With hindsight vision, was Far Cry 2 good?

• 55 results
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

uninspiredcup  Online

Poll With hindsight vision, was Far Cry 2 good? (52 votes)

Far Cry 2 was good 46%
Far Cry 2 was definitely not good 54%

Some folk are holding this on a pedestal, with a few making a pretty compelling argument.

To me it's a big pile of shite with ideas that sound good on paper but as a game, is extremely tedious. But' ii'm just one pleb on a grand tapestry of opinions.

Was this game misunderstood by many, ahead of it's time? Something to be admired in retrospect? Or actually just a big pile of shit people are propping up wrongly?

• 
henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#51 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

I still find it the best FC. The game rewards exloration and moves the story along at a nice pace. The missions and people are much more interesting than in the other FC games, and vehicle dynamics work much better in it than in the other games.

The map was interesting and just the perfect size. In following FC games, maps became too large so one got fed up with the map take over well before the end.

Sure, the sickness is annoying, but as long as you use medicine, it does not really affect your pace at all.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#52 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
@GarGx1 said:

The re-spawning check points killed the game for me, I got so fed up having to fight the same battles over and over again.

same here. What a terrible mechanic. Clear an outpost walk 100m away come back and find the same freaking enemies doing the same freaking thinks

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#53 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17421 Posts

It was fun at first but got old fast because of design decisions.

Cars break so easily so you were always walking, couldnt fast travel to safehouses, respawning checkpoints, malaria, your guns jamming but not the enemies, voice actors talked like they were in a hurry.

There was a good game underneath, but oppressive game design ruined it.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@navyguy21 said:

It was fun at first but got old fast because of design decisions.

Cars break so easily so you were always walking, couldnt fast travel to safehouses, respawning checkpoints, malaria, your guns jamming but not the enemies, voice actors talked like they were in a hurry.

There was a good game underneath, but oppressive game design ruined it.

I've seen enemies get gun jams too although not very often. They can also self-heal and have comrades heal wounded buddies.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#55 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

FC2 is also from the good old days when Ubi still wrote sane plots. These days Ubi is all over the place, and their plots make no sense whatsoever.