Would you consider GTA 3 the least favorite of the series?

• 62 results
Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Whenever people talk about their favorite GTA game it's either Vice City or San Andreas. I rarely see people ever mention 3 anymore would you consider it the blacksheep least favorite of the series even more then GTA IV?

Edit: Blacksheep was the wrong term to use I would go with the least favorite.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

No.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#3 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24914 Posts

Every GTA game suck so every game is blacksheep to me.

Mafia is better, more mature.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

GTA 4 is the clear black sheep.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56072 Posts

I played all GTA games for generation to generation and no, I'm no hardcore of Rockstar games and they are a hit or a miss.

As for GTA3 PS2 which happens to be my first ever GTA game, (never play London) most people seem to think that while GTA3 was extremely innovative for its time, there's very little that the later games don't do much better. But of course, GTA3 had the best open-ended gameplay out of the whole series. For most of the missions, you're given options of how you want to do them, like the one where you have to follow that guy who takes a taxi, you can either follow him, steal a taxi and drive him there yourself, or just go straight to where he's going and wait. And another where you have to kill a certain Mafia boss, you can grab a sniper rifle, wait for him to come out of the club and put one in his head, grab your uzi, wait until they leave and fill their cars with lead, grab all the guns and armor you can and assault them at the club, or wait at his house, using the biggest vehicle you can find, and the two cars in his driveway, to block his garage door, once they start coming in the driveway, start spamming grenades and use your AK-47 to finish off any survivors. You don't get options like that in the other later GTA games but yeah, GTA3 was revolutionary & innovated in ways that was ahead of its time on PS2, but man, I can't go back playing it and it didn't aged well either, so its a yes/no but GTA4 is clearly the winner of the black sheep.

@fedor said:

With GTA4's superior aiming system, I can't go back to the old series and I'm trying very hard replaying San Andreas.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@davillain- said:

I played all GTA games for generation to generation and no, I'm no hardcore of Rockstar games and they are a hit or a miss.

As for GTA3 PS2 which happens to be my first ever GTA game, (never play London) most people seem to think that while GTA3 was extremely innovative for its time, there's very little that the later games don't do much better. But of course, GTA3 had the best open-ended gameplay out of the whole series. For most of the missions, you're given options of how you want to do them, like the one where you have to follow that guy who takes a taxi, you can either follow him, steal a taxi and drive him there yourself, or just go straight to where he's going and wait. And another where you have to kill a certain Mafia boss, you can grab a sniper rifle, wait for him to come out of the club and put one in his head, grab your uzi, wait until they leave and fill their cars with lead, grab all the guns and armor you can and assault them at the club, or wait at his house, using the biggest vehicle you can find, and the two cars in his driveway, to block his garage door, once they start coming in the driveway, start spamming grenades and use your AK-47 to finish off any survivors. You don't get options like that in the other later GTA games but yeah, GTA3 was revolutionary & innovated in ways that was ahead of its time on PS2, but man, I can't go back playing it and it didn't aged well either, so its a yes/no but GTA4 is clearly the winner of the black sheep.

@fedor said:

With GTA4's superior aiming system, I can't go back to the old series and I'm trying very hard replaying San Andreas.

Thanks for the great answer I'm with you on not being able to go back to the old 6 gen titles they have aged poorly. I been replaying GTA 4 and man the combat still feels great. I actually think it's underrated the euphoric engine adds so much to it.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7 onesiphorus  Online
Member since 2014 • 5246 Posts

Are you defining "black sheep" correctly? I thought the term refers to a member of a group who is unfavorable contrast to other members especially by reason of socially undesirable characteristics or behavior.

Speaking that a game from a franchise that is rarely discussed by gamers does not make it a "black sheep." Inanimated things like video games cannot be "black sheep." Only people who are members of a group, like a family, can be "black sheep." For example, an eccentric uncle who shunned by the rest of his family is considered a black sheep.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3219 Posts

Not to me. It may of aged but I still have fun playing it. Plus it was the game that revolutionized open world crime games and made the entire GTA series even more popular.

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By VirusVaccine21
Member since 2020 • 748 Posts

Lol, wtf. It's still the best GTA. The thing is, it completely revolutionized gaming and was an early gen title. Obviously it did something new hence by todays standards its highly dated people are like, "GTA3 sucker."

But very few games in history have left their mark on the industry, GTA3 is an absolute revoltionary masterpiece. Every other GTA game after it build on it - no sh%^. They were sequels.

Also, black sheep, lol why? I'd rather have a black sheep than a white one.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18796 Posts

@warmblur: "I been replaying GTA 4 and man the combat still feels great."

The mechanics of GT4/RD1/GTA5 are terrible.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I would think the original GTA games (1, 2 and London) are the black sheep because they aren't 3D.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

The ****? no. It's the most important entry in the entire franchise. Put Rockstar on the map, arguably one of the most important video games of all time. Certainly of the modern era.

It sucks, but that's Rockstars games always suck.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

GTA 4 will always be the black sheep. GTA 3 was THE reason to get a PS2. GTA 4 rec'd great reviews...but then everything settled and you realized that the world was uninspired and the main characters were total ass.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Fairmonkey  Online
Member since 2011 • 2310 Posts

3 is one of the most important games ever made. Much like Super Mario 64. GTA4 is much worse than 3

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ghosts4ever

@jg4xchamp said:

The ****? no. It's the most important entry in the entire franchise. Put Rockstar on the map, arguably one of the most important video games of all time. Certainly of the modern era.

and GTA3 also ruined gaming for good. because of this game. we now see bunch of AAA open world checklist games. the foundation was GTA3. but it was not first open world game.

Deus Ex was released in 2000 and was pretty open/semi sandbox game and any game follow its structure turn into masterpiece.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46231 Posts

It was the best selling game of the time and sold so many Playstation 2s.

GTA 2 is easily the black sheep, everyone in the media hated it because games were moving to 3D, yet it had some of the best systems and best missions in any GTA.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46231 Posts
@jg4xchamp said:

I can't agree with your opinion, but at least I can respect it.

@ghosts4ever said:
@jg4xchamp said:

and GTA3 also ruined gaming for good.

This however is a bunch of horse shit.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

Black sheep? GTA 3 is the most important GTA title ever made. Possibly one of the most important games ever.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

@IgGy621985 said:

Black sheep? GTA 3 is the most important GTA title ever made. Possibly one of the most important games ever.

No possibly about it. Certain games, like Street Fighter 2, change the game completely for everyone.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 IgGy621985

@DocSanchez said:
@IgGy621985 said:

No possibly about it. Certain games, like Street Fighter 2, change the game completely for everyone.

Okay, and? So did GTA 3.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

@IgGy621985 said:
@DocSanchez said:
@IgGy621985 said:

Okay, and? So did GTA 3.

I was agreeing with you.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 IgGy621985

@DocSanchez said:
@IgGy621985 said:
@DocSanchez said:
@IgGy621985 said:

Okay, and? So did GTA 3.

I was agreeing with you.

Ah, sorry, misunderstood the first sentence!

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts

Definitely not. Not even amongst my favorites, but it is highly regarded for legit reasons.

I'd say GTA4, despite getting rave reviews and selling a lot, people don't think back to it in a positive way. It's my favorite of the bunch, though. GTAV just doesn't do it for me with its very weak singleplayer and obnoxious multiplayer, although I had fun with it back when it was this innocent multiplayer part.

I recently played through Vice City Stories and that one was cool, too.

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 me2002
Member since 2002 • 3058 Posts

One of the most, if not the most influential game ever.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#25 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

GTA 4 was the black sheep in my eyes.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
@me2002 said:

One of the most, if not the most influential game ever.

Agree

@freedomfreak said:

Definitely not. Not even amongst my favorites, but it is highly regarded for legit reasons.

I'd say GTA4, despite getting rave reviews and selling a lot, people don't think back to it in a positive way. It's my favorite of the bunch, though. GTAV just doesn't do it for me with its very weak singleplayer and obnoxious multiplayer, although I had fun with it back when it was this innocent multiplayer part.

I recently played through Vice City Stories and that one was cool, too.

Yeah, Vice stories is pretty sweet.

@ghosts4ever said:
@jg4xchamp said:

and GTA3 also ruined gaming for good. because of this game. we now see bunch of AAA open world checklist games. the foundation was GTA3. but it was not first open world game.

Deus Ex was released in 2000 and was pretty open/semi sandbox game and any game follow its structure turn into masterpiece.

Actually that would be your beloved Halo that ruined FPS and gaming for good it's stupid regenerating shields has dumbed down gaming forever it was the start of the casual FPS. And it just got worst when COD started putting it in their games. If Halo never existed FPS would of never gone causal also I hate to break it to you but the new DOOM games are casual as shit every kill is a quick time event.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@warmblur said:

Actually that would be your beloved Halo that ruined FPS and gaming for good it's stupid regenerating shields has dumbed down gaming forever it was the start of the casual FPS. And it just got worst when COD started putting it in their games. If Halo never existed FPS would of never gone causal also I hate to break it to you but the new DOOM games are casual as shit every kill is a quick time event.

Yeah Halo is my beloved franchise lol. and no if Halo never exist, Allied assault already damage FPS by being the first ever FPS to be scripted and on rail and that foundation lead to COD4. but with GTA3 success it introduce the formula of having quantity over quality as a result modern day AAA mainstream open world games in nutshell. and unlike you who played only selected FPS. i played almost every major FPS game.

Doom and Eternal are more harder than any of your game and its fact. its just that Eternal might owned you in nightmare lol. but you like Far cry

see, thats the difference between Ghost games (Doom) and your games (far cry).

Ghost games always either been mechanically perfect or they are incredibly immersive.

Mafia is ghost game and see how mature it is compare to trash GTA series lol.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44049 Posts

Nah, it was the breakout game in the series and one Yuuuuge reason the BS2 was so successful. Well that and millions were forced to buy three or more because of BS2's DRE problems. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:

Yeah Halo is my beloved franchise lol. and no if Halo never exist, Allied assault already damage FPS by being the first ever FPS to be scripted and on rail and that foundation lead to COD4. but with GTA3 success it introduce the formula of having quantity over quality as a result modern day AAA mainstream open world games in nutshell. and unlike you who played only selected FPS. i played almost every major FPS game.

Doom and Eternal are more harder than any of your game and its fact. its just that Eternal might owned you in nightmare lol. but you like Far cry

see, thats the difference between Ghost games (Doom) and your games (far cry).

Ghost games always either been mechanically perfect or they are incredibly immersive.

Mafia is ghost game and see how mature it is compare to trash GTA series lol.

Wrong Half Life started the scripted sequences that, also why the f are you talking in third person lol?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ghosts4ever

@warmblur said:

Wrong Half Life started the scripted sequences that,

Half life 1 was my first FPS and i remember it was the game that changed the shape for FPS genre.

Loading Video...

Now look at this. what the hell is this BS?? in a freaking FPS game?? you lost a control and just point and click? on rail segment? this was foundation of it. I liked allied assault. it was 7/10 game but no deny it was first scripted FPS. you complain about Halo 1 as foundation which had much freedom compare to that as you can enter and exist your vehicle any time.

just replay again and you will see compare to Doom and Eternal and even Metro. this game was so restricted, and have no freedom at all.

in Half life 1 there was only one scripted sequence where HEV soldier hit you and thats it.

Playing Black mesa recently and finished it 3 times in row make me also appreciating how clever Half life design were.

@warmblur said:also why the f are you talking in third person lol?

Because this thread is about GTA that is third person. so i compare it to other similar third person game.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#31 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

It's not a black sheep, as the game is viewed very favorably. It's just hard to go back and play it because of it's age.

Zelda 2 is a better example of a black sheep, while you can argue it's a good game, it was a huge departure for the series and was generally disliked by the majority of zelda fans

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17812 Posts

I don't think so. It's still my fav GTA personally. it just has a better mixture of madness and not taking itself too seriously. i didnt play VC and SA but 4 and 5 (4 more so) there seemed to be an internal battle between people who just wanted to continue the comedy and people who wanted to take it really really seriously. it seems the latter team has been getting more wins.

no the blacksheep in the GTA series i think is china town wars. No one expected it, no one asked for it. few bought it. most wrote it off right at the reveal. a 2D top down GTA in a post GTA 3 world on a 'kiddy' handheld...are you mad?

which is a real shame because CTW was great fun from what i remember. played very well too.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11257 Posts

Well yeah, Vice City came out a year later and was better in every way - even though it did nothing new. San Andreas came out just two years after that, and was waaay bigger and more innovative in every conceivable way.

But GTA3 was GOTY 2001, and easily one of the best games of the decade. It changed gaming forever

GTA IV was complete garbage, the worst 3D GTA by far.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11257 Posts

@IgGy621985: Indeed. GTA3 is one of, if not the most revolutionary game of the 21st Century. Vice City did absolutely nothing that GTA3 didn't do already - But Vice City was my first GTA and therefore the best :p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:

Wrong Half Life started the scripted sequences that,

Half life 1 was my first FPS and i remember it was the game that changed the shape for FPS genre.

Loading Video...

Now look at this. what the hell is this BS?? in a freaking FPS game?? you lost a control and just point and click? on rail segment? this was foundation of it. I liked allied assault. it was 7/10 game but no deny it was first scripted FPS. you complain about Halo 1 as foundation which had much freedom compare to that as you can enter and exist your vehicle any time.

just replay again and you will see compare to Doom and Eternal and even Metro. this game was so restricted, and have no freedom at all.

in Half life 1 there was only one scripted sequence where HEV soldier hit you and thats it.

Playing Black mesa recently and finished it 3 times in row make me also appreciating how clever Half life design were.

@warmblur said:also why the f are you talking in third person lol?

Because this thread is about GTA that is third person. so i compare it to other similar third person game.

Who cares about on rail segments? if anything it's a nice change of pace from keeping the game from getting repetitive. I really don't see how you considered it dumbed down you are still aiming the only difference is you are stuck on the gun big whoop.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ghosts4ever

@warmblur said:

Who cares about on rail segments? if anything it's a nice change of pace from keeping the game from getting repetitive. I really don't see how you considered it dumbed down you are still aiming the only difference is you are stuck on the gun big whoop.

On rail segments never ruined anything? but i get it you like sony movie games.

Its one of the worst mechanic introduce in FPS games. its not change of pace but lazy way for developer to make a design as you are doing nothing but pointing and clicking ie trail and error. its casual dumbed down mehanic like regen health, cover system, ironsights, cinematic sequence.

now can you imagine if these kind of things in any of old school FPS? or immersive sims like Deus Ex? of course not.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 IgGy621985

@ghosts4ever said:

FFS man. Really, FFS. Are you seriously comparing Half-Life 1 and Medal of Honor: Allied Assault here?

Two diametrically different types of first-person shooters?

• the premise is different
  • the storytelling is different
  • the approach to gameplay is completely different
  • the setting is incomparably different

There is a fucking reason why Half-Life 1 plays like one game, and MoH: AA like another game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:

Its one of the worst mechanic introduce in FPS games. its not change of pace but lazy way for developer to make a design as you are doing nothing but pointing and clicking ie trail and error. its casual dumbed down mehanic like regen health, cover system, ironsights, cinematic sequence.

now can you imagine if these kind of things in any of old school FPS? or immersive sims like Deus Ex? of course not.

Nope not even close.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#39 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

It was the best selling game of the time and sold so many Playstation 2s.

GTA 2 is easily the black sheep, everyone in the media hated it because games were moving to 3D, yet it had some of the best systems and best missions in any GTA.

I was going to say GTA 2. That's the forgotten GTA game, the one that you rarely see people talk about. At least among the mainline series. If spin-offs count, then there's also "black sheep" like London 1969, Liberty City Stories, Vice City Stories and Chinatown Wars.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ghosts4ever

@warmblur said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:

Nope not even close.

explain to me how.

you complain about dumbed down mechanics like regen health and QTE in FPS but tend to like games that have both ala Far cry.

atleast Doom never hold your hand, never have cinematic and QTE sequence and glory kills are still far better feature than on rail segments where you loose your control for like half n hour.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:

Nope not even close.

explain to me how.

you complain about dumbed down mechanics like regen health and QTE in FPS but tend to like games that have both ala Far cry.

atleast Doom never hold your hand, never have cinematic and QTE sequence and glory kills are still far better feature than on rail segments where you loose your control for like half n hour.

Glory kills are QTE try again.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@warmblur said:

no its not try harder. its just melee animation like one you seen in last of us 2 which is far longer.

Loading Video...

This is QTE.

and congratulations once again you ignore all my post.

accept it, Ghost games have far more depth unlike your games. even your best game ever that is FEAR is still too easy (atleast for me).

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

Nah. GTA 3 ain't a bad game, it's just no one's favourite of the series. I wouldn't really call any of the games a black sheep, I've enjoyed them all for different reasons but from what I've gathered over the years I'd say GTA London is probably the least liked?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:

no its not try harder. its just melee animation like one you seen in last of us 2 which is far longer.

Loading Video...

This is QTE.

accept it, Ghost games have far more depth unlike your games.

You mean casual lets see.

Halo √

Gears of War √

Call of Duty MW 2 √

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Ghosts4ever

@warmblur said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:

Loading Video...

This is QTE.

accept it, Ghost games have far more depth unlike your games.

You mean casual lets see.

Halo √

Gears of War √

Call of Duty MW 2 √

LOL at Gears is my game.

have you seen Gears is a franchise i consider killed third person games?

Loading Video...

This is real ghost game.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#46  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

Nah, GTA 3 was their first (iirc) open-world GTA game. Or 3D open-world game.

It sort of launched the franchise in the direction they've had so much success with.

@fedor said:

Yeah, have to agree with this.

One of the better installments but it had a lot of problems and for some reason it just did not feel like it fits in with the rest of the series.

@onesiphorus said:

Are you defining "black sheep" correctly? I thought the term refers to a member of a group who is unfavorable contrast to other members especially by reason of socially undesirable characteristics or behavior.

Blacksheep means someone that stands out, doesn't belong. If you have a family of doctors and the youngest want's to work construction, that person is the black sheep of the family. If everyone in a circle of friends is super chatty and a social butterfly except for the one who just likes to sit around and listen, that person is the black sheep of the group.

It is not necessarily a negative, though people who think of things "not belonging" might view it as such.

TL;DR: a "black sheep" is simply someone who does not appear to belong.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

The entire series is the black sheep of gaming. I played 3, Vice City & 4 and they are all overrated, but that's R* in general.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

Dont consider GTA3 as the black sheep, it was my first GTA. Its basically the og GTA template for all the ones after it. He was my favorite character to play as in GTA because he knew how to shut up, he was just a dude getting into some bs

Sadpolar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Sadpolar7
Member since 2016 • 108 Posts

Gta 4 is the black sheep to me. Also my least favorite of the mainline series.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Yeeeeeah.....I wouldn’t qualify GTA as the black sheep of the franchise. That’s like saying Super Mario Brothers is the black sheep.

Were you around when GTA 3 dropped? That shit was EVERYWHERE. It was a cultural phenomenon.