Would you subscribe to PS+ if it wasn't required for online?

  • 81 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#1 Edited by SolidGame_basic (22186 posts) -

I know I would . I get great discounts on digital games which more than makes up for the money I spent on membership. Sony also hooks me up with games to play each month. Also, you can usually get PS+ for $40 a year if you look online or wait for a sale. Last Black Friday it was going for $30. For the most part, I finish playing these games before my subscription ends. What about you, SW? Do you see the value in PS+? Or you simply see it as an online membership fee now?

*forgot, we also get into Betas too and other exclusive shizzle

Bonus question - anyone here subscribe to Best Buy's gamer's club unlocked? Amazing program if you ask me.

Avatar image for Netret0120
#2 Posted by Netret0120 (3463 posts) -

I mosy certainly would at $40-50 a year. I too finish games before the year is out and it lets me try out games i normally wouldn't ever buy. I don't buy many games a year so it gives me 4-5 free games during my barren periods where i don't buy games.

No i don'f subscribe to Best Buy's gamer club as there is no best buy in Austria:-)

Avatar image for AutoPilotOn
#4 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8655 posts) -

I I joined ps+ almost 2 years ago for free and discounted games.

I am subscribed to best buy gamer unlocked. It's very nice because I can get brand new 60 dollar games for 48 at launch plus some offer an extra 10 dollars of credit with it.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
#5 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (30823 posts) -

If I had a PS3, yes in a heartbeat. If I had a PS4 no it ****ing sucks.

Avatar image for Snugenz
#6 Posted by Snugenz (13388 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic said:

If I had a PS3, yes in a heartbeat. If I had a PS4 no it ****ing sucks.

Pretty much.

Avatar image for PurpleMan5000
#7 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (9279 posts) -

No. The PS3 games they give away are always old enough that if I want them, I already own them. The Vita games would probably make the service worth it if the cost of the media for storing digital data wasn't so ungodly expensive.

I would have probably purchased a PS4 at launch if online play were not tied to PS+, though.

Avatar image for Animal-Mother
#8 Posted by Animal-Mother (27350 posts) -

@farrell2k said:

No, I would not. The idea of paying for multiplayer gaming is insulting, sets a terrible precedent, and demonstrates how gullible shooter console kids are. Now that shooter console kids have demonstrated that they are willing to pay for online play, you can expect prices for it to rise and benefits for it to decrease (Xbox live). Now I hear you even have to put up with advertisements on your console UI. That's worse than paying for cable TV and having to watch advertisements. You should be getting these free games and online play for the advertisements you are forced to host on your console.

You did read the thread title right?

It's basically asking would you have PS+ even if it wasn't pay to play like it is now.

Avatar image for Blabadon
#10 Posted by Blabadon (33030 posts) -

Yep. Between the PS3 and Vita it gives me lots of games (I use it as the former's source of games) and it has its uses on PS4 too

Avatar image for Floppy_Jim
#11 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25834 posts) -

It makes zero difference to me. I never play online anymore, the only times I may do that on PS4 for an extended period is with Bloodborne (assuming it carries on from the Souls series online component) and a few F2Ps.

Avatar image for Animal-Mother
#12 Posted by Animal-Mother (27350 posts) -

@farrell2k said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@farrell2k said:

No, I would not. The idea of paying for multiplayer gaming is insulting, sets a terrible precedent, and demonstrates how gullible shooter console kids are. Now that shooter console kids have demonstrated that they are willing to pay for online play, you can expect prices for it to rise and benefits for it to decrease (Xbox live). Now I hear you even have to put up with advertisements on your console UI. That's worse than paying for cable TV and having to watch advertisements. You should be getting these free games and online play for the advertisements you are forced to host on your console.

You did read the thread title right?

It's basically asking would you have PS+ even if it wasn't pay to play like it is now.

Which is also why I mentioned the "free games" for the fee.

Touche Touche.

Unfortunately that's not the world we live in :( it's sad though but everything's becoming subscription base which is kind of nice ( some not so nice).

You eventually just put up with it

Avatar image for LustForSoul
#13 Edited by LustForSoul (6404 posts) -

If I had a PS3/4, yeah I would. I also own a Vita so I'd get double the games.

Avatar image for TheEroica
#14 Posted by TheEroica (17227 posts) -

I have ps3/4/vita.. hell yes it's worth it. One month worth of free games covers it.

Dragons crown on vita next month. Yay!

Avatar image for Blabadon
#15 Posted by Blabadon (33030 posts) -

@TheEroica: You up for co-op? I know you already beat it but when I get my Vita back I'd like to try it.

Avatar image for Lionheart08
#16 Edited by Lionheart08 (15814 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic said:

If I had a PS3, yes in a heartbeat. If I had a PS4 no it ****ing sucks.

+1

I have it for my PS3. Got to play Saints Row the Third, Tomb Raider, and will be downloading Dragon's Crown.

Avatar image for TheEroica
#17 Posted by TheEroica (17227 posts) -

@Blabadon: yes sir. Let's chat. Coop dragon crown is so fun.

Avatar image for hitmanactual
#18 Posted by HitmanActual (834 posts) -

Since the PS4 has been out the service has become garbage, the games on offer are mostly shit I have no desire to play or already have. Waste of money for me atm.

Avatar image for freedomfreak
#19 Edited by freedomfreak (49790 posts) -

Never paid for it to begin with.

I don't think I would though.

Avatar image for Cranler
#20 Edited by Cranler (8809 posts) -

Seems like a ripoff compared to Netflix for instance. Netflix costs more and you don't own the programming but you instantly get access to thousands of movies and tv shows. To try to be fair though lets just compare the new July offerings from both services. Please note that access to all PS + content requires the purchase of about a $1,000 worth of hardware.

Netflix

-“The Keys of the Kingdom” (1944)

-“Funny Face” (1957)

-“Patton” (1970)

-“Don’t Look Now” (1973)

-“Cheech and Chong’s Up in Smoke” (1978)

-“Star Trek: The Motion Picture” (1979)

-“Gandhi” (1982)

-“Best Defense” (1984)

-“The Karate Kid” (1984)

-“American Ninja” (1985)

-“The Karate Kid II” (1986)

-“Can’t Buy Me Love” (1987)

-“Eight Men Out” (1988)

-“Honey, I Shrunk the Kids” (1989)

-“The Hunt For Red October” (1990)

-“Boyz n the Hood” (1991)

-“My Girl” (1991)

-“Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country” (1991)

-“Basic Instinct” (1992)

-“Body of Evidence” (1993)

-“The Dark Half” (1993)

-“Philadelphia” (1993)

-“Blue Chips” (1994)

-“Legends of the Fall” (1994)

-“My Girl 2” (1994)

-“The Babysitter” (1995)

-“Crimson Tide” (1995)

-“Dead Man Walking” (1995)

-“Primal Fear”(1996)

-“Croupier” (1998)

-“Madeline” (1998)

-“Phantoms” (1998)

-“Ararat” (2002)

-“City of God” (2002)

-“Halloween: Resurrection” (2002)

-“People I Know” (2002)

-“Bad Santa” (2003)

-“Under the Tuscan Sun” (2003)

-“Jersey Girl” (2004)

-“Mean Girls” (2004)

-“Winnie the Pooh: Springtime with Roo’” (2004)

-“Fever Pitch” (2005)

-“Venus” (2006)

-“A Raisin in the Sun” (2008)

Starting July 4:

-“Knights of Sidonia” (2014)

Starting July 9:

-“Homefront” (2013)

-“Out of the Furnace” (2013)

Starting July 11:

-“The Battered Bastards of Baseball” (2014)

-“Hemlock Grove” Season 2 (2014)

Starting July 14:

-“The Master” (2012)

PS Plus

Towerfall Ascension

Strider

Dead Space 3

Vessel

Muramasa Rebirth

Doki-Doki Universe

Avatar image for Wasdie
#21 Posted by Wasdie (53456 posts) -

Nope. Deals aren't good enough for me and I don't play my PS4 enough to justify it.

Sadly it's required so I have no choice. Just the price of owning a console I guess.

Avatar image for Heil68
#22 Posted by Heil68 (57700 posts) -

Yes, the games are worth it.

Avatar image for cainetao11
#23 Posted by cainetao11 (32426 posts) -

I did. I subscribed since about a month after it started.

Avatar image for alcapello
#24 Posted by Alcapello (1396 posts) -

It should be automated really.

Avatar image for coasterguy65
#25 Posted by coasterguy65 (7133 posts) -

I subscribe to PS+ for the games, and the discounts on games. I've probably paid for the $49 fee just in discounts alone.

Avatar image for WeepsForFools
#26 Posted by WeepsForFools (785 posts) -

cows: "sure i'd pay $40-50 for a rental service provided by sony"

cows: "lems getting suckered for having the option of a $30 rental service provided by EA"

Avatar image for wiiboxstation
#27 Posted by Wiiboxstation (1210 posts) -

@AutoPilotOn: jut

How is PlayStation+ for "free" games. You have to pay for it! Therefore it's included. If they were free Sony wouldn't charge for it at all.

Avatar image for lostrib
#28 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

I already do since I don't have a PS4

Avatar image for blackace
#29 Posted by blackace (23576 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic: Yeah, it's still a good value. I can play and beat about 30-50 FREE games a year on 3 different platforms for just $50 a year. Nothing wrong with that.

Avatar image for lostrib
#30 Edited by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@blackace said:

@SolidGame_basic: Yeah, it's still a good value. I can play and beat about 30-50 FREE games a year on 3 different platforms for just $50 a year. Nothing wrong with that.

...you have too much time on your hands

Avatar image for commonfate
#31 Posted by commonfate (13320 posts) -

I don't pay for it to begin with. I hated the idea of paying for online w/Live and I'm suddenly not gonna look the other way just because Sony is doing it.

Avatar image for RR360DD
#32 Posted by RR360DD (13654 posts) -

Most people wouldn't. Thats why Sony put the multiplayer behind a paywall. Subscriptions to the service shot up significantly.

Avatar image for SambaLele
#33 Posted by SambaLele (5552 posts) -

@blackace said:

@SolidGame_basic: Yeah, it's still a good value. I can play and beat about 30-50 FREE games a year on 3 different platforms for just $50 a year. Nothing wrong with that.

This. Though it's still a much better value on PS3 than PS4. I simply can't finish 20% of the games I got with PS+ for the PS3. There's no time. With PS4, value is about ok. But since I don't have to pay separately for each platform, the result is still one heck of a great deal.

Avatar image for sirkibble2
#34 Posted by sirkibble2 (941 posts) -

No. As much as I like the free games, I only like them because I'm subscribed. And once I'm not, those free games are gone. So they're more like glorified rentals.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#35 Posted by SolidGame_basic (22186 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

I have ps3/4/vita.. hell yes it's worth it. One month worth of free games covers it.

Dragons crown on vita next month. Yay!

Dragon's Crown for Vita was great and I paid retail for it. Hopefully there will be a ton more people to play with now that it's on PS+.

Avatar image for darkangel115
#36 Posted by darkangel115 (4449 posts) -

The answer for most people is no. the PS3 sold 80 million consoles and yet had less then 2 million PSN+ subscribers. The PS4 has sold roughly 8-10 million and has about 4-5 million PSN+ subscribers. In other words, most people didn't care about the free games, and mind you the PS3 free games are way way better then the PS4 ones.

Avatar image for Senor_Kami
#37 Posted by Senor_Kami (8529 posts) -

I would and do. I've got it for PS3. It's definitely worth it. I've gotten so many good games from it. Definitely more than $40 or $50 worth per year.

Avatar image for TheEroica
#38 Posted by TheEroica (17227 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic: played it through on ps3... will most definitely coop it with anyone on vita.

Avatar image for KillzoneSnake
#39 Posted by KillzoneSnake (2239 posts) -

Nope. The free games are nice, but i wouldnt pay for it.

Avatar image for Zelda187
#40 Posted by Zelda187 (1047 posts) -

@Cranler said:

Seems like a ripoff compared to Netflix for instance. Netflix costs more and you don't own the programming but you instantly get access to thousands of movies and tv shows. To try to be fair though lets just compare the new July offerings from both services. Please note that access to all PS + content requires the purchase of about a $1,000 worth of hardware.

Netflix

-“The Keys of the Kingdom” (1944)

-“Funny Face” (1957)

-“Patton” (1970)

-“Don’t Look Now” (1973)

-“Cheech and Chong’s Up in Smoke” (1978)

-“Star Trek: The Motion Picture” (1979)

-“Gandhi” (1982)

-“Best Defense” (1984)

-“The Karate Kid” (1984)

-“American Ninja” (1985)

-“The Karate Kid II” (1986)

-“Can’t Buy Me Love” (1987)

-“Eight Men Out” (1988)

-“Honey, I Shrunk the Kids” (1989)

-“The Hunt For Red October” (1990)

-“Boyz n the Hood” (1991)

-“My Girl” (1991)

-“Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country” (1991)

-“Basic Instinct” (1992)

-“Body of Evidence” (1993)

-“The Dark Half” (1993)

-“Philadelphia” (1993)

-“Blue Chips” (1994)

-“Legends of the Fall” (1994)

-“My Girl 2” (1994)

-“The Babysitter” (1995)

-“Crimson Tide” (1995)

-“Dead Man Walking” (1995)

-“Primal Fear”(1996)

-“Croupier” (1998)

-“Madeline” (1998)

-“Phantoms” (1998)

-“Ararat” (2002)

-“City of God” (2002)

-“Halloween: Resurrection” (2002)

-“People I Know” (2002)

-“Bad Santa” (2003)

-“Under the Tuscan Sun” (2003)

-“Jersey Girl” (2004)

-“Mean Girls” (2004)

-“Winnie the Pooh: Springtime with Roo’” (2004)

-“Fever Pitch” (2005)

-“Venus” (2006)

-“A Raisin in the Sun” (2008)

Starting July 4:

-“Knights of Sidonia” (2014)

Starting July 9:

-“Homefront” (2013)

-“Out of the Furnace” (2013)

Starting July 11:

-“The Battered Bastards of Baseball” (2014)

-“Hemlock Grove” Season 2 (2014)

Starting July 14:

-“The Master” (2012)

PS Plus

Towerfall Ascension

Strider

Dead Space 3

Vessel

Muramasa Rebirth

Doki-Doki Universe

I don't see any good movies listed here besides Patton, Bad Santa, City of God and maybe the first Karate Kid. LOL

That's Netflix's problem. Half of their movie catalogue consists of a bunch of terrible, low budget shit that no one has ever heard of then when you finally find something good...it disappears after a couple of weeks.

They no longer have South Park episodes, Married with Children episodes, etc.

It's turned into a total shit service over the last 3-4 years.

Amazon instant video offers all of the same stuff for the same price with the added benefit of Amazon Prime free 2 day shipping.

Avatar image for bbkkristian
#41 Posted by bbkkristian (14971 posts) -

Hell no, and I wouldn't even pay for it now. Thank gawd they half half a brain to allow MMOs to bypass it otherwise I would trade in my ps4 immediately and join the PC master race. Seriously the only game that has been worth my while on the ps4 is ffxiv.

Avatar image for Zelda187
#42 Edited by Zelda187 (1047 posts) -

@WeepsForFools said:

cows: "sure i'd pay $40-50 for a rental service provided by sony"

cows: "lems getting suckered for having the option of a $30 rental service provided by EA"

They're both stupid

I love when console fanboys talk about how expensive it is to game on PC, but then you're all so willing and eager to pay for stupid subscription shit like PS+ or XBOX Live on top of your normal cable and internet bill. Not to mention paying an extra $10-20 for new releases.

Console gamers get nickeled and dimed constantly and seemingly have no problem with it.

And now they're going to pay for internet, XBOX Live Gold, AND some silly ass EA subscription...just to play games online.

Lolz

Avatar image for onewiththegame
#43 Posted by onewiththegame (4341 posts) -

No

Avatar image for Nengo_Flow
#44 Posted by Nengo_Flow (10644 posts) -

I've been a member of PSN+ for 4 years now.... its great.

But i'll be honest i wouldnt get it on PS4 if it didnt have the online requirement (not that it matters cuz my PS3 membership also transfer over to the PS4 either way). I would wait to get it on the PS4 (again, it I didnt already have it and it wasnt a online requirement).

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#45 Posted by SolidGame_basic (22186 posts) -

@Zelda187 said:

@WeepsForFools said:

cows: "sure i'd pay $40-50 for a rental service provided by sony"

cows: "lems getting suckered for having the option of a $30 rental service provided by EA"

They're both stupid

I love when console fanboys talk about how expensive it is to game on PC, but then you're all so willing and eager to pay for stupid subscription shit like PS+ or XBOX Live on top of your normal cable and internet bill. Not to mention paying an extra $10-20 for new releases.

Console gamers get nickeled and dimed constantly and seemingly have no problem with it.

And now they're going to pay for internet, XBOX Live Gold, AND some silly ass EA subscription...just to play games online.

Lolz

how is $40-$50 a year a rip off when we get tons of games and deep discounts too? my subscription always pays for itself and more.

Avatar image for aroxx_ab
#46 Posted by aroxx_ab (13236 posts) -

48 free games each year for me...so yeah sure

Avatar image for bldgirsh
#47 Edited by BldgIrsh (3044 posts) -

So it went from hating on digital cause touching discs is a must to "Hey look at all the digital games we get for subscribing! Great deal."

Avatar image for lostrib
#48 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@aroxx_ab said:

48 free games each year for me...so yeah sure

Yes, "free" games

Avatar image for JangoWuzHere
#49 Posted by JangoWuzHere (19032 posts) -

I have not bought one single vita game ever since I've been subscribed to PS plus.

Service is totally worth it.

Avatar image for silversix_
#50 Posted by silversix_ (26347 posts) -

Nope. The fact that sms is slower with ps+ on ps4 than on ps3 without is kinda laughable as well.