Would there be more Switch multiplats if Bethesda licensed out id Tech 6/7?

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

Noticed some talks about the uncertainty of a few games on Switch which has me wondering: Would id Software's engine beat out Epic Games' Unreal Engine 4 if Bethesda didn't make it proprietary?

I'd like to think that the licensing of id Tech would be something along the lines of "it prints money" for Bethesda due to the Switch's popularity and if you look at a game like Wolfenstein: The New Colossus, it'd probably overheat the Switch to the point of being a hand grenade if it ran on any other engine than id's. I can definitely see a larger adoption rate of id Tech in Japan due to the regional popularity, and being able to make PS4/Switch multiplatform games would be a massive win for most companies. At the end of the day, id Tech 6 and 7 has something Unreal Engine 4 doesn't and that thing is scaleability. I feel like the engine being proprietary ensures that the scaleability factor will always be underutilized.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

I dont know the business reasons... But I do know that Switch needs more Fallout.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By flashn00b
@enzyme36 said:

I dont know the business reasons... But I do know that Switch needs more Fallout.

Not what I had in mind. Rather, if Square-Enix finally DOES decide "You know what? Chrono Trigger needs a remake" and rather than use Unreal Engine 4 like they did for Kingdom Hearts 3 and the FF7 remake, they instead were allowed to use the same engine that will be used to power Doom Eternal. I think there'd be a lot less issues trying to scale down an id Tech 7 game to be played on the Switch compared to scaling down an Unreal Engine 4 game to be played on the Switch.

Games like Bloodstained, Rad Rodgers Radical Edition and Redout Enhanced Edition highlight just how badly an Unreal Engine 4 game needs to be cut down in order to even run on Nintendo's hardware

Even a game like Daemon X Machina which was a timed exclusive for the Switch also highlights how problematic the engine can be on Nintendo's hardware, and I've been hearing a lot of murmurs regarding a willingness to double-dip on the game due to how bad the performance is.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 flashn00b
@saltslasher said:

This is what SW has come to?!?

IMO, i think it's a discussion worth having because I legit think that Bethesda is what's holding back the Nintendo Switch. Sure, its hardware is worse than the Xbox One's, though id Software has made a game engine that is capable of scaling down for the hardware difference while the only graphical downgrades involved are rendering resolution, target FPS and texture/shadow resolution. Meanwhile, the graphics of Rad Rodgers had to get shaved town to look like a crappy mobile game, Bloodstained had to have most of its lighting effects removed with some textures no longer being normal mapped and in the case of RedOut, entire pieces of environment had to be removed to such a degree that you get a flat world, the track itself and maybe a few doodads where the dev team can afford to place them.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

Not sure I understand the post, but if I'm reading this correctly, no, developers wouldn't choose to use a specific game engine because it could be ported to Switch, and no, that would never be the deciding factor in any business decision. Having third-party games on Switch is dope AF, but it is absolutely not the primary source of revenue for any third-party developer.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#7 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15913 Posts

@flashn00b said:
@enzyme36 said:

Not what I had in mind. Rather, if Square-Enix finally DOES decide "You know what? Chrono Trigger needs a remake" and rather than use Unreal Engine 4 like they did for Kingdom Hearts 3 and the FF7 remake, they instead were allowed to use the same engine that will be used to power Doom Eternal. I think there'd be a lot less issues trying to scale down an id Tech 7 game to be played on the Switch compared to scaling down an Unreal Engine 4 game to be played on the Switch.

Games like Bloodstained, Rad Rodgers Radical Edition and Redout Enhanced Edition highlight just how badly an Unreal Engine 4 game needs to be cut down in order to even run on Nintendo's hardware

Even a game like Daemon X Machina which was a timed exclusive for the Switch also highlights how problematic the engine can be on Nintendo's hardware, and I've been hearing a lot of murmurs regarding a willingness to double-dip on the game due to how bad the performance is.

DQXI S running on UE4, runs and looks fine.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

@saltslasher said:

This is what SW has come to?!?

You've made the exact same comment like 10 times this month. If you want SW to be purely "my gaming system rules and yours suck" you should probably find some other place.

Or change personality.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46255 Posts

DOOM and Wolfenstein look and run fantastic.

I'd like more ID tech 6/7 engine games in general.

Screw Unreal Engine.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11792 Posts

I doubt several devs would jump ship to ID Tech 6 just to get their games on Switch. I do think that the Nintendo Switch should have had some like DLSS. The Digital Foundry video of Switch capture footage being being upscaled through Nvidia shield's AI tech really shows how much it can do it for it. Devs wouldn't have to have the resolution as high and it leave would them some room to dedicate resources elsewhere.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

No because having a third party engine means dedicating vast resources to support and stuff. It also needs to have a robust set of tools to fulfill needs of wide variety of developers. ID Tech is made to fulfill the specific needs of Id and Bethesda. John Carmack commented on the very same comparison in the past saying exactly that they are a small studio and can't focus their resources on support. It also hinders the advancement and experimentation.

Just having a solid functioning engine is not enough. Look at Crytek with their Cryengine.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 osan0  Online
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

I don't think so.

As mentioned above: switch support, or lack there of, is not going to be a deciding factor of whether it's the engine to use or not for a project. In terms of engines the indie and AA side is already well supported for the switch. the big publishers are generally trying to have one engine to rule them all in house. e.g. i wouldnt be surprised if the next elder scrolls and bethesdas space RPG also run on Id Tech in some form.

multiplat support, at the end of the day, comes down to money. would a switch port be worth it to them? would it sell enough? would it make enough profit?

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Switch just needs to hop on one of these streaming services.

It's not a great devices for even moderately-demanding games. Why try to be something you're not?

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts

It's not the engine scaling well with Switch, it's the people handling the ports.

UE4 also scales extremely well, as seen with Fortnite, it's just nobody cares to put in the effort.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#15  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

I'm not sure it would make much of a difference. Ability of porting studio matters just as much as, if not more than, the engine of the game.

Another thing to consider is the fact that Unreal is built from the ground up for third-party licensing, with user-friendly tools and intuitive construction language. It might not be the cutting edge of technical excellence, but it's versatile, reliable and easy to learn and work with. Whereas at this point, id Tech would probably look like your typical in-house engine; thoroughly user unfriendly, full of arcane and opaque language, and would erupt into an explosion of bugs if handled for 20 minutes by anyone who doesn't know the code's quirks and workarounds.

It would take a substantial amount of work to turn id Tech into something as intuitive and reliable as Unreal, and I'm not sure Bethesda are interested into putting in that kind of work.