, just like the PS3 was purchased as a cheaper Blu-Ray player back in the day. The fitness and dance Kinect stuff will always appeal to the crowd it's suppose to. While the $500 price tag is nothing to laugh at don't for one second think that spending $400 for a PS4 is a better option, if I'm already investing $400 into something what's $100 more??? When that gets me more features for my purchase??? PS4 doesn't come with it's camera that's an option/additional purchase, yet it comes with free games that use that camera?? MS and Kinect are in good shape and it's good that everyone's system has one and comes with it, devs will utilize it more cause it's just not an optional add on.

The more people hear about they Skype, TV stuff, Fitness, the more it will attract that crowd the better it will sell.

John_Matherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By John_Matherson
Member since 2013 • 2085 Posts

Feel like I just made a topic about this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

The Wii crowd is up for grabs and i think MS might move on it. Fitness, TV and film? Sounds perfect for the Mums market certainly in America. They need to start plugging Kinect again hard if they want those sales though.

The general market however is still up in the air. If you don't already have a bluray player i doubt you're going to be the type to be buying a console as one and there's already a million devices that can stream content. Even budget TVs offer most streaming services so that's a dwindling market. Unless you're in a country where cable is dominant (and your box is compatible with the X1) then the TV stuff is a bit useless too.

The X1 doesn't really offer much you can't get elsewhere/already have and i don't think people are happy to drop £450 just to have it under one box. It's not like the PS3 where it was the only decently priced Bluray player for a while.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

The Wii crowd already exited the console market for tablets and phone apps. The XBone is built from the ground up for a market that isn't there. Especially at its price point.

remaGloohcSdlO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25  Edited By remaGloohcSdlO
Member since 2005 • 4152 Posts

The $400/$500 price points are going to get the loyals and fans year one, but all consoles will decrease over the years and one will show itself as the more "casual".

It's WAY to early to tell, but if I had to guess I'd say the XB1 will attract more casuals eventually.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

@Dreams-Visions said:

@muffin2020 said:

Yup

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#27 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

As I've said before, Xbone is in a better position for "Wow/cool" factor.

Off topic: lol, whats up with all these alt accounts. Are these people new here or just trolling?