Would you rather take a Metroid 5 or a Metroid Prime 4?

• 92 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

Poll Would you rather take a Metroid 5 or a Metroid Prime 4? (81 votes)

Metroid 5 51%
Metroid Prime 4 49%

What's the difference?

• Metroid 5 would be the next game in the narrative arc that covers Metroid, Metroid II: Return of Samus, Super Metroid, and Metroid Fusion. It would presumably be a 2D sidescroller Metroid game in the vein of Super Metroid or Zero Mission, and continue the story from where Fusion left off, with Samus going rogue.
  • Metroid Prime 4would presumably exist in the Metroid Prime continuity. It would be a first person action adventure shooter in the vein of the Metroid Prime trilogy. Presumably, the story continues on from the end of Metroid Prime 3.

The question boils down to whether you want to see a classic 2D style Metroid, or a first person action adventure shooter.

My answer is... I actually want Prime. Now while I know my answer will give old school Metroid fans like @darkspineslayer cancer, I can explain- I feel that the 2D Metroid template is perfected, and there is nowhere else to go with it. I also feel like with most independent games on the market attempting to emulate it, there's no shortage of fresh experiences of this ilk, should you want them.

Prime, on the other hand, is exceptionally unique- there is nothing else like it, no one else is doing anything like it, and the template itself has a lot of scope for iteration and evolution. It's not been perfected yet.

So my answer is Prime 4. What is yours?

• 
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

Metroid 5. The Prime part of the series NEEDS to stay ended as per Retro's plan. It, like the bullshit with Other M and Federation Force, needs to be looked past while the series itself moves forward.

Like maybe make a proper 3D action title. Have someone like Platinum work on it.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

Prime 4. I love 2D Metroid, but I'm hungry for a first person experience, plus AM2R fulfilled the 2D quota last year as far as I'm concerned. Still there's no reason for Nintendo not to give us both at the same time like they did with Prime 1 and Fusion.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Generic non answer, I just want it to be good whatever it is. Whether they evolve on Prime, evolve on Super, or do something different like Other M (though far more well executed), doesn't matter to me. Just be a great game lol.

Though as much as I'd like another outstanding 2d Metroid, I do agree with you. It's hard to top perfection. I don't see how they can out-Super Super. Though as great as it is, I do believe there is room to out-Prime Prime.

Plus Nintendoboy hates the idea of it, so it's probably a safe bet.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

AM2R exists. 2D Metroid is hardly tapped. Bring on Metroid Dread. #believe

Get rekt.

Avatar image for deactivated-58e7bee46c6be
deactivated-58e7bee46c6be

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-58e7bee46c6be
Member since 2017 • 44 Posts

Prime series is over. Time to ditch the premise and first person perspective. I found it refreshing at first but after the 3rd game I'd rather they stop with the formula. Out of the 3 Prime games I only liked the first one anyway and the 3rd part was definitely the worst by far and overrated as hell.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I'd be okay with either at this point (wouldn't even be against another Other M-esque game as long as they don't add anything stupid like pixel-hunt segments and don't get sloppy with the story if they add one). I think I'd prefer a Metroid 5 more though, mostly because it's been far longer since we've seen a traditional Metroid compared to a prime game.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

Metroid 5.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Sequel to super metroid like what they did with link between worlds

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

2D. Prime ruined the franchise

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

3D Metroid. If breath of the wild is what they can do with Zelda; I'd love to know what they could do with Metroid.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mems_1224

@jg4xchamp said:

3D Metroid. If breath of the wild is what they can do with Zelda; I'd love to know what they could do with Metroid.

except they've proven they can make a good 3d zelda. they never proved that for metroid

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

Don't really get the 4 vs 5 aspect, but yeah 2D all the way. There are 2 side scrolling games that timeless, Metroid and Castlevania. Metroid's dick is in the dirt and treated like total shit. Castlevania has rewrote history multiple times since the last Super Metroid, and Bloodstained is the coup-da-gras of Castlevania drought and once again prove Castlevania'esque is the best 2D platformer of all time.

Meaning, if Castlevania's spirtiual successor is Blood Stained, Metroid needs one, and bad. Metroid drought will hurt more if Castlevania's linage is off sprouting in the new frontier.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

I would prefer 3rd person as in you look at Samus's back..like when you morph into ball.. or 2D is okay too...not really into first person view game much..so I guess Metroid 5 :P

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
@mems_1224 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

except they've proven they can make a good 3d zelda. they never proved that for metroid

Hire a competent developer, I don't think it would be that much of a hassle, seeing how we get some form of metroidvania-style in basically every third game nowadays.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I never liked the Metroid Prime games, so I would definitely prefer a Metroid 5 sidescroller in 2D or 2.5D.

If it's Metroid Prime 4 then I won't be buying it.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Prime 4 if done right.

IMO the original Metroid Prime was the best game of the Metroid series and the best game of the GC, Xbox, and PS2 generation period.

cheesie253

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cheesie253
Member since 2003 • 1014 Posts

@storm_of_swords:

Also never really got into the Prime series. Would love to see a 2d Metroid and Castlevania for the Switch. I'd prefer to have something more Super Metroid and Super Castlevania/SOTN hit. Please Nintendo please!

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15564 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

2D. Prime ruined the franchise

Can I have what you are smoking?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

Plus Nintendoboy hates the idea of it, so it's probably a safe bet.

Right when I find the right gif, I think I'd get my ass modded (two of them who already hate me enough I gave a bad day already for making an admittedly bad idea for a post that went too far) if I posted it so...

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mems_1224

@Vaasman: I don't smoke

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I don't want a Prime 4. Metroid Prime 1 and 2 were great but Retro started slipping with Prime 3. I want Nintendo to reinvent the series with something new preferably 3 person. I want the next Metroid to have the depth and attention to detail that Super Metroid had. A lot of Samus' abilities from Super Metroid didn't translate into first person very well like the screw attack and speed boost. The first person perspective in games has been done to death as of late. The first person genre is getting stale.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#23  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I like the Prime games more. So for me, Prime. 2D would be cool, too.

I don't want Prime to be done. I played all 3 in short succession and I think all 3 rocked and the series kept improving on things. It's probably my favorite FPS series so I don't want it to never appear again. Nobody else makes anything remotely like it.

I would love a new 2D one but Prime would explode my clothes.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

the series needs a reinvention to mark its return. we don't need another prime, we need something different.

smashed_pinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 smashed_pinata
Member since 2005 • 3747 Posts

I want a reinvigorated Metroid in first person....but not prime 4.

I do not want 2d metroid.

2d metroid is boring.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34598 Posts

I would say Metroid Prime 4, if Metroid Prime 3 wasn't lame. So vote goes to Metroid 5.

In greatness it goes Metroid Prime 1 > 2 > 3. So it progressively got worse, and I don't want an even worse Prime than 3.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

A 2D Prime game would be interesting. I bought Hive Jump on Steam last month after waiting so long for it to release and when I played it I thought that this game was what Metroid Prime Federation Force should have been.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

I voted Prime 4, because that's the kind of game I want next in terms of gameplay (first person action/adventure).
In terms of story, I'd like something completely new instead of another Prime sequel.

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts

PG with a continuation of "other M" which may sound dumb but it was a good (not great, not awesome, just plain old good). something in the lines of how SE / PG did Nier 2. perhaps maybe Retro / PG collaboration...

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I don't know that I'd agree that the 2-D template has been perfected or that the 3D hasn't. I'd be curious to hear specifically what you mean by this.

We've not seen a 2-D Metroid on a console since Super Metroid, and that was 23 years ago. Technology has improved quite a ways in that time, and I have no doubt that Nintendo could think of ways of reinvigorating the formula in 2D with that better tech behind them. The game could be stunning in animation and sound considering Nintendo's talent for art style and attention to detail.

I'd pick a 2D Metroid on a console over a 3D one any day of the week, as we've yet to actually see a 2D Metroid on a modern console. We already have with Prime.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#32 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I'd like Metroid 5 BE Metroid Prime 4.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

Metroid Beach Volleyball. Is that an option? ????

KillOnSight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

#34 KillOnSight
Member since 2015 • 458 Posts

I just want a bigger Prime game where you can pilot the gunship and craft things like drones and rockets, that would be sweet.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#35 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@nintendoboy16: I speak for myself, but I'm sure @darkspineslayer agrees with me (and he will correct me if he does not), but no, we don't hate you. Like, I personally just think you take things to seriously, and need a better sense of perspective- yesterday's post was just an extreme exhibition of that. I don't actually have very many issues with you outside of when you do weird shit like that, and I certainly won't target you with moderations.

Basically, the TL;DR is- you're an alright guy. Just try to keep the larger picture in mind when you make posts and analogies is all.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

@mems_1224 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

This statement hurts my head. I know opinions are subjective, but this is as close to an opinion being wrong as can be.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts

I would rather see 5.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#38 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

TBH I want to see what happens after Fusion. However, I see no reason why that game has to take the form of a 2D Metroid game.

If you'd asked me a few years ago I would have gone with a new 2D Metroid, but there are many 2D Metroidvania's these days, whereas there are very few of them with high production values done in 3D.

So I'm going to cheat at say Metroid Prime-style gameplay whilst continuing the story arc from where Fusion left off.

That said, at this point I'll take anything that isn't some sad sports game.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#39  Edited By zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Really, whatever would be a great game. I've only played Metroid Prime and Metroid Fusion through entirely.

I will say that if they do Metroid 5 (2D side-scroller) I don't want the whole New Super Mario treatment. I'd really want them to go all out with the artwork. Either hand-drawn craziness or incredible detail on the 2D environment. None of this cutting corners, indie-budget since it's a 2D game nonsense. I know that doesn't play into the gameplay which should be sharp, but I just don't want them to be lazy since it's 2D. I feel like many developers think they can do just that (I could be very wrong about this. It's just a feeling.)

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

A Metroid Prime kind of game would cost a ton of money to make on an HD machine. Other M and Chibi Prime have done a lot of damage to the brand, so, a 2D game would be a much safer bet to test the waters. However...

@zassimick said:

Really, whatever would be a great game. I've only played Metroid Prime and Metroid Fusion through entirely.

I will say that if they do Metroid 5 (2D side-scroller) I don't want the whole New Super Mario treatment. I'd really want them to go all out with the artwork. Either hand-drawn craziness or incredible detail on the 2D environment. None of this cutting corners, indie-budget since it's a 2D game nonsense. I know that doesn't play into the gameplay which should be sharp, but I just don't want them to be lazy since it's 2D. I feel like many developers think they can do just that (I could be very wrong about this. It's just a feeling.)

What this man said. It better not be some phoned in 2D game. New Super Mario games are the best example of how NOT to do 2D games. The DS one was cool and proved that there was a huge market for 2D Mario, the Wii one was kind of lazy, but it was solid and had four player simultaneous local multiplayer, which was really nice. Then they figured people would just buy the damn games just because they were 2D Mario and got really, really lazy, reused assets, stuck with the dumb soundtrack and just focused on level design, which was well done as always, but it's still not the way to treat a franchise that sold well.

A 2D Metroid (and the New Super Mario games, for that matter, if they want to revamp the name) deserve the same kind of care that we see in 2D games like Rayman Origins/Legends or Castlevania Symphony of the Night. The latter one is a prime example of how to do things RIGHT. It came out when the entire industry seemed to be dominated by a silly "EITHER WE MAKE 3D GAMES OR WE DON'T MAKE GAMES AT ALL BECAUSE REASONS" mindset and proved them wrong, big time.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

I honestly don't care... I'll take any legit Metroid game at this point. I loved the 2d series, loved the prime series, loved other-m.

Just give us something.... anything.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

While I've always wanted a Metroid 5, continuing the core story of the series, the sad truth is Fusion left the chronology in a really awkward spot. And I didn't like what happened with the Prime series following the first one.

My thoughts? High time Metroid got a reboot. Hear me out:

Imagine the vast, open world format Nintendo has just used for Breath of the Wild. Now imagine a slightly smaller open world, but with a lot more verticality to it, as well as labyrinthine design. Now imagine more than one of these; after all, Metroid takes place in the far reaches of space, so Samus visiting multiple worlds is totally justified. Zebes, SR388, maybe even a map entirely set in a space station? Three major maps to explore compared to Breath of the Wild's one.

Story-wise, the series gets a reboot. A reintroduction to Samus Aran, a bounty hunter hired by the Space Federation to combat a growing threat by Space Pirates led by Mother Brain and her cronies. But that's not all; the titular Metroids have been unleashed by the Space Pirates, and it's up to Samus to take care of everything single-handedly.

So to explore these locales with Samus, it'd be a third person adventure just like Zelda. However, Samus is a much more nimble character, and she has access to all of her arsenal (or most of it anyway) right from the start.

The catch? Activating the various aspects of her suit require the temporary sacrifice of Energy Tanks, the source of the player's in-game hit points. Sure, you can activate the Varia functionality at any time, but doing so drastically reduces Samus' available health, creating something of a risk-reward system for exploration. Do you prefer fewer abilities but more health? Or all the best toys at the risk of one or two hit deaths? Finding additional Energy Tanks would be a great motivation, and they could be cleverly hidden throughout these vast worlds.

Prime's elemental beam cannons can make a return to vary her offensive capabilities, as well as the visors.

This is the kind of Metroid I'd love to see. In the meantime, I can dream, can't I?

trollhunter2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 trollhunter2
Member since 2012 • 2054 Posts

Metroid Prime 4

3D metroidvania is unparalleled

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

Updated Super Metroid in Metroid 5? I'll eat my own shit and call it chocolate i'd be so happy.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#45  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Damnit! I did not expect to see so much 2D Metroid love here! They showed Prime beef! That has to stand for something!

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#46 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Either one is fine with me as long as it's not another spin off. I am leaning towards MP4 since I love Metroid Prime but Fusion was a long time ago.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts

Anything but Federation Force 2.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@mems_1224 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

the 3d zeldas do not hold a candle to the first 2 prime games.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

As much as I like prime I want a good 2d Metroid.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

I mean, I want both to happen eventually.

My only issue with Prime 4 is that I greatly preferred playing Prime and Echoes with the Wii Remote & Nunchuck over the GCN controller, and I don't know if the Joycon's will be a good enough substitute for them.

Probably right now though, I'd pick Metroid 5, It's been too long since Fusion.