XBOX Founder: If Apple so chooses, they will simply kill MS/Sony/Ninty - UPDATE

This topic is locked from further discussion.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#1 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

Link.

Apple is watching

I was a founder of the original xBox project at Microsoft and gave it its name. Almost 14 years after the painful, pointless, and idiotic internal cage-match to get it started and funded, the hard selling of a compelling and lucrative living-room product to Bill (and then Steve as he began to take over), a product that consumers would want and love and demand, I am actually still thrilled to see how far it has come, how many installed units it has, how it is crushing its original console competitors, how the brand has grown and endured, and especially how great the games have become.

But the past 5 years, and the last year in particular, have been simply painful to watch. Coasting on past momentum. Failing to innovate and failing to capitalize on innovations like Kinect. Touting strategic and market success when youre just experiencing your competitors stumbling failure (yes, Sony, Nintendo you are, Im afraid, stumbling failures). A complete lack of tactical versus strategic understanding of the long game of the living room. It culminated for me in recent coverage1 of interviews with Yusef Mehdi and Nancy Tellem and reports of the goals of a new LA xBox studio to create interactive content.

Which brings us to

Apple is already a games competitor broadly, even if Apple-TV isnt yet a game platform or a console. Mobile generally and iPad specifically have grown the total hours of game play and grown the overall game market. Only in the last 18-24mo has that overall growth turned from a segment-expanding rising tide to a tsunami swamping the console game vendor profit boats hitched to the docks. It is accelerating. Apple, if it chooses to do so, will simply kill Playstation, Wii-U and xBox by introducing an open 30%-cut app/game ecosystem for Apple-TV. I already make a lot of money on iOS I will be the first to write apps for Apple-TV when I can, and I know Ill make money. I would for xBox if I could and I knew I would make money. Maybe a console-capable Apple-TV isnt $99, maybe its $199, and add another $79 for a controller. The current numbers already say a lot, even with Apple-TV not already an open console: 5.3M sold units in 2012, 90% year-over-year growth vs. xBox 360 about 9M units in 2012, 60% YoY decline.Nat Brown

Much more in the blog post, another delicious opinion regarding the state of the traditional console industry -- and how Apple is always there, watching, waiting.... Remember what Gabe said not too long ago about the AppleTV? How interesting we get another opinion that's focused on the game console and not the PC.

Delicious.

UPDATE: Added TechCrunch article of deliciousness.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
#applehaterant /thread (saved myself from the TLDR version! :P )
Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

Angry Birds Effect incoming.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 musicalmac  Moderator
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]#applehaterant /thread (saved myself from the TLDR version! :P )

Don't mind me, just jamming my thumb into the biggest wound gamers seem to be afflicted with -- APPLE. :twisted:
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
[QUOTE="musicalmac"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]#applehaterant /thread (saved myself from the TLDR version! :P )

Don't mind me, just jamming my thumb into the biggest wound gamers seem to be afflicted with -- APPLE. :twisted:

At this point they probably can't be much worse than what we have tbh. Just hoping St Gabe saves the console industry at this point! :D
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60710 Posts
Apple certainly has the cash. Do they want to burn through a whole lot of it and risk little to no return on investment to start with? Would the board and shareholders like that? Certainly interesting to think how Apple would approach the category.
marklarmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 marklarmer
Member since 2004 • 3883 Posts

yeah sure if they can make it seem like another must-have fashion accessory.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
But apple lost the OS race in the 90's even when they had a superior product. They are not unbeatable.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#10 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

Suddenly I trust his analysis much less.

Just another short-sighted tech industry airhead who thinks Apple is omnipotent.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Apple certainly has the cash. Do they want to burn through a whole lot of it and risk little to no return on investment to start with? Would the board and shareholders like that? Certainly interesting to think how Apple would approach the category. Heil68
Apple has LOTS of money to invest, but don't think they'd seriously consider the console market unless they felt it threatens their other positions. If it made financial sense to push Apple TV in as a console, maybe with a streaming gaming service, be afraid.
TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

Apple certainly has the cash. Do they want to burn through a whole lot of it and risk little to no return on investment to start with? Would the board and shareholders like that? Certainly interesting to think how Apple would approach the category. Heil68
I would think it wouldn't even be a big burn in their pocket. Couldn't they just make the Apple TV like the Ouya, and throw in a controller and BAM. Hardly breaking the bank and I bet it would sell really well. While I don't think the Ouya, will catch on Apple has the Brand Recognition to pull it off.

NineTailedGoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NineTailedGoku
Member since 2012 • 1977 Posts

Do not want. Apple products are overpriced simply because they have an apple logo. High end android costs less than iphone yet does much more.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
But apple lost the OS race in the 90's even when they had a superior product. They are not unbeatable.DaBrainz
They've peaked in the phone and tablet market, so who knows maybe this will be their new expansion :o
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#15 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts
My simple reaction: :lol: NO! :|
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60710 Posts

[QUOTE="Heil68"]Apple certainly has the cash. Do they want to burn through a whole lot of it and risk little to no return on investment to start with? Would the board and shareholders like that? Certainly interesting to think how Apple would approach the category. TwistedShade

I would think it wouldn't even be a big burn in their pocket. Couldn't they just make the Apple TV like the Ouya, and throw in a controller and BAM. Hardly breaking the bank and I bet it would sell really well. While I don't think the Ouya, will catch on Apple has the Brand Recognition to pull it off.

That is one way to do it, but that wouldn't "destroy" the other consoles, because the games that could be played on it don't match AAA game quality and production values.
Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

[QUOTE="Heil68"]Apple certainly has the cash. Do they want to burn through a whole lot of it and risk little to no return on investment to start with? Would the board and shareholders like that? Certainly interesting to think how Apple would approach the category. blue_hazy_basic
Apple has LOTS of money to invest, but don't think they'd seriously consider the console market unless they felt it threatens their other positions. If it made financial sense to push Apple TV in as a console, maybe with a streaming gaming service, be afraid.

I think Apple has a bigger thing to worry about, Google.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Do not want. Apple products are overpriced simply because they have an apple logo. High end android costs less than iphone yet does much more.

NineTailedGoku
Android phones are pathetic. I'd rather go blackberry than touch another android. And I can't see apple going for the hardcore games market, but they could certainly prevent Sony / MS / Ninty getting the casuals.
Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
Looking at raw numbers he has a point, but then again we are back to the whole "apps" argument again, let us all know when the iOS devices allow for anything close to full traditional software/games and you may have a point. Until then I couldn't care less about angry birds, temple run and a slew of casual flash level games dominating the industry in numbers due to being on phones. really could not. While I agree with alot of his points he is on a bitter rant. nothing more. I like how google and android are ignored in this, despite google being in a far better position to network "Google TV" equivilant, and the fact that anrdoid is seeing nearly triple iOS growth.
Avatar image for -ArchAngeL-777-
-ArchAngeL-777-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 -ArchAngeL-777-
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts

No it wont.  Who's really going to care about App Store games on their TV at home?  People who wouldn't by an Xbox, PS4, or Wii-U anyway.  Does he seriously believe console gamers will put down their controllers to play iOS games instead?  Its one thing to talk on the go where its just a quick fix until they get back to the couch.  Its quite another to talk replacement.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
I already have a ridiculously expensive device to play subpar games, Mac.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
[QUOTE="NineTailedGoku"]

RR360DD
Android phones are pathetic. I'd rather go blackberry than touch another android. And I can't see apple going for the hardcore games market, but they could certainly prevent Sony / MS / Ninty getting the casuals.

How are they pathetic when they are getting consistantly the highest critic ratings and phone slike the samsung galaxy SIII is outdoing iPhones? the new blackberry? :lol: good god.
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

let's all help the indsutry and start converting more casual gamers into core gamers. You have friends that only play games on their phone then make them take the next step. Make them get hooked on Call of Duty or Dead Space 3! And start talking to them about the PS4 and next-Xbox like the second coming. Talk about the graphics and how games have become more action packed and explosive than a Michael Bay movie because the truth is that anything is better than a world with only social games.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Apple could compete with the Ouya, and the Nvidia game systems pretty easily. However I doubt they would want to throw the money into making a full scale console to compete with the big 3. Anythings possible of course, and Apple does have the money.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

appleconsole.jpg.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 musicalmac  Moderator
If it made financial sense to push Apple TV in as a console, maybe with a streaming gaming service, be afraid.blue_hazy_basic
lol, be very afraid.

let's all help the indsutry and start converting more casual gamers into core gamers. You have friends that only play games on their phone then push them to the step. Make them get hooked on Call of Duty or Dead Space 3! And start talking to them about the PS4 and next-Xbox like the second coming. Talk about the graphics and how games have become more action packed and explosive than a Michael Bay movie because the truth is that anything is better than a world with only social games.

Gue1
Dead Space on the iPad is wonderful. Beware the Apple.....
RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts
[QUOTE="RR360DD"][QUOTE="NineTailedGoku"]

MBirdy88

How are they pathetic when they are getting consistantly the highest critic ratings and phone slike the samsung galaxy SIII is outdoing iPhones? the new blackberry? :lol: good god.

Because androids UI is just incredibly ugly. Most of the phones that support it are complete crap too, including the plastic toy samsung galaxy SIII. The only well made android phone that can compete with the iphone is the Sony xperia z.
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
[QUOTE="musicalmac"] Dead Space on the iPad is wonderful. Beware the Apple.....

Don't suppose you've tried Baldur's Gate Enhanced on it have you?
Avatar image for fernandmondego_
fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 fernandmondego_
Member since 2005 • 3170 Posts
If they were to go into cloud gaming that function well with all their products, maybe they could do some damage. If they could turn cloud gaming into the next Itune...
LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

Obvious statement is obvious. Now, Apple actually wanting to invest on an industry that's on life support is an entirely different issue. 

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#31 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
People actually buy apple products for games? lol.. Android is so much better. I'd always choose a home console over any ios game system.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 musicalmac  Moderator
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="musicalmac"] Dead Space on the iPad is wonderful. Beware the Apple.....

I have not. I was planning on it, until I learned that it no longer supported the 1st gen iPad -- which is what I'm still rolling with. Reviews weren't outstanding, though, sadly...
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Until that happens, I will continue to have zero f*cks to give about anything and everything Apple does.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
[QUOTE="MBirdy88"][QUOTE="RR360DD"]Android phones are pathetic. I'd rather go blackberry than touch another android. And I can't see apple going for the hardcore games market, but they could certainly prevent Sony / MS / Ninty getting the casuals. RR360DD

Because androids UI is just incredibly ugly. Most of the phones that support it are complete crap too, including the plastic toy samsung galaxy SIII. The only well made android phone that can compete with the iphone is the Sony xperia z.

Having an opinion is one thing, but you sir are flat out wrong. The android OS can look like anything and jellybean easily looks as good as iOS as standard and offers ALOT more functionality.
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
[QUOTE="musicalmac"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="musicalmac"] Dead Space on the iPad is wonderful. Beware the Apple.....

I have not. I was planning on it, until I learned that it no longer supported the 1st gen iPad -- which is what I'm still rolling with. Reviews weren't outstanding, though, sadly...

Pants. I'm on the first gen one too ...
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 musicalmac  Moderator
Pants. I'm on the first gen one too ...blue_hazy_basic
Ha, yeah. I'd have likely purchased it otherwise.

And then I would have streamed it wirelessly to my TV and played it that way.
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]Pants. I'm on the first gen one too ...musicalmac
Ha, yeah. I'd have likely purchased it otherwise.

And then I would have streamed it wirelessly to my TV and played it that way.

Swag! :P
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
i'd like to see them try.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 musicalmac  Moderator
i'd like to see them try.BrunoBRS
lol, I'm not so sure you do. :P
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]i'd like to see them try.musicalmac

The rage threads here makes me want it ... is that wrong
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
[QUOTE="MBirdy88"][QUOTE="RR360DD"][QUOTE="MBirdy88"] How are they pathetic when they are getting consistantly the highest critic ratings and phone slike the samsung galaxy SIII is outdoing iPhones? the new blackberry? :lol: good god.

Having an opinion is one thing, but you sir are flat out wrong. The android OS can look like anything and jellybean easily looks as good as iOS as standard and offers ALOT more functionality.

As a user of both iOS6 and Ice Cream Sandwich, Android is the better OS. It allows the user to do a lot more without having to jailbreak the device.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 musicalmac  Moderator
The rage threads here makes me want it ... is that wrongblue_hazy_basic
It would usher in a brand new era on SW, a delicious one. Boy that would be special.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]i'd like to see them try.musicalmac

i mean, technically, yes, apple could market and force its way into the console market with such strength that it could take down all of the competition, but at what cost? they'd need to invest loads of money into R&D, practically force other companies to make games for them, advertise it so much that you can't look to your left without seeing an ad for it, and have it be both technologically competitive and priced low enough to get the interest of the people that invest money on sony/ninty/microsoft to the point of converting them. and the profits wouldn't start showing up until years later. they might as well invest all their money in automatic ass wipers, if they want to get rid of money so fast. also, i actually bothered reading in more detail the statement from the dude... how is nintendo a stumbling failure? i mean, you can hate them, their games and/or their systems, but that doesn't change that they've only been in the red once in their entire existence as a videogame company.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 clyde46
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]The rage threads here makes me want it ... is that wrongmusicalmac
It would usher in a brand new era on SW, a delicious one. Boy that would be special.

I think that would be the day that Cows, Lemmings and Hermits join forces to combact the Apple fanboys. I don't know which side I would take.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="musicalmac"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]The rage threads here makes me want it ... is that wrongclyde46

I think that would be the day that Cows, Lemmings and Hermits join forces to combact the Apple fanboys. I don't know which side I would take.

other than musical over here, do we even have apple fanboys?
TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]The rage threads here makes me want it ... is that wrongmusicalmac

I can see it now. Instead of spamming statistic, sale's figures, and patent threads regarding Apple in Mobile wars you could take it here.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Shame it's not going to happen given Apple are not market leaders in anything anymore.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 clyde46
[QUOTE="musicalmac"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]The rage threads here makes me want it ... is that wrongMBirdy88

Shame it's not going to happen given Apple are not market leaders in anything anymore.

Most expensive fashion items?
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts
[QUOTE="musicalmac"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]The rage threads here makes me want it ... is that wrongMBirdy88

Not even in phones or tablets? Really? I don't follow that sh!t, but I find that kind of hard to believe.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 clyde46
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="MBirdy88"][QUOTE="musicalmac"] It would usher in a brand new era on SW, a delicious one. Boy that would be special.

Not even in phones or tablets? Really? I don't follow that sh!t, but I find that kind of hard to believe.

Android has passed iOS in the most used phone OS.