Wouldn't you have to be a lunatic to buy Destiny 2 at launch?

• 59 results
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22670 Posts

Or in my case... Buy it at all, but I digress...

If you are buying destiny 2 at launch, aren't you preparing for getting next to nothing in terms of content related to a 60 dollar asking price? Destiny 1 asked 60 for a 20 game of content then filled in 20 dollar expansions until it was somewhat of a full game by the end ,all while early adopters of the game spent well over a hundred dollars to get a full 60 dollar game.

Realistically speaking aren't you throwing money away to buy at launch when you could wait 6 months for the rest of the game to be finished so you can buy it once at 60 dollars?

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Didn't buy the first one. Played the beta and wondered how shooting a giant purple eyeball for 10 minutes was supposed to be fun.

lrdfancypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 lrdfancypants
Member since 2014 • 3850 Posts

What content? Story?

As an MP game it has plenty of content.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#4  Edited By Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2948 Posts

But it's Bungie!!1!1!!

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

With games like Destiny, it's not about the "value" but being part of the conversation. Destiny 2 is gonna be real hot when it comes out. Those who wait may get a better "deal" but will miss out on the launch experience.

Destiny get iffy with me because there is no point in dropping 100 hours trying to get the best gear and weapons when better stuff come out every few months.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56092 Posts

@TheEroica: I happen to enjoy the first Destiny and I had the money to burn at launch so there's that. I was getting ready to buy Destiny 2 at launch but ever since Anthem stole the spotlight for me, I'm all in for Anthem more and it made me forget all about Destiny 2 now. I did play Destiny 2 beta and glad I did cause it was more the same.

Edit: I'll just wait for Angry Joe to review Destiny 2 and see how this plays out.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

I'm not buying this one at launch but I had no regrets getting D1 at launch, I played it for over 300 hours probably before I put it aside. Now I could have waited and gotten a better price for those 300 hours, it would have made no difference in my budget I mean 60$ for 300 hours or 30$ for 300 hours, they are both a bargain for me.

Not to mention this is a community-driven game in part, so it's fun for the big fans to go through the launch period together, it is not the same when you play these games months after release, the community is a little different at that point.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@TheEroica said:

If you are buying destiny 2 at launch, aren't you preparing for getting next to nothing in terms of content related to a 60 dollar asking price? Destiny 1 asked 60 for a 20 game of content then filled in 20 dollar expansions until it was somewhat of a full game by the end ,all while early adopters of the game spent well over a hundred dollars to get a full 60 dollar game.

The various incentives at certain outlets will greatly reduce that price tag to something perhaps more appealing. Your $60.00 price tag will end up costing me around $32.00 (American) if I decide to pre order it. Is that a better proposition?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44559 Posts

I liked the first Destiny, got it in the early summer months before the Taken King DLC, I liked it up until they make those Taken King changes. I wouldn't have mind trying the last DLC that released but they never had a sale on it, they always had sales on the entire collection, which I already had, but never for the last DLC pack by itself. I passed on that but am still interested in Destiny 2. The game is very addictive, so much so I have to try really hard not to play it or else I won't find the time to play anything else.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#10 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

Lunatic to buy it at all!

I am kidding I am kidding....a bit

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Loved the first one, between rocking the missions with friends or playing the crucible I put a lot of time into the get and easily got my money's worth out of it. One of the few games that I played so much of I actually burned myself out and put it aside.

Ready for the sequel though!!!

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

I'm getting it but only because it's basically free since I have tons of battle.net balance.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#14 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@TheEroica said:

Realistically speaking aren't you throwing money away to buy at launch when you could wait 6 months for the rest of the game to be finished so you can buy it once at 60 dollars?

Funny, didnt knew Destiny 2 had already came out for you to know how much content it'll have... Just because Destiny 1 failed in that regard doesnt mean Bungie didnt learnt from their mistakes and did better this time around. I mean, look at games such as Assassin's Creed 1 where its content was VASTLY improved in the sequels... c'mon have a little faith.

I will wait this time around though for its reviews to come out first, but if the content available at launch is reasonable I dont see why wouldnt I buy it at launch

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

I'm guessing it's how much value come from the money from the base game prior to the DLC's coming out. If a person feels like they have had $60 worth of playtime then they'll happily buy and play the DLC content.

Also if you wait for the gold edition you miss out on all the launch fun and playing with the community at much the same level. That's not just a Destiny thing though, it's pretty much the same with all MMO type games when they first release.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I play with my brother so I'm fine getting it at launch. If I didn't have someone to coop with, I wouldn't bother. After playing the beta, I can tell the game still has the same fun gameplay, it appears to have more of an emphasis on story (not hard to do), and that I'll still have fun playing it.

Besides, after all the delays, there really isn't much else to look forward to this fall/winter. Maybe A.C. Origins....

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

I didn't really take to the first game so I haven't kept up with the news on Destiny 2. I think a game like this though, a multi-player game, can sometimes reward early adopters for getting ahead of the curve. I think for those who are interested in the game, it's probably worth just going for it, particularly with things like special timed events taking place. I don't recall, but did Destiny release a complete edition later on with all the content?

@Telekill: There is if you own a Switch. A little game called Mario Odyssey comes out. :)

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Telekill

@jumpaction: I'm holding off on that as a Christmas gift for the kids. I was really hoping that the Yoshi game shown at E3 would release this holiday but the trailer ended with 2018 so...

I'm really looking forward to the couch coop games on Switch to play with the kids.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@Telekill: Awww that is nice. :) That's a very nice idea. It will make a lovely Christmas gift.

I think Xenoblade 2 is expected for a holiday release also if that tickles your fancy.

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jak42
Member since 2016 • 1093 Posts

Its a non subscription based MMO. The pricing model is what pays for everything. D1 has one of the strongest gaming communities. With some of the most talented FPS players in the world. D2 looks to carry on the success of D1 and expand upon it.

The only lunatics are those who are stuck in their own world that Destiny is dead. While it trends and makes a living for professional gamers and streamers.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Telekill

@jumpaction: I've never played the first game, what does it play like?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@Telekill: Hmmm. I guess some have compared it to an MMO. I think that is quite accurate.

The first game gives you three characters in a party who each play a different role. You have a string of attacks with different effects, and you can chain those effects to maximize your damage output. It's a real time RPG too, so you can move behind an enemy, for instance and improve the damage of certain attacks depending on your position on the field.

It's got quite a number of systems. I think it can be quite daunting for new players but it's also very fun when you get the hang of it.

For example.

The three first characters you get are one guy who does massive damage, another who can tank damage and finally a healer.

The healer can't take much damage so she relies on the tank to draw the attention of enemies. He has many abilities that can do that. The damage dealer also doesn't take as much damage and his attacks draw the attention of enemies, so you rely on using buffs to alter the tide of battle such that you are playing the role of three classes at once to work effectively in a fight.

It's got a satisfying rhythm to it.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Telekill

@jumpaction: I'll look up some gameplay videos on it and keep it in mind. Thanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@Telekill: It's worth thinking about if you plan on picking up a Switch. Of course there are other games there that are worth playing too such as Breath of the Wild.

I thought there was quite a bit to play across all platforms in Q4 but we'll see how things go.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Telekill

@jumpaction: I got my Switch at launch with Zelda and hid it in the closet until Mario Kart came out. In the two month difference, I crafted a city wide scavenger hunt for my kids to follow clues to some of their favorite locations like the park, McDonald's, etc.

The clues were put into 2" paper boxes that looked like yellow Mario question mark boxes. 3 of which were held by Yoshi plushes of different colors (one for each kid). When they finally followed the clues back home, they found a large 14" box that looked just like the clue boxes. Inside was the system, games, two Pro Controllers and other accessories. When the box opened the Mario theme played.

They had a blast.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Gamers are gonna do what gamers do best, bend over and take it from shitty developers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@Telekill: That is just the sweetest thing! You're are a really terrific Dad. :)

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Telekill

@jumpaction: Thanks. It was a lot of fun.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

Gamers are gonna do what gamers do best, bend over and take it from shitty developers

yup. The casual crowd from PC overwatch is a perfect fit for the slow pace and braindead AI of destiny.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

I guess I'm not crazy after all. I will definitely be skipping this one.

CRUSHER88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 3

#32 CRUSHER88
Member since 2003 • 2037 Posts

@jak42 said:

Its a non subscription based MMO. The pricing model is what pays for everything. D1 has one of the strongest gaming communities. With some of the most talented FPS players in the world. D2 looks to carry on the success of D1 and expand upon it.

The only lunatics are those who are stuck in their own world that Destiny is dead. While it trends and makes a living for professional gamers and streamers.

lolwut?

You mean a game in which the meta changed regularly, lacked private lobbies for most of its duration, and had a weekend "competitive" mode in which gear score played a huge role in a players ability to compete. The game has a huge community, but its competitive side is painfully lacking. Maybe that will change with D2 going 4vs4 and whatever other changes they implement. Either way, I'm only giving this one a go because my roommate already pre-ordered (game sharing). Lets hope the changes are for the best.

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jak42

@CRUSHER88: Its ok for Destiny to not be your kind of game. But if you can't get your light level up against CPU's. You don't stand a chance against actual players. Many of whom are from the older Halo community.

Stream some flawless Trials runs and run sweats without playing as someone whose getting carried. While getting invited to join iAM or BSK. Perhaps we can then discuss how uncompetitive D1 is.

CRUSHER88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 3

#34 CRUSHER88
Member since 2003 • 2037 Posts

@jak42: I have put a ton of time into the game during the first 18 months (my game time significantly dropped off since). I don't have difficulty reaching light levels and having the appropriate gear. The problem is clearly in the general balance of Destiny (the moving meta since launch). Because of the type of game Destiny is (loot grind), balance becomes a huge burden. Thus, players find themselves locked into a few sets of weapons/combinations. Games like Destiny that have such a huge degree of weapon/gear rolls, end up being difficult to consider a truly competitive game.

Again, I'm hopeful that Destiny 2 can make some progress, but Trials is not the solution to be a truly competitive Destiny. Its a weekly mini-game with some rewards at the end of the tunnel. Hell, as you even stated, its a damn excuse for people to stream and carry for donations. Every game has its top 1% of players, doesn't mean that Destiny carries some of the most competitive players. The biggest advantage here is that Bungie has had success with the competitive scene in Halo 1/2/3/ Reach (kinda). Time will tell though.

Could I come back now and faceroll Trials? Doubtful. But if I found the motivation to give Destiny one last go, I don't think it would take too long to get back where I was.

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jak42

@CRUSHER88: 95% of my PvP weapon loadout is stuff you can buy from vendors. God roll or not, the person who lands the first shot usually wins. Having a god roll means nothing if you lack other essential skills, like proper use of the map. Or can't hit your shots.

Not being able to adapt to a changing meta, essentially makes someone a one trick pony. Part of what makes a player great is versatility. If someone needed Thorn or Clever Dragon to do decent, the meta change simply exposed said person's weaknesses.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22670 Posts

@Telekill: awesome!

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#37  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

The amount content (pls stop judging games this way, k, thx) has never been my problem with that game. How fucking pathetic the gameplay happens to be is a far bigger issue. Way too many apologies for that gameplay because "hur durr the shooting engine" nonsense. It's a mindless slog to sit through, and yeah I'll admit the Raids do some cool stuff, but you have to sit through a parade of boring ass missions before you can even do the 1 fun mission in the game.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@TheEroica said:

Same here.

I mean like ill pay to play Destiny 1.5 on PC when games suck ass in the first place. No,no and no. Maybe if some friends of mine buy it, beg me to play with them and game is in a serious sale. Only then i might think about buying it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@jg4xchamp: Repeating the same missions for loot that not all of which will actually be useful to you (Some of it you can't use at all). Yeah, it wasn't a very fun game loop for me. Not like the reward is the only problem. The actual meat of the missions themselves aren't all that engaging. At least not for me, you know.

I played it with my brother who bought it for me as a gift. Once we came to a consensus, he sold them back. Poor guy. :(

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Didn't buy the first one. Played the beta and wondered how shooting a giant purple eyeball for 10 minutes was supposed to be fun.

Better than wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

A lunatic? Drama king, please. I won't buy it, but the first one was easily worth it's asking price. Lots to do, if that's your genre.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44154 Posts

I really enjoyed the first game myself and I thought that there was plenty to do in that game as I poured a good deal of time into it and that was the vanilla version to boot. My only issue was the lack of ingame storytelling and that looks to be addressed in this sequel. I'll definitely be picking up Destiny 2 myself.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@jcrame10 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Better than wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

As someone who got Destiny 1 and the season pass day 1 and stopped playing after a few days: I'll never get back into the series unless it becomes really, really good. 1 had a slightly above average gunplay, repetitive missions, tons of bullet sponges and no real story. It was just meh from the moment I started until I ended.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#45 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

Is that what we call people that have their own tastes and decide what their dollar is worth for themselves?

slimster2309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#46 slimster2309
Member since 2017 • 68 Posts

@Vatusus said:
@TheEroica said:

Funny, didnt knew Destiny 2 had already came out for you to know how much content it'll have... Just because Destiny 1 failed in that regard doesnt mean Bungie didnt learnt from their mistakes and did better this time around. I mean, look at games such as Assassin's Creed 1 where its content was VASTLY improved in the sequels... c'mon have a little faith.

I will wait this time around though for its reviews to come out first, but if the content available at launch is reasonable I dont see why wouldnt I buy it at launch

From my recollection, Destiny 2 has planned expansions. Expansions that will more than likely make the initial package a more complete game. Which is probably more relevant to Destiny 2, since there will be story content to expand upon and flesh out. After being burned on the Destiny 1, its not a surprise that someone would believe that late adopters reap all the benefits of getting all content for a lower price and skipping over game and balance changes/cycles of nerfs and patches.

As for the comparison of AC1 to AC2 and onward, Assassins Creed 2 nor Brotherhood, had DLC costing upwards of $30-50. You could jump in expecting majority of the game was already there and that additional content, even if cut from what would be a full experience, would not cost you the price of another entire game.

IMO, if i was given access a beta/demo for AC2, after playing AC1, I would have more than enough reason to be on board in regards to the improvement from the original. After playing the beta for Destiny 2, I saw very little improvement from the original.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

I guess if you are really into destiny with friends, then it makes sense if you're all getting Destiny 2

lilhurk1985187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48 lilhurk1985187
Member since 2014 • 571 Posts

Not even worth gameflying.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

No way in hell I am wasting money on Destiny 2. They already tricked me on the first one.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

the fanboys are still gonna buy it regardless