World of Warcraft Subscriptions Decrease By 800,000

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#51 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58854 Posts

@Kjranu said:

I wish EA would bring back WAR.

http://www.returnofreckoning.com/

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#52 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

I'd say it has more to do with so much competition from F2P models out there. When they were reigning the landscape with only 1 or 2 competitors out there (who also charged) they got away with bleeding customers wallets. And the best they could do to answer to that is to offer the game free... up to level 20. That still doesn't help them compete with others that don't put the larger portion of their game experience behind a pay wall.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

I actually downloaded WOW and had my old account activated on a Mists of Pandoria trial last week.. it was fun for a day then I got tired of it

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#54 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

There are big competitors in the MMO field now, poaching their subscribers. That, and World of Warcraft is old.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#55 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

It's a decade old. It's time Blizzard move onto the next chapter in the series.

With an updated engine, fresh ideas and a better foundation (maybe one with real time combat?) they can reinvigourate people's interest.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#56 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

WoW 2 or Warcraft 4 incoming!!!!!!

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Many MMO's struggle to get over 1million subs, Wow still got like 7million...

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#58 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

Because there's been no new content for months (this is one of if not the longest periods without new content since pre-expansion WoW) because they're working on the expansion. Plus there likely won't be any for another 1-2 months.

The numbers will undoubtedly creep back up past 7 million when the expansion comes out.

nyzma23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#59 nyzma23
Member since 2013 • 1003 Posts

There Comes A Time, When We Feel A Certain Urge
To Log In, And Create An Avatar
This Ain't Just Your Average Online RPG
It's A World, A World That We Call Home
We Have A Choice, To Build A Character
In The Alliance, Or Maybe In The Horde
The Choice Is Up To You, It Doesn't Matter What You Do
And On Azeroth, You'll Never Be Alone!
We Are The World Of Warcraft
We Are The Tauren, We Are The Trolls, We Are The Orcs
So Lets Keep Living, In This Online Universe

So Here's To The Worgen, The Druids, The Paladin
The Level 90 Pandaren Mage
The Warlocks And The Death Knights,
And Even Leeroy Jenkins
It Is Up To Us, To Kill The Lich King!
We Are The Tauren, We Are The Trolls, We Are The Orcs
So Lets Keep Living, In This Online Universe

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#60  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

They have 6.8 million "subcribers" as in people still paying them money, for a game that came out almost a decade ago.(like a few months away from it being 10 years old) There are games that came out and will come out this year that won't hit that in their lifetime or put it another won't reach that over the course of a decade. It's natural the game has drop off in players, but WoW dying is a laughable sentiment. It'll be a very active game for a long time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Attempting to sell gold power leveling 90 powerboosts, £1000 mounts, £1000 armours on top of a £20 monthly fee and an expansion pack for a near decade old game costing 300% the price of a full game could be part of the reason.

Realm Reborn for winners my friends.

@Ballroompirate said:

Everyone is playing the vastly superior MMO that is FF14 ARR. Also I've said this for years, no MMO can be a WoW killer, just sit back and watch Blizzard kill it.

I'd love to live in that little fanboy bubble as a player of FFXIV myself... but lol no.... not even in the top 10 revanue.

And the content is currently crap. other than turn 2 .... barely anything challenging in the game.... and the stupid hunt system that has turned progression into a joke.... 1 year later and we still only have 1 4 boss 5 turn raid as progression.... utterly bad.

Meanwhile, they keep ploughing more and more easy content with no purpose as practically everyone outgears it all.... the last 6 odd dungeons have been a joke (difficulty wise) .... nothing to do but dailies, hunts and grind other classes.

The Primal EX's are good.... though near pointless to repeat unless you have a very tacky "collect all the coloured unicorns" fetish.

The game is a casual mess, and will never be flocked to. that being said... I enjoy it when I feel like killing some braincells in a pretty mmo.

My friend, I specifically posted that because (being a massive wow fanboy) I knew offhand you would probably spent half an hour trying to convince everyone. Disappointment did not ensue.

Havn't played WoW since WOTLK sorry matey.

http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2229345/

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

With an updated engine

And it would still look like ass to be able to run on each and every shitty non-gaming PC out there. PC is holding back teh PC!!1 Oh gawd!!

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

Who the hell wants to play a 10 year old MMO. How comes they never released a sequel to it, they are gonna want to be doing that soon.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#64 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@edwardecl said:

Who the hell wants to play a 10 year old MMO. How comes they never released a sequel to it, they are gonna want to be doing that soon.

Why would they make a sequel? MMOs don't work that way. They've had the base game and now 4 expansion that have about as much content as your average sequel.

With MMOs you don't just abandon the world and force players into a different game. With MMOs you expand the world with sequels and content patches.

People play MMOs for years, not abandon the game when the sequel comes out like it's a throwaway console shooter.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#65 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Well it's an MMO, an MMO you're going to have to spend an absolute shit ton of money on if you want it to be as current and up to date as possible. Sometimes people can't afford to keep paying the fee to play a game they already paid for.

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#66  Edited By Zelda187
Member since 2005 • 1047 Posts

LOL

I've heard people go on about how WoW is "dying" for at least the past 5 years. Personally, I think FF: A Realm Reborn is the superior MMO, but WoW still has about 5-6 times the subscription rate as the next closest MMO.

You're talking about a game that is 10 years old that 7+ million people still not only play, but pay a $15 a month subscription fee to play. WoW isn't going anywhere.

Even when the game eventually goes F2P a few years down the line, I'm willing to bet that the servers still stay online for another 8-10 years after that.

And as for the subscription numbers going down, I guarantee that they skyrocket as soon as Warlords of Draenor gets released later this year.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#67 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@Kjranu said:

I wish EA would bring back WAR.

God the pvp in that game was so fun.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@edwardecl said:

dat consolite mindset.

RoccoHout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 RoccoHout
Member since 2011 • 1086 Posts

A year of no content and only 800k loss, not bad. Must be incredibly difficult for people leaving WoW since they have spend so much time and work there.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#70  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@nethernova said:

@foxhound_fox said:

With an updated engine

And it would still look like ass to be able to run on each and every shitty non-gaming PC out there. PC is holding back teh PC!!1 Oh gawd!!

Or they could force people to upgrade by making 64-bit OS's mandatory.

Windows 7 and 8 are pretty much the norm these days (especially for new computers), and anyone who legitimately games on XP isn't of sane mind.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By uninspiredcup
@edwardecl said:

Who the hell wants to play a 10 year old MMO.

MMO's tend to get better as time goes on. As, it's a service and is expected. Thankfully (aside from that time the entire game had to be rebuilt) Final Fantasy: 14 is a masterpiece specifically designed for winners.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#72 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts
@Zelda187 said:

LOL

I've heard people go on about how WoW is "dying" for at least the past 5 years. Personally, I think FF: A Realm Reborn is the superior MMO, but WoW still has about 5-6 times the subscription rate as the next closest MMO.

You're talking about a game that is 10 years old that 7+ million people still not only play, but pay a $15 a month subscription fee to play. WoW isn't going anywhere.

Even when the game eventually goes F2P a few years down the line, I'm willing to bet that the servers still stay online for another 8-10 years after that.

And as for the subscription numbers going down, I guarantee that they skyrocket as soon as Warlords of Draenor gets released later this year.

To be more precise, it is almost 7 million subscribers (6.8 million), of which some high percentage pay $15 a month (but many pay less via multi-month subs or different international rates, which also may end up being more).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@DerekLoffin said:
@Zelda187 said:

LOL

To be more precise, it is almost 7 million subscribers (6.8 million), of which some high percentage pay $15 a month (but many pay less via multi-month subs or different international rates, which also may end up being more).

Indeed. its largely due to to its endgame content being better than everyone elses.... that island in MoP .... better than daily zones in other games by a landslide.... and ofcourse the gameplay smoothness, the class rotations and the content... is varied... and the options for casual players even in raiding is great.

I am desperetly hoping that Square-Enix has a new end-game model for their expansion next year... the current one is poor... nearly as bad as Guild Wars... which is sad because everything is so high quality ... and the fights are good... just not enough of it....

ProjectPat187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By ProjectPat187
Member since 2005 • 2178 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Everyone just got bored. Bigger and Better MMOs to play now.

And which ones are they? WOW is still the biggest MMO to date 10 years later.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 edwardecl
@MBirdy88 said:

dat consolite mindset.

Err ok?

@uninspiredcup said:

MMO's tend to get better as time goes on. As, it's a service and is expected. Thankfully (aside from that time the entire game had to be rebuilt) Final Fantasy: 14 is a masterpiece specifically designed for winners.

But the game is 10 years old using a slightly updated engine still designed to run on old hardware. You need to know when to let something die, or at least do a major upgrade to put it up to par with games in 2014. I know graphics aren't everything but it does add something.

Then again I've never played WoW, I always though the subscription service was a total piss take, but that's a different story.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@edwardecl said:
@MBirdy88 said:

dat consolite mindset.

Err ok?

@uninspiredcup said:

But the game is 10 years old using a slightly updated engine still designed to run on old hardware. You need to know when to let something die, or at least do a major upgrade to put it up to par with games in 2014. I know graphics aren't everything but it does add something.

Then again I've never played WoW, I always though the subscription service was a total piss take, but that's a different story.

it does get graphical updates...

What about the most played game on all platforms? its minecraft.... who cares about graphics?

League of Legends... most played esport level game... looks like a 2004 game. again... not many outside of these casual forums care for graphics more than gameplay. graphics are just to justify upgraded systems at this point.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By uninspiredcup

@edwardecl said:
@MBirdy88 said:

dat consolite mindset.

Tend to disagree. If this was 10 years ago, probably would be saying yea, it's a piss take.

But, when you compare something like Realm Reborn with a £8.99 sub fee to 99% free2play games, you are actually getting more value from the sub fee.

Likewise, what is a piss take imo, is attempting to put this model (free2play boosts) on top of a sub fee.

Currently, World Of Warcraft sells a level 90 boost $50, mounts for $40+ and Armour sets for $50+

That's on top of a sub fee and a digital expansion (i.e. not a full game) that costs around 200% of a full game.

Whats your game? Apparently an expensive as **** one.

Elder Scrolls Online is also (no explanation needed) guilty of this.

Partly the reason I opted for FF14, which thankfully, is also a great game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@uninspiredcup said:

@edwardecl said:
@MBirdy88 said:

dat consolite mindset.

Tend to disagree. If this was 10 years ago, probably would be saying yea, it's a piss take.

But, when you compare something like Realm Reborn with a £8.99 sub fee to 99% free2play games, you are actually getting more value from the sub fee.

Likewise, what is a piss take imo, is attempting to put this model (free2play boosts) on top of a sub fee.

Currently, World Of Warcraft sells a level 90 boost $50, mounts for $40+ and Armour sets for $50+

That's on top of a sub fee and a digital expansion (i.e. not a full game) that costs around 200% of a full game.

Whats your game? Apparently an expensive as **** one.

Elder Scrolls Online is also (no explanation needed) guilty of this.

Partly the reason I opted for FF14, which thankfully, is also a great game.

one good thing about ARR.... you can choose a cheaper £7.49 I think it is and be limited to one character... but you only use one really anyway.

PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

Will go up millions when the next expansion hits it always does.

eNT1TY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 eNT1TY
Member since 2005 • 1319 Posts

Man, they could lose half of their subscription base today and still be the most popular and most profitable mmorpg. Hell, after LoL, i wouldn't be surprised if it's still the most profitable game out right now..

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

@amazonangry said:

folks have realized the superiority of ffxiv...and also the superior way to play it on ps4.

At this point in WoW's life it was dragging about 4-6 million zombies behind it, FF XIV is at 2 million. It's a few million subscribers short of superior to WoW. If you include the original FF XIV it's about 7-8 million subscribers inferior.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 edwardecl

£7.69 a month + £9.99 for the game + £16.99 for the expansion + £34.99 for the unreleased expansion...

So if you wanted all the content you'd be paying... £92.28 a year for the subscription alone + £61.97 for the game with all content.

Total: £154.25... yeah no. You can buy game like Skyrim off the Steam store for £6.79 with all the expansions, or you could buy Guildwars 1 & 2 for £65.35 and play both games as long as you want.

Or is WoW really that much better?

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#85  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

@edwardecl said:
@MBirdy88 said:

dat consolite mindset.

Why are you lying lol, here in the U.S. WoW + MoP costs $40 total right now, the sub fee is $15/mo. You can buy a level 90 boost for $60 if you're that desperate to skip leveling content that takes a week to get through nowadays. You can't buy "armor sets" for $50; there are (shitty-looking) helms on the store with no stats that are intended for transmogrification (changing the appearance of an existing item to that of another's) only, and each cost $15. Mounts cost $25-$30, pets cost $10. None of this shit is unavailable to someone who pays a sub fee and plays the game, so if you don't want to waste money on overpriced crap you don't have to. You aren't at a disadvantage to anyone who buys stuff off the cash shop--even the 90 boosts, since leveling to 90 is very fast nowadays--but I do think it's wrong to put any sort of cash shop in a subscription-based game. Blizzard is getting away with it because they've got the most successful MMO in the world and lots of people actually do buy what they sell in the cash shop.

The only thing I'll call overpriced is the price of the next expansion. $50, which is disgusting considering Blizzard promised it'd offer a "free" 90 boost for one character and WoD seems to have less content than any other expansion. Pretty much the reason I don't plan on pre-ordering.