Poll Worst Nintendo Console? (82 votes)

NES 0%
SNES 0%
64 6%
Gamecube 5%
Wii 32%
Wii U 48%
Switch 10%

Wii U. It was a disaster for Nintendo. Lacked a lot of power punches in the games department and the actual console lacked the quality assurance they are so brilliant at.

Runner-up: Wii. I don't care if it was Nintendo's best selling console, hated motion controls, SD visuals were so 2001 and tons of shoverlware. Only saving grace was Mario Galaxy

Too-early: Switch, but its already better than the Wii U

• 
DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56079 Posts

Everyone knows the Virtual Boy is by far, the worst Nintendo console in history.

Thread/

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

Wii u. Flat out. Every ninety console I've owned since the nes, the wii u was ass trash

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

Virtual boy obviously

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

I want to say Wii U, but I think I actually preferred it over the Wii. The Wii was just so gimmicky.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

Anyone who says the Wii U or any console other than the Virtual Boy must be ignorant of the history of Nintendo consoles. The Virtual Boy was a commerical disaster that it was pulled from the North American market in less than a year and was never released in Europe. That did not happen with the under-performing Wii U that managed to stay in the market years longer than the Virtual Boy.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58900 Posts

Virtual Boy seems like the most obvious one.

Even if you ignore the financial failure, it poorly designed and got the Gameboy creator out of a job.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

We don't speak of the Virtual Boy.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

People seem to forget the Wii U was really good just didn’t sell. You had all that first party Nintendo U stuff plus it’s a fully BC Wii. I voted N64 but for those voting Wii U I gotta ask why not vote Wii since it does much less than the Wii U?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

Definitely the Virtual Boy.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34596 Posts

Ignoring Virtual Boy, yeah, probably the Wii U. I'd say Wii for being so gimmicky, but it did have some really great games. Too bad many of them were way worse than they should've been just because they forced unprecise motion controls on them.

@vaidream45 said:

People seem to forget the Wii U was really good just didn’t sell. You had all that first party Nintendo U stuff plus it’s a fully BC Wii. I voted N64 but for those voting Wii U I gotta ask why not vote Wii since it does much less than the Wii U?

In my case Wii was better simply because it had a few more games than Wii U that I liked. Wii U had a shitty 3D Mario game, very shitty Paper Mario game, pretty dissapointing Pikmin game, no Zelda, no Metroid. It never used the controller in a meaningful way and just made it bulky and uncomfortable to hold. Whole console felt like Nintendo weren't sure on what they were gonna make and just settled with something they didn't even like themselves.

And what do you mean with "Wii does much less than Wii U"? It did more, since it had more games. And it was fully BC with GC. Fully BC with GC is way better than being fully BC with Wii.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@Litchie: I agree. IMO the Wii was good in part because it was also a GameCube. That's way more interesting than Wii BC for the WiiU

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44049 Posts

Wii but I never owned a Wii U so others I see picking the U are probably correct. :P

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

The Wii/Wii U/Switch are the worst.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

Wii.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#15 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2948 Posts

The Wii was the most foul thing in the history of gaming. I thought I was buying a next gen system Nintendo!

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

I could have sworn we already had this thread a few weeks ago??

But answer is obviously Wii U!

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#17 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

NES.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Wii ruined me on Nintendo for two generations. I absolutely hate motion controls as the Wii proved to me. It killed Skyward Sword completely and the controllers sucked.

When I saw Nintendo planned to do more of the same crap with Wii-U it was an automatic pass from me. It appears Nintendo isn't quite done with motion controls given Switch has the ability but at least most games don't force that crap on you. Games like Mario Party that do force it... you guessed it. Automatic pass.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

"Worst" is quite ambiguous.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

I say Gamecube only because unlike every other Nintendo console, it really didn't try to do anything new or interesting. The Wii U under-performed at retail, but it at least tried to innovate even if developers didn't seem entirely sure how to capitalize on the second screen.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#21  Edited By dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Virtual Boy seems like the most obvious one.

Even if you ignore the financial failure, it poorly designed and got the Gameboy creator out of a job.

Miyamoto says that Nintendo's real mistake with the Virtual Boy was marketing it as a game console instead of a toy and that it would have been more successful if promoted as the latter.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

Wii U. And maybe I was young or something but I used to love playing Wario World and Mario Tennis on my Virtual Boy so it didn't fail me at all

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

who cares...

All I know is the Wii was dope, and under-appreciated. Sky Soldier, MP Trilogy, MH Tri, Galaxy 2, Sin & Punishment, Xeno, RE4Wiimake... all sick among many more.

Also Im pretty sure that everyone slept on Pandora's Tower... that game is terribly underrated, one of the best games on the system, and is what all 3d Castelvania games wish they could be.

Kaczmar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Kaczmar
Member since 2018 • 43 Posts

Nintendo 64 was. By relying on cartridges instead of the CD pushed millions of gamers to the PS One. If the N64 would have been CD based, the entire course of gaming history might be different.

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

Probably Wii U. (Ignoring VB) Almost no 3rd party support after its first year and outside of the typical heavy hitters, little support from Nintendo.

I feel like the Wii has some hidden gems alot of people (myself included) didn't play. And Nintendo atleast tried to put games out for it in the first couple years.

Gamecube had decent 3rd party support for a few years which elevates it above the Wii/ Wii U.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

Virtual boy

Since its not an option then Wii u

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#27 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

Virtual Boy is the only correct answer.

Of the consoles listed, Wii U. The WIi U had some great games, just not in the quantity one would expect on a Nintendo console.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I'd say the Wii.

Not based on sales numbers, but ironically because of them. The Wii was a perfect recipe. It arrived at the perfect place at the perfect time with the perfect conditions to skyrocket it to success on the back of those who had previously not been the foundation of Nintendo's sustenance prior. Nintendo's direction was rewarded and reinforced with something and from an audience that didn't give a single **** about their long-term prospects, but convinced only of the potential and promise of a vastly incapable technology marketed brilliantly, of which they very quickly forgot once the fad passed. Nintendo bought into this and shifted their market demographic accordingly ever since. I don't believe the Wii's success was mostly due to Nintendo, I find it to be more accidental and coincidental, and even they were surprised at its popularity. And ever since, Nintendo has been chasing that golden goose of desperately thrusting their ***** at the wall in the attempt to find the hole that's going to pay off just as the Wii did.

Had the Wii failed, I believe it would have forced Nintendo to confront issues they've lagged upon for years to keep them up to modern standards that the Wii's stratospheric success allowed them to ignore for so long. The Wii's success permeates the Nintendo of present, it mars it, and it is in reality a curse from their past cloaked in the facade of success in their present of as far as I'm concerned. We still are forced to endure their useless superficial gimmicks that are nothing but a pain in the ass and a large impediment to be able to enjoy their games.

I attribute that to the Wii. By far Nintendo's worst console, as it has held the biggest ramifications on shifting Nintendo from a game-focused company who innovated their hardware to compliment them, into a hardware-focused company who relegated their software to guinea pigs in order to justify it. One who now seems adamant to make hardware their focus in the attempt to replicate the success of what they saw of how gimmicks could benefit them.......and their games, the heart of who they are and always have been as a company, have consequently suffered due to this fundamental shift in corporate philosophy.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

@vaidream45 said:

I gotta know, how do you see the N64 as the worst Nintendo console?

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7223 Posts

Wii sold great but the motion controls just were not for me. Wii u had mario kart 8 3D world and breath of the wild so couldn't be voted the worst for me.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

List is incomplete, the obvious one is Virtual Boy. But out of that list I'd have to pick the Wii, Nintendo was dominating that gen and focused too much on casual experience which made me really uninterested with their brand in many ways. I still bought the good games like Smash Brawl and Mario Galaxy (among others) but that console simple didn't feel right. I didn't hate the motion controls as much as others, I actually like the nunchuck+ Wiimote combo for certain games but it obviously didn't have a long lasting appeal.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

@heathen75: really the reasons are because of how I feel about the N64 these days. Not just the N64 but that whole Gen. ps1, Saturn, and N64 represent that first dive into 3d that was just gross. Though I appreciate the pioneering they did i just can’t really play any of those games anymore with their mud like graohics and clunky consoles. Once the next gen kicks in with the gamecube and ps2 it became really playable and enjoyable for me. At the time the N64 was pretty great but it doesn’t hold up for me. My top 2 Nintendo consoles that have conquered the test of time are the SNES and the Gamecube. NES was to the SNES as I feel the N64 was to the Gamecube. Them figuring stuff out waiting for the tech to actually get good enough to accomplish some great looking and feeling games. When I looked at this list I thought for each console “would I wanna play anything on this system now?” Other than Mario Kart 64 I couldn’t think of one game I would play. Tried Goldeneye many times over the past few years and it’s just crappy now lol.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

Thank goodness I never had an opportunity to experience the displeasure of playing a Virtual Boy. Having said that, I say the Wii because I really hate motion controls.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34596 Posts
@enzyme36 said:

who cares...

All I know is the Wii was dope, and under-appreciated. Sky Soldier, MP Trilogy, MH Tri, Galaxy 2, Sin & Punishment, Xeno, RE4Wiimake... all sick among many more.

Also Im pretty sure that everyone slept on Pandora's Tower... that game is terribly underrated, one of the best games on the system, and is what all 3d Castelvania games wish they could be.

That game did look cool.. It came so late though, I was all Wii'd out by then. :P

MarioFan264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 MarioFan264
Member since 2004 • 1025 Posts

The Wii was really not good, IMO. Following the amazing games on the N64 and GCN, the Wii just couldn't keep up. Additionally, the forced motion controls made the system a big pain in the rear. Motion controls are just gimmickry, and the Wii not even allowing you to get past the menu without using the Wii Remote's motion control was really bad.

The Wii was easily Nintendo's lowest point. I couldn't care less if it sold well. I couldn't care less that the Wii U tanked financially. The Wii U was a better console in every single way.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

@Litchie said:
@enzyme36 said:

who cares...

That game did look cool.. It came so late though, I was all Wii'd out by then. :P

Indeed right at the tail end of its existence... but Im glad my Wii elbow didnt lock up yet. It was a real gem.

darkzoomer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 darkzoomer
Member since 2018 • 105 Posts

If we're going by home consoles then it's definitely N64.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

I want to say Wii U, but I think I actually preferred it over the Wii. The Wii was just so gimmicky.

Well, the Wii and Wii-U were similar on the games front. But I think Wii had the edge on games, Wii probably had it least 20+ important games, wheras Wii-U barely crossed 10. - and of course Wii was at least a huge commercial success. Plus even if it was a "gimmick", there were a few games that used that "gimmick" and were genuinely brilliant. Wii Sports and Sports Resort on their own made the system worthwhile imo.... and really that's part of the issue with Wii. A huge chunk of the install base basically wanted nothing else but party games and Wii sports style games. Thus for a system with 100 million install base, outside of Nintnedo 1st party it was almost a shovelware machine.

Wii-U was just on another level of sadness. Total commercial failure. Underpowered. Overpriced. Plus I feel like the tablet was a gimmick as well, the whole thing was ill conceived. The tablet was a crippling mistake. It sold so poorly the shovelware companies weren't even interested.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@appariti0n: VB isn't a console though.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts
@vfighter said:

In what way wasn't it a console?

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#41  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Thread doesn't include Nintendo Eye Destroyer(TM), aka Virtual Boy, i.e. this abominable instrument of pure evil:

If you put your ear next to the speaker while viewing this image, you can hear it laughing madly with evil intent - before it gouges your eardrums out.
If you put your ear next to the speaker while viewing this image, you can hear it laughing madly with evil intent - before it gouges your eardrums out.

Thread fail.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Virtual Boy. Didn't know a single soul that owned one. I imagine in 40 years, if you still have one, it'll be a collector's item selling for 10k haha.

I'm also not a big fan of the Wii; the only thing I ever saw anyone play on it was Mario Kart, Zelda, and Bowling. Motion controllers are terrible, too, as were the visuals.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1852 Posts

LMAO! Dead at all these salty people voting for the Wii. The motion controls weren't even bad, and you could use GameCube controllers on the white Wii folks.

Anyway, the worst one to me was the GameCube. It didn't even have the best third party, so I don't get why people jerk it off so much. Even the Switch is going to get more third party support than the GameCube, way more. Also, the Nintendo exclusives just weren't good save for a few: Mario Party 6, Twilight Princess (definitive version on the Wii), Melee, and Star Fox Assault. Mario Sunshine is easily the worst game in the fucking series and Double Dash Mario Kart was a huge no for me. I never got into the other games like Metroid, Pikman, etc. Third party games weren't the best either. The only good ones were Soul Calibur with Link and that Spongebob game based on the movie. Other than that, they were a huge dud for me.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56079 Posts

@vfighter said:

Dude, everyone (including me) in this thread is saying Virtual Boy is a console. Even Nintendo was trying to make it as a console. Where are you going with this isn't a console?

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

I voted Switch. And that’s coming from someone who’s owned every console Nintendo has ever launched (excluding a 3DS and including a Virtual Boy). The game selection is poor, performance is worse comparatively to its competitors, storage is abysmal, and online is a sad joke.

If I bought a Switch, I’d only own Mario Odyssey. One game is not worth a console/handheld hybrid purchase. It just isn’t.

For those voting Virtual Boy - have you ever even played it? Mario Clash, Wario, Tennis, Red Alarm, and Galactic Pinball are actually good games. Hell, even Boxing has its moments. And if you’re a Tetris fan, it has two variations of it. I’ve read that Space Invaders is good too, but it’s price has skyrocketed to the point of not justifying a purchase.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2927 Posts

@valgaav_219: I am glad that you enjoyed the Virtual Boy. Actually, it's the first time ever that I hear about someone who actually likes the console.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#47 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

The Pee U.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@luxuryheart said:

LMAO! Dead at all these salty people voting for the Wii. The motion controls weren't even bad, and you could use GameCube controllers on the white Wii folks.

Anyway, the worst one to me was the GameCube. It didn't even have the best third party, so I don't get why people jerk it off so much. Even the Switch is going to get more third party support than the GameCube, way more. Also, the Nintendo exclusives just weren't good save for a few: Mario Party 6, Twilight Princess (definitive version on the Wii), Melee, and Star Fox Assault. Mario Sunshine is easily the worst game in the fucking series and Double Dash Mario Kart was a huge no for me. I never got into the other games like Metroid, Pikman, etc. Third party games weren't the best either. The only good ones were Soul Calibur with Link and that Spongebob game based on the movie. Other than that, they were a huge dud for me.

The Gamecube failed a bit in the market, but it was probably the most smartly designed console of that gen. It just couldn't compete with the PS2 marketing juggernaut. I guess Gamecube was missing some features like "online" or not being able to play DVD movies, but back then I didn't really miss those things (only played PC online at that point, literally never took my PS2 online, and watched movies strictly on DVD player not on game console).

I mean sure, it had the worst Mario game probably... and in contrast the Wii iterations of Mario were arguably some of the best... but that's just Mario. It's your own fault if you didnt' play the Metroid Prime Games, Star Wars Rogue Leader, Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion, Eternal Darkness, the GOAT Zelda games, Resident Evil Remake and Resident Evil 0, etc. Back then those were some of the best games of the generation.

Really, the amount of games on Gamecube - while not great - is probably comparable to the Wii overall. The 3rd party of the Gamecube was a "rebound" of sorts from the N64. It's really a sadder reflection on the Wii, because the Wii sold more than 5x as much as Gamecube and still barely exceeded it in the quality games department (if it did at all). The Gamecube, for a presumed "failure", actually had a surprising depth and volume of games. Of course the PS2 still dominated my mindshare, but at least I could bring myself to actually get a Gamecube and play extensively for a number of years at the end of the gen. I bought a Wii at launch and after the fad wore off, I only played a handful of games on it, I'm pretty sure I actually played the Wii less than Gamecube. The Wii-U was such an obvious disaster I couldn't even bring myself to purchase it.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@davillain- said:

Everyone knows the Virtual Boy is by far, the worst Nintendo console in history.

Thread/

I'm pretty sure that was designed as a portable device, i.e. the "Boy" in the name.