Xbone is in danger (Balmer Speaks)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

http://www.geekwire.com/2013/final-shareholder-speech-ballmer-defends-bing-xbox-key-parts-microsoft/

did mr balmer felt the need to defend the xbone ? probably loads of internal talking... uhh ohh

a multi billion dollar company lemmings love to brag about just placed the xbone on thin ice! Xbone launch better be really good or this story will be a no brainer!

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

Indeed, could be the last Xbox we see.

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

Well, having to blow over $1billion on X360 RROD repairs, wasting $100 million on the Xbone controller R&D and picking the wrong hardware for Next Gen doesn't bode well for the future.

SirBrandt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SirBrandt
Member since 2013 • 64 Posts

@Suppaman100 said:

Let's hope so, let another company take Microsoft's place and provide real competition for Sony

Evo_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Evo_nine
Member since 2012 • 2224 Posts

@sirbrandt said:

@Suppaman100 said:

Let's hope so, let another company take Microsoft's place and provide real competition for Sony

Careful what you wish for....

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

Xbox Brand won't die - Valve or Google will buy it and just repackage it.

Just PRAY Electronic Arts or Activision doesn't buy it and control the console.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@Netherscourge said:

oh god no. Oo

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

They will it's practically the codbox already. Just think Activision buys X bone and then cod goes exclusive and all the yolobros buy one and disappear. Could be the best thing to ever happen to online gaming.

Draign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Draign
Member since 2013 • 1824 Posts

Launch is sold out, 2nd wave will be TitanFall - system seller, 3rd wave will be next gen Halo. You people wanting opposition to go the way of the dreamcast are birdbrains.

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts

I just hope who they sell xbox brand to can make competent 1st party so there is competition.

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

@draign said:

Launch is sold out, 2nd wave will be TitanFall - system seller, 3rd wave will be next gen Halo. You people wanting opposition to go the way of the dreamcast are birdbrains.

The Wii U sold out at launch too. What's your point? TitanFall is coming to 360/PC and 343 ruined Halo.

Hmm..

PraetorianMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PraetorianMan
Member since 2011 • 2073 Posts

@Netherscourge said:

*hurk*

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

@sirbrandt said:

@Suppaman100 said:

Xbox was the only brand that ever challenged Sony head-to-head.

That's the reason the PS4, in its entirety, is based on the design of the Xbox.

Anyone who likes the PS4 should be thankful that Microsoft is around. Without Microsoft we'd still have the Sony of 2006.

With that said, if Microsoft leaves the industry, I really doubt any other companies would make a console. It's never been a really profitable market for anyone outside of Nintendo.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@Mr-Kutaragi said:

I just hope who they sell xbox brand to can make competent 1st party so there is competition.

Is that why the PS3 landed in 3rd this gen, lost HUGE market share and was forced to change the way it made consoles (see PS4)? Yeah I guess that isn't competition.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kingtito

@Zophar87 said:

@draign said:

The Wii U sold out at launch too. What's your point? TitanFall is coming to 360/PC and 343 ruined Halo.

Hmm..

It'll be a system seller for the XOne is what he's saying. By the time it comes out millions of Ones will have been sold and probably milions more because of it.

That would be your opinion. I happened to like Halo 4.

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

@kingtito said:

@Zophar87 said:

@draign said:

Hmm..

It'll be a system seller for the XOne is what he's saying. By the time it comes out millions of Ones will have been sold and probably milions more because of it.

I understand that. But it most likely won't be the system seller that people are expecting.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kingtito

@Zophar87 said:

@kingtito said:

@Zophar87 said:

@draign said:

Hmm..

I understand that. But it most likely won't be the system seller that people are expecting.

Why not? I'm curious why you think it wouldn't? I think it will although I'll be getting it for the PC.

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mr-Kutaragi

@treedoor said:

I see lemming keep repeating this. Why would PS4 be design on last place no game 360 hahah? What console adding blu ray this gen? What system having xbox eyetoy? Adding gold game program to compete with PS plus game program? Sony announce console and features before MS, in fact MS delay reveal because having to change and react to PS4 reveal. Then, doing so many 180 on use game and other feature to immitate PS4.

I agree competition make each system better, both system use other feature but MS is king of copy and contributes least of all console in innovation. I do not want xbox to die but future is not so bright with stockholder and CEO candidate and analyst .

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@draign said:

It's an internal issue and has nothing to do with what anyone "wants".

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

@lglz1337:

you should copy paste .... for easy reading

Merex760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Merex760
Member since 2008 • 4381 Posts

Wouldn't be surprised to see Microsoft unload Xbox and Bing

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kingtito

@Mr-Kutaragi said:

@treedoor said:

I see lemming keep repeating this. Why would PS4 be design on last place no game 360 hahah? What console adding blu ray this gen? What system having xbox eyetoy? Adding gold game program to compete with PS plus game program? Sony announce console and features before MS, in fact MS delay reveal because having to change and react to PS4 reveal. Then, doing so many 180 on use game and other feature to immitate PS4.

I agree competition make each system better, both system use other feature but MS is king of copy and contributes least of all console in innovation. I do not want xbox to die but future is not so bright with stockholder and CEO candidate and analyst .

Please, no more than 1 - 2 sentences at a time. It's hard enough with paragraphs of your horrible writing.

BTW PS3 ended in 3rd while losing tons of market share. MS gained market share and made the Xbox a house hold name. You'll ignore all facts as usual because you're just a troll, a bad troll at that.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4862 Posts

Not happening. Its the center of their entertainment hub and very central to their convergence effort. That goes double since Apple is said to be buying the original maker of the Kinect hardware. Apple and Google are about to attack for control of the living room. Their main is M$. There is nothing they would like more than for M$ to drop the brand. Not happening.

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mr-Kutaragi

@kingtito said:

@Mr-Kutaragi said:

@treedoor said:

Please, no more than 1 - 2 sentences at a time. It's hard enough with paragraphs of your horrible writing.

BTW PS3 ended in 3rd while losing tons of market share. MS gained market share and made the Xbox a house hold name. You'll ignore all facts as usual because you're just a troll, a bad troll at that.

Butthurt lem come back for more ass spanking? When do last generation end, because lemming hope so? Hahhaha, ps3 and 360 still selling, just 360 selling less. PS3 sell more than 360 in NA on Sept. month, 360s only leading market. How can you precious last place box catch up if not crushing ps3 in NA? Even MS admits top console in US only, not worldwide. TLHBO.

Do not worry, maybe Xbox can claim 2nd place this gen. Still only console maker of 3 never to win 1st place, and always behind Sony every gen. No surpise going to sell off brand. Ouch.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

@lglz1337 said:

http://www.geekwire.com/2013/final-shareholder-speech-ballmer-defends-bing-xbox-key-parts-microsoft/

did mr balmer felt the need to defend the xbone ? probably loads of internal talking... uhh ohh

a multi billion dollar company lemmings love to brag about just placed the xbone on thin ice! Xbone launch better be really good or this story will be a no brainer!

Actually no, he was at a shareholder meeting which means that he was speaking before the board which he sits and will remain. He is also a major shareholder in the company still.

Meanwhile over in Sony's camp Kaz is holding a meeting to find out which bills to pay and which ones to fire.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

He needs to go,

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

@Heil68 said:

He needs to go,

Balmer is one of the longest tenured CEOs in the modern age of technology. While I agree that he needs to go its not because he has not done a great job running the company.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

I think it's important for MS to have other ventures for options in the long run if it's PC OS and software markets tighten, luckily that market hasn't contracted as bad as people once thought but there's no saying what's on the horizon. Furthermore I do worry that a new CEO might be a vampire CEO, pne that might cut these services to bring short term gain to the company and as a result get compensated handsomely through stock option compensation and executive bonuses, while threatening the long term viability of the company for his own personal gain.

MS has been at the forefront of changing the centralization of the home entertainment market to incorporate online options, merge gaming, television, internet, video communication; to forfeit where that might lead might be a huge mistake.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kingtito

@Mr-Kutaragi said:

@kingtito said:

@Mr-Kutaragi said:

@treedoor said:

Butthurt lem come back for more ass spanking? When do last generation end, because lemming hope so? Hahhaha, ps3 and 360 still selling, just 360 selling less. PS3 sell more than 360 in NA on Sept. month, 360s only leading market. How can you precious last place box catch up if not crushing ps3 in NA? Even MS admits top console in US only, not worldwide. TLHBO.

Do not worry, maybe Xbox can claim 2nd place this gen. Still only console maker of 3 never to win 1st place, and always behind Sony every gen. No surpise going to sell off brand. Ouch.

I'm butthurt? Last gen ends when the new one starts idiot. The WiiU started last gen and as of the last official numbers the 360 was still ahead even if by a few and since Sony combined numbers with PS2 sales for so long we'll never know the real numbers. The PS3 outsold the 360 1 month out of the last 36+ and you're proud of that? What happened the month after? Yeah that's what I thought, you're a complete moron trolling cow without a lick of sense or logic. All you ever do is post fanboy drivel never once adding anything meaningful to a conversation.

Might as well keep posting since you couldn't possible make yourself look any dumber.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@lglz1337 said:

a multi billion dollar company lemmings love to brag about just placed the xbone on thin ice!

When?

Scipio8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Scipio8
Member since 2013 • 937 Posts

This thread has so much fail in it, one could mistake it for the ps4

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#34  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Zophar87 said:

@draign said:

Hmm..

Just finished halo 4 again and no. Great game, will still sell. Yes titanfall is coming to PC. I know we see it our way, but most average consumers aren't PC gamers. They game, if they do, on consoles. Titanfall will be big for X1.

CloudStrife213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CloudStrife213
Member since 2006 • 430 Posts

How is it in danger when Ballmer said defends both Bing and Xbox One are key parts of Microsoft, and considers them essential to Microsoft?

There is a possibility I guess if Elop becomes CEO, and there might be internal talks, but the fact that Ballmer is defending the brand adds credibility to the idea that Microsoft won't sell Xbox and Bing. Also, if they really wanted to sell it, why release and rush the Xbox One?

Quote from article:

In his final speech as CEO at a Microsoft shareholder meeting, outgoing CEO Steve Ballmer fired a shot across the bow of those who are rumored to be thinking of splitting the company into component parts and selling some of them.

Xbox One is “a reflection of what is possible when a company, our company, is unified under a common vision,” Ballmer said. He also noted that Bing is key to helping test and improve the company’s Windows Azure service.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/11/19/xbox-is-an-essential-piece-of-the-new-microsoft-pie-says-departing-ceo-steve-ballmer/

The danger is if Elop becomes CEO and decides to spin off the Xbox and Bing brand. But he has not been named CEO, he is only an external choice candidate. But in the end, it is up to the board to decide, not Elop.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#36 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

"Videogames just don't have the market capitalization to keep a mega corp like MS interested."

This is the only reason I could see them spinning off the Xbox division and refocusing on the other tenets of their core business (i.e. driving or developing a mobile OS to topple iOS, because W8 is doing a terrible a$$ job of it so far). But, IMHO, forfeiting the ground they've gained and abandoning a new medium of entertainment that they're helping to define is not the direction I would take.

Zoso813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Zoso813
Member since 2013 • 310 Posts

They should sell the Xbox division to Samsung, imo. And lol @ the poster who said CoDbox. That does seem like something Activision would do.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

@Basinboy said:

"Videogames just don't have the market capitalization to keep a mega corp like MS interested."

This is the only reason I could see them spinning off the Xbox division and refocusing on the other tenets of their core business (i.e. driving or developing a mobile OS to topple iOS, because W8 is doing a terrible a$$ job of it so far). But, IMHO, forfeiting the ground they've gained and abandoning a new medium of entertainment that they're helping to define is not the direction I would take.

They just need to change the Xbox.

If "Xbox" was simply a certification of sorts, or maybe if the Xbox was just a limited Windows PC with only access to the Windows store, then it'd fit in with the rest of the company.

Instead it's just its own entity separate from Windows. It'd be amazing if you could buy an Xbox for the home theater setup that has access to all the media/games/software that finds its way onto the Windows store (yeah, even something like Power Point).

Then set up a certification process for PC hardware vendors that lets people know if a laptop/desktop PC is capable of running Xbox games. If it has the Xbox logo on the box, it'll run Xbox games. I'm sure that'd be a huge boost to PC sales.

And then with Windows phone try to get an architecture like the Xbox/PC (obviously lower end though) that could potentially play Xbox Live games, among other software.

Instead they just don't do this, or anything remotely similar. It's too late for the Xbox One given the architecture it uses with that ESRAM, and whatnot, but maybe at some point MS will change their strategy (or just exit the console business).

They have so much potential to get people to buy new PCs, smartphones, and their Xbox if they were all connected to each other. Instead they're all separate things for the most part.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

Well 360 did become profitable in 2008, but the XBox division as a whole since 2001 is still in the red by billions.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#40 Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

@treedoor said:

@sirbrandt said:

@Suppaman100 said:

Anyone who likes the PS4 should be thankful that Microsoft is around. Without Microsoft we'd still have the Sony of 2006.

With that said, if Microsoft leaves the industry, I really doubt any other companies would make a console. It's never been a really profitable market for anyone outside of Nintendo.

I wish someone challenged nintendo

They are still stuck in 1999, that even includes there online mode.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#41 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

@treedoor said:

@Basinboy said:

They just need to change the Xbox.

If "Xbox" was simply a certification of sorts, or maybe if the Xbox was just a limited Windows PC with only access to the Windows store, then it'd fit in with the rest of the company.

Instead it's just its own entity separate from Windows. It'd be amazing if you could buy an Xbox for the home theater setup that has access to all the media/games/software that finds its way onto the Windows store (yeah, even something like Power Point).

Then set up a certification process for PC hardware vendors that lets people know if a laptop/desktop PC is capable of running Xbox games. If it has the Xbox logo on the box, it'll run Xbox games. I'm sure that'd be a huge boost to PC sales.

And then with Windows phone try to get an architecture like the Xbox/PC (obviously lower end though) that could potentially play Xbox Live games, among other software.

Instead they just don't do this, or anything remotely similar. It's too late for the Xbox One given the architecture it uses with that ESRAM, and whatnot, but maybe at some point MS will change their strategy (or just exit the console business).

They have so much potential to get people to buy new PCs, smartphones, and their Xbox if they were all connected to each other. Instead they're all separate things for the most part.

I agree, I think they'd have been better served to do this from the beginning. MS has missed out on the growing PC gaming market, a mistake on which Valve has capitalized and exploited.

mtradr43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mtradr43
Member since 2005 • 5272 Posts

Like I keep saying ps has lost sony more money than xbox has lost ms. Since ms gains money every month while sony has to sell buildings to stay afloat id say sony is in way more trouble.

insanegame377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By insanegame377
Member since 2013 • 392 Posts

Its silly that people are going on about the death of Xbox One even though it hasn't been released yet. Both consoles will be fine, and I actually expect Xbox One to sell more than PS4 over the Christmas period, due to the fact that its had more exposure, and it'll be the console of choice for casuals and CoD/FIFA players. PS4 will come into it's own as the gen progresses.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@draign said:

13 countries and supply constrained,any one can do that,now 1 million in 2 countries in 24 hours yeah tha is something else.

Locutus_Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Locutus_Picard
Member since 2004 • 4159 Posts

@Evo_nine said:

@sirbrandt said:

@Suppaman100 said:

Careful what you wish for....

SEGA

**** american capitalist pig consoles.