Would you buy another Xperia Play? Xperia Play 2?

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Poll Would you buy another Xperia Play? Xperia Play 2? (22 votes)

Yes 64%
No 36%

The Xperia play was actually a good idea, but Sony kind of, well honestly they didn't support the thing at all. It launched with what? 5 compatible games, questionable construction, low memory, and was barely advertised. The device did survive a bit longer than the N-gage when they bundled Crash Bandicoot with the system (which also allowed you to put PSX isos in the device to play emulated games, although not all games ran well) and increased the "Xperia play compatible" Android games. But outside that they kind of launched it and just let it stand there. You had to be there to witness how weird the roll out was.

But these days, as BB showed is, you can have thin phones with good specs, with slide outs. They could definately try this again, port PSX emulated games from Vita/PSP/PS3 whatever, add some more games only on the platform, should be strong enough to get some PS2 games running as well, a more well constructed controller, a better screen and camera, and maybe some Xperia Play exclusives.

By doing the above they will have a flagship phone that can play PS1, PS2, Android, and Exclusive games, in a not-so-clunky form factor and probably have a pretty high chance of success. This could also replace their handheld line.

• 
ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

dude are you okay?

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

Don't know really. If it's Xperia Z line quality, it's probably worth it. Z2 and newer are among the best phones on the market.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

I would be scared to buy anything Sony with how bad they support their devices.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts

@MlauTheDaft said:

Don't know really. If it's Xperia Z line quality, it's probably worth it. Z2 and newer are among the best phones on the market.

If you mean build quality absolutely. Though they should aim for a slightly thinner device. I think a 5 inch would be very good and maybe another option for 4.5

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5  Edited By Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

My phone choice is Samsung , so i don't know what the Experia Play does then my current phone.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56084 Posts

lol I couldn't even bring myself to buying a Vita.

@ProtossX said:

dude are you okay?

I could also ask the same for you.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MlauTheDaft

@TigerSuperman said:
@MlauTheDaft said:

If you mean build quality absolutely. Though they should aim for a slightly thinner device. I think a 5 inch would be very good and maybe another option for 4.5

I guess they're a little on the thick side, but all that glass makes them feel premium and they don't cheap out on the insides either. Sony's Android variant is'nt all that bloated either, so I have'nt felt the need to root/ROM mine yet.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TigerSuperman

@MlauTheDaft said:
@TigerSuperman said:
@MlauTheDaft said:

I guess they're a little on the thick side, but all that glass makes them feel premium and they don't cheap out on the insides either. Sony's Android variant is'nt all that bloated either, so I have'nt felt the need to root/ROM mine yet.

Well the Xperia Play shape has to fit in your hand horizontally for a long time with a certain comfort level. Of course, similar materials can be use the the think block shape won't work. Unless they do the fold over some phone designs do where the top and bottom are curved.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Knowing Sony's almost random build quality, lack of support after release and all around inconsistency, I'd rather stick with a reliable manufacturer like Samsung for my phone.

That, and I just upgraded to the S6 about a month ago and won't need a new phone for at least another couple years.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TigerSuperman

@foxhound_fox said:

Knowing Sony's almost random build quality, lack of support after release and all around inconsistency, I'd rather stick with a reliable manufacturer like Samsung for my phone.

That, and I just upgraded to the S6 about a month ago and won't need a new phone for at least another couple years.

S6 is already outdated. Get a fast plan with your phone company to upgrade your phone every 10-12 months.

trollhunter2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 trollhunter2
Member since 2012 • 2054 Posts

I'll never make a mistake and buy a sony xperia phone again. Got my xperia T day one and it already had some software issues, like constantly rebooting by itself

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MlauTheDaft

@foxhound_fox said:

None of that applies to their flagship line though and Samsung is exactly the same way.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#13 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

What is Xperia play?

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#14  Edited By Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

I have an Xperia Z2 and the phone itself is well built and fast. The best part about it is the remote play ability and being able to hook up a DS4 controller and play games. I take it with me when I travel and as long as I can connect to good wifi I can play my ps4 through remote play on the road.

That's really what Sony should advertise more with its current line of Xperia Z phones. Although I think they'll just drop the Xperia name all together and just call it PlayStation Phone (PSP haha)

I wish they would come out with a walkman branded phone and make it dedicated to music.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 foxhound_fox

@TigerSuperman said:
@foxhound_fox said:

S6 is already outdated. Get a fast plan with your phone company to upgrade your phone every 10-12 months.

By what exactly? It's got the best available chip, QHD display and an outstandingly fast camera.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MlauTheDaft

@Star67 said:

I have an Xperia Z2 and the phone itself is well built and fast. The best part about it is the remote play ability and being able to hook up a DS4 controller and play games. I take it with me when I travel and as long as I can connect to good wifi I can play my ps4 through remote play on the road.

That's really what Sony should advertise more with its current line of Xperia Z phones. Although I think they'll just drop the Xperia name all together and just call it PlayStation Phone (PSP haha)

I wish they would come out with a walkman branded phone and make it dedicated to music.

Yeah, if you have a PS4 it's even more appealing. They either have a branding problem (Xperia) or their advertising is off.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

yes i would if it was done well.

the xperia play was a good idea just badly executed. it was over priced and under supported. the hardware could have done with some improvements too.

but if sony narrowed the profit margin on the hardware and delivered proper support for it in terms of software then i would be very interested. there still isnt a proper mobile gaming device that i can put in my pocket and play proper games on. the 3DS and vita are too big and bulky. phones are crap for games and android/ios games are generally not worth the time.

a vita/PSP/PS1/PS2 compatible xperia play 2 would be amazing.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TigerSuperman

@foxhound_fox said:
@TigerSuperman said:
@foxhound_fox said:

By what exactly? It's got the best available chip, QHD display and an outstandingly fast camera.

It doesn't use the potential of the chip it has. It just has it to have it. QHD is fine but there are some issue with the quality of the screen compared to other rivlas in the area, fast camera means nothing if the quality is sub-par.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By foxhound_fox

@TigerSuperman said:
@foxhound_fox said:

It doesn't use the potential of the chip it has. It just has it to have it. QHD is fine but there are some issue with the quality of the screen compared to other rivlas in the area, fast camera means nothing if the quality is sub-par.

The QHD display has been reviewed as one of the best currently available, and the camera is 20 (?) Megapixels. Sure, it pales in comparison to the Nokia Lumia 1020's 41MP camera sensor, but the iPhone 6 is still sporting an 8 MP sensor... a joke by comparison.

You are just dismissing points I'm making without providing any evidence to support your claims or even providing examples of better phones. Most people I see on the web consider the S6 to be the current best phone. What do you consider better?

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

Perhaps but I think they should still make a non-phone version because that could be much cheaper and adding to the target market (and those that don't want to get another Sony/smartphone).

Better if double side-slideout because the previous slide-down isn't ergonomic for screen access while gaming like the VITA/3DS.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Sony is notoriously horrible at supporting all their handhelds

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Have an Xperia Z3 and out of all the phone I see around it kicks the shit out of them for looks. And has the most ridiculously long lasting battery. I can go days without even thinking of charging it with constant heavy use. Besides all the preloaded apps and built in social media functions to track me which I can delete and disable all of I'm happy with my phone. Better then any iphone I've ever had or any samsung phone by far. **** the fact the phone is drag and drop like a normal windows machine makes it so simple when trying to put music or video on or off the phone.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

@k--m--k: