WSJ: Next Playstation positioning itself for hardcore gamers next gen

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#1 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4908 posts) -

No Indiestation jokes for next gen (still love ya, indies), but Sony is going big and working with third party publishers closer than ever before. So hopefully this mean more exclusive games from big pubs (good) and less exclusive content (bad) for next gen.

Sony sees Microsoft as its main competitor in the next generation, with Google a potential threat in the mid- to long-term as internet technology advances, one company official said. Nintendo Co. isn’t perceived as a major rival, the person said, because its main users tend to be younger than PlayStation’s core demographic...

... A second Sony official said the company believes people buy a videogame console to play graphics-heavy games.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/sony-positions-next-playstation-for-hard-core-gamers-11561800603

Oooh, that sounds like shots fired to me. Not making a $500 box just to play subscription service filler and last gen games, or sacrificing everything for portability. Sony sounds like they want to put out a great box and have the games to show for it. It's on, baby!

#2 Posted by PC_Rocks (2556 posts) -

Sony games and hardcore gamers.

#3 Posted by Basinboy (13916 posts) -

Think of teh graphix

#4 Posted by Sushiglutton (7264 posts) -

Seems natural after what happened at the beginning of last gen (Sony focusing on core gamers and MS on those who don't really like games). So basically they are just continuing the strategy that worked well last time (and why wouldn't they).

It sounds like there is some shift though in terms of resourcing being more directed towards bigger projects. Not sure what that means in practice?

#5 Posted by I_P_Daily (12334 posts) -

... A second Sony official said the company believes people buy a videogame console to play graphics-heavy games.

Hardcore gamers on the Playstation....

#6 Posted by Pedro (35465 posts) -

"..A second Sony official said the company believes people buy a videogame console to play graphics-heavy movies."

I fixed the typo. ;)

#7 Edited by Sushiglutton (7264 posts) -

@i_p_daily said:

Do you think people primarily buy a playstation to play game like Uncharted and God of War, or to play games like Resogun and Shovel knight (nothing against those two fine titles)?

#8 Edited by AJStyles (1023 posts) -

@Sushiglutton: I buy a PlayStation because I have the option to play all those games you listed.

PlayStation dominates in games every gen. Awesome exclusives, best 3rd party and all the indies. All you need is PlayStation if you are a REAL gamer.

#9 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4908 posts) -
@i_p_daily said:

Don't you already have morphine to ease the pain of having to deal with garbage box.

"Let's see, what Forza game am I going to have to play today?"

So many choices!

@Pedro said:

"..A second Sony official said the company believes people buy a videogame console to play graphics-heavy movies."

I fixed the typo. ;)

- Butthurt dude who only owns an Xbox console. Hey, you chose loyalty over games so you better hold that bitterness into next gen too.

#10 Posted by Sushiglutton (7264 posts) -

@ajstyles said:

@Sushiglutton: I buy a PlayStation because I have the option to play all those games you listed.

PlayStation dominates in games every gen. Awesome exclusives, best 3rd party and all the indies. All you need is PlayStation if you are a REAL gamer.

My point was just that when people decide whether to buy a console or not it's primarily the graphics intensive games that matter.

#11 Posted by Pedro (35465 posts) -

@BenjaminBanklin said:

- Butthurt dude who only owns an Xbox console. Hey, you chose loyalty over games so you better hold that bitterness into next gen too.

When you have no counter you rely on falsehood. LMAO.

#12 Posted by XVision84 (16328 posts) -

Can't wait to see what they have to show at PSX!

#13 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4908 posts) -

@Pedro said:

When you have no counter you rely on falsehood. LMAO.

Bought a PS4 pro... doesn't even want it. Xbox dudes are weird. Sony appreciates your patronage anyway.

#14 Posted by DeepH (745 posts) -
@BenjaminBanklin said:

Bought a PS4 pro... doesn't even want it. Xbox dudes are weird. Sony appreciates your patronage anyway.

Everyone owns a playstation even people that hate Sony, thats why they dominate.

#15 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4908 posts) -
@deeph said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

Everyone owns a playstation even people that hate Sony, thats why they dominate.

LOL! I noticed.

They all hate Sony, but buy all the games and rarely touch their Xboxes... then argue with Sony fans endlessly about "movie games" and shit. All the while helping Sony to stay on top. These people are ridiculous. 🤣

#16 Posted by tormentos (29236 posts) -

@pc_rocks said:

Define what a hardcore gamer is this should give us some lols.

This is one definition i laugh some times when only atribute to a certain fanbase.

#17 Posted by DeepH (745 posts) -
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@deeph said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

LOL! I noticed.

They all hate Sony, but buy all the games and rarely touch their Xboxes... then argue with Sony fans endlessly about "movie games" and shit. All the while helping Sony to stay on top. These people are ridiculous. 🤣

Yeah, quite weird. Sony players are at least more consistent than that in my experience and dont buy the shit they are trashtalking.

#Sonyfansbestfans

#18 Posted by phbz (4587 posts) -

This is going to be the end of PlayStation. We all know how much cows despise exclusive deals with 3rd party developers.

#19 Posted by pyro1245 (5157 posts) -

lol....

Yeah I'll believe that when the games actually run well.

#20 Posted by Xabiss (2853 posts) -

Next gen is going to be fun and I do think Sony will be on top again if Microsoft can't figure out the exclusive thing. They do matter and I think Nintendo and Sony have proved that this gen.

#21 Posted by Calvincfb (0 posts) -

As long as the games are good, I'm all for it. And Indies will be there, of course.

#22 Posted by Fedor (5269 posts) -

Hardcore gamers need Knack 3 on release.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
#23 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (10060 posts) -

Early adopters are hardcore / enthusiast gamers so it makes sense that they market towards those folks. Not to mention they spend the most $$$.

#24 Edited by BoxRekt (2004 posts) -
@XVision84 said:

Can't wait to see what they have to show at PSX!

They probably won't show anything after MS flopped at E3. Expect a few current gen games and smaller Sony projects that may be exclusive to PS4.

They'll probably save all the juicy PS5 stuff for E3 2020 and embarrass MS when they show what late PS4 offerings and upcoming PS5 titles look like compared to their next gen games.

Can't wait to see them show off GT7. That's the only guaranteed PS5 title I could name at this time.

#25 Posted by Sevenizz (4018 posts) -

Shame the playstation brand can’t make a good racer, FPS, and multiplayer games.

Sorry sony, I’m sticking with Xbox. GL with your casual movie games though!

#26 Edited by Pedro (35465 posts) -

@BenjaminBanklin: I play games not shill for companies like you. :)

#27 Edited by PC_Rocks (2556 posts) -

@tormentos said:
@pc_rocks said:

Define what a hardcore gamer is this should give us some lols.

This is one definition i laugh some times when only atribute to a certain fanbase.

Ask the TC but whatever it's Sony fanbase isn't one! Sony's target audience is the lowest common denominator.

#28 Posted by briguyb13 (3123 posts) -

Talk is cheap.

#29 Posted by UnrealGunner (1069 posts) -

The irony is indie games are more hardcore than anything Sony can put out

#30 Posted by Heirren (2234 posts) -

The irony is that hardcore is the new casual.

#31 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4908 posts) -

@Sevenizz said:

Shame the playstation brand can’t make a good racer, FPS, and multiplayer games.

Sorry sony, I’m sticking with Xbox. GL with your casual movie games though!

Sony's still taking a chance and releasing single player games to the public, and winning bigtime, while MS is still releasing subpar GaaS content to the market and coming out with the least memorable library this gen. It's even less so when the library is dumped into a subscription service and made even less relevant. Sony hasn't forgot about traditional gaming, and this will continue to keep them on top of the development scheme.

@Pedro said:

@BenjaminBanklin: I play games not shill for companies like you. :)

You white knight for MS too much for anyone to believe that stance. Then again, even I don't own a PS4 Pro, so you paid into the Sony machine deeper than I did on that front. So you kind of forfeited your right to talk about movie games and all those other dumb Sony trolls when you paid into the premium Sony experience. LOL!

@unrealgunner said:

The irony is indie games are more hardcore than anything Sony can put out

Indie games are good, but not all reflect the need to buy an expensive capable gaming platform to have access to them. Cuphead, one of the best games of 2017, can be played on a toaster. This isn't saying that Playstation is dropping indies, just that they're focusing on the big games that attract people to next gen consoles. Games of every kind will still be there.

#32 Posted by Pedro (35465 posts) -

@BenjaminBanklin said:

You white knight for MS too much for anyone to believe that stance. Then again, even I don't own a PS4 Pro, so you paid into the Sony machine deeper than I did on that front. So you kind of forfeited your right to talk about movie games and all those other dumb Sony trolls when you paid into the premium Sony experience. LOL!

Lets see, you couldn't counter so you resorted to the claim that I don't own anything but the Xbox One. After I made a fool of your false claim, you claim I don't want my PS4 Pro because you still didn't have a point or a counter. Now you are claiming I can't comment on Sony games because I own a PS4? LOL.

One of these days you will learn to play games instead of being a shill.

#33 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4908 posts) -
@Pedro said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

Lets see, you couldn't counter so you resorted to the claim that I don't own anything but the Xbox One. After I made a fool of your false claim, you claim I don't want my PS4 Pro because you still didn't have a point or a counter. Now you are claiming I can't comment on Sony games because I own a PS4? LOL.

One of these days you will learn to play games instead of being a shill.

I just laugh because for all the Xbot defense you play, you turned out to be a high-end Sony whale. You exposed yourself hard, today. Don't like movie games, but it turned out you got the premium model of the movie game box. You can't make this shit up. LOLOL!

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#34 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3351 posts) -

People that call themselves “hardcore” are the ones that like movie games with little to no challenge. So no lies detected there...

#35 Edited by BassMan (10570 posts) -

@BenjaminBanklin said:

No Indiestation jokes for next gen (still love ya, indies), but Sony is going big and working with third party publishers closer than ever before. So hopefully this mean more exclusive games from big pubs (good) and less exclusive content (bad) for next gen.

Sony sees Microsoft as its main competitor in the next generation, with Google a potential threat in the mid- to long-term as internet technology advances, one company official said. Nintendo Co. isn’t perceived as a major rival, the person said, because its main users tend to be younger than PlayStation’s core demographic...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/sony-positions-next-playstation-for-hard-core-gamers-11561800603

Oooh, that sounds like shots fired to me. Not making a $500 box just to play subscription service filler and last gen games, or sacrificing everything for portability. Sony sounds like they want to put out a great box and have the games to show for it. It's on, baby!

If they wanted to put out a great box, they would have to make it at least $1000 and greatly increase the power limit. We know that is not going to happen. So, best to keep expectations low and not hype anything. It is a console after all.

#36 Edited by Calvincfb (0 posts) -

@goldenelementxl: have you played God of War, uncharted, the last of us, HZD and spider Man on the highest difficulty? Have you played bloodborne? No? I thought so.

Let us not forget that most AAA available on ps4 are also available on Xbox one and PC and almost all of them have hard difficulty settings, so all of them have challenge in all platforms.

Come back after you played all those games in the highest difficulty settings, then we'll talk about challenge.

#37 Posted by briguyb13 (3123 posts) -

@calvincfb said:

@goldenelementxl: have you played God of War, uncharted, the last of us, HZD and spider Man on the highest difficulty? Have you played bloodborne? No? I thought so.

Let us not forget that most AAA available on ps4 are also available on Xbox one and PC and almost all of them have hard difficulty settings, so all of them have challenge in all platforms.

Come back after you played all those games in the highest difficulty settings, then we'll talk about challenge.

Wow you're so hardcore brah! Do you seriously tie your self worth to shit like this?

#38 Posted by Pedro (35465 posts) -

@BenjaminBanklin said:

I just laugh because for all the Xbot defense you play, you turned out to be a high-end Sony whale. You exposed yourself hard, today. Don't like movie games, but it turned out you got the premium model of the movie game box. You can't make this shit up. LOLOL!

LOL. Look at you trying to safe face. I have also indicated that I played on all systems and that I don't like movie games regardless of platform. Stop being a shill man and own up to making a fool of yourself. :)

#39 Posted by Calvincfb (0 posts) -

@briguyb13: I'm failing to see what being hardcore have to do with saying that Sony games have no challenge since that was what I was referring to. If you're unable to say anything in this topic, refrain from replying.

#40 Posted by briguyb13 (3123 posts) -

@calvincfb said:

@briguyb13: I'm failing to see what being hardcore have to do with saying that Sony games have no challenge since that was what I was referring to. If you're unable to say anything in this topic, refrain from replying.

Both ends are hyperbolic and nonsensical extremes.

#41 Posted by dxmcat (2716 posts) -

PvE is about as casual as you can get unless you are a speedrunner or something.

#42 Posted by Calvincfb (0 posts) -

@briguyb13: you're still making no sense and no connection whatsoever to what I previously posted.

This conversation is over.

#43 Edited by briguyb13 (3123 posts) -

@calvincfb said:

@briguyb13: you're still making no sense and no connection whatsoever to what I previously posted.

This conversation is over.

Too bad that simple logic goes over your head. I'll spell it out for you: spouting nonsense that "games are hardcore because of..." is just as bad as saying "there's no challenge". Both are idiotic ideas.

The term "hardcore" is just another way of saying "dedicated", and to be dedicated means different things to different people. You playing on highest difficulty might mean something to you, while being a dedicated gamer to someone else might mean playing a bigger variety of games and systems, for instance.

#44 Posted by tormentos (29236 posts) -

@pc_rocks said:

Ask the TC but whatever it's Sony fanbase isn't one! Sony's target audience is the lowest common denominator.

Neither is NIntendo or MS or PC unless you think all those playing browser games such as candy crush can be consider hardware.

Every platform has hardcore gamer and casuals.

@goldenelementxl said:

People that call themselves “hardcore” are the ones that like movie games with little to no challenge. So no lies detected there...

Well it can be worse some call them self that and play browser games or worse MOBA games such as DOTA.

#45 Posted by ProtossRushX (5631 posts) -

PS5 FOR THE HARDCORE

Xbox scarlett kinect for the casual kids

#46 Edited by Calvincfb (0 posts) -

@briguyb13: It seems that you missed my point entirely. Gold element was saying that Sony games didn't provide any challenge and I called him out on it asking if he played those games at a high difficulty so that he would be able to say the games provided no challenge.

Next time, read the whole post history before spouting nonsense and talking stuff that had NOTHING to do with what I was saying.

#47 Posted by ProtossRushX (5631 posts) -
@dxmcat said:

PvE is about as casual as you can get unless you are a speedrunner or something.

launching with kinect move spyware is more casual than pve

#48 Posted by NfamousLegend (365 posts) -

No one has a true definition of hardcore, there lies the issue.

#49 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4908 posts) -
@Pedro said:

LOL. Look at you trying to safe face. I have also indicated that I played on all systems and that I don't like movie games regardless of platform. Stop being a shill man and own up to making a fool of yourself. :)

I'm just saying, you should have checked yourself before you wrecked yourself. You can't be a cheerleader for Xbox, talk shit about Sony games, and it turns out you're one of Playstation's best customers. 🤣🤣🤣 There's other Xbox fans around here that do the same thing. Talk trash about PS4, but they have a wall of Youtube vids with Playstation footage.

Then again, I forget that the head of Xbox rather play PS4 games too, so why shouldn't his minions?

#50 Posted by I_P_Daily (12334 posts) -

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@i_p_daily said:

Don't you already have morphine to ease the pain of having to deal with garbage box.

"Let's see, what Forza game am I going to have to play today?"

So many choices!

@Pedro said:

I fixed the typo. ;)

Poor Benji is going into another one of his meltdown's, here let me ease your mind with a simple photo of the love of your life

Phil knows benji will notice his ring and may finally realise he can't have him :(
Phil knows benji will notice his ring and may finally realise he can't have him :(

Poor benji :(