with MS and Sony next big AAA's Gears 5 and DeathS not showing much gameplay, will that hurt either game?

Posted by BoxRekt (1790 posts) 11 days, 8 hours ago

Poll: with MS and Sony next big AAA's Gears 5 and DeathS not showing much gameplay, will that hurt either game? (33 votes)

Not showing gameplay will hurt the success of both games equally 3%
Not showing gameplay will not hurt the success of either game 52%
Not showing gameplay will hurt Death Stranding but wont affect Gears 5 as much 15%
Not showing gameplay will hurt Gears 5 but wont affect Death Stranding as much 30%

It's weird for big AAA games to not get much in the way for advertisements before a launch but I think none more evident than both Sony and MS's next big AAA Death Stranding and Gears of War 5.

Multi million dollar AAAs like Red Dead Redemption for example are plastered all over TV ads and social media before launch showing highlighted cut scenes but also lots of gameplay to instill as much confidence in people who want to pick up those titles as possible.

Neither Death Stranding nor Gears of War 5 has done this and both games are set to release just a more months from now and E3 has already passed leaving a big opportunity for MS to wow the industry with what they have for Gears.

Do you think the lack of showing dedicated gameplay will hurt both games, neither game or will damage one more than the other?

#1 Posted by DaVillain- (36927 posts) -

I'm glad Sony & Kojima aren't showing that much gameplay nor telling you what Death Stranding is all about cause you are supposed to, "play the game & find out yourself" what the game is all about. No need to spoiled the good parts, so keep it that way by minimizing gameplay and such.

Gears 5 however, anyone who really plays Gears will know what to expect, same gameplay as before so no point in telling us this or showing gameplay when I already know how it plays. But of course, Gears 5 Beta should be starting soon, so it's also why MS didn't want to show gameplay.

Both games will do just fine and the less I know, the better my lust crave to know what Death Stranding is all about.

Voted: "Not showing gameplay will not hurt the success of either game"

#2 Posted by Archangel3371 (28154 posts) -

No, I don’t think that it will affect the success of either game. Anyway they did show gameplay of Gears of War 5, it just wasn’t shown on stage during the Microsoft conference. They showed a bunch of backstage stuff. They also did show some gameplay of Death Stranding as well during that 8+ minute video.

Either way though people that are interested in those games will still be interested enough in those games to check out the gameplay eventually whether it be in video reviews or checking out videos or streams of other players playing them and decide whether or not to pick up the game based on that kind of feedback.

#3 Edited by ProtossRushX (5442 posts) -

I saw a ton of gameplay for death stranding this past e3

i saw a movie trailer for gears 5 and no gameplay this past e3 so only one really didn't show anything new that was gears

#4 Posted by Zaryia (9023 posts) -

Forza, Gear, Halo > Movie Games.

#5 Posted by Pedro (34953 posts) -

Nope. Most gamers don't care too much about gameplay.

#6 Posted by Vaidream45 (1966 posts) -

Gears definitely needs to show some gameplay but fans know what to expect. DS showed tons of gameplay already so I’m a bit confused about this post.

#7 Posted by ellos (2042 posts) -

They are doing that to sell those games. This is what those types of games have become now days. Its about the cinematic performance and celebrity advertisement. That is what sells those games. They don't care for example how confused Zariya is that all of them including gears are movie games lol.

#8 Posted by Bluestars (165 posts) -

Watchdogs legion looks better than them both to me...why?

Because they showed gameplay, you want my money, show me what you got

#9 Posted by SecretPolice (35338 posts) -

There was 30 minutes of Gears 5 game-play shown at E3 so dunno WTH you're talking about on that.

On the Flop Standing game, yeah it's doomed. :P

#10 Posted by Bluestars (165 posts) -

I watch e3 every year and I don’t recall seeing 30 minutes of gameplay

Maybe 5 minutes of escape mode and a trailer last year that had about 30 seconds

Halo and gears multiplayer isn’t something I’ve played much if any of,it’s their new campaign director I’m interested in

Death strandings recent trailer killed a lot of its hype for me, just a bloke walking about the countryside with a ladder looking for somewhere to take a dump by the way he walks

#11 Posted by SecretPolice (35338 posts) -

Eh, okay it was 14 minutes of escape but still it was game-play. Not sure I'd really want to see parts of the campaign since I'd rather see it all for the first time when I play it. Still though from the escape game-play you get a taste so whatevs,

I'm already sold on a new Gears game anyway and it's day one for me with GamePass. :P

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#12 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1558 posts) -

I'm not really interested into these 2 but if you ask me to either play Gears Of War 5 or Death Stranding then I say Gears Of War 5.

I'm also not into Unreal and Metal Gear series.

#13 Posted by Bluestars (165 posts) -

Aye secret police your right gamepass the best console feature this gen so I can’t get vexed at gears knowing I’ll only be paying a couple of quid for it

#14 Posted by Calvincfb (0 posts) -

People buy games based on three things:

- Marketing

- Hype

- Scores

Gameplay has no influence.

#15 Posted by AJStyles (912 posts) -

Gears is a dead franchise now.

1-3 were great games. Ended on a high note. I like those games.

Judgement was pure trash and one of the worst games I have ever played.

Gears 4 was a huge disappointment.

I have no hope for Gears 5 and they aren’t showing anything because they have nothing. It’s going to be another bad Gears game.

Since Microsoft is focusing on gamepass and giving their games away for free now, Gears, Halo and Forza’s budget have been dramatically reduced because they aren’t going to get sales.

This is going to cause all 3 franchises to suffer horribly.

Gears has failed to evolve and the developers aren’t talented enough to do it. Unreal Engine sucks too so don’t expect any new gameplay.

It’s going to be pew pew cover pew pew The End.

#16 Posted by X_CAPCOM_X (8618 posts) -

Correct answer is the second option. Neither game will suffer from this.

Fanboys are people picking the third and fourth options.

#17 Posted by BoxRekt (1790 posts) -

@X_CAPCOM_X With Gears being in Gamepass I guess it doesn't really matter if it sales of not. I didn't consider that when making this thread.

looks like a majority of xbox fans are going to gamepass Gears anyway. it's sad that they don't support their AAA game studios more, but I guess that's why MS decided to mandate play-anywhere and Gamepass in the first place.

#18 Posted by xantufrog (11517 posts) -

It's an interesting point. I'm not sure if it will hurt either much in the long run - I think people preorder on hopes and dreams, and then the people who don't preorder buy on reviews or word of mouth. So in either case it's likely not to have much effect.

That being said, if it does hurt, my guess is it will most likely hurt Death Stranding more - Gears is a known quantity. I know they are shifting the narrative up a bit, but Gears fans likely know what they are in for. Death Stranding, on the other hand, is kind of uncharted territory

#19 Posted by BoxRekt (1790 posts) -

@xantufrog "if it does hurt, my guess is it will most likely hurt Death Stranding more - Gears is a known quantity. I know they are shifting the narrative up a bit, but Gears fans likely know what they are in for. Death Stranding, on the other hand, is kind of uncharted territory"

That's true.

But there may be other factors to consider for and against that point of view.

For Gears, yes, people know what it is, but by that same logic "people" may want something more than what the last Gears delivered to them. If just another Gears isn't enough to motivate people who want an upgrade or a superior product than the last showing they may not bother at all having not been shown prior to delivery.

For Death Stranding, it certainly is uncharted territory. But in that same breath, it's a Hideo Kojima game so It's is supposed to be? I mean dose anyone who's a Hideo Kojima fan expect a paint by the numbers type of game? People seemed to hate MGSV not because they game didn't provide excellent gameplay and tons of content, but because the STORY wasn't as amazing and fantastic as previous games.

Death Stranding being a completely "uncharted" mind **** might not have any negative effect at all for anyone who's expecting a Hideo Kojima caliber of experience.

My devils advocate to your particular view point.

#20 Posted by Pedro (34953 posts) -

Its odd that anyone think Gears needs to show gameplay on its 5th iteration. Its just a silly notion.

"Oh no. There is no gameplay. I have no idea what the gameplay is going to be like. Damn you Gears 5."

#21 Posted by NfamousLegend (365 posts) -

well one game comes out in a few months, while the other is likely a year away. They should have had something to show from Gear other than that weird trailer and equally strange backstage tour.

#22 Posted by BoxRekt (1790 posts) -
@nfamouslegend said:

well one game comes out in a few months, while the other is likely a year away. They should have had something to show from Gear other than that weird trailer and equally strange backstage tour.

What are you talking about? Both games release this holiday.

#23 Posted by Juub1990 (8633 posts) -
@Pedro said:

Its odd that anyone think Gears needs to show gameplay on its 5th iteration. Its just a silly notion.

"Oh no. There is no gameplay. I have no idea what the gameplay is going to be like. Damn you Gears 5."

It's actually the 6th game lol.

#24 Posted by Pedro (34953 posts) -

@Juub1990 said:
@Pedro said:

It's actually the 6th game lol.

Thanks for the correction.

#25 Edited by dzimm (5492 posts) -

Console fanboys love their minimally interactive quick-time event movie games, so not showing actual gameplay is simply giving the target market what it wants.