xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmurnane/2018/11/20/xbox-makes-a-quiet-change-that-could-be-a-huge-leap-forward-for-backward-compatibility/amp/

The XBox BC program is continuing to impress me as a PC gamer - not least because it is looking more and more like PC gaming. Although not a user-specified mod, that's effectively what we are seeing here - not only is the old game running with better AF, etc, but actually implements new assets.

If only it had the same breadth of exclusive titles, I'd be more and more jazzed by the brand. At this point it's basically redundant with my computer, but I'll keep my eye on the platform next gen

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

‘Quiet’? There’s been plenty of BC games that have been boosted for the X1X, including a few OG Xbox BC titles.

This is old news.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@Sevenizz: I don't think you read the article. This isn't about xbox 1 enhancement per se - it's showing the software implementation of new assets. There's only so far that hardware level forced AF and resolution bumps can take an old game. Morrowind on X1X still looks like poo compared to vanilla OG PC Morrowind, let alone the game with light modding. This shows that can be changed

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

@xantufrog: My apologies. I don’t read up on Final Fantasy games as I have no interest in the franchise so I didn’t read the article verbatim. But I thought I read a while ago that some games have had assets changed to improve their performance/frame rates.

ZmanBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ZmanBarzel
Member since 2014 • 3138 Posts

The author of the Forbes piece is excited by Square swapping out movie files?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Dang, I was hoping this was news of a worthy new title dropping on the BC list by surprise.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

It's called modding.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 xantufrog  Moderator

@Gatygun: yes - I said that in the OP.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Xbox has Ghetto BC compared to a PC

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#10 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

How is that PS4 BC?

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts
@Pedro said:
@ProtossRushX said:

How is that PS4 BC?

I use my vita it has crossplay games with ps3 its great ps1 ps2 classics on my vita

PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

The real question is with all this hard work will it transfer over to new hardware. I can see this being a waste of time with half of games not working and full of glitches. You can't optimize it for hardware then expect it to work when its completely changed after. I hope im wrong and MS has built a emulator to be a permanent solution, because the original xbox emulator for the 360 was garbage.

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

@Pedro said:
@ProtossRushX said:

How is that PS4 BC?

You know what's even more important than BC, having actual new AAA exclusives, you know something Xbone one lacks, hence it failing in sales.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

@knight-k said:
@Pedro said:

How is that PS4 BC?

You know what's even more important than BC, having actual new AAA exclusives, you know something Xbone one lacks, hence it failing in sales.

Red Herring, mate.

----

OT: That's realy impressive. It'd be nice to see it on some better games, but the fact that the X1X now has the best version of FFXIII is hilarious.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3231 Posts

It's the best thing Microsoft has done this gen. And if all the rumors are true Sony will follow suite on their new console.

This is something all cows should demand. Having a console that is BC in no way should effect its ability to deliver new AAA titles. With MS buying up new Studios and Sony allowing BC in the PS5 next gen should be great.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

Nice.

If i didn't own a Gaming PC the X1X would be my system of choice because, unlike Sony and Nintendo, MS are not nickle & Diming their fans by charging us again for games i already bought on my xbox360.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts
@ProtossRushX said:
@Pedro said:
@ProtossRushX said:

How is that PS4 BC?

I use my vita it has crossplay games with ps3 its great ps1 ps2 classics on my vita

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@PCgameruk: I think it will be if the X1X is truly future compatible. They probably will use the same architecture for the Scarlett. Just need to get them games in before the next gen, if they want to dominate next gen.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

I really love what Microsoft has been doing with their backwards compatibility stuff. I very much imagine that they have been doing this to keep it going when their next system launches.

Zeggelaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Zeggelaar
Member since 2017 • 181 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:
@Pedro said:
@ProtossRushX said:

How is that PS4 BC?

I tried to play Tomb Raider 1 and 2 on my Vita, they were virtually unplayable do to horrible controls. I hope that not all the classic games run that bad.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@joebones5000: that's not really the point. Forget about this specific example, FFXIII - are there no old games you'd like to play on your PS5? And you wouldn't have an interest in the game looking better?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Pedro

@knight-k said:

If only that could change the fact that BC on the Xbox One is a pretty solid feature that is lacking on the PS4.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

Man Microsoft really hit the spot with their BC, If there's anything the other two should copy from MS it's that.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

Old news....been done in other games months ago...

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

First off, LOL FF XIII.

But seriously, the original Xbox 360 version of this game had issues because they had to cram it onto DVD's instead of blu-ray disc, this was one of those games where the 360 version was gimped. It says in the article that the Xbox One X version now takes up 30 GB, instead of 15GB, so I guess you just download the assets as they would have been if they didnt' have to be heavily compressed for DVD in the first place.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

its funny how people are bragging and comparing bc this gen. I thought over the years you guys been saying "if i wanted to play old games i would use my old system?"...AND then pcgamers still taking shots at xone like their bc still isnt good enough..lol..just odd threads,comments and opinions in here year after year..like nothing will ever be good enough.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Pedro

@VanDammFan said:

its funny how people are bragging and comparing bc this gen. I thought over the years you guys been saying "if i wanted to play old games i would use my old system?"...AND then pcgamers still taking shots at xone like their bc still isnt good enough..lol..just odd threads,comments and opinions in here year after year..like nothing will ever be good enough.

Gamers love to bitch about stuff especially when it has no effect on your gaming experience.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts
@Pedro said:
@VanDammFan said:

Gamers love to bitch about stuff especially when it has no effect on your gaming experience.

Ughh I hate how you're right about that.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@VanDammFan said:

It's a good feature advantage, esp to be able to just pop in the old game and play it at higher resolution and frame-rate than on the original platform. Still not as scaleable as PC, but it's at least a positive feature.

Hopefully this type of BC becomes the "new normal" next gen for all consoles. I'd like to see Sony let us play PS1 and PS2 classics that we had on PS3 and access them on all platforms going forward (PS4 and PS5). PS4 might have issues running PS3 games via emulation due to the cell, but PS5 should be able to run everything (PS4 natively, and everything prior via easy emulation).

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#32 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

Is this similar to the supposed Sony patent that actively changes assets while the game runs? Also related to their b/c patent.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@xantufrog said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmurnane/2018/11/20/xbox-makes-a-quiet-change-that-could-be-a-huge-leap-forward-for-backward-compatibility/amp/

The XBox BC program is continuing to impress me as a PC gamer - not least because it is looking more and more like PC gaming. Although not a user-specified mod, that's effectively what we are seeing here - not only is the old game running with better AF, etc, but actually implements new assets.

If only it had the same breadth of exclusive titles, I'd be more and more jazzed by the brand. At this point it's basically redundant with my computer, but I'll keep my eye on the platform next gen

Xbox is just a garden walled Windows PC with direct hardware access path since open source Xbox 360 emulator doesn't need Xbox's OS.

The original intent for DirectX is direct access to hardware with software API abstractions but not PC's bloated DirectX API (aka in-DirectX API). PC's Vulkan and DirectX 12 APIs makes game console emulation efficient when compared to OpenGL and DirectX11.

Xbox One's OS installation = fully managed by Microsoft.

Windows OS installation = mostly end user managed.

Surface devices are nearly-fully managed by MS since it's hardware driver updates (it's responsibility for any auto-update stuff-up) are supplied by MS. MS remote desktop fixed my Surface Pro 4's OS installation problem i.e. I don't have to do anything.

8 core Ryzen 2 powered Xbox.Next is effectively mainline X86 PC hardware with more than enough power to perform normal Windows office apps.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ronvalencia

@xantufrog said:

For FF13 on XBO, Microsoft grabbed PS3 build's art assets and "modded" Xbox 360 build.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ronvalencia

@2Chalupas said:
@VanDammFan said:

It's a good feature advantage, esp to be able to just pop in the old game and play it at higher resolution and frame-rate than on the original platform. Still not as scaleable as PC, but it's at least a positive feature.

Hopefully this type of BC becomes the "new normal" next gen for all consoles. I'd like to see Sony let us play PS1 and PS2 classics that we had on PS3 and access them on all platforms going forward (PS4 and PS5). PS4 might have issues running PS3 games via emulation due to the cell, but PS5 should be able to run everything (PS4 natively, and everything prior via easy emulation).

If PS5 has 8 core Ryzen gen 2 at mobile clock speed profile, then PS3 BC can be done.

Mobile Ryzen 5 2500U's quad core/8 threads has 8 128bit FMA3 units and 8 128bit FADD units at 3Ghz Cinebench R15 which is more enough compute power to rival paper spec CELL.