With Cloud Gaming: The console exclusive era is finally coming to an end.

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Daniel_Su123
Member since 2015 • 1103 Posts

As the title says, with Cloud Gaming becoming a thing, where games are streamed on any device you want. I see Console exclusives where you are forced to buy hardware to play that game increasingly become less used. Especially as the industry as a whole is shifting into this direction.

I expect Sony to put their games on PS Now on day 1 going forward as Cloud Gaming becomes increasingly competitive and used.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

Holy shit mate, this thread is gonna explode lol.

As for the topic, I think this'll work on a system-by-system basis. Should it only be streamable to one system, then it's exclusive. If it's something like PSNow, where you can stream to PC, then an argument can be made against exclusivity. Then you get into the nitty-gritty of streaming to tablets/phones, and everything just falls apart... I guess it's a wait-and-see approach.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#3 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Not going to happen. The Xbox One 2013 debacle is proof positive that streaming only consoles will not be the future.

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Daniel_Su123

@lundy86_4: I disagree, if Google, Microsoft’s, Amazon and EAs etc streaming solution becomes increasingly used, of course Sony will be forced to follow.

Though if EA, Ubisoft etc have their own solution I expect MS and Sony rely increasingly on their first party content. So we could them going an aggressive shipping spree.

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Daniel_Su123

@JustPlainLucas: we aren’t talking about streaming consoles we are talking about the Streaming service that can work on multiple platforms, that’s going to be a market that could be very large.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

yea i think going forward sony xbox and maybr one day nintendo will hve two options for playing their games. on console natively or streamed.

options are cool so its ok. as long as gamers dont choose streaming as the best because thats when physical will die.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

Cloud computing is still very much in it’s infancy and massively depends on ubiquitous high speed internet connections.

We probably shouldn’t worry about it for a decade at least.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

It's not much of a difference. Instead of hardware exclusivity you'll have streaming exclusivity. Same thing, just cheaper initial access price.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@daniel_su123 said:

@lundy86_4: I disagree, if Google, Microsoft’s, Amazon and EAs etc streaming solution becomes increasingly used, of course Sony will be forced to follow.

Though if EA, Ubisoft etc have their own solution I expect MS and Sony rely increasingly on their first party content. So we could them going an aggressive shipping spree.

Ehmm, ever heard of PS Now

Sony is the market leader, not the odd company out, it´s the rest that will follow Sony.

tubbyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By tubbyc
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts
@daniel_su123 said:

As the title says, with Cloud Gaming becoming a thing, where games are streamed on any device you want. I see Console exclusives where you are forced to buy hardware to play that game increasingly become less used. Especially as the industry as a whole is shifting into this direction.

I expect Sony to put their games on PS Now on day 1 going forward as Cloud Gaming becomes increasingly competitive and used.

Even if that happened, I'd still like to own the games I want to own, as I'm sure many millions of others would. On top of that, my internet is nowhere near good enough.

I know some people like to say Sony games are "one and done" but I haven't found that at all. I'm glad to play through a good game multiple times, especially with games like the Souls games and Bloodborne. Even God of War and Spider-Man have got New Game Plus now. I'll be focusing mostly on getting through my backlog the next couple of years though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

PS Now already put a bunch of PS4 exclusives on PC, just like Xbox has.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

PS5 is going to be using bigger sized bluray discs forget streaming if you go that route you lose to the ps5 right away better have the disk drive microsoft bette have it ps5 will and ill buy taht one

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lundy86_4

@elitegaming247 said:

That's funny, I could have sworn I was already streaming on my PS4 4 years ago with PS Now,. How are they following when they are the first to have a console streaming service to begin with? If it's anything it's MS that's copying and following Sony. What a dumb thread.

Yeah, Sony was ahead of the game in buying OnLive, but unfortunately their infrastructure was shat, and the market hadn't matured yet. They're getting out of the gates early, but unfortunately, MS and other competitors have a far bigger investment in the market on the back-end already. No doubt Sony will bring their arms to bare, but it's a waiting game for now. Kudos to Sony for seeing the demand, though, it's not surprising given the fact that Japan has just stupid internet accessibility.

@elitegaming247 said:
Edit: I'd also like to disagree with the whole idea that streaming is about to make a big splash next gen. The infrastructure just isn't there and internet speeds are still shitty along with data caps. Maybe twenty years from now it will be big but it's far too early to be making wild claims like you are making.

With regards to straming not being a big splash, I agree. Though infrastructure is finally making leaps-and-bounds. Canada is finally surpassing 120 Mb/S, though in areas like the GTA, and "unlimited" data caps are becoming the norm. Still, I agree that the infrastructure still isn't there. That being said, so long as the purchasing market is large enough to bring in profit, then streaming will progress heavily.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lundy86_4

@ProtossRushX said:

PS5 is going to be using bigger sized bluray discs forget streaming if you go that route you lose to the ps5 right away better have the disk drive microsoft bette have it ps5 will and ill buy taht one

Your arguments are so goddamn disjointed... Even within the same sentences. You assume PS5 will go with disc-based gaming, but insinuate that MS will not, which is just conjecture all around. We all know you'll buy PS5, but you'd do that even given intelligent counter-points.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#17 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69766 Posts

Streaming will definitely put a damper on exclusive. Fanboys are going to cry. LMAO.

Multiplatform for the win.

General_Solo76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18 General_Solo76
Member since 2013 • 578 Posts

Ain’t gonna happen, but you’re free to keep dreaming

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

Eventually, when majority of the target population adopts it.

I don't see this happening within the PS5 and PS6 gen but maybe more later on.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

Never gonna happen.

New games, for example. When 500 000 000 people are trying to play the latest game from rockstar at launch day, no cloud can keep up with that.

So, we will need physical installs in the future too. Especially as games are getting bigger and bigger.

Zappat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21 Zappat
Member since 2018 • 1592 Posts

You lemmings spend too much time wallowing in these hypothetical fantastical scenarios where Sony suddenly loses and becomes the underdog from one step to the next. I guess it is part of your sole entertainment this gen but it's pretty absurd.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts
@zappat said:

You lemmings spend too much time wallowing in these hypothetical fantastical scenarios where Sony suddenly loses and becomes the underdog from one step to the next. I guess it is part of your sole entertainment this gen but it's pretty absurd.

Sony are the market leaders for game streaming out of all the companies getting involved in it. As of March this year they had 80+ million active monthly subscribers for PSN.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17838 Posts

not really. it'll just be service exclusives rather than device exclusives. e.g. want to play uncharted? you need PSN now. want to play forza? need to pay to access to MSs service. the next diablo? need a sub to activision/blizzards service. and so on.

whether these will be subs like netflix or whether you can buy unlimited access to the game remains to be seen. but streaming wont remove exclusives. itll just be exclusive to services rather than devices.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

Sony would be selfish to not allow its 1p games to be crossplat with pc and/or making them available on PSNow day/date of release. So i def. See Sony tapping into what MS is doing with Play Anywhere and GamePass. It gives the developers a constant flow of money besides a physical sale. More $ for developers to make games and try new things/take risks.

I know the haters want to hold onto the exclusive ship as it sinks but i would argue Sony 1p software would sky rocket. Would also put less pressure on hardware as people will have options to play the games how they want on different devices.

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts

With data caps on internet still relevant today, you can forget about streaming only solutions. Especially if you are streaming a game in 4K. You’ll hit that data cap fast.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@daniel_su123 said:

WTF? Sony is already ahead of those companies in cloud gaming,what do you think PS Now is?

It will never be only streaming for many reasons.

@saltslasher said:

PS Now already put a bunch of PS4 exclusives on PC, just like Xbox has.

It has like 2 or 3 old games by now,not even close to what MS does which all games are also on PC and in superior form and even free to play online.

With PS Now you will always get an inferior experience.

@lundy86_4 said:

Your arguments are so goddamn disjointed... Even within the same sentences. You assume PS5 will go with disc-based gaming, but insinuate that MS will not, which is just conjecture all around. We all know you'll buy PS5, but you'd do that even given intelligent counter-points.

He probably basing his argument on MS 2013 debacle where basically disc were nothing more than a storage vessel,as soon as you installed the game the disc was worthless and you could not give the game to anyone or you lose your game,while sony didn't go that way.

If MS learned its lesson i am sure they will also have physical disc.

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Daniel_Su123

@tormentos: Sony May be ahead currently, but it doesn’t mean they have the best product. Sony lacks many pieces of the puzzle needed to get Streaming off the ground.