Xbox One Exec Admits PS4 Has...

• 175 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

MS is dooooomed I tellz ya, Dooomed. :P

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with X1 these days and had they not brought Phil on to right the ship they'd be in a heck of a lot worse position. I'd say they're probably lucky to be still in the sales game just in NA.

What do you think of this SW, can they catch the gen eight leader, live love and all that jazz? :P

The Story.

---

Xbox One Exec Admits PS4 Has "Huge Lead," Not Sure If Microsoft Can Catch Up

"We're not motivated by beating Sony, we're motivated by gaining as many customers as we can."

by Eddie Makuch on October 9, 2015

The PlayStation 4 has a "huge lead" over the Xbox One, according to Xbox boss Phil Spencer, an advantage that is so large right now that he's unsure if Microsoft's console can ever catch up.

Spencer's candid comments came during a panel at the 2015 GeekWire Summit. As reported by Videogamer, when Spencer was asked if he thought the Xbox One could outsell the PS4 this generation, he replied, "You know, I don't know. You know, the length of the generation... They [Sony] have a huge lead and they have a good product. I love the content, the games lineup that we have."

Promoted

China's Revenge: The End of the Dollar

Must-see interview - Economist, Jim Rickards reveals China's plans for global currency wars, and explains how Americans can protect their wealth.

The Head of Xbox went on to say that the situation surrounding the Xbox One's launch, marked by dramatic policy reversals and controversial comments from executives who have since left the company, had a negative effect on the platform's ability to have a strong start. In fact, Spencer admitted that Microsoft "fundamentally lost... the trust of our most loyal customers" at this time.

"Whether it's always-on, used games, whatever the feature was, we lost the trust in them that they were at the center of our decision-making process," he said. "Were we building a product for us, or were we building a product for the gamers? And as soon as that question came into people's minds and they looked at anything, whether it was the power of our box, our launch lineup, microtransactions, any of the features that you talked about, what you find is very quickly you lose the benefit of the doubt. You lose your customer's assumption that the reason you're building your product is to delight them and not just build a better and more maybe manipulative product."

Spencer was promoted to Head of Xbox in March 2014 and at that time, he said "job number one" was to attempt to regain the confidence of the Xbox team by way of being "very forthright" with them. He says he's already seeing a change in the team for the better. Instead of a team "that's questioning the leadership of the organization," he now sees a team "that's motivated by the customers that we have and their ability to delight them."

Spencer added: "I see a team that's making amazing progress. [Backwards compatibility] was one. We didn't know back compat would work. We started it. A few ninja engineers went off and figured it out, how do you go from PowerPC to X86 and translate game code that's about as time-critical as any piece of code that you would want in terms of its performance, and they got it done. So I would never question the ability of our organization, but I'll say we're not motivated by beating Sony, we're motivated by gaining as many customers as we can."

A direct sales comparison between Xbox One and PS4 is tough to nail down. As of June 30, Sony had shipped 25.3 million PS4 consoles worldwide, while the only shipment number Microsoft has ever announced for the Xbox One was 10 million. That figure, however, came back in November 2014.

You can watch the full interview below.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

It took him 2 years to admit the obvious.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SecretPolice

/

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

It took him 2 years to admit the obvious.

I dunno man, if they start selling those super fine Bunuru's at $299.99 starting mid November they could be back in it to win it....

:P

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

Spencer is the Head of Xbox that we need and deserve.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NathanDrakeSwag

@SecretPolice: $50 cheaper won't be enough. Last year they were $70 cheaper with $50 gift cards and free games on top of it.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Soon, they will be so far behind that Spencer will stop talking about their competition completely

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SecretPolice

@NathanDrakeSwag:

But I'm saying 50 less plus the free games that come in those bundles. Being sub 300 dollars with free games really could clear the shelves come the holidays, I dunno, I just want Halo 5 and I'm good to go. :P

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

At least Phil is realistic and honest unlike Sony execs. "We have a great holiday lineup!!!!"-Lying Sony exec.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I mean, in a way this is a good thing if you are a fan of MS. It seems to show they are dedicated to staying in consoles. If you are a die-hard Lem that can't let go of the victories of yesteryear, well then yeah, tough luck.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NathanDrakeSwag

@SecretPolice: But the only current $350 bundles they have include either Lego or Gears remaster. Unless you think they will drop the Halo and Fallout 1TB bundles to $300 which I can't see happening.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

Honesty after almost completely burning down the xbox brand yeah they just want back customer support at this point. People are easily convinced by general public perception and xbox is trying to get over the bad reception they got is all.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SecretPolice

@NathanDrakeSwag: Oh, I though there were others, hmm, well then I suppose it's just how bad MS want to win NA. They likely could do that but yeah, I'm guessing they like profit more than winning, so would I. lol

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Yes gain the customer base back, peoples trust and carry that over to the next generation whenever that releases, start building again from the bottom is what Microsoft are doing after that massive screw up.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

This loss will motivate Phil to make the next Xbox console truly amazing.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SecretPolice

@emgesp said:

Okay, don't tease me with a good time, now I want this gen over so I can get the amazing ummmmm, Xbox Too. :P

BigKingCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By BigKingCheese
Member since 2014 • 283 Posts

Time to follow your master's heart and accept reality, lemmings.

@emgesp said:

There won't be another.

@mems_1224 said:

At least Phil is realistic and honest unlike Sony execs. "We have a great holiday lineup!!!!"-Lying Sony exec.

When is Uncle Phil going to address the absolute drought of games on the Dustbox?

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

They have like 4 or 5 80+ games release from DQ to Uncharted,Disgaia to Tearaway, Tales,they are getting games,and is not like MS is doing out of this world,Gears has 83,Forza 6 has 87 and Halo still unrated...

I remember last gen how games with 87 score like Resistance were crap for you,this gen 87 and 83 is ok,boy how standards have change...lol

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@tormentos said:
@mems_1224 said:

They have like 4 or 5 80+ games release from DQ to Uncharted,Disgaia to Tearaway, Tales,they are getting games,and is not like MS is doing out of this world,Gears has 83,Forza 6 has 87 and Halo still unrated...

I remember last gen how games with 87 score like Resistance were crap for you,this gen 87 and 83 is ok,boy how standards have change...lol

great, so ps4 has no games. thanks for proving my point

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Shewgenja

Hyperbole versus hyperbole. Who will win?

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

I'm kind of glad the xbox one is so far behind the PS4. Means MS has to create more exclusives/win 10 games, can't rely on third party. Pretty big reversal from last gen when they relied heavily on third party and sprinkled exclusives at a much slower pace. MS really has to focus on churning out exclusive/win10 content to be a viable option. So I'm starting to see the payoff with games like crackdown, sea of thieves, Fable legends, Quantum Break, re-core and etc....So being thumped by PS4 this gen is huge plus for me.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NathanDrakeSwag

@sts106mat: Forza never charts either so they have a lot in common. The difference being Tearaway was low budget with no marketing. Forza is big budget with lots of marketing and people still don't buy that shit.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SecretPolice

@BigBadBully said:

I'm kind of glad the xbox one is so far behind the PS4. Means MS has to create more exclusives/win 10 games, can't rely on third party. Pretty big reversal from last gen when they relied heavily on third party and sprinkled exclusives at a much slower pace. MS really has to focus on churning out exclusive/win10 content to be a viable option. So I'm starting to see the payoff with games like crackdown, sea of thieves, Fable legends, Quantum Break, re-core and etc....So being thumped by PS4 this gen is huge plus for me.

SP Approved, MS with their backs to the wall is a great thing for X1 owners.

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

This is a part of life. It's like being in a relation, you put all that time and effect to build up trust and do and say all the right things for years and you screw up 1 time and you're tarnished forever lol. MS have a long way to go to build that trust back up that they built with the 360. Although they are saying and doing all the right things now, it's going to take sometime to get people back.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SecretPolice

@BigShotSmoov007 said:

This is a part of life. It's like being in a relation, you put all that time and effect to build up trust and do and say all the right things for years and you screw up 1 time and you're tarnished forever lol. MS have a long way to go to build that trust back up that they built with the 360. Although they are saying and doing all the right things now, it's going to take sometime to get people back.

Great analogy and it made me chuckle.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@bigkingcheese said:

Time to follow your master's heart and accept reality, lemmings.

@emgesp said:

There won't be another.

@mems_1224 said:

When is Uncle Phil going to address the absolute drought of games on the Dustbox?

Of course there will be another Xbox. It might not win this generation, but the XB1 is still selling well relative to how the 360 was selling during the same time frame.

BigKingCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BigKingCheese

@sts106mat said:

@NathanDrakeSwag: except forza did chart and is still in the top 10. try harder cow

Hahaha, still in denial it underperformed in relation to every other Forza game? Fatigue's setting in, Matty. :)

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts

Just get good games and everything will work out for you.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SecretPolice

@bigkingcheese said:
@sts106mat said:

@NathanDrakeSwag: except forza did chart and is still in the top 10. try harder cow

Hahaha, still in denial it underperformed in relation to every other Forza game? Fatigue's setting in, Matty. :)

I for one, a big fan of Forza games, have yet to buy my copy since I still have stuff to do in FH2 and perhaps like many, we'll buy FM6 around Christmas so the number sold could jump substantially around the holiday.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

Not sure but its my fav type of SW fight *grabs popcorn*

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Shewgenja

@blue_hazy_basic said:
@Shewgenja said:

Not sure but its my fav type of SW fight *grabs popcorn*

LOL, me too! It's like, games don't count because of arbitrary reasons. I always default to the tried and true "PS4 has more games" but this isn't my fight.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

@tormentos said:
@mems_1224 said:

60% of the people that buy a certain game don't look at game reviews and that's just me playing it safe.

Also a game is a subjective experience. Not universal one that you can force on everyone.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@BigBadBully said:

Yeah, it's usually better to own the console that isn't winning sales.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

But didn't @nyadc say Xbox would catch up to the PS4 by the end of this year?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

@SecretPolice said:
@BigShotSmoov007 said:

Glad to see someone caught on, only someone who's actually been in one would get that analogy, which I doubt a lot of people on here have been in smh.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

Hearfelt words from MS themselves admitting PS4's greatness, mass appeal and apparently gen 8 console leader in hand,

@PurpleMan5000 said:
@BigBadBully said:

And THIS honestly will probably make me buy MS next console first next gen and wait for PS5 till Naughty Gods 1st game release.

MS will be motivated like SONY was this gen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

@PurpleMan5000 said:
@BigBadBully said:

Do gamers play sales or the games they have?

BigKingCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BigKingCheese

@BigBadBully: Yep, and even then content-wise they're getting thumped by the PS4. Really does look like MS is backing out of vidya. Oh well.

@sts106mat said:

@bigkingcheese: did it really?

oh wait, you are that bandodger grenadelauncher

hahaha

Yeah it did, Matty. I even gave you numbers, which you summarily ignored because it upset you and you'd rather keep your head in the sand.

But hey, stay mad, it just exposes you as the lemming you are

hahaha

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56089 Posts

@SecretPolice said:
@emgesp said:

Okay, don't tease me with a good time, now I want this gen over so I can get the amazing ummmmm, Xbox Too. :P

Each console generation is aging faster and faster, it wouldn't surprise me if the next-gen is out in the next 3 years. With the new Nintendo system coming out soon, Sony/MS will soon follow. I still love my PS4 and Xbox One for their exclusive games, but that's about it. Xbox: Infinity. [It was the rumor name back then.

@SecretPolice said:

Well I do like my girls BBW :P

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SecretPolice

@BigShotSmoov007 said:
@SecretPolice said:
@BigShotSmoov007 said:

Glad to see someone caught on, only someone who's actually been in one would get that analogy, which I doubt a lot of people on here have been in smh.

Oh I know all too well, the woman I've been with for 12 years; she and I aren't speaking for the past couple months right now . lol

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Shewgenja

@Heil68 said:

Hearfelt words from MS themselves admitting PS4's greatness, mass appeal and apparently gen 8 console leader in hand,

@PurpleMan5000 said:
@BigBadBully said:

And THIS honestly will probably make me buy MS next console first next gen and wait for PS5 till Naughty Gods 1st game release.

MS will be motivated like SONY was this gen.

My gut tells me that next gen, they are both going to go at it in full Beast Mode. SNES vs Genesis style. That is, if MSes shareholders don't put XBox on a chopping block.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SecretPolice

@davillain-:

lol, More cushion for the pushin? :P

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#45 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Nice interview. For me, just like any previous generation where I was an owner of a Nintendo, Sega or Playstation platform, I never cared about sales and all I care about is that my console of choice is strongly supported, and there is absolutely no sign of MS dialing back on its Xbox One support.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56089 Posts
@SecretPolice said:

@davillain-:

lol, More cushion for the pushin? :P

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

great, so ps4 has no games. thanks for proving my point

Thanks for proving mine officially you are blind..lol

@sts106mat said:

@tormentos: hahahahahahahha - you call that >>>>>>>>

a game?

hahahahahaha

Tearaway is a vita port, that nobody wants. it didn't even make the top 20.

try again Eltormo

Hhahahahahahahahhahahahhhahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Lets see no matter how hard you try to downplay the games i just name this is the reality with them.

Tearaway 82%

Disgaea 83%

DQ 79%

Uncharted Collection 87 %

The Talos Principle 90% (lol)

And not counting Tales of Zestiria which hasn't being release, for one thing i am sure those games there which some how you don't consider games,have better score than Ryse 60 which you consider a good game and which you enjoy it,so spare me your cries you have a shitty taste confirmed.

And if you enjoyed something as boring and bland as Ryse hell any one can enjoy those up there on PS4..lol

gregbmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 gregbmil
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

I would be happy with only my Xbox One. I do have a PS4 and gets a lot more use though.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#50  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Didn't we get a thread based on these comments last week? And didn't I hear the same thing from Balmer in that South Park episode two years ago?