Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59289 Posts

Bla. Yada. Etc...

World of Warcraft: Shadowlands sells 3.7 million units within its first day of launch

Blizzard Entertainment has announced that World of Warcraft: Shadowlands has sold through 3.7 million units within its first day of launch, which the publisher states make it 'the fastest-selling PC game of all time industry-wide'. The previous holder of that distinction was Diablo III, which sold through more than 3.5 million copies as of its first day of release in 2012.

This latest expansion has players entering the titular Shadowlands to confront the mysteries and horrors of the afterlife

Blizzard has released other tidbits about the current player base as well, stating that player engagement in World of Warcraft reaches highest levels in a decade (emphasis theirs):

In addition, World of Warcraft has continued to see strong engagement from the global community franchise-wide:

• In the months leading up to the expansion’s release and the time since launch, the gamereached and has sustained its highest number of players on monthly or longer-term subscriptions compared to the same period ahead of and following any WoW expansion in the past decade, in both the West and the East.
  • Players have spent more time in Azerothyear to date than in the same period of any of the last 10 years.
  • In addition, total player time in game this year to date has nearly doubled compared to the same period last year.

World of Warcraft: Shadowlands, the 8th expansion to the longstanding MMORPG, released on November 23. You can find a detailed overview of the expansion in its original announcement.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15592 Posts

That they managed to survive after the complete shitshow that was the last expansion is a testament to the game's fortitude. Personally they killed the gameplay forever so I'll never play again, but congrats I suppose to players that still for some reason are playing.

Avatar image for sheevpalpamemes
SheevPalpamemes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 SheevPalpamemes
Member since 2020 • 2192 Posts

WoW hasn't been good in 12 years.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2258 Posts

@sheevpalpamemes: wow has never been good and singlehanded destroyed the mmorpg genre!

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

I'm still playing and still enjoying it....aren't opinions fun

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23981 Posts

My friend gifted me the game, hoping I would return and stay, the whole expansion just felt ehh, and now that FF14 5.4 is out. I have no reason to return to WoW.

It isn't offensively bad or anything, just... boring.

@djoffer123 said:

@sheevpalpamemes: wow has never been good and singlehanded destroyed the mmorpg genre!

Nawww... WoW was good back in the days. I would argue it was the first decent Themepark MMO. I do wish we would get more sandbox mmorpgs though.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11697 Posts

@djoffer123 said:

No, all the companies trying to copy WoW rather than do their own thing is what stagnated the MMO genre.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2258 Posts

@fedor: that’s a fair point I guess:)

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#9  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

Ah. Looks like the junkies have returned to their drug of choice.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34747 Posts

Gotta love when Blizzard sells the most when they're at their worst.

Thanks for brightening up the situation with a weird ass picture. Much appreciated.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15989 Posts

Interesting FFXIV still not surpassed it. Shadowbringer was such an amazing dlc everyone who interested in MMO should give it a try.

Phlop_Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Phlop_Spencer
Member since 2020 • 1476 Posts

I’m gonna keep this heroin away from my body this time

ProjectPat187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ProjectPat187
Member since 2005 • 2178 Posts

@kingtito: I agree. I'm still playing till this day. In fact I am about to log on now and play LOL.

AfterShafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AfterShafter
Member since 2002 • 7175 Posts

You know what's kind of funny about the whole "WoW ruined MMO's! Everyone just tries to copy it" people? You don't realize that WoW is a shameless clone of another game that had previously dominated MMO's...

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23981 Posts

@AfterShafter: WoW isnt so much a clone, as much as it is an amalgation of previous MMOs, taking successful ideas from them while further iterating on them. Anarchy Online, EverQuest, FF11, City of Heroes even. Even after launch, it took further inspiration from mmos down the line, such as the transmogs being based on EverQuest 2's Appearance slot system, Hard Modes probably inspired by Guild Wars, or the current expansion taking a lot of notes from FF14.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16591 Posts

blizzard isn't the company it once was. Its a shame they got bought out by activision way back when. Thats the danger of a public IPO, especially for a company like blizzard who absolutely didnt need it.

Now they put out half baked shameful games like warcraft remastered which honestly looks like it could have been made in 2010, let alone 2020. And continue to milk their WoW franchise, made way back in 2004. Blizzard just sucks now, all the original employees are gone, replaced by corporate shills and hacks. I keep hoping they get beat down but idiots will continue to buy their crap. Warcraft Remastered was the last game I will purchase from them. If they keep putting out crap, I will just get their stuff through shady means. It won't matter, since its trash games that I will throw in the bin after a week anyway.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58484 Posts

Well, good for Blizzard. I for one am really enjoying Shadowlands, and just hit level 60 and really looking forward to end-game content.

@djoffer123 said:

No, publishers thinking they could make a game as successful as WoW destroyed the MMO genre. Greedy mofos think "We can do that!" and they....can't. THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!

MMO's were never meant to be so insanely popular, and outside of WoW they never really have been (relatively speaking).

You can say Blizzard just ripped off Warhammer decades ago for their RTS games and other MMO's for WoW and you wouldn't be wrong, but the fact is WoW is at the top of the heap and no one is knocking them off. If the community were to be driven off by poor choices, it would have happened years ago.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

@fedor said:
@djoffer123 said:

No, all the companies trying to copy WoW rather than do their own thing is what stagnated the MMO genre.

This. That's what I heard when I tried other mmos a few years back "They copied x system from Wow." and these were player testimonies.

I do wish I could erase the old mmo memories as it was definitely one of the highlights of gaming for me.

Chasing the dragon nowadays is pointless until targeted memory wipes exists are safe.

Maybe in 20-30 days for matrix/vrmmorpgs.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#19 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25045 Posts

Blizzard and WOW is casual and mainstream equivalant of PC gaming.

infact blizzard is EA of PC.