With the Xbox extending their whole Console platform to the cloud, will Sony follow suit or focus only on Console sales?

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Daniel_Su123
Member since 2015 • 1094 Posts

We believe that Project xCloud is a key component that will help us achieve our dream of gaming for everyone, everywhere in true Xbox style by…

• Partnering with the world’s best: Content developers/publishers, silicon designers, hardware manufacturers, mobile operators, distributors, and many others.
  • Doing it in the way that requires no work for the developers: The over 3,500 games on Xbox One today & 1,900 games currently in development are already working on xCloud.
  • Bringing along your friends, your achievements, your saved game, and your progression so that you don’t have to start over.
  • Combining our strengths in Content, Community, and Cloud with YOU, the gamer, at the center.

We believe in the freedom to play and the freedom to choose. In 2020 we will enable gamers to stream from the cloud Xbox games that they already own or will purchase. We will also add game streaming from the cloud to Xbox Game Pass. Gamers will be free to discover, choose, and play their favorite games anywhere and everywhere.

At X019 Microsoft announced that XCloud will come to Xbox Game Pass. This means that all Game Pass games will be able to be streamed everywhere. But they also announced that all the games that are in development on Xbox One will support XCloud. This essentially means that Xbox has extended its whole Console platform to the Cloud. where there's no need for a Console at all. Consumers can simply buy their game on the Xbox Store and Stream it anywhere. But it definitely doesn't mean that Consoles themselves will go away though.

But the question is whether Sony will follow suit, this would require Sony to let go of Console Sales since doing this will cannibalise Console Sales of the PS5. But the upsides imo are huge. XCloud is launching in India next year, a market where buying a Console is not feasible for a vast majority of people, But Microsoft already has Data centres there so this would be a huge untapped market.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 5443 Posts

If the console business collapses from under them, sure. Right now though, there's nothing saying why they should.

Streaming's been around for years. If streaming was such a big deal, then why is MS still making a console? Why not just put Game Pass/Xcloud on every platform and be done with it? Sounds like MS themselves aren't even that sure.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 osan0
Member since 2004 • 15542 Posts

I think they will sit and watch.

It's not like they are a decade behind: they already have a streaming platform of their own up and running. To it's just a question of expanding that if the need arises.

God i hope the whole streaming thing blows over again like last time though....ugh. streaming games....just....no.

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Daniel_Su123

@osan0:

@osan0 said:

I think they will sit and watch.

It's not like they are a decade behind: they already have a streaming platform of their own up and running. To it's just a question of expanding that if the need arises.

God i hope the whole streaming thing blows over again like last time though....ugh. streaming games....just....no.

If they sit and watch, Microsoft would have a very early lead in the market.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 2945 Posts

Sony doesn't have the tech to do an xcloud like MS does. They are going to do what they do best and sell hardware.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 osan0

@daniel_su123: But sony have the content and strong first party line up to keep people attached to their platform. If people know sony will do the same then they will wait.

Content is king at the end of the day in this business.

To keep things in perspective: i would be amazed if this actually attracts people away from PC, PS or nintendo devices and towards xbox in any big numbers. it's a service and services dont sell platforms (because content is king: history tells us this). At best it's a nice tickbox feature, not an "OMG THE REVOLUTIUON!!" thing.

We have even yet to see if the market at large has any interest in streaming games. A few companies tried this before: they failed utterly.

Now in fairness my hatred of game streaming combined with not having an issue accessing gaming hardware could be clouding how i see it. you could be right: in other markets around the world like india, maybe this will be huge (how is the broadband in india?).

But as i see it this is no revolution. this is not a killer feature. this won't decide success this gen or next. It will be a tickbox feature. A nice to have for some. something they can stick on the marketing material.....that's all.

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Daniel_Su123
@osan0 said:

@daniel_su123: But sony have the content and strong first party line up to keep people attached to their platform. If people know sony will do the same then they will wait.

Content is king at the end of the day in this business.

To keep things in perspective: i would be amazed if this actually attracts people away from PC, PS or nintendo devices and towards xbox in any big numbers. it's a service and services dont sell platforms (because content is king: history tells us this). At best it's a nice tickbox feature, not an "OMG THE REVOLUTIUON!!" thing.

We have even yet to see if the market at large has any interest in streaming games. A few companies tried this before: they failed utterly.

Now in fairness my hatred of game streaming combined with not having an issue accessing gaming hardware could be clouding how i see it. you could be right: in other markets around the world like india, maybe this will be huge (how is the broadband in india?).

But as i see it this is no revolution. this is not a killer feature. this won't decide success this gen or next. It will be a tickbox feature. A nice to have for some. something they can stick on the marketing material.....that's all.

Those games are only on PS Now for 3 months. That alone gives no incentive for people to stay on the service. People aren't going to wait a decade to be able to stream their PS library and PS Now games anywhere. They will find other solutions.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 5793 Posts

Why would Sony want to?

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 osan0

@daniel_su123: there is no reason why sony can't change that right now if they wanted. it certainly wouldn't take them a decade to do it.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 2871 Posts

I think Sony will follow suit

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 11189 Posts

MSoft always pioneering for the industry.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 5793 Posts

@kuu2: Lol...I mean you are joking right? No way a sane person could say that.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 2860 Posts

TC, can you stop? You're getting on my nerves with the same topic and I'm not even a cow.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 5445 Posts

Of course. It isn't a question of 'if', it is a question of 'when'. These are early days and there will be a considerable transition time with both options. There's no doubt in my mind that before the end of the next generation, aka during the PS5 era, that Sony will make moves in this direction.

I don't know why you are so obsessed with this, particularly regarding your implied first mover bias. There are also significant advantages in being second or third mover and no one can predict who will succeed and who won't at this time.

The first movers in the console space are all long dead and buried. As are the first movers in the cell phone space...obliterated by the smartphone.

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Daniel_Su123

@SUD123456:

@SUD123456 said:

Of course. It isn't a question of 'if', it is a question of 'when'. These are early days and there will be a considerable transition time with both options. There's no doubt in my mind that before the end of the next generation, aka during the PS5 era, that Sony will make moves in this direction.

I don't know why you are so obsessed with this, particularly regarding your implied first mover bias. There are also significant advantages in being second or third mover and no one can predict who will succeed and who won't at this time.

The first movers in the console space are all long dead and buried. As are the first movers in the cell phone space...obliterated by the smartphone.

PSNow was the first company to embrace streaming. If you're talking a Streaming platform, Stadia is first. Microsoft is not first at all. However my theory on why MS and Google is aggressively moving quickly is because if started moving by the end of next gen they need to go through legal agreements, terms etc

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4662 Posts

Sony signed a big deal with MS for Azure cloud services probably for this reason. Console gaming is big business, but mobile gaming is 3-4 larger. I would love to play real games on a tablet when I'm away from home and the tech is not too far away.

I'm not too big on first movers advantage in big markets. There will be time for second movers, but they have to already have their solution ready because something this complicated takes time to perfect.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 5443 Posts

@pc_rocks said:

TC, can you stop? You're getting on my nerves with the same topic and I'm not even a cow.

It does feel kinda astroturf-ish. If the idea of it is so great, why would he keep trying to oversell it to us?