With All the Problems with PS4 & Xbone is ????

• 49 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Slimmin360
Member since 2010 • 1933 Posts

Considering the hard drives that are too small with mandatory game installs, PS-Plus and Xbox Live costs, Playstation now rental fees, danger of DRM reinstatement.

Is the Wii-U that does not include any of these issues the answer? or is maybe staying last gen or even retro ala Gamecube, PS2 and so on the answer?, because all of the above is definitely turning me off of current gen consoles.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Wii U doesn't even have a hard drive but it lets you use SD cards or install on external HDD at least

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

I hate this too. I'm am already running out of HDD space and it is mostly from games I bought from retail. Why is the ps4 installing the whole game when I have the disk?

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Slimmin360

@MonsieurX said:

Wii U doesn't even have a hard drive but it lets you use SD cards or install on external HDD at least

Yeah, my point exactly, Wii-U will let you install an external hard drive up to 2TB, Xbone doesn't even have the update for an external hard drive yet, and PS4 won't recognize and upgraded internal hard drive thats more than 1TB.

So which is the logical way to go here?

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#5 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

PC. Get all the benefits + more.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:

The Wii U doesn't need to install games yet as none of their games are big enough to need it. That is a plus I suppose. Wii U would need more storage if it was going to get bigger games that needed installing. Paying for online is annoying on the PS4/XB1. DRM could happen on any console. PS4, for the most part will not be however, given how much of a big deal they made over it E3 2013.

In every other way though, the Wii U just is inferior. It has weaker hardware, lousy online multiplayer, shit online service in general, no Blu Ray movie playback, no multiplats, 32GB 'premium' pack. There are short comings to both. What games are better is subjective. I mean, really? Is Mario Kart 8 that far beyond anything PlayStation has planned? Or even that far beyond Sonic And SEGA All-Stars Racing Transformed? Wii U hardware is irrelevant. Devs are saying it, the people as a whole are saying it, it's doomed. Get rid of it Nintendo. Start a new leaf or become a software developer.

Most of the games are available digitally

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

@bldgirsh said:

Yeah because of instead of just having games I have everything else and when I uninstall a game to make room I'll have to re download it instead of just popping in the disc. Makes perfect sense oh wait............

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Slimmin360

@scottpsfan14 said:

The Wii U doesn't need to install games yet as none of their games are big enough to need it. That is a plus I suppose. Wii U would need more storage if it was going to get bigger games that needed installing. Paying for online is annoying on the PS4/XB1. DRM could happen on any console. PS4, for the most part will not be however, given how much of a big deal they made over it E3 2013.

In every other way though, the Wii U just is inferior. It has weaker hardware, lousy online multiplayer, shit online service in general, no Blu Ray movie playback, no multiplats, 32GB 'premium' pack. There are short comings to both. What games are better is subjective. I mean, really? Is Mario Kart 8 that far beyond anything PlayStation has planned? Or even that far beyond Sonic And SEGA All-Stars Racing Transformed? Wii U hardware is irrelevant. Devs are saying it, the people as a whole are saying it, it's doomed. Get rid of it Nintendo. Start a new leaf or become a software developer.

Your throw in the towel attitude about Nintendo is your opinion, but as of right now there console is the most logical choice as far as hard drive expandability and lack of online fees, and plentiful game choices.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BldgIrsh

@Shielder7 said:

@bldgirsh said:

Yeah because of instead of just having games I have everything else and when I uninstall a game to make room I'll have to re download it instead of just popping in the disc. Makes perfect sense oh wait............

Da heck are you whining about?

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

and yet ps4 managed to sell 9 million units thus far. i had one and had zero problems with the hard drive, and the game installs make it run better. do you honestly play 10 full 50 gig games all at once? no. you beat it and delete it.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Slimmin360

@ps4hasnogames said:

and yet ps4 managed to sell 9 million units thus far. i had one and had zero problems with the hard drive, and the game installs make it run better. do you honestly play 10 full 50 gig games all at once? no. you beat it and delete it.

You think thats the norm for everyone, alot of people buy multiple games a month, go home to try them out and have to go back to them at a later time for more gameplay, only after they install anywhere from 20 to 50gb worth of data for each game, so that means these games which have not all been played through will only amount to about 15 games per 500gb hard drive before space runs out, and that amount is me being generous, it probably can't hold more than 10 or 12 at once.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Slimmin360

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Slimmin360 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

You think thats the norm for everyone, alot of people buy multiple games a month, go home to try them out and have to go back to them at a later time for more gameplay, only after they install anywhere from 20 to 50gb worth of data for each game, so that means these games which have not all been played through will only amount to about 15 games per 500gb hard drive before space runs out, and that amount is me being generous, it probably can't hold more than 10 or 12 at once.

1) It's not really a problem anyway because you can delete a game in a split second and install another in a few seconds.

2) PS4 has a SATA II full speed HDD slot that can take over 2TB SATA drives and SSD's of any size. Wii U is limited to USB bus speed external storage.

3) Most games don't go past 25 GB anyway.

1) The only reason to delete a game is ONLY AFTER you beat it.

2) Google Playstation 4 2TB replacement hard drives, and you'll see how many are undetectable by the PS4, whereas any usb external drive will work in the Wii-U

3) Wolfenstein the New Order is 46gb installed, and thats a shooter, imagine the size of the first open world game, such as Witcher 3.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

Wii U was the way to go back when it launched, even with the terrible game drought lol. Had mine since launch. Other then the stupid broken Miiverse the Wii U is a great system. And it's not "WEAK" lol uneducated dolts and media claim it as weak but thats simply not true. Is it weaker then PS4 and Xbox One? Yes, is it ever really going to be noticable? HELL NO. If you think its like the Wii and PS3/360 then your brain dead. As someone who has worked on all 3 dev kits, the Wii U has untapped power that lazy western devs REFUSE to use cause its easier to do a lazy copy and paste without learning a new console. Then they can whine later and say its the consoles fault lol. There are numerous devs out their who have proven this. Shinen, or Slightly Mad Studios with Project Car's, or Criterion with Need For Speed Most Wanted U, then of course Nintendo themselves with the new Zelda game. Seriously those who think Wii U is "weak" are morons. PS4 is roughly 50% stronger then Wii U, Xbox One is roughly 33% stronger. it's not a big deal.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Slimmin360

@scottpsfan14:

We're not talking about hardware power here, besides Nintendo's always been able to get the most out of what little hardware they had compared to other systems, hence Gamecube over Xbox, DS and 3DS over PSP and Vita.

So the hardware isn't the issue, the issue is simplicity to the gamer at a lower cost, it's easier to pop in a disc and start playing in seconds as opposed to waitng for installs, paying for online subscriptions to play online or rental fees, and worrying about the amount of hard drive space you'll have in order to own a certain amount of games.

Those are the areas where Nintendo is beating out the competition.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

Did sony ever actually announce that?

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Problems, whaat? Buy a bigger harddrive you cheapshate !! PSN/xboxlive is not expensive...less than 50 euro for a full year is nice deal consider you get like 6free games each month(ps4+ps3+vita)

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BldgIrsh

@aroxx_ab said:

Problems, whaat? Buy a bigger harddrive you cheapshate !! PSN/xboxlive is not expensive...less than 50 euro for a full year is nice deal consider you get like 6free games each month(ps4+ps3+vita)

Thought the whole argument of going console was because it was cheap and easy. Now we're adding on costs of an external hard drive or for the true enthusiasts a internal harddrive.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

How are the HDDs too small? There's no need to have games installed that you're not playing, so how many games are you playing at the same time?

The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts

@Shielder7 said:

@bldgirsh said:

When you have the option to literally have hundreds of TBs of storage attached to your system (through SATA, USB, and NAS), I'd say your argument is crap.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@MonsieurX: Yet the Wii U screwed the pooch by not adding 3.0 compatibility knowing the future adaptation rate.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@Ghost120x said:

I hate this too. I'm am already running out of HDD space and it is mostly from games I bought from retail. Why is the ps4 installing the whole game when I have the disk?

Because the streaming speed from a HDD is vastly quicker. It would be a huge bottleneck to run the games from the disks.

Blu Rays as a storage medium this gen is nothing more than a delivery method.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts
@Slimmin360 said:

@MonsieurX said:

Yeah, my point exactly, Wii-U will let you install an external hard drive up to 2TB, Xbone doesn't even have the update for an external hard drive yet, and PS4 won't recognize and upgraded internal hard drive thats more than 1TB.

I'm pretty sure it came out last month.

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Slimmin360 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

1) It's not really a problem anyway because you can delete a game in a split second and install another in a few seconds.

2) PS4 has a SATA II full speed HDD slot that can take over 2TB SATA drives and SSD's of any size. Wii U is limited to USB bus speed external storage.

3) Most games don't go past 25 GB anyway.

I think USB 2 is adequate for Wii U technology. It's faster than running the games off the disk at least.

Also I don't think it's necessary to change the internal HDD in the PS4 in terms of speed. USB 3 is easily competitive with Sata 2. Sata 2 has a transfer rate of 3Gb/s and USB 3 has a transfer rate of 5Gb/s. While I know it's not quite as simple as that, still. However it's probably cheaper to change the internal drive. But to me, it feels like the internal drive would go wasted, it makes more sense to me to keep that in there and add an external drive to it. So I'm okay with the way the X1 handles the situation.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

@Slimmin360:

The x1 does have external suppourt and supposedly is able to read 2 hards at once up to. 16tb.

Sony is yhe only one who cant even provide the simple things

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

I hope they release a PS4 with a bigger HD for Black Friday. That's when I plan on getting one bigger HD or not.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#32 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@Slimmin360 said:

Considering the hard drives that are too small with mandatory game installs

No, they're perfectly adequate. Not every game requires a 50 gig install. If what's there is not enough for you on PS4, you can swap the HDD. As for the Xbox One, external storage is now a possibility. With my Wii U, I got a 64GB Sandisk Cruzer Fit to expand storage. Storage really isn't an issue this gen. If what's on the system isn't enough, it's cheap as hell to get more and it gets cheaper over time.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@Slimmin360 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

Your throw in the towel attitude about Nintendo is your opinion, but as of right now there console is the most logical choice as far as hard drive expandability and lack of online fees, and plentiful game choices.

Jesus, go outside, TC.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

I don't mind paying for PS+ or Xbox Live now since you get game downloads every month.

In fact, Nintendo would be smart to have something similar to that in the future too.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BldgIrsh

@geniobastardo said:

@Shielder7 said:

@bldgirsh said:

that idiocy....wow.

Could someone decipher what he's trying to say? I seriously don't understand what he was trying to convey.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

WiiU is not an answer to anything now or in 10 years from now. Its a system that should've been out in 06 and in 2014 i don't really care about such old relics.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

I'm fine with all of them, but PS4/X1 will likely stay my mains for this gen.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#39 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Slimmin360 said:

@MonsieurX said:

Wrong. My X1 is hooked up to a 1 TB usb 3.0 HDD. Update came last month

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Do you really need 10 games installed at the same time?

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@Shielder7 said:

@bldgirsh said:

Or...you know...you could just put an HDD in the PC big enough so that you never run out of space, but that is something that requires an IQ higher than most here in SW seem to have, sooo...

Avatar image for littlestreakier
littlestreakier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By littlestreakier
Member since 2004 • 2950 Posts

Wasn't the HDD space a known issue and is at every launch? I bought the premium edition Xbox 360 a few weeks after launch with a 20GB HDD? I also bought the 40GB PS3 a few months after launch...this isn't expected by now that this gen would start the same?

I don't consider PSN+ or XBL Gold an issue because now every month you get free games. This months PSN+ PS4 games are GREAT IMO. Plus I was already paying for XBL on 360 so the free games just sweetens the deal for me.

Wii U is a great console IMO. I was planning to get one by SoildTY said it's more of a real life social gathering console unless your a big single player gamer. Have to agree with him. A bunch of friends and I went over a friends house and played Mario Kart 8...such a great time. But it seems like if online play is important to you the Wii U may no be the best choice.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

ideally games shouldnt need to be installed on any console. the console with the correct usage of a HDD (for a console) was the first xbox. background caching to the HDD gives many of the same benefits but without needed to leave data permanently on the HDD. halo 1 and 2 used it to great effect on the first xbox (halo 2 wouldnt have been possible without the HDD).

this installing nonsense (for retail games) is just poor hardware decisions (the dvd/blu ray drives are too slow) combined with lazy development practices (ah sure we will just stick it on the HDD....itll be grand).

the wiiu has the opposite problem. no HDD so everything must come off the disc. the wiiu has a 5X blu-ray based disc drive....its not even close to fast enough. i got a wiiu last week (a wiiu with 6 games for 370 euros all brand spanking new...nice deal :D) and the one thing that constantly annoys me about the console is long loading times. sometimes a game is slow to start up but then its not too bad (windwaker HD...not exactly pushing the wiiu to the limit though). other games (lego city undercover for example) have chronic loading times. if nintendo stuck a HDD in there and provided good tools for developers to optimise the dumping of data to the HDD as cache and using the two sources (HDD and disc drive) to improve loading performance then it would be a far more elegant solution. again...like the first xbox.

as for all the DRM stuff...the wiiu, like any console, is DRM incarnate. there is nothing stopping nintendo from implementing more draconian DRM at a later date if they so wish. so you cant hide from it with the wiiu either.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@littlestreakier said:

Wasn't the HDD space a known issue and is at every launch? I bought the premium edition Xbox 360 a few weeks after launch with a 20GB HDD? I also bought the 40GB PS3 a few months after launch...this isn't expected by now that this gen would start the same?

I don't consider PSN+ or XBL Gold an issue because now every month you get free games. This months PSN+ PS4 games are GREAT IMO. Plus I was already paying for XBL on 360 so the free games just sweetens the deal for me.

Wii U is a great console IMO. I was planning to get one by SoildTY said it's more of a real life social gathering console unless your a big single player gamer. Have to agree with him. A bunch of friends and I went over a friends house and played Mario Kart 8...such a great time. But it seems like if online play is important to you the Wii U may no be the best choice.

It sounds like things are working out great for you. :)

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

It's called PC gaming.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

@scottpsfan14: No PS4 game will ever use more the 2GB for a single game. Until a few changes are made anything past 2GB being used starts to cause issues with PS4 development.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#47 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@bldgirsh said:

no way

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts
@Slimmin360 said:

Considering the hard drives that are too small with mandatory game installs, PS-Plus and Xbox Live costs, Playstation now rental fees, danger of DRM reinstatement.

Is the Wii-U that does not include any of these issues the answer? or is maybe staying last gen or even retro ala Gamecube, PS2 and so on the answer?, because all of the above is definitely turning me off of current gen consoles.

@MonsieurX said:

While missing 95% of all major AAA multiplatform games , lack of solid internet play , if someone isnt that much into 1st party titles theres nothing else to play with , Wii U eventually will die faster or at best , as fast as Wii did ( few years ) and let you ...scratching your head wondering what the hell happened ( like 100million Wii owners did last gen ) ... while this outdated hardware costs too much even with price cuts !!

No thnx dude ! HD capacity or pay to play online not reasons to buy a Wii U when it lacks major games AND will be dead in the next 2-3 years ( or in serious life support even ).

mprince131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mprince131
Member since 2006 • 406 Posts

@Slimmin360 said:

The Xbox One definitely does have external hard drive support. So this is a non issue for Xbox One and you can connect much more than 2TB.