World's Largest Population Getting The One Soon

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

TCHBO!

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

@xhawk27 said:

TCHBO!

Really?????? The One has not launched in all territories so are us Lemmings owned???

Come on..............

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts
@xhawk27 said:

TCHBO!

the chinese have been owned?

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

@CrownKingArthur said:
@xhawk27 said:

TCHBO!

Yeah the chinese hermits have been owned!

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#55 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Haha nice topic title.....good news, although i have no idea how the market there works with respect to videogames, but it will be interesting to see what happens

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By kuu2
@Alucard_Prime said:

Haha nice topic title.....good news, although i have no idea how the market there works with respect to videogames, but it will be interesting to see what happens

I don't think anyone knows how many The One will sell over there but it is a new area for MSoft and the Xbox.

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 CrownKingArthur

@kuu2 said:
@Alucard_Prime said:

I don't think anyone knows how many The One will sell over there but it is a new area for MSoft and the Xbox.

and video game consoles in general ... if i'm not mistaken.

"Consoles were banned in China under a 2000 rule to protect the mental well-being of children against perceived corruption."

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 kuu2

@CrownKingArthur said:

@kuu2 said:
@Alucard_Prime said:

and video game consoles in general ... if i'm not mistaken.

"Consoles were banned in China under a 2000 rule to protect the mental well-being of children against perceived corruption."

Good to know, thanks for the info. Sad to see laws like that, and I wonder what they have to force feed the population for them to swallow such schlop.

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 CrownKingArthur

@kuu2: very corrupt over there. i'll show you something briefly:

the chinese government will censor social media

In 2010, Chinese human rights activist Liu Xiaobo became a forbidden topic in Chinese media due to his winning the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_censorship_in_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China#Social_media_websites

mate i couldn't live anywhere without freedom of speech. and freedom of speech is meaningless unless we're willing to let people say things we don't like hearing.

i mean, look at that, they won't even celebrate one of their constituents.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#60  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@Mozelleple112 said:

This is also reflected by the fact that the USA is by far the largest video game market in the world with a reported number of 180 million gamers (Read it in an article here at Gamespot)

Not sure which GameSpot article you mean, but it must be outdated. Currently, China has the largest video game market in the world, with 490 million gamers, bringing in revenues of $13.73 billion in 2013. In comparison, the US market is currently worth $12.97 billion, as of 2013.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#61 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@CrownKingArthur said:
@xhawk27 said:

TCHBO!

Rofl.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#62  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@CrownKingArthur said:

@kuu2: very corrupt over there. i'll show you something briefly:

the chinese government will censor social media

In 2010, Chinese human rights activist Liu Xiaobo became a forbidden topic in Chinese media due to his winning the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_censorship_in_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China#Social_media_websites

mate i couldn't live anywhere without freedom of speech. and freedom of speech is meaningless unless we're willing to let people say things we don't like hearing.

i mean, look at that, they won't even celebrate one of their constituents.

It's pretty common for many governments, some more than others, to practice censorship when it comes to something they deem a threat to national security. Free speech that could lead to widespread anti-government rebellion and/or terrorism is where most governments usually draw the line on free speech. Not saying it's right or wrong, but that's just the way it is.

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 CrownKingArthur

@Jag85: yeah man. i know what you're saying.

btw i found your post comparing the video gaming markets of US and China by dollars, and by player count most interesting.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#64 TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts

@Jag85 said:

@Mozelleple112 said:

This is also reflected by the fact that the USA is by far the largest video game market in the world with a reported number of 180 million gamers (Read it in an article here at Gamespot)

Not sure which GameSpot article you mean, but it must be outdated. Currently, China has the largest video game market in the world, with 490 million gamers, bringing in revenues of $13.73 billion in 2013. In comparison, the US market is currently worth $12.97 billion, as of 2013.

Issue with this statement, is that what adds to the chinese market includes devices that other countries don't count for gaming.

g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

Piracy will be an issue, and going Digital Download only might be the way past this.
Either way, more people playing games and paying for it would be good for Microsoft and its developers.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

That's a Billion potential hackers who will hack the console and rip off all the games, probably rip off the console too.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 kuu2

@Jag85 said:

@Mozelleple112 said:

Wow..............thanks for the information!

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#68 Solid_Max13
Member since 2006 • 3596 Posts

@kuu2 said:
@Alucard_Prime said:

That's the thing it's hard to say what will happen, in China, it could be good or bad, though most PS4 and Wii U are being sold illegally in China as of now, but as it stands it's a tough market.

And yes I know i'm using wikipedia.

"

Online gaming in the People's Republic of China represents one of the largest and fastest growing Internet business sectors in the world. With 457 million Internet users currently active in the PRC, the country now has the largest online user base in world, of which two-thirds engage in online game play.[1] The average online gamer in China is relatively young (18 to 30 years old), male, and has at least completed a secondary level of education.[2] Demographically the online gaming user base in China is very similar to base of China Internet users, most of whom live in larger cities.[3]

Online games in China fall into two primary categories: MMORPGs and MOCGs, the former have a predilection for persistent online worlds where hundreds to thousands of game players can interact simultaneously; the latter is a generic term for games played competitively online without the existence of a persistent online realm (games as simple as online Ma Jiang and online competitive card gameswould fall under this category).In 2011, there were over 100 million Chinese MMO gamers.[4]

Official Chinese statistics regarding online gaming state that as of the close of 2006 revenue from China's online gaming industry reached 8 billion RMB or around 1.04 billion US dollars, with earnings reaching around 33 billion RMB or 4.3 billion US dollars. Additionally, while American, Japanese, and South Korean companies have traditionally dominated the market, Chinese developed software now holds a 65% market share on the mainland, with an additional 20 million in revenue generated by users outside of China.[5]

The online gaming market in China grew to $1.6 billion in 2007, and is expected to exceed $3 Billion in 2010. QQ Games is one such popular online game. Growth was driven in part by China's most popular online game, Netease's Fantasy Westward Journey, which now has 1.66 million peak concurrent users. Another contributor is Giant's Zhengtu Online, which has 1.52 million peak concurrent users.[6]

China is now the world's largest online gaming market, contributing one-third to the global revenue in this sector in 2009, or 56 percent of the Asia Pacific total[7]"

"

Piracy[edit]

See also: Intellectual property in China

Because of the high amount of software piracy in China, many foreign game companies have been reluctant to enter the country's market with single player or console games. Instead, they have focused on selling online titles such as massively multiplayer online games as income from these titles comes largely from subscription fees or in game item purchases rather than the purchase price of the title itself.

Nintendo claims that, as of February 14, 2008, China remains the main source of manufacturing pirated Nintendo DS and Wii games. [34]"

"Popular games in China"

Crossfire bigger than LoL

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#69  Edited By melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@melonfarmerz said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@misterpmedia said:

They will buy the Xbox One knock off that will immediately go to market shortly after. Same with the PS4. I don't think China is this special untapped resource people keep making it out to be. Colour me surprised if either console takes off in China.

China's got a shit load of money, lord knows the U.S. has borrowed enough of it. The problem is the quality of life for the working class is laughable, soy sauce made with sewage, exploding computer chairs, entire buildings made of packed trash.

The gap between the wealthy and poor is one of the largest on the planet.

I've worked in China as an expat for 5 years. I'm assuming you're commenting based on what you've read online and seen through the news. Your view on the wealth gap and working class is so backwards and wrong. Instead of focusing on what you've seen on the news maybe once, about sewage and what not, you should probably try to see what things are like for yourself. That's like Chinese people thinking the US gets hit by terrorist attacks every few hours because they once read a story about the Boston bombing.

That said, Xbox One fanboys really shouldn't bank on China boosting sales. Chinese gamers are huge on RTS and MOBA's. Nobody cares about Ryse or Titanfall...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/28/world/asia/most-chinese-cities-fail-pollution-standard-china-says.html?_r=0

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/10/28/you-may-never-eat-street-food-in-china-again-after-watching-this-video/

http://www.weirdasianews.com/2010/02/05/shanghai-wonderbridge-trash-collapses/

http://business.asiaone.com/news/woman-badly-injured-exploding-computer-chair

I'm sure there's some nice aspects to Chinese life, but China quality is a very real thing.

Ya I see where you're coming from but again, these are some very very very isolated incidents. Remember when that one Toyotas breaks failed in the middle of a freeway? Or when that guy in Miami on bath salts ate the other guys face?

From those two stories, if I only had access to the news, I'd believe America's a country where the cars don't even work and there's face eating people everywhere.

That aside though, we should probably talk about games lol.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@melonfarmerz said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@melonfarmerz said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@misterpmedia said:

They will buy the Xbox One knock off that will immediately go to market shortly after. Same with the PS4. I don't think China is this special untapped resource people keep making it out to be. Colour me surprised if either console takes off in China.

China's got a shit load of money, lord knows the U.S. has borrowed enough of it. The problem is the quality of life for the working class is laughable, soy sauce made with sewage, exploding computer chairs, entire buildings made of packed trash.

The gap between the wealthy and poor is one of the largest on the planet.

I've worked in China as an expat for 5 years. I'm assuming you're commenting based on what you've read online and seen through the news. Your view on the wealth gap and working class is so backwards and wrong. Instead of focusing on what you've seen on the news maybe once, about sewage and what not, you should probably try to see what things are like for yourself. That's like Chinese people thinking the US gets hit by terrorist attacks every few hours because they once read a story about the Boston bombing.

That said, Xbox One fanboys really shouldn't bank on China boosting sales. Chinese gamers are huge on RTS and MOBA's. Nobody cares about Ryse or Titanfall...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/28/world/asia/most-chinese-cities-fail-pollution-standard-china-says.html?_r=0

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/10/28/you-may-never-eat-street-food-in-china-again-after-watching-this-video/

http://www.weirdasianews.com/2010/02/05/shanghai-wonderbridge-trash-collapses/

http://business.asiaone.com/news/woman-badly-injured-exploding-computer-chair

I'm sure there's some nice aspects to Chinese life, but China quality is a very real thing.

Ya I see where you're coming from but again, these are some very very very isolated incidents. Remember when that one Toyotas breaks failed in the middle of a freeway? Or when that guy in Miami on bath salts ate the other guys face?

From those two stories, if I only had access to the news, I'd believe America's a country where the cars don't even work and there's face eating people everywhere.

That aside though, we should probably talk about games lol.

Agreed, it wasn't my intention to appear like I hate China, Just a little wary of the street food. and the computer chairs, and crossing bridges :P

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Shamelessly copy pasted from a Chinese gamer:

1. Video game is not big in China due to it was banned by the government although you can get the consoles and games easily from the stores which are imported from Japan/HK/Taiwan;

2. PC gamers are huge in China and console gamers are small. There is always argument between 2 groups about which is better, PC gamers or TV games;

3. We Chinese dislike Japanese but we are still supporting their products, In fact, there are big amount of people can be called Sony fans;

3. Most of Chinese gamers only play Japanese style games and dislike western games (the situation are changing now because Japanese games were quite weak in the past gen and the gamers started to try western games.) Therefore, Sony PS & PS2 were popular in China, but OG Xbox was sold very poor;

4. Xbox 360 was popular in China due to hack, but still way less than PS3;

5. Most of Chinese gamers dislike Nintendo because they think Nintendo games are for kids & housewives.

kuu2 in abject ruins, as usual.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 kuu2

@GrenadeLauncher: Is Chinese Gamer some website, because even the mighty IgnoranceLauncher would not be dumb enough to quote some random gamer as proof?

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#73 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

I would like to say though, having been in China three months ago, they really don't care about video games where I was.

GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 GrenadeLauncher

In b4 another locked, shit kuu2 thread. It's become a pattern.

trasherhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 trasherhead
Member since 2005 • 3058 Posts

@UnbiasedPoster said:

Lol, banking on China to come through to help save face?

After that flops, what territories will lems latch to next?

Scandinavian countries? The Middle East? Laos?

How is the Scandinavian countries a bad choice?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

I expected Belgium.

Everything from China is coming over here anyway: Panda bears, the president, ...

GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 GrenadeLauncher

Hold your horses, lemscum - looks like SCE is setting up a China branch.

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/140401.html

Loosely translated:

Notice of personnel and organizational changes

Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) is to inform so conducted a personnel and organizational changes as follows.

-Organizational changes (4/1/2014)

[Sony Computer Entertainment Japan Asia]

1 rename Faculty of management and management planning and Management Department.

â—‹ Japan marketing department marketing communication Department renamed the.

1 new China Strategy Division set up.

-Personnel (as of 4/1/2014)

New jobs
[] In the position from the conventional.
Full name
<< Sony Computer Entertainment Japan Asia >>
Management DivisionYonai Hideyuki
Marketing Communication DepartmentYoshinori Matsumoto
China Strategy DivisionSoeda Warrior
Customer Relations Department
[SCEJA SVP]
Uemachi Mitsuru
パブリッシャーリレーション, General ManagerKoichiro katsurayama

• ※SVP... Senior Vice President

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

1 billion screaming Chinamen just itching to get their hands on this state of the art beauty known as the Microsoft Xbox One. MS will break its record again as the fastest console sold.

1 million sales???? Pfffft. That number is child's play compared to the number the Chinese will buy on day one.

GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 GrenadeLauncher

@FoxbatAlpha said:

1 billion screaming Chinamen just itching to get their hands on this state of the art beauty known as the Microsoft Xbox One. MS will break its record again as the fastest console sold.

1 million sales???? Pfffft. That number is child's play compared to the number the Chinese will buy on day one.

The Chinese prefer F2P PC and mobile games. What makes you think they'll pay a premium to do the same on an Xbone?

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

@kuu2 said:

@Wasdie said:

No console, especially a $300+ console, is going to do well in China. Too expensive. Unless they want to drop the price significantly in China, they don't stand much of a chance. Furthermore there is the issue of software and media. China is a really weird place when it comes to software and media. It's going to be very difficult for a console to make itself appealing enough for the average Chinese gamers to buy one over continuing to use their PC.

I guess we'll see what happens. I don't expect China to be that big of a market for consoles.

Correct, any console will have to localize for this market but MSoft stands a better chance doing that than their Japanese counterparts. It sounds like MSoft has already started partnering with local media to help with localization. Most of China is poor but they have a billion people and even capturing .5% would be a win.

Your living in dreamworld, Xbone will do nothing there, just like the 360 did nothing, they don't want it, they already have the gaming culture they want Xbone offers nothing for them, your clutching at straws about this billion people, tell me out of the billion people, how many of them live off in the mountains and live off the land and have hardly any money, pretty much half if not more live this way.

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

@trasherhead said:

@UnbiasedPoster said:

Lol, banking on China to come through to help save face?

After that flops, what territories will lems latch to next?

Scandinavian countries? The Middle East? Laos?

How is the Scandinavian countries a bad choice?

Nice countries overall - clean, beautiful countryside, and 10/10 women, but it's not going to win anyone the console war. AKA, I just randomly pulled three areas that came into my head.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@bezza2011 said:

Your living in dreamworld, Xbone will do nothing there, just like the 360 did nothing, they don't want it, they already have the gaming culture they want Xbone offers nothing for them, your clutching at straws about this billion people, tell me out of the billion people, how many of them live off in the mountains and live off the land and have hardly any money, pretty much half if not more live this way.

Of course the 360 didn't do well there. The Chinese government had banned game console all through last gen and just recently lifted the ban.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Economically the world's largest population is also in poverty for much of the country.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

@kuu2 said:

@Wasdie said:

No console, especially a $300+ console, is going to do well in China. Too expensive. Unless they want to drop the price significantly in China, they don't stand much of a chance. Furthermore there is the issue of software and media. China is a really weird place when it comes to software and media. It's going to be very difficult for a console to make itself appealing enough for the average Chinese gamers to buy one over continuing to use their PC.

I guess we'll see what happens. I don't expect China to be that big of a market for consoles.

Correct, any console will have to localize for this market but MSoft stands a better chance doing that than their Japanese counterparts. It sounds like MSoft has already started partnering with local media to help with localization. Most of China is poor but they have a billion people and even capturing .5% would be a win.

You think a U.S. Company has a better chance of localizing in an asian market than an ASIAN company?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

I for one am glad China lifted the ban, the more people that can game the better.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@bforrester420 said:

You think a U.S. Company has a better chance of localizing in an asian market than an ASIAN company?

I actually agree with @kuu2 on this one. Microsoft is already a major software vendor in China where Japanese products aren't as popular. Microsoft has more experience localizing in China and interacting within the really messed up markets.

If any console is going to be successful I would guess it would be a Microsoft console. I'm not sure what kind of local game consoles will be made and distributed in China though.

China is practically a different planet when it comes to business. Nobody has a real advantage in the Chinese market.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

@Wasdie said:

@bezza2011 said:

Of course the 360 didn't do well there. The Chinese government had banned game console all through last gen and just recently lifted the ban.

China don't really care for home consoles, and Xbox One will not do well, I mean come on, there aim this gen is TV and iplayer and apps, which in china doesn't matter, and at the high price it's at there is more in china for better money.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@Wasdie said:

@bforrester420 said:

I actually agree with @kuu2 on this one. Microsoft is already a major software vendor in China where Japanese products aren't as popular. Microsoft has more experience localizing in China and interacting within the really messed up markets.

If any console is going to be successful I would guess it would be a Microsoft console. I'm not sure what kind of local game consoles will be made and distributed in China though.

China is practically a different planet when it comes to business. Nobody has a real advantage in the Chinese market.

Too expensive. China is more a black market anyway.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Shamelessly copy pasted from a Chinese gamer:

1. Video game is not big in China due to it was banned by the government although you can get the consoles and games easily from the stores which are imported from Japan/HK/Taiwan;

2. PC gamers are huge in China and console gamers are small. There is always argument between 2 groups about which is better, PC gamers or TV games;

3. We Chinese dislike Japanese but we are still supporting their products, In fact, there are big amount of people can be called Sony fans;

3. Most of Chinese gamers only play Japanese style games and dislike western games (the situation are changing now because Japanese games were quite weak in the past gen and the gamers started to try western games.) Therefore, Sony PS & PS2 were popular in China, but OG Xbox was sold very poor;

4. Xbox 360 was popular in China due to hack, but still way less than PS3;

5. Most of Chinese gamers dislike Nintendo because they think Nintendo games are for kids & housewives.

kuu2 in abject ruins, as usual.

From living there for few years and get to know some of the people who likes games over there, this is pretty much how they are.

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Xplode_games
Member since 2011 • 2540 Posts

X1 is overpriced in the US, it will be outrageously overpriced in China.

The end.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@treedoor said:

@nini200 said:

Pffft China isn't the bigest population in the world. Roaches are, and you know what happens to roaches. :)

They survive nuclear war?

You just couldn't let me have that could you?

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

@Wasdie: Microsoft has software infiltration every where. You think there's a more popular OS used in Japan or Europe, where Sony hardware already pretty much rules the console market? We aren't talking about pirated version of Windows and Office here.

Microsoft is going to have to drastically cut their prices and create compelling game software for that market. I think China is more like Japan in gaming trends these days; all about mobile gaming.