Would Nintendo Improve on the n64 Controller for the Classic?

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4195 Posts

This is both speculation and a question for those who purchased the NES and SNES Classic Editions. Were there any improvements to the controllers, or were they constructed identically to the original controllers?

The reason I'm asking, of course, is because the n64 controller had a pretty big, long term flaw. Sure, the tri-paddled design wasn't ideal, but it worked perfectly fine. I'm talking, of course, about those God-awful joysticks, namely, what happens to them after they wear down.

Do you guys think there's any chance Nintendo updates the controller upon the potential release of the n64 Classic to fix the joystick problem? Out of all the Classic Edition consoles, I think one of the most exciting aspects would be the ability to replace the old n64 controllers with fresh new ones.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

N64 Classic is not happening. Emulating it in general is quite hard and you don't have super cheap hardware available to make it worthwhile to do so, as opposed to the NES or SNES.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7181 Posts

I agree it would be very costly to emulate the N64 it's a shame that it probably won't happen.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3451 Posts

Nah, they'll just keep it as it is.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

The trigger underneath the controller is still the best place to put it in my opinion, just update it ergonomically.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#6 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
@MonsieurX said:

N64 Classic is not happening. Emulating it in general is quite hard and you don't have super cheap hardware available to make it worthwhile to do so, as opposed to the NES or SNES.

I heard the same. Do you know if a Classic GC is more viable?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MonsieurX

@KungfuKitten said:
@MonsieurX said:

Even less.

Raspberry Pi or equivalent are cheap and easy to come by, there's nothing with the sort of power to emulate a GC currently that'd be cheap

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

They will use the same cosmetic design, but the internal parts will be different such that the analog sticks won't wear out like they did back then.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55899 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Nintendo just enter the trademark on the N64. It's kinda be speculated N64 would get the classic treatment.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5234 Posts

@davillain- said:
@MonsieurX said:

Nintendo just enter the trademark on the N64. It's kinda be speculated N64 would get the classic treatment.

Can you provide the link to the trademark filing?

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3211 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Plus there would be a lack of Rare's games if a N64 classic was made. They only Rare games that we would get is Diddy Kong Racing and Donkey Kong 64 but that's it because they are owned by Nintendo. No Banjo Kazooie/Tootie, Conker, and Perfect Dark. And then then we have the issue of Goldeneye.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18782 Posts

@AcidTango:

Diddy Kong Racing(And Crash Team Racing) is better than Mario Kart 64.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@onesiphorus said:
@davillain- said:
@MonsieurX said:

https://www.techly.com.au/2018/05/28/nintendo-64-classic-near-future/

@AcidTango said:
@MonsieurX said:

Plus there would be a lack of Rare's games if a N64 classic was made. They only Rare games that we would get is Diddy Kong Racing and Donkey Kong 64 but that's it because they are owned by Nintendo. No Banjo Kazooie/Tootie, Conker, and Perfect Dark. And then then we have the issue of Goldeneye.

Yeah but there owned by MS not Sony, Ms gave banjo already for smash bro's. It wouldn't surprise me if they had some deal or gave them it for the n64 classic in "sign of good faith" move.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61427 Posts

@onesiphorus said:
@davillain- said:

This took a one-second Google search. Like davillain said, it's speculation. The link posts the trademark filing.

EnergyAbsorber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EnergyAbsorber
Member since 2005 • 5112 Posts

An even better question is can an N64 Classic even come up with at least 20 good games worth emulating if they’re not allowed to include all those classic Rare games?

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#16 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

@EnergyAbsorber: Yes - the system isn't all that convincing in its library.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5011 Posts

Pretty sure it can be emulated easily enough. Project 64 ran most of the games I tried just fine on a pentium 3 600 Mhz with a geforce 2, back in the early 2000s for me.

But yeah, there really aren’t 25 worthwhile games to include anyways.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts
@PSP107 said:

@AcidTango:

Diddy Kong Racing(And Crash Team Racing) is better than Mario Kart 64.

No way. The only area that I would rank Diddy Kong Racing and Crash Team Racing better than Mario Kart 64 is that they have more depth to their single player mode, but single player isn't the reason to play a kart game. With a group of friends, Mario Kart 64 is way more fun than both of them especially Diddy Kong Racing. Mario Kart 64 has better weapons, better courses, better characters, and still to this day the greatest battle mode ever put in a kart game.

Honestly, I always found Diddy Kong Racing to be kind of boring. My friends and I would try to play it for a while and then get bored and go back to Mario Kart 64. Crash Team Racing was fun and I definitely prefer it over Diddy Kong Racing, but it was still not as great as Mario Kart 64.

Mario Kart 64 > Crash Team Racing > Diddy Kong Racing

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#19 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9723 Posts

What do you think of this controller? It looks very good.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

N64 Classic is really easy to make for Nintendo. Just load all the N64 games from their Online Store to the mini console, and that's it!

As for the controller.. Well, its obviously too big to fit into a mini console box. But its also iconic, so fans would be furious if it was tampered with...

I really like the N64 controller and think it works fine every time I play OoT or SM64 on my old N64. So I hope they keep it, and not try to reform it into something different.

Maybe the mini console's hardware could be inside the controller. So that you just plug the controller to your telly vial HDMI and start playing away. Would work for me.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@MonsieurX said:
@KungfuKitten said:
@MonsieurX said:

Even less.

Raspberry Pi or equivalent are cheap and easy to come by, there's nothing with the sort of power to emulate a GC currently that'd be cheap

People have gotten the PSX emulator running pretty well. The n64 emulator is choppy on the Raspberry Pi, Seems its Nintendo and not some dude doing it for fun, I'm pretty sure that they could make it run on something like the Pi quite easily.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41489 Posts
@EnergyAbsorber said:

An even better question is can an N64 Classic even come up with at least 20 good games worth emulating if they’re not allowed to include all those classic Rare games?

From Nintendo:

Mario 64

Mario Kart 64

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Mischief Makers

Super Smash Bros. Classic (I almost wish we go back to THIS era of Smash)

Donkey Kong 64 (Rare may have made it, but Nintendo has the license)

Yoshi's Story

Paper Mario

Star Fox 64

Kirby 64

Pilotwings 64

Wave Race 64

Pokemon Snap

Pokemon Stadium

Pokemon Stadium 2

Pokemon Puzzle League

Mario Party 1

Mario Party 2

F-Zero X

Third parties:

Turok

Turok 2

Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron

Star Wars: Battle for Naboo

Star Wars: Episode I - Racer

Gauntlet Legends (best N64 co-op game out there)

Rayman 2: The Great Escape

Ms. Pac-Man: Maze Madness

Doom 64 (if Nintendo, WB, and Bethesda can work out a deal to get this on there)

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

I've been emulating N64 since the early 2000's.

Of course it's possible and it will happen, it won't be perfect emulation though.

I'll quote you when the N64 classic will be announced, btw we know it's coming, thanks to certain registered trademarks.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#24 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9723 Posts
@knight-k said:
@MonsieurX said:

Of course it's possible and it will happen, it won't be perfect emulation though.

I'll quote you when the N64 classic will be announced, btw we know it's coming, thanks to certain registered trademarks.

How good was the emulation for the N64 games that were on the Wii VC and Wii U VC?

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 robert_sparkes

If they can find a way of emulating the N64 I think it will sell like hot cakes pack it in with DK64, Mario, Wave race, Goldeneye, Mario Tennis and I'll be first in line. I just wonder if they can find a way of proper emulation.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34469 Posts

Why are people saying it would be hard for Nintendo to make an N64 mini because it would be hard to emulate the games? They've already done that, without any problems. They'd just have to put those games into some cheapo hardware, make it look like an N64, sell it for 5 times the actual value, and morons will gobble it up.

Easy money, and they've already said "**** you" to the fans who were waiting for VC for Switch. So I see no reason why not.

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

If they put body harvest and 1080 on it I'd give it a nudge for a good 8-10 minutes at least.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22545 Posts

Enough with the classic consoles.... They were neat at the outset, now they're annoying because these games could be released on their current platform and they're being held back so we can be tied to our TV again like 20 years ago...

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MonsieurX

@knight-k said:
@MonsieurX said:

Registering trademarks doesn't mean anything

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 robert_sparkes

Forgot all about 1080 that was an amazing game. The N64 had a better library than I gave it credit for.

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

@GameboyTroy said:
@knight-k said:
@MonsieurX said:

How good was the emulation for the N64 games that were on the Wii VC and Wii U VC?

I don't know, never played N64 games on Wii or Wii U.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55899 Posts

@onesiphorus said:
@davillain- said:
@MonsieurX said:

Okay, I made a thread on the N64 Trademark here like 3 weeks ago containing the link! How in the world did you miss that thread? And I see lundy also provided the link as well.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

A few responses:

The NES Classic and SNES Classic controllers are the same shapes and sizes as their originals. They are probably not exactly the same materials wise, but dang close. My one complaint about the NES one is that the d-pad was making my thumb a little raw. Too rough a plastic I guess. SNES didn't have this problem.

The Wii did a great job at emulating N64 games. I played Mario 64 and Ogre Battle 64 on Wii, and both games played great.

I don't see why it would be so impossible to create an N64 Classic. Let that be Nintendo's problem. Even if they have to charge $100 for it I don't care, just make the games run well.

Donkey Kong 64- a Rare made game was on WiiU VC. Why couldn't Diddy Kong Racing also make the list? Also, Nintendo was able to block Microsoft from releasing Goldeneye remastered on the Xbox 360, so wouldn't they be able to get Goldeneye on the N64 Classic?

Here would be my list of games:

1 Mario 64
2 Ocarina
3 Majora
4 Paper Mario
5 Mario Kart 64
6 Mario Party 2
7 Super Smash Bros
8 Goldeneye
9 Kirby 64
10 Starfox 64
11 F-Zero X
12 Pokemon Snap
13 Pokemon Stadium (1 or 2)
14 Yoshi's Story
15 Donkey Kong 64
16 Diddy Kong Racing
17 Wave Race
18 1080 Snowboarding
19 Bomberman 64
20 Ogre Battle 64

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34  Edited By Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

If they don't make it, that is a major improvement on it.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 43933 Posts

Still have my N64 and 4 controllers and last time I used it all was working fine so nothing needed here. :P

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

i cant even think 10 worth playing games on N64, let alone 20. Zeldas, Mario, kart, Donkey then what ? Goldeneye is unberable to play. Wave race 64 was meeh, Banzoo was good and maybe paper mario... then what ?