XBONE needs to flop for the sake of the gamers in the future.

• 98 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ziggyww

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ziggyww
Member since 2012 • 907 Posts

I am not liking the idea of this new xbox console it is so anti consumer and is full of restrictions and extra charges for xbox live AGAIN!!! before it was worth the money because its online gaming was a lot more smooth and had voice chat etc but all the others have caught up but still offer the service for free so Microsoft needs to show us how xbox live is better then the others this time round again and why its worth the money because I can not see any advantages to it.

All this DRM, you don't own the game just the licence to play it, no pre owned games unless you pay a fee its disgusting what they are trying to do with the gaming industry but if they succeed this will then become the norm which will only open for more restrictions and it will get worse and worse. 

Gamers need to say no at some point and this is it we need to say no to these restrictions and need to say no buy voting with our wallets. Microsoft will not fall under if their new console fails but it will force them to rethink how they treat their consumers and it will force others in the industry who will see the Xbox ONE demise and not follow down the same path.

It needs to flop for gamers rights in the future. 

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I might skip the Xbone (I have the money, but I'm on the fence waiting for E3), but I will probably get the Xbox Two/Xbox 2/Xbox 4/Xbox 1080 because that will be their return to form for gamers.

legalize82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 legalize82
Member since 2013 • 2293 Posts
u sir u hit the right button
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
The future will all be digital anyway, this stuff is going to be built in.
Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

Fight the power! Anarchy! Anarchy!

SunnyLollipop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SunnyLollipop
Member since 2012 • 46 Posts

It won't. Expect Xbox One to lead the next-generation. Just because you forum fools are against it doesn't mean nobody else is going to buy one. The amount of Halo fans alone are going to sell a few million systems - enough to get Third party support - enough to sell more systems and thus the cycle repeats until BAM - 100M units sold. I hope you have fun with your PS4 though! I know it can be exciting owning a new console for a while. I know I will love my Xbox One and have no reason not to!!

edit: I should not also that if Sony fails with the PS4 then you won't be seeing a PS5. While the same is not true IF Microsoft fails (and they won't) as Microsoft aren't exactly in bad shape as a company. Sony are losing BILLIONS every quater. They need a successful product or you PS fans aren't gona have nothing to play ! :cry:

ziggyww

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ziggyww

I might skip the Xbone, but I will probably get the Xbox Two/Xbox 2/Xbox 4/Xbox 1080 because that will be their return to form for gamers.

SolidTy
I will be doing the same if the one after is any good the same can be said for PS4 Im hoping its not going down the same path but if so I think it could be enough to get me in to PC gaming Hell even the Wii U sounds more interesting to me then the XBone
ziggyww

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ziggyww

It won't. Expect Xbox One to lead the next-generation. Just because you forum fools are against it doesn't mean nobody else is going to buy one. The amount of Halo fans alone are going to sell a few million systems - enough to get Third party support - enough to sell more systems and thus the cycle repeats until BAM - 100M units sold. I hope you have fun with your PS4 though! I know it can be exciting owning a new console for a while. I know I will love my Xbox One and have no reason not to!!

SunnyLollipop
and I hope you enjoy your Xbox ONE and shall hope that it isn't the start of more and more restrictions in the future generations because you decided to support anti consumer products and make it okay for the Xbox and publishers to have these restrictions. If people want one by all means get one I'm just fearful of what it will end up doing to the gaming industry as a whole because I couple of people can't be without Halo.
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
But some houswives needs TV
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

edit: I should not also that if Sony fails with the PS4 then you won't be seeing a PS5. While the same is not true IF Microsoft fails (and they won't) as Microsoft aren't exactly in bad shape as a company. Sony are losing BILLIONS every quater. They need a successful product or you PS fans aren't gona have nothing to play ! :cry:

SunnyLollipop

I doubt it leads. But anyway....make sure you don't whine when you don't like the future.  FYI a good business model does not keep products that fail.  Share-holders do not care that other parts of the company are solvent...they don't want loss of profit which is loss of dividends.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SolidTy

The amount of Halo fans alone are going to sell a few million systems - enough to get Third party support - enough to sell more systems and thus the cycle repeats until BAM - 100M units sold.

SunnyLollipop

There are millions upon millions of offline gamers and Halo fans worldwide that won't be able to play or buy the Xbone because of the required Broadband internet.

Consider the 360, although the install base is near 80 million, there are only half that number of total Xbox Live members (Gold and Silver= 40+ million). Half that 40+ million number are paid Xbox Live Gold members (20+ million).

These Xbox Live members are welcome to buy the Xbone, but the other half of the 360 offline install base won't be able to buy the new machine. They will have to consider instead the Wii U or PS4.

Halo 5 can't suddenly enable them to be online gamers. That's a HUGE divide in a console we've never seen in the past. If you aren't online, you aren't welcome to buy it. They don't mind that though, they've considered this. That is because they will make more profit from each Xbone owner that will pay for the smaller install base.

So, you estimate of 100M units sold is far too high considering what we learned so far about the limiting Xbone membership. I didn't even go into the negative feedback of the Anti consumer DRM, I'm just simple considering the current 360 install basewhich is heavily inflated by non-online gamers.

Now that we determined that the Xbone will have a smaller install base, those 3rd party publishers won't be able to sell that many copies of their games soley on the Xbone online mandated platform.

Go to big box retailers today, you can see these offline consumers every day buying new games for the 360, Wii, and PS3. Those people aren't going to be able to buy the Xbone as they can't use it. Just to get started on Xbone you have to sign into Xbox LIve.

King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 King_Dodongo
Member since 2006 • 3759 Posts
It will have the biggest marketing campaign out of the 3, it won't "flop" .
ziggyww

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ziggyww
It will have the biggest marketing campaign out of the 3, it won't "flop" . King_Dodongo
But do you think it shoud? it will flop if people just don't buy one.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

The Xbox 1 needs to change its ways, not flop.

SunnyLollipop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SunnyLollipop

[QUOTE="SunnyLollipop"]

The amount of Halo fans alone are going to sell a few million systems - enough to get Third party support - enough to sell more systems and thus the cycle repeats until BAM - 100M units sold.

SolidTy

There are millions upon millions of offline gamers and Halo fans worldwide that won't be able to play or buy the Xbone because of the required Broadband internet.

Consider the 360, although the install base is near 80 million, there are only half that number of total Xbox Live members (Gold and Silver). Half that number are paid Xbox Live Gold members.

These Xbox Live members are welcome to buy the Xbone, but the other half of the 360 offline install base won't be able to buy the new machine. They will have to consider instead the Wii U or PS4.

Halo 5 can't suddenly enable them to be online gamers. That's a HUGE divide in a console we've never seen in the past. If you aren't online, you aren't welcome to buy it. They don't mind that though, they've considered this. That is because they will make more profit from each Xbone owner that will pay for the smaller install base.

So, you estimate of 100M units sold is far too high considering what we learned so far about the limiting Xbone membership. I didn't even go into the negative feedback of the Anti consumer DRM, I'm just simple considering the current 360 install basewhich is heavily inflated by non-online gamers.

Now that we determined that the Xbone will have a smaller install base, those 3rd party publishers won't be able to sell that many copies of their games soley on the Xbone online mandated platform.

Go to big box retailers today, you can see these offline consumers every day buying new games for the 360, Wii, and PS3. Those people aren't going to be able to buy the Xbone as they can't use it. Just to get started on Xbone you have to sign into Xbox LIve.

TLDR?
IshmaelSonata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 IshmaelSonata
Member since 2008 • 979 Posts

SunnyLollipop

Yes by all means buy a xbox one if it makes you happy. Just know in doing so, you're supporting a company that blatantly disregards consumer choice and rgihts. Read up on Microsoft's kinetic patent and learn what it's really going to be used for. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#17 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Yes, it does. I hope MS and Publishers thinking aplying DRM learn their lesson this gen. Just hope the dudebros demographic isnt as big as I think it is...

King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 King_Dodongo
[QUOTE="King_Dodongo"]It will have the biggest marketing campaign out of the 3, it won't "flop" . ziggyww

Wether it should or not we'll see at E3, but while people here have already made their minds around it, the casual and dudebro crowd (which combined is inmense) will probably make the system stay afloat.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="SunnyLollipop"]

SunnyLollipop

Consider the 360, although the install base is near 80 million, there are only half that number of total Xbox Live members (Gold and Silver). Half that number are paid Xbox Live Gold members.

TLDR?

Online only machine won't sell to millions of offline gamers worldwide, no 100M cycle continuing.

Offline Xgamers forced to buy something else...install base of competition grows (Wii U/PS4).

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bobbetybob

Maroxad
Very true, Microsoft need to go back to the drawing board and try to make whatever ideas they have not limit the customer so much whilst giving them nothing in return. Suddenly online passes don't seem like such a bad idea.
ziggyww

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ziggyww

[QUOTE="SunnyLollipop"]

IshmaelSonata

Yes by all means buy a xbox one if it makes you happy. Just know in doing so, you're supporting a company that blatantly disregards consumer choice and rgihts. Read up on Microsoft's kinetic patent and learn what it's really going to be used for. 

Couldn't agree with you more I don't want something that is constantly watching me and constantly connected to the internet and for that to be a requirement even if the game doesn't use any of it features...it just doesn't add up. If every console comes with one fine but why does it have to be mandatory and its just another thing to break... Oh no my kinect sensor has broken so has bricked my console so I can no longer play my game...that never used the kinect sensor.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="ziggyww"][QUOTE="King_Dodongo"]It will have the biggest marketing campaign out of the 3, it won't "flop" . King_Dodongo

Wether it should or not we'll see at E3, but while people here have already made their minds around it, the casual and dudebro crowd (which combined is inmense) will probably make the system stay afloat.

The casuals are now reading the news the mainstream media is writing. If you are basing your opinion on casuals.....you'll be disappointed.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

bobbetybob
Very true, Microsoft need to go back to the drawing board and try to make whatever ideas they have not limit the customer so much whilst giving them nothing in return. Suddenly online passes don't seem like such a bad idea.

They won't do that unless they fail....
ziggyww

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ziggyww

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

bobbetybob

Is it to late though for them to change anything or make these new deals? Too little to late kinda thing

lilnazar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lilnazar
Member since 2011 • 1923 Posts

It won't flop, because clueless customers will buy this TVbox. But what it needs is a redesign. Because it's horrible.

JamDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JamDev
Member since 2013 • 992 Posts

SunnyLollipop
The negative Xbox One coverage has already spread to the main stream media. BBC, Wall Street Journal, Time, The Guardian, CNN, NBC etc are covering this, not to mention it's all over social media. It's gone way beyond "forum fools" at this point and you are severely deluded if you think that's all this is. You might be willing to put your brand loyalty ahead of your own self interest as a gamer, but most people are not that stupid. Xbox One is already a disaster, if you are still clinging to the idea that the One is going to be a success then you are in for a rude awakening. (Hope this was short enough for you to read)
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LJS9502_basic

It won't flop, because clueless customers will buy this TVbox. But what it needs is a redesign. Because it's horrible.

lilnazar
This is a silly argument. As we saw with the PS3.....business practices hurt sales. The PS3 struggled for the first few years......and that was on the heals of the Playstation name....which is a bigger brand name than Xbox.
ziggyww

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ziggyww
[QUOTE="SunnyLollipop"]

JamDev
The negative Xbox One coverage has already spread to the main stream media. BBC, Wall Street Journal, Time, The Guardian, CNN, NBC etc are covering this, not to mention it's all over social media. It's gone way beyond "forum fools" at this point and you are severely deluded if you think that's all this is. You might be willing to put your brand loyalty ahead of your own self interest as a gamer, but most people are not that stupid. Xbox One is already a disaster, if you are still clinging to the idea that the One is going to be a success then you are in for a rude awakening. (Hope this was short enough for you to read)

My dad who owns a console and plays a little bit when as he puts it nothing buy crap is on the TV or his wife is watching some soap drama he often plays a game...badly but plays now and then. He even texted me out of the blue saying he thought the new xbox looked awful after seeing it on the news.
IshmaelSonata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 IshmaelSonata

[QUOTE="IshmaelSonata"]

ziggyww

Couldn't agree with you more I don't want something that is constantly watching me and constantly connected to the internet and for that to be a requirement even if the game doesn't use any of it features...it just doesn't add up. If every console comes with one fine but why does it have to be mandatory and its just another thing to break... Oh no my kinect sensor has broken so has bricked my console so I can no longer play my game...that never used the kinect sensor.

It's not just watching you, the Kinetic is specifically collecting information on consumer electronic use behavior and sending such reports to promotional agencies. This is word for word true from MS's kinetic patent.

So not only are you being watched, MS is making money off your private life. That is just despicable. There's no way that I will support such a company. 

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 bobbetybob

[QUOTE="bobbetybob"][QUOTE="Maroxad"]

ziggyww

Is it to late though for them to change anything or make these new deals? Too little to late kinda thing

...the console hasn't even come out yet, of course it's possible. Though as LJ said, there's no real reason to do it unless the console comes out and fails. The only thing that might sway them beforehand is overwhelmingly negative press. If it reaches tons of new sources and even your average gamer knows about it that will spread by word of mouth pretty quickly and could lead to people moving towards a PS4 (if they don't do the same thing). After all your average gamer probably doesn't care about exclusives, Microsofts "aiming at the general audience" reveal conference was a good example of that, they care about sports games and CoD and the PS4 gets those games too.
JamDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JamDev
Member since 2013 • 992 Posts
[QUOTE="lilnazar"]

LJS9502_basic
This is a silly argument. As we saw with the PS3.....business practices hurt sales. The PS3 struggled for the first few years......and that was on the heals of the Playstation name....which is a bigger brand name than Xbox.

Yeah this brand loyalty thing only goes so far. PS2 sold 150m units but that didn't stop the PS3 from struggling to get off the ground and dropping a huge chunk of market share. Not to mention the 100m Wii owners that have so far shown zero interest in the Wii U.
ziggyww

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ziggyww

[QUOTE="ziggyww"][QUOTE="IshmaelSonata"]

IshmaelSonata

It's not just watching you, the Kinetic is specifically collecting consumer electronic use behavior and sending such information to promotional agencies.

So not only are you being watched, MS is making money off your private life. That is just despicable. There's no way that I will support such a company. 

I heard this like it can recognise your face animations and heart rate so it can create data based on what you find funny, scare etc and sell you information off while you see no profits yourselves. Its looking more and more like a way for them to create a database to sell to other agencies to make money from you while you pay them...seems pretty backwards and would also explain why the kinect sensor which is needed to play games is being forced as a always connected requirement. another reason not to get this horrid device.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d7fb49ded561
deactivated-5d7fb49ded561

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5d7fb49ded561
Member since 2010 • 4019 Posts

Well no need to worry there because it will flop

King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 King_Dodongo
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="King_Dodongo"][QUOTE="ziggyww"] But do you think it shoud? it will flop if people just don't buy one.

The casuals are now reading the news the mainstream media is writing. If you are basing your opinion on casuals.....you'll be disappointed.

Only time will tell. Remember, these are the guys who paid Oprah to sell lots of Xboxes and Kinects, along with other tactics , so good marketing could do that much for overall numbers. That, and some good deals.
McSkombi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 McSkombi
Member since 2006 • 842 Posts

I am not liking the idea of this new xbox console it is so anti consumer and is full of restrictions and extra charges for xbox live AGAIN!!! before it was worth the money because its online gaming was a lot more smooth and had voice chat etc but all the others have caught up but still offer the service for free so Microsoft needs to show us how xbox live is better then the others this time round again and why its worth the money because I can not see any advantages to it.

All this DRM, you don't own the game just the licence to play it, no pre owned games unless you pay a fee its disgusting what they are trying to do with the gaming industry but if they succeed this will then become the norm which will only open for more restrictions and it will get worse and worse. 

Gamers need to say no at some point and this is it we need to say no to these restrictions and need to say no buy voting with our wallets. Microsoft will not fall under if their new console fails but it will force them to rethink how they treat their consumers and it will force others in the industry who will see the Xbox ONE demise and not follow down the same path.

It needs to flop for gamers rights in the future. 

ziggyww
You hit the nail on the head my friend!
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

There are many who won't care and will buy an XB1 anyway. When Windows XP first came out, there were a lot of outcries against its install conditions, including privacy concerns. Yet, XP sold very well. Similar install conditions have spread to most of Microsoft's other (PC) software products and now, no one gives a second thought about it. I'm sure there will be similarly minded people who will buy the XB1 so long as it has the games they want.

SunnyLollipop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SunnyLollipop

There are many who won't care and will buy an XB1 anyway. When Windows XP first came out, there were a lot of outcries against its install conditions, including privacy concerns. Yet, XP sold very well. Similar install conditions have spread to most of Microsoft's other (PC) software products and now, no one gives a second thought about it. I'm sure there will be similarly minded people who will buy the XB1 so long as it has the games they want.

jun_aka_pekto

This is basically it for me. The privacy stuff is a load of crap, MS are using Kinect 2.0 so that it has features all the time, cool stuff... like saying "xbox on" and the xbox just turns on! No need to stand up anymore (just kidding). But when it comes down to it, Xbox ONE has the better exclusives and the better online features. Plus Kinect 2.0 for all the cool games that'll work this time. I am so hyped for Xbox and all my friends are buying one too. Maybe that's why they call it ONE... everybody will buy one! Also nobody knows what PS4 is doing in regards to DRM - their statements are old, and now they are saying it is up to publishers! So yeah... right... companies like Capcom and EA aren't gonna add some sort of DRM? Yeah, maybe in fairytale world.

strawhatlupi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 strawhatlupi
Member since 2008 • 869 Posts
the xbox 360 sale figures is misleading if you want to make it as a basis for "actually owned operating xbox 360" many owner bought multiple 360s because of RROD.
strawhatlupi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 strawhatlupi

jun_aka_pekto
unlike xbone, windows have the monopoly in the OS. it doesn't have any legitimate competition consumers will be attracted to. the case is not the same for xbone as there are significant players other than MS
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

[QUOTE="bobbetybob"][QUOTE="Maroxad"]

LJS9502_basic

They won't do that unless they fail....

Not at all,

The 360 was very successful, but it still ended up using and getting a strong emphasis on motion controls due to the success of the Wii. Similarily, If MS does ok enough to stay afloat but nowhere near as good as Sony (who is without a doubt going to advertise their lack of DRM as well as they can), MS might see that the consumer does not want DRM.

Sometimes just having a much more successful competitor is enough to sway someone to change ways.

The XBONE needs to stay afloat (but hopefully do the worst of the 3), say what you will of Microsoft, but they do provide Nintendo and Sony with competition.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts

I will probably get the Xbox Two/Xbox 2/Xbox 4/Xbox 1080 because that will be their return to form for gamers.

SolidTy
I hate to break it you and the rest of system wars, but five years from now there will be no such thing as a games console, and no company will be exclusively tailoring their products to 'gamers'. There will be more or less no such thing as a 'gamer'.
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
I wonder if when electricity was in 75% of homes and was as stable today's internet is, people were saying any device requiring electricity was an anti-consumer product designed to make you a slave to the power grid. Now we can look back at them and laugh at their idiocy because clearly electricity is kinda a big deal and it would totally suck to not have it. By the time the X1 is done with, we'll look back at these times and laugh at how stupid it was to get mad about a device highly integrating the amazing resource that is the internet. [QUOTE="strawhatlupi"]the xbox 360 sale figures is misleading if you want to make it as a basis for "actually owned operating xbox 360" many owner bought multiple 360s because of RROD.

That's irrelevant. Just means it was so good people purchased another one rather than kicking the system to the curb after it was discovered to be poorly made.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

strawhatlupi

unlike xbone, windows have the monopoly in the OS. it doesn't have any legitimate competition consumers will be attracted to. the case is not the same for xbone as there are significant players other than MS

There are alternatives whether people regard them as legitimate or not. There are those who will gravitate toward XB1 exclusives regardless of what the PS4 and WiiU have to offer.

IshmaelSonata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 IshmaelSonata

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

I will probably get the Xbox Two/Xbox 2/Xbox 4/Xbox 1080 because that will be their return to form for gamers.

Ninja-Hippo

I hate to break it you and the rest of system wars, but five years from now there will be no such thing as a games console, and no company will be exclusively tailoring their products to 'gamers'. There will be more or less no such thing as a 'gamer'.

ANd why do you say that? It's a very interesting position to take, since more and more people are gaming today than a decade ago, the growth of E-sports has been tremendous.

strawhatlupi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 strawhatlupi
[QUOTE="Senor_Kami"]I wonder if when electricity was in 75% of homes and was as stable today's internet is, people were saying any device requiring electricity was an anti-consumer product designed to make you a slave to the power grid. Now we can look back at them and laugh at their idiocy because clearly electricity is kinda a big deal and it would totally suck to not have it. By the time the X1 is done with, we'll look back at these times and laugh at how stupid it was to get mad about a device highly integrating the amazing resource that is the internet. [QUOTE="strawhatlupi"]the xbox 360 sale figures is misleading if you want to make it as a basis for "actually owned operating xbox 360" many owner bought multiple 360s because of RROD.

That's irrelevant. Just means it was so good people purchased another one rather than kicking the system to the curb after it was discovered to be poorly made.

"good"? not necessarily, you do know that xbox 360 games are tied to the xbox 360 system. unless owner whos 360 got RROD don't mind having their 360 game collection turned into crappy paper weight, they are force to reinvest to buy another unreliableunit.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

SunnyLollipop

This brings up a point.  The people that visit gaming sites are the people upset the most.  This is a lot of people.  More people than youd think.  The other people are the people that buy consoles because its simple.  They buy the box, walk down an isle and buy some games based on what looks appealing/whats being touted as "hot" through advertising.  This second crowd might have ZERO knowledge of all the restrictions, drm, etc around the Xbox One. 

I can realistically see the crowd, the ones not reading everything online, taking the console home and saying to themselves, "WTF?"  That would lead to the WORST possible scenerio for MS; when people are buying it on the assumption that it is plug-and-play, essentially what a game console is.  I think this thing is fcked--TIME Magazine is even doing articles on the dang thing.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"][QUOTE="SolidTy"]

IshmaelSonata

ANd on why do you say that? It's a very interesting position to take, since more and more people are gaming today than a decade ago, the growth of E-sports has been tremendous.

Because the market has clearly changed and is clearly heading in one direction and gaming is the last entertainment medium to pack its bags and start going there. Movies and music were once services that were provided for a fee. You paid for a ticket and you could go and see a band perform or a film played at the cinema. The industry then decided it would let you purchase your own copies of these things to keep for yourself. That is something that it profoundly regrets.

Music, TV and movies have already moved back towards entertainment as a service, not a product that you can buy and own. Netflix, iTunes, Kindle, Sky - they're all already there. Gaming is going there too. The industry wants its property back. It wants everything stores to a cloud that it will allow you access to in exchange for a subscription fee. The days of you actually owning pieces of entertainment are numbered. From now on it will be a service that is provisioned to you.

That's point number one. But point number two - gaming is completely unsustainable. Gamers need to get a grip on reality. Right now they want Microsoft and Sony to produce a box which has cutting-edge graphics which is tailor made exclusively to gamers. They want it to have better graphics than the PC, they will complain if it endeavours to appeal to a broader audience other than themselves, they refuse to pay more than $400 for it and when they do buy one they'd prefer to buy the games second hand. Nintendo already figured out years ago that it cant keep going on like that with better graphics which cost more and more to produce and take bigger and bigger hits on losses in making the hardware.

While Nintendo have solved the problem by trying to scale back the graphical expectations, Microsoft are clearly trying to solve the problem by opening up the market to something much broader than just games. They've already said it will be the last console they ever make, and I believe them.

Games are everywhere now. They're in your phone, on your iPad, you can download them on your smart TV. People just dont want to go out and pay $500 for another box to play a slightly better looking version of Madden any more.

metal_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 metal_zombie
Member since 2004 • 2288 Posts

It needs to be the biggest product failure since new coke that way no hardware or publisher thinks of making the same mistake ever again

new_coke_2.jpg

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jun_aka_pekto

Besides, gamers have been giving up their rights anyway. I for one preferred LAN gaming on the PC because of the freedom to set up any multiplayer without the need for online access or having to use corporate servers not under my control. Once LAN multiplayer was dropped and replaced by online gaming, I quit multiplayer out of principle. Yet, no one else seems to care. They gladly took up online MP. So now, all this talk about freedoms being curtailed (by the XB1) is just a sham. Gamers already have been giving up their freedoms.   

strawhatlupi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 strawhatlupi

Besides, gamers have been giving up their rights anyway. I for one preferred LAN gaming on the PC because of the freedom to set up any multiplayer without the need for online access or having to use corporate servers not under my control. Once LAN multiplayer was dropped and replaced by online gaming, I quit multiplayer out of principle. Yet, no one else seems to care. They gladly took up online MP. So now, all this talk about freedoms being curtailed (by the XB1) is just a sham. Gamers already have been giving up their freedoms.   

jun_aka_pekto
that is because quitting is the only option you have. if MS competitors realized that there are demand for a DRM-free/offline-independent gaming system and supply it, people have a choice to reject anti-consumer policies without sacrificing their hobbies.