Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 10

Poll Xbox Japanese support (36 votes)

Yes 33%
Lolno 67%

Now that Sony are basically done supporting Japanese developers that aren't Square Enix, Capcom and SEGA. Do you think that the Xbox systems will start getting more Japanese games or will they stay either PS exclusive or PS and Switch?

• 
Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts

Yes. I totally think the consoles that sell 50 units a week in Japan with the userbase that guarantees Japanese games get a 90/10 split in sales in favor of Playstation will get way more support now. It makes total sense.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

I'd give the chances a big fat ummm... maybe. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-60cb3701bc83b
deactivated-60cb3701bc83b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By deactivated-60cb3701bc83b
Member since 2018 • 501 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin: A lot more Japanese games have been launching on Xbox and there's even rumours of Persona 5 going to Xbox.

It may not sell well in Japan but clearly there's enough interest from the Western Xbox community for companies to consider it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-60cb3701bc83b

@SecretPolice: look at you cheating :P

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

Japan is all about mobile so I think xCloud will to really well over there.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts

@iamdavey said:

@BenjaminBanklin: A lot more Japanese games have been launching on Xbox and there's even rumours of Persona 5 going to Xbox.

It may not sell well in Japan but clearly there's enough interest from the Western Xbox community for companies to consider it.

The only "interest" is if Phil Spencer is interested enough to pay for it to come to the platform. It wouldn't even be worth the dev time otherwise.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

Xbox did pay Square Enix to port Dragon Quest XIS on Gamepass, almost all FF games and recently payed for Octopath Traveler Gamepass appearance. They dont care for the japanese market itself as you can see how poorly sells there, but do seems to try to cater to the international Weebs.

Do amaze me at Xbox willingness to throw money to shave PS/Nintendo dominance in the niche space. Very rarely games in this space sells more than 1-2 mil except for big brands like ff and most of the time sells most on other platforms.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

I don't think people here realize how dead Xbox is in Japan. It's virtually non-existent. There are probably more US military personnel playing Xbox in Japan than anyone else in the country lol.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56088 Posts

This obsession some people have with Xbox consoles in Japan is weird!

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Make a portable system can play everything on gamepass and it might actually sell more than 11 systems per week.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

Selling 10 units on a monthly basis , I highly doubt they will be getting Japanese support, and if they do then MS is paying a crap load of money to make that happen.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

The interesting thing is, MS won't sell consoles, but they might get some Gamepass subs if they get some more Japanese games on it. Even Xcloud may be of interest there.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Zero_epyon  Online
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

Why would devs put in extra work to sell to the 100 people with Xboxes in Japan? MS will have to pay up for that to happen.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

The what now?

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

I'm TBH worried about Japan except Capcom they haven't been doing all that good lately.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44150 Posts

Well they already have been getting a lot more Japanese games for awhile now:

- Phantasy Star Online 2

- Yakuza games

- Kingdom Heart games

- Dragon Quest XI S Definitive Edition

- Dragon Quest Builders 2

- Octopath Traveler

Those are just games that typically haven’t been on the Xbox platform before. They still get pretty good support with many other Japanese games. It’s just not about selling those games on the platform in Japan, it’s also about selling them on the platform world wide. I’m all for having more of these games on Xbox myself so I sure hope that they keep them coming.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-60cb3701bc83b

@ProtossRushX said:

I'm TBH worried about Japan except Capcom they haven't been doing all that good lately.

Well I guess you wouldn't mind SEGA going Xbox exclusive then. More Yakuza and Persona the better.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

@iamdavey said:
@ProtossRushX said:

Well I guess you wouldn't mind SEGA going Xbox exclusive then. More Yakuza and Persona the better.

Yeah I'm not big on either of those does SEGA make persona I thought Atlas does I mean like sega first party don't seem that big right now.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-60cb3701bc83b

@ProtossRushX said:
@iamdavey said:
@ProtossRushX said:

Yeah I'm not big on either of those does SEGA make persona I thought Atlas does I mean like sega first party don't seem that big right now.

SEGA own Atlus.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-60cb3701bc83b

@girlusocrazy said:

Xbox used to have partnerships with Japanese studios, MS helped form Mistwalker. They had Sega make some sequels for them like Outrun 2 and Jet Set Radio Future, now these games aren't even compatible with Series. It's a shame they don't do that type of thing anymore and aren't even holding up that legacy.

The fact that Dead or Alive used to be a mascot for Xbox in Japan is insane to me.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#22 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

@davillain- said:

I know. 🤭

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1454 Posts

@iamdavey: Now that Sony are basically done supporting Japanese developers that aren't Square Enix, Capcom and SEGA. Do you think that the Xbox systems will start getting more Japanese games or will they stay either PS exclusive or PS and Switch?

First of all, Sony has not done supporting Japanese devs at all. Almost all Japanese games, from AAAs to indies, are/will be available on PS5/PS4, with the exception of Nintendo's exclusive games.

As for your question, I'd say sure, finish Scalebound, make a sequel to Lost Odyssey, and get Kojima or somebody to make exclusive games for them. I would gladly play them on my PC.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-60cb3701bc83b

@st_monica said:

@iamdavey: Now that Sony are basically done supporting Japanese developers that aren't Square Enix, Capcom and SEGA. Do you think that the Xbox systems will start getting more Japanese games or will they stay either PS exclusive or PS and Switch?

First of all, Sony has not done supporting Japanese devs at all. Almost all Japanese games, from AAAs to indies, are/will be available on PS5/PS4, with the exception of Nintendo's exclusive games.

As for your question, I'd say sure, finish Scalebound, make a sequel to Lost Odyssey, and get Kojima or somebody to make exclusive games for them. I would gladly play them on my PC.

While it's true that PlayStation will likely still get them, I highly doubt it'll be the same as before where they get them exclusively or they're timed for years on end.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

@davillain-: Just the obsession in general.

Regarding Japan, the importance is not so much the territory but having those games available for Western Xbox users. I don't believe for a second that Microsoft really expects to be big in Japan.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

Well Judgement 2 got announced for xbox release so this might be true.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27  Edited By Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

I don't expect them to match PlayStation or, Nintendo any time soon. The only way that happens is if XCloud really takes off in Japan and/or they actually end up getting GamePass onto Nintendo and/or PlayStation consoles.

Xbox's best bet right now is to make sure they don't continue to lose out on AAA content like Street Fighter, Persona, Nioh, FF7R, FF16 etc. because that'll not only continue to drive them into the dirt in Japan but, it also means the worldwide market for Japanese content will skew away from them.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Only for games MS wants to shell out money for Game Pass from looks of it. For now. They still get many if the big AAA like Resident Evil.

LouiXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LouiXIII
Member since 2015 • 10052 Posts

@iamdavey: Lost me at "now that Sony isn't supporting Japanese developers..." then mentions 3 Japanese developers yet failed to mention Namco (Tekken is still a huge PS franchise despite it being multiplat) and Tecmo (Nioh....nuff said).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-60cb3701bc83b

@louixiii: Tekken is a multiplatform release, I doubt Sony would try to get exclusivity on it.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Only if Microsoft keeps paying companies to put their games on Xbox.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

Has nothing to do with selling Xboxes in Japan.

Has everything to do with diversifying the software offerings available to their platform elsewhere in the world.

Many cows already know that, but they have to type some brain dead trash response because they know that this further reduces the PS brand advantage elsewhere in the world.

Then there are the cows that really are that stupid and actually believe what they type.

SWs never lets me down in terms of the drivel factor.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-60cb3701bc83b

@SUD123456 said:

Has nothing to do with selling Xboxes in Japan.

Has everything to do with diversifying the software offerings available to their platform elsewhere in the world.

Many cows already know that, but they have to type some brain dead trash response because they know that this further reduces the PS brand advantage elsewhere in the world.

Then there are the cows that really are that stupid and actually believe what they type.

SWs never lets me down in terms of the drivel factor.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

LouiXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LouiXIII

@iamdavey said:

@louixiii: Tekken is a multiplatform release, I doubt Sony would try to get exclusivity on it.

I already mentioned that in my comment. Despite that, it sells a lot more on the PS platforms than other platforms and that's because it used to be exclusive in the past. Bottom line, Sony still supports Japanese devs (and more than just the 3 you mentioned) making this whole thread pointless.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-60cb3701bc83b

@louixiii: I never said that Sony would cease grtting Japanese support but outside Square Enix and Capcom, it's doubtful that we'll see them support smaller Japanese developers like before.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts
@davillain- said:

This obsession would be low on the obsession tier list on this board imo. Some have obsessions with fanbases or console owners and what they play, which is far cringier and actually against board rules here...

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1853 Posts

@davillain- said:

True. Xbox isn't doing so hot in Japan, but it's like "more on this story at 5." We already know what. The weird thing that I do have to question Microsoft on is, why are they trying so hard in Japan? I think their efforts would be better spent breaking into Europe, because the 360 was actually doing pretty well in Europe. It'll be easier to break into European markets than Japanese markets. But meh, it's their business.

@hardwenzen said:

Make a portable system can play everything on gamepass and it might actually sell more than 11 systems per week.

Maybe they can expand in Japan with their mobile devices? I just don't see how a console of theirs is going to make much ground in Japan, but I think gamepass on mobile devices might have potential.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8853 Posts

@iamdavey: It's a cultural thing in Japan. I am not belittling them for having that belief, just pointing out it's there.

The XSX could spit out gold nuggets on the hour, and more PS5s would still be sold in Japan.

Avatar image for Amin_and_Azizah
Amin_and_Azizah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40  Edited By Amin_and_Azizah
Member since 2011 • 143 Posts

😅 LOL 🤣

NOOOO....😆😀

I'm sorry but if anything they rather support Nintendo or the PC instead of Xbox. Culturally they just don't like Microsoft or the Xbox brand or any non Japanese brand. They only throw scraps at the Xbox brand but if they really had to support one outside of the PlayStation brand they're definitely going to support Nintendo or PC. I feel like most of these Japanese companies are leaning more towards the PC and mobile nowadays. However Nintendo is definitely being considered in the mix.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

Well they already have been getting a lot more Japanese games for awhile now:

- Phantasy Star Online 2

- Yakuza games

- Kingdom Heart games

- Dragon Quest XI S Definitive Edition

- Dragon Quest Builders 2

- Octopath Traveler

Those are just games that typically haven’t been on the Xbox platform before. They still get pretty good support with many other Japanese games. It’s just not about selling those games on the platform in Japan, it’s also about selling them on the platform world wide. I’m all for having more of these games on Xbox myself so I sure hope that they keep them coming.

This. Gamepass gets plenty of games from this area. It is very cool to see this new direction. I play these games on Gamepass, so it is very good for me.

LouiXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LouiXIII

@iamdavey said:

@louixiii: I never said that Sony would cease grtting Japanese support but outside Square Enix and Capcom, it's doubtful that we'll see them support smaller Japanese developers like before.

You must not understand how it all works. The hardware companies like Sony and Microsoft pay software companies like Namco and many others to have their games featured on their platforms either exclusively or non exclusively. Regardless of the exclusivity of the deal, the hardware company are paying a certain amount back to these software companies. With that being said, your initial claim was that Sony doesn't support Japanese developers anymore...which makes absolutely no sense which is why I said "you lost me" lol

Understanding the business is key. That's coming from a share holder.