XBOX ONE does degrade your TV's picture!!!

• 148 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

IFBB-PRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By IFBB-PRO
Member since 2007 • 211 Posts

Is Microsoft serious when they say they want xbox one to be center of your living room? I am so mad with microsoft right now. Did they really think they were going to make xbox one center of peoples living rooms when kinect only picks up 60 percent of what you say and tv picture is severely degraded?!

Here are my thoughts After using xbox one with my family for entire day. Check my post history before calling me a fanboy. I own pc, ps4 and xbox one. Used to own ps3 ,360 as well.

Kinect - As some reviewers pointed out. When it works it works good. The problem is it worked only 60-70 percent of the time for my wife, daughter and myself. It could not understand simple tasks such as go to ESPN (would switch me to ABC Family). So as of now kinect is a deal breaker for us. I would never use it to switch channels. I am not going to sit and repeat myself 6 times just to switch a channel.

XBOX One and cable box tv quality - stop and return xbox one if you are buying it so you can watch tv and play games. Xbox one might be good gaming machine (it does not need to be most powerful to have good fun games) but when it comes watching Direct TV through it. it is HORRIBLE!!!!

After hooking up direct tv and my AV receiver to xbox one I could not believe my eyes how bad my tv picture looked (TV I own UN60D8000). Picture quality was severely DEGRADED!!! It made my tv look like i was watching 600p content instead of 1080p. It was really bad! I immediately had to unhook my direct tv from xbox and go back to my old set up. I called my friend and he was having the same exact issue (degraded picture when running xbox one through u-verse and same issue with kinect not picking up half of what he was saying)

Download time on xbox one - Looks like Sony and MS switched places this generation. Xbox one games take noticeably longer to download compared to ps4.

All in all. I will keep xbox one for the up coming games but as for connecting it to my tv absolutely not!!!! I hope and wish that it's just software issue and it can be fixed in the next few weeks/months and i can go back and connect my xbox one to direct tv box without having degraded picture.

My sister and brother in law who do not game at all were very interested in picking up xbox one for tv part alone. That will never happen now! Who would want to connect xbox one to nice TV if it will degrade tv's picture! I am more embarrassed in front of my wife and daughter. since E3 i was hyping xbox. After showing them few videos they were really sold on it and could not wait to use xbox one for TV. That all went out through the window yesterday.

if you could only buy one system. I say go would playstation 4. xbox one truly does feel like a rushed product!

Microsoft will sell few million units to hardcore gamers but they will never penetrate living room market with kinect that only works little more then half of the time and degraded picture on expensive tv's. Thanks but no thanks!

My xbox one gamer tag (MainMan Andrey)

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

" if you could only buy one system. I say go with playstation 4. xbox one truly does feel like a rushed product!"

This says it all.

PS4 wins.

/thread

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

@IFBB-PRO: oh, that's interesting. My friend mentioned dodgy TV quality through the HDMI on his X1 as well. I just assumed it was a faulty unit and told him to get it replaced *oops*

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I miss Bill Gates.

The vision MS had at E3 360 announcement made it sound like the best console to have, and it did live up to that promise... until now. It's a headache like W8. Consoles are supposed to be simple imo.

PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

60% of the time, it works every time. 8)

I'm curious to see if it really does degrade tv quality as you mentioned, maybe ign will put up a video of this in a few days.

I just find the whole concept of being the centerpiece of the living room a bit flawed. Last generation there was the same rage as well coming from all three consoles, which people may or may not remember this. But it was the rise of the mobile gaming and mobile computing markets which nobody saw coming that put a complete stomp onto this trend. Game consoles in the end will be a game console, no need to turn it into something it's not.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

I have SKY HD, I don't need another DVR.

IFBB-PRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 IFBB-PRO

@PSdual_wielder: Here is TheVerge website talking about the same issue. Scroll to the middle where they talk about picture degradation as well.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/20/5117320/microsoft-xbox-one-review

PS360Wii4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PS360Wii4eva
Member since 2010 • 297 Posts

This was a genuine good read.

Even if it all worked I'm skeptical how many families could learn to use it on a daily basis.

The entire concept just don't seem logical. Been saying that since reveal.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12060 Posts

You should return it.

I am loving mine and it is revolutionary.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

great post and i don't see many of these since this fucking alt acc spam

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@kuu2 said:

loving mine and it is revolutionary.

dat 720p revolution in 2013 though

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

The install times are longer than expected, especially for COD and BF4. That will improve greatly so no worries. As for the Voice Commands, Im not getting how it only worked for you 60% of the time. Me and three of my pals were talking last night on Skype and we're around 90% of the time. As for Tow of my buds with Comcast say the TV portion looks the same. But if there is a degradation on your set you might want to research and see if there's a fix/option before you declaring it a bust, lol. I'm loving my Xbox One and it is next gen. Saw PS4 at my brother in laws house, I have no interest in anything he was playing and told him it was a ps3.5. Even he agreed, although he expects the system to pick up when more games arrived.

IFBB-PRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 IFBB-PRO

@shawn30: I don't really know how to respond to your post. I can only go by my own's family experience, my friends family experience and TheVerge review. I even called xbox support to see if i connected something wrong. Maybe im noticing big difference is because my tv is 60 inch. UN60d8000 does show very nice picture so if there is picture quality change believe me you will see it. Very easy to notice things with HIGH END TV's.

On separate note. Take any product that had big issues (xbox360) for every 20 people who had their xbox360 fail due to red rings of death there were 50 more people telling them "my works fine, you must of done something wrong for it to fail".

I want MS to succeed as much as i want sony to succeed (i own both) but as it stands there is no way i can recommend xbox to anyone who want's to buy it for tv entreatment purpose.

If you play mostly multi platform games and you dont care about exclusives and you can only buy one system. There is no way i can recommend xbox over ps4. If we only speaking game wise then ps4 is a no brainer. The only reason i wanted xbox is because i believed in Microsoft hype on what the machine can do and i was willing to pay extra money to have it. Now since entertainment part is out of the window my question to Microsoft is, why am i paying extra 100 dollars again??!

I believe that word of mouth is the true system seller. when something works its easy to recommend it to 5 people and those 5 people recommend it to 5 more people and so on. At the same time when something does not work it has the same negative affect.

As I said before. I am stil keeping my xbox one (my daughter loves forza) i also like some MS exclusives. And maybe few months down the road Microsoft will fix all this issues and it will be all forgotten.

I was one of the first galaxy s4 buyers. Wifi at my work did not work for anyone who owned galaxy s4 (samsung admitted there were some wifi issues on their end). i decided to give samsung a chance hopping they would fix the issue and they did 2 months later. I am willing to wait and see if things are fixed. It's just that i am not willing to recommend it over ps4 at this point as things stand.

Until MS fixes those issues i will be buying all my multi platform games on ps4 instead of xbox. Last gen all my multi platform games were on 360.

Avatar image for enviouseyezonme
EnviousEyezOnMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By EnviousEyezOnMe
Member since 2013 • 272 Posts

This could just be a stab in the dark but do you set your TV to Game Mode when normally playing Xbox or any game system? Did you try changing it to movie, cinema, THX etc when viewing the TV portion? I forgot to do that a couple of times already and was watching TV while in Game Mode and it looked like a**! My new 60" Panasonic Plasma is professionally calibrated and when it's switched to my custom setting, I don't see a difference in quality while viewing TV through the X1. And vice-vera...I was playing Ryse in custom settings which looked terrible but when switched to Game Mode, looked great!

Just a thought and might be worth a look if you haven't done so........

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

Tragedy. Thanks for the summary. I'm not too surprised. Original Kinect didn't work as advertsied, so I didn't really thing this version or HDMI-in would work as advertised. I see no value as a consumer to get a X1 over a PS4 myself.

ConorHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#16 ConorHat
Member since 2013 • 141 Posts

First world problems

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

What likely going on is that slow ass ddr3 ram and low end gpu it too much of a strain on the xbone. In order to play games and TV at the same time it needs to degrade the TV visuals.

I'm not sure why the TV thing is a selling point for anyone. My Old ass but still super sexy Samsung from 2008 has the in screen window thing if for any reason I ever wanted to play a game and watch TV at the same time.

ScreamDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ScreamDream
Member since 2006 • 3953 Posts

That was a great post. I wonder why none of the major gaming sites are knocking the Direct TV or maybe we will hear more about it. This sounds like a major bummer because don't you have to pay extra on the Xbox One because of it's cable TV hardware?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

" if you could only buy one system. I say go with playstation 4. xbox one truly does feel like a rushed product!"

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@IFBB-PRO: Why would you ever buy multiplats on the one when they will pretty much always look better on PS4?

IFBB-PRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 IFBB-PRO

@enviouseyezonme: Game mode is off.

I have my brother in law and my sister stopping by today. I will see what they have to say regarding the picture. One thing my wife and I noticed. Kinect responds little better today compared to yesterday. It understands little more and is little faster but at the same time we are still having issues repeating ourselves 5 times for some commands , example; for skype to call one of my friends.

Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#22 Mr_Ditters
Member since 2008 • 1920 Posts

That should be a deal breaker for many people.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50545 Posts

Ya, I've recently read that it's not real HDMI pass through and it does degrade the picture a bit. If I ever get it, it won't be used like that for me, but still disappointing.

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

@silversix_ said:

@kuu2 said:

LOL that cows think that 1080p is any better. Lets all argue about outdated tech! PC's have been outputting a higher res for a while now, with 4k coming in its sad to think no console games will ever even use it.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Chutebox

@Crypt_mx said:

@silversix_ said:

@kuu2 said:

LOL that cows think that 1080p is any better. Lets all argue about outdated tech! PC's have been outputting a higher res for a while now, with 4k coming in its sad to think no console games will ever even use it.

1080p is better...

IFBB-PRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 IFBB-PRO

@AM-Gamer: because lot of my friends own Xbox One. Plus I'm not one of those people that care if game on one system looks slightly better. If you need to pause and find the difference then it's not a issues for me.

Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mr_Ditters

@IFBB-PRO said:

@AM-Gamer: because lot of my friends own Xbox One. Plus I'm not one of those people that care if game on one system looks slightly better. If you need to pause and find the difference then it's not a issues for me.

The trick is to convert them. Little by little. Lead them to the PS4 and get them out of the microsoft fanboy religion. Then after you break that fixation, you gradually lead them over to PC and introduce them to Steam. They will thank you for changing their life.

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Crypt_mx

@Chutebox said:

@Crypt_mx said:

@silversix_ said:

@kuu2 said:

1080p is better...

I understand that it is better, but its kind of like comparing dvd's to vcr's. We have blu-ray and digital now :P All I'm saying is 1080p isn't some amazing thing, we've been seeing better for a while now.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Chutebox

@Crypt_mx: Ah, gotcha

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Crypt_mx

@Mr_Ditters said:

@IFBB-PRO said:

The trick is to convert them. Little by little. Lead them to the PS4 and get them out of the microsoft fanboy religion. Then after you break that fixation, you gradually lead them over to PC and introduce them to Steam. They will thank you for changing their life.

You just sound like a really messed up cult that believes liking X1 means you are a member of the "MS Religion". You can't convert someone out of a personal preference.

Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Mr_Ditters

@Crypt_mx said:

@Mr_Ditters said:

@IFBB-PRO said:

You just sound like a really messed up cult that believes liking X1 means you are a member of the "MS Religion". You can't convert someone out of a personal preference.

If it really was just a matter of personal preference then everything would be fine, but fanboyism goes far beyond that. It involves a deeply personal investment in a product--a toy--that somehow links your feelings of self-worth with a gaming device. The feelings are so powerful that it leads to a denial of reality. You can see plenty of fanboys posting here that are incomplete denial of things that are in front of their face in the broad daylight because for some screwup up reason, their ego can't handle the truth.

Its really is a weird psychological phenomenon--just weird. People are like that about iphones too.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I just can't imagine why you'd want to reroute your cable through another device. It seems completely stupid.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

So wait a minute! The XBone degrades your TV image and NO site is talking about it?!

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Chutebox

@KHAndAnime said:

I just can't imagine why you'd want to reroute your cable through another device. It seems completely stupid.

Er, hell no. If you do it with a receiver that has real pass through, it's fucking awesome. I can leave the receiver in "stand by" mode and it'll just pass the signal straight through and I can just watch with tv speakers. Or I can turn the receiver on and watch with surround sound on. It's awesome. EVERY single one of my components go through my receiver.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

@IFBB-PRO said:

if you could only buy one system. I say go would playstation 4. xbox one truly does feel like a rushed product!

#SDC!

That's all that needed to be said.

MajorPain10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MajorPain10
Member since 2007 • 524 Posts

@IFBB-PRO: @IFBB-PRO: I'm pretty sure I remember reading a while ago that the hdmi in on the Xbox One can only display the picture at 720p. Whether or not this can be fixed with a software update I'm not sure.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

@shawn30 said:

The install times are longer than expected, especially for COD and BF4. That will improve greatly so no worries. As for the Voice Commands, Im not getting how it only worked for you 60% of the time. Me and three of my pals were talking last night on Skype and we're around 90% of the time. As for Tow of my buds with Comcast say the TV portion looks the same. But if there is a degradation on your set you might want to research and see if there's a fix/option before you declaring it a bust, lol. I'm loving my Xbox One and it is next gen. Saw PS4 at my brother in laws house, I have no interest in anything he was playing and told him it was a ps3.5. Even he agreed, although he expects the system to pick up when more games arrived.

The PS4 is a gaming machine. The X1 is MS's ca$h box. Which is why it does more.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

@Mr_Ditters: says the guy trying to convert people to his platform of choice.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

System has only been out for 2 days. We're already deciding its permanently flawed. Is this as stupid to me as it is to anyone else? Video game consoles don't just play games now, they do tons of other things. Expecting perfection at launch is just silly.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@Chutebox said:

@KHAndAnime said:

Er, hell no. If you do it with a receiver that has real pass through, it's fucking awesome. I can leave the receiver in "stand by" mode and it'll just pass the signal straight through and I can just watch with tv speakers. Or I can turn the receiver on and watch with surround sound on. It's awesome. EVERY single one of my components go through my receiver.

Duh? I'm assuming you'd already have a receiver hooked up. With another device on top of that, it is completely stupid.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

xbox one is a big pile of gimmicky mess that is dragging a good gaming console through the mud.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

Didn't even bother doing the HDMI pass through because I hardly even watch TV, but LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL mSOFT why you do this? my mind is blown right now

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

Commands work flawlessly for me....as for the picture I sure don't see a downgrade with Direct TV

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 XBOunity
Member since 2013 • 3837 Posts

@kuu2: same tv but with fios. No issue for me and trust me I checked

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#45 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@IFBB-PRO: Holy **** does System Wars need to bring back its minimum requirement for creating a thread rule.

dinb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46  Edited By dinb
Member since 2003 • 1185 Posts

I have both too. I find voice controls on the ps4 just as accurate as the xbox one, although they are very limited atm. However, despite the da4 being a huge improvement over ds3, I still prefer the xbox one controller. My hands feel cramped with the two sticks close together. I wish playstation would sell two versions if the ds4 with the sticks in different position.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12181 Posts

Direct TV that is your problem right there.

IFBB-PRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 IFBB-PRO

@xhawk27: If direct tv is my problem then how do you explain my friend who has the same exact issue running his xbox one through U-Verse cable box.

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 XBOunity
Member since 2013 • 3837 Posts

@IFBB-PRO: stop trying so hard. Its in your head bro

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

wow! that is terrible. My brother was thinking about getting one in the future when the price drop just to use it as a media center, but if it down grade the pictures than WTF is the point?