Would you give Peter Molyneux another chance?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Poll Would you give Peter Molyneux another chance? (52 votes)

Yes 46%
No 54%

Peter Molyneux has an overwhelmingly bad rep now, turning himself into one of those funny statues at Pompeii with a volcano he himself built.

But let's not forget he is one of the more important and influential heads in the industry, far more so than someone like... Hideo Kojima.

He recently released a game that no one reported, and no one gave a shit about.

Peter is a very talented and passionate man, who's produced incredible games as well as (with his open minded thinking) brought lots of talent into the industry, that otherwise wouldn't have been given a chance. Would you give him another shot? A go to right his contemporary wrongs?

• 
SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

He should have stopped with Dungeon Keeper.

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#2  Edited By strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

I really enjoyed Fable. I mean I really, really enjoyed Fable. It managed to pull at my heart strings something games rarely do. He should make that caveman/dinosaur game he wanted to originaly do for Xbox. Stick it to me and make it Xbox exclusive.

I am not aware he did anything wrong, not educated on the matter, besides not make that caveman game called BC.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69449 Posts

Yes. But with caution. He simply talks too much. He talks about things he would like to see in his game vs what is actually in the game.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

Of course... the more people making games, the better.

Same goes with Sean Murray.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#5  Edited By Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69449 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Of course... the more people making games, the better.

Same goes with Sean Murray.

My bad its the No Man Sky director.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@strategyfn: He had a very successful Kickstarter for a modern populous like game called Godus. It was released on early access as a barebones demo that was fundamentaly flawed on a design level. He then released a spin off called Godus Wars also in early access despite neither version being remotely close to acceptable quality. Then about a month later both games were abadondoned, yet still up for sale.

Back when he did make good games he had a tendency to exaggerate and arguably lie about the contents of his games, now that he hasn't made a good game in years, it seems hard to like him.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

Of course I would give him another chance because he was responsible for lots of awesome games.(Dungeon keeper, The Movies and Fable)

I also liked to see John Romero making more games after Daikatana but he just quit.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

I like his ambition and vision. But he doesn't always deliver on that. I think he should work out if something can be done, before he tells people he will do it.

I especially love his ideas on ai and what he tries to do. Too many don't explore this side of gaming as much as I'd like.

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

WHERE IS BLACK & WHITE 3 ?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts

I think he had some good ideas.

But project management etc is not his strong suit, he should be designing, not leading.

Much like Chris Roberts....

A new dungeon keeper or Black & white with modern hardware could be excellent, but it'l never happen.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Nah, he was doing the "half baked Early Access game that never gets finished" thing before that was even properly a thing.

Now in a world of actual Early Access games? He just releases semi-broken demos.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

@dorog1995: I also liked to see John Romero making more games after Daikatana but he just quit.

Yeah I made the comparison with John Romero too. It is the same story though. Because Peter is a creative and lateral thinking genius who sees bigger pictures with lots of weird connections most people wouldn't think of that make a game special.

But Peter had a comadre in those early 16 bit and PC games (like Romero and Carmack) who was a talented programmer and it was this partnership that made all the great Bullfrog games like the good iD games up to Quake. But when Peter went corporate with Lionhead studios the programmers influence on the creative wasn't there as much and the synergy of skills was lost.

But this is part and parcel of AAA gaming, when large companies endeavour to make something the result is often impressive if not particularly practical at what it sets out to do.

But Peter quit his high paying gig at MS to just do a Kickstarter. Failed horribly. Didn't take the game off the market and just generally bumbles about if footage of him is anything to go by.

So if he find another good coder to partner up with and commit properly to the project he can still make great games.

Peter thinks big and tries new things. So I like him.

EDIT: having said that and watch The Trail review. He may well just be content to make lazy walking games with micropayments all over the place. He's probably got so much money now he might just lack the ambition to make another proper game.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Sad is it is to say I think the guy is finished. It's a shame because I like the games he made while he was at Bullfrog. Now he has lost the plot.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

The difference between Peter and Kojima is Kojima is nice enough to tell gamers before the game comes out, he won’t be able to do everything he wanted.

Peter Double Downs with his lies even past the games release and never apologizes.

Example: Kojima wanted Big Boss to grow a beard over the course of MGS3. He couldn’t do it. He told us, no big deal.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

The man is a master at over promising and under delivering. He has good ideas that he cannot implement into the game.

I would welcome him making a new game, but I would take everything he says it will be with a grain of salt.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#17 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts
@stuff238 said:

The difference between Peter and Kojima is Kojima is nice enough to tell gamers before the game comes out,

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

I actually bought Fable 2 with my own money, so no

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#19  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I definitely would. Sure it doesn't always turn out great but I liked Black & White and Fable and Populous. They were very innovative and they breathed some fresh air into the gaming industry. I bet he could make awesome games it's just that he needs to have a tiny bit of self restraint.

Oh I forgot he also had a hand in crafting Dungeon Keeper.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

He was great back in the day, it's a clown now that much like that no man sky idiot is straight up cancer towards the industry.

There is a reason why he got spit out by the industry and left it. His lies and bullshit ended up catching up.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Sorry but I feel Molyneux's fame and influence should have ended over a decade ago, with that said...

@Pedro said:

Yes. But with caution. He simply talks too much. He talks about things he would like to see in his game vs what is actually in the game.

...yes, I would give him a chance, but with low expectations. For example, if he announced Black and White 3 and it had no online/social components, and was just trying to be a solid god-game experience. That would get me a little excited.

Dungeon Keeper has been surpassed, I must say. Dungeons III is an acceptable game, while War for the Overworld is simply stunning, a triumph of indie game development. I don't want to see him do Dungeon Keeper and possibly ruin it.

Honestly what happened to Godus is a damn shame, I actually had some fun with that game for a short while. But when the game says "tap" the screen instead of "click" or "press" you know you're not the demographic. God damn mobiles...

In the end, though, I'm the guy waiting for Star Citizen and giving Chris Roberts a chance, I can give Peter Molyneux a chance, too :D

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

Pete was the god of god games. He was hugely important to evolution of games and we owe him a lot.

Anyone trashing him will feel the back of my hand. Be told.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

If he keeps his mouth shut, sure.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I'm always open to Dungeon Keeper 3. Quite frankly, I don't give a crap what developers do outside of their games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#25 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Like all things it gets worse with age. His best days are behind him.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

Never heard of this guy before.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

No, and it is not because he often got too ambitious promising games were going to do things he couldn't deliver on, in ways he pulled a few Sean Murray stunts of his own, I am sure he wanted to do them just failed to bring them together in time. Regardless, these days, he simply doesn't have the resources he once had with EA and MS. I guess if he still had such resources I'd give him another chance, but if not, if he's another has-been trying to recreate their former success on their own, I imagine he is just going to fail like all the rest; Itagaki, Cliffs B, David Jaffe, etc.

xBlackErrthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 xBlackErrthing
Member since 2017 • 97 Posts

Why not nothing else out.

Avatar image for eyeboonseyebrow
EyeBoonsEyebrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By EyeBoonsEyebrow
Member since 2018 • 280 Posts

Xbox should bring him in for Fable. Can't be any worse that the shit game designers they have at Microsoft now.

Fable 2 was a legit good game though

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

I judge every game on its own merits, regardless of who made it. So in that sense, if he makes another good game, I would play it. If not, oh well.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34601 Posts

Sure. I usually don't believe everything someone who's trying to promote their game says, so I'm cool. If he says he's working on a Fable game that's going to be "the biggest RPG ever made" I will not blindly believe it will be the biggest RPG ever made.

It was funny when people believed what the No Man's Guy dude was saying when he promoted his game and bought the game and got super angry when they didn't get exactly what he said you'd get. LOL, morons..

So yeah, I'd give him a chance. People who say no are mostly idiots who're angry from being easily fooled.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#32  Edited By deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

He can make all the games he wants to. If they are good I'll buy them. But I would never pre-order any of his games.