With all of the talk of the price of PC rigs look what just popped up on digg

This topic is locked from further discussion.

laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts

http://hothardware.com/cs/blogs/ta/archive/2008/12/30/build-guide-500-gaming-rig.aspx

$400-$500 gaming rigs. You will need to do some overclocking, but you will definitly be able to game on it.

-Jiggles-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 -Jiggles-
Member since 2008 • 4356 Posts

What's surprising is that those rigs aren't actually bad at all. :shock: A 9800GT or a 4850 aren't incredibly powerful cards, but they'll definiately max most PC games out there, with the exception of some particular games (such as Crysis or STALKER: Clear Skies). Still, they'd play most games fairly well.

To be honest, I was expecting them to be pretty weak systems, with an 8600GT powering them or something... I guess I was wrong.

Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#3 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts
Interesting find. Cheap and if you add 100$, you can get a Q6600 (and take the gygabite motherboard) and the "cheap build that play all new games on medium" can play them at high :P
AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts
Ya thats awesome, I would build that rig today easy.
karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 karasill
Member since 2007 • 3155 Posts
Awesome.Pretty powerful gaming PC's at the same price point as a PS3 :)
lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 lettuceman44
Member since 2005 • 7971 Posts

What's surprising is that those rigs aren't actually bad at all. :shock: A 9800GT or a 4850 aren't incredibly powerful cards, but they'll definiately max most PC games out there, with the exception of some particular games (such as Crysis or STALKER: Clear Skies). Still, they'd play most games fairly well.

To be honest, I was expecting them to be pretty weak systems, with an 8600GT powering them or something... I guess I was wrong.

-Jiggles-
Wouldn't that make the 4850 and 9800GT fairly powerful cards then?
iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
[QUOTE="-Jiggles-"]

lettuceman44
Wouldn't that make the 4850 and 9800GT fairly powerful cards then?

they are. i play crysis on high with a 9800gt that's over clocked a bit. that is actually a good build imo.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
It's going to have a hard time playing games without an operating system, don't you think?
Avatar image for comstrikeiscool
comstrikeiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 comstrikeiscool
Member since 2004 • 3616 Posts
It's going to have a hard time playing games without an operating system, don't you think?lowe0
Most people already have operating systems
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts
[QUOTE="-Jiggles-"]

Radeon HD 4850 1GB VRAM can play Crysis Warhead at max details and 1280x800 res. Desktop Geforce 8600GT was replaced by Geforce 9600 GSO (2X 96 stream processors).
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ronvalencia
[QUOTE="lowe0"] It's going to have a hard time playing games without an operating system, don't you think?

They didn't select the cheapest motherboard brand i.e. ASrock. A step lower than Radeon HD 4850 is Radeon HD 4830.
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#13 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49591 Posts
There's no operating system, add on an additional $100.00 for the Vista Premium.
Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

-Jiggles-

My 9800GT maxes out Far Cry 2, Crysis Warhead, and Stalker Clear Skies. :)

Got it for a very good price too. :P

1q3er5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 1q3er5
Member since 2003 • 759 Posts
There's no operating system, add on an additional $100.00 for the Vista Premium.Stevo_the_gamer
First of all NO to Vista, and errr there are ways around paying for stuff like that :)
mr_mozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mr_mozilla
Member since 2006 • 2381 Posts
Surprisingly good rigs, usually this sorta articles use overpriced components, possibly to avoid user complaints if something goes wrong. Not sure if I would go with a 350W psu in the alternative build, in fact I'm pretty sure I wouldn't. I'd also opt for a quad core cpu, even if that would mean going for a lower clocked model and loosing few frames in current games I'm quite confident that with games like GTA4, Alan Wake etc. the extra cores would eventually prove their worth.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Hardware is grossly overpowered per price nowadays. The whole 'expensive pc gaming' argument is tripe. Hell my comp. isnt anything to brag about, and it runs games wonderfully.
speedsix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 speedsix
Member since 2003 • 1076 Posts

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]There's no operating system, add on an additional $100.00 for the Vista Premium.1q3er5
First of all NO to Vista, and errr there are ways around paying for stuff like that :)

So you're saying this low price is only applicable if you pay for some things and steal the rest to keep the price down? Why don't you steal the graphics card aswell, that'll drop the cost even further.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Nearly everyone these days has a copy of windows lying around somewere or knows someone with one. It's not hard to get your hands on one anyway and spend an hour installing it.

Cheap pc, wish I could afford it lol

speedsix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 speedsix
Member since 2003 • 1076 Posts

Nearly everyone these days has a copy of windows lying around somewere or knows someone with one. It's not hard to get your hands on one anyway and spend an hour installing it.

sailor232

You're comparing like for like with consoles, which included in the purchase price is the cost of the operating system of the console.

If you buy a new PC, legally you need to purchase a copy of Windows, it's that simple.

Before anyone says use Linux, Windows games on Linux still need Windows libraries installed which again, would require you to purchase a copy of Windows.

horrowhip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 horrowhip
Member since 2005 • 5002 Posts
[QUOTE="sailor232"]

speedsix

You're comparing like for like with consoles, which included in the purchase price is the cost of the operating system of the console.

If you buy a new PC, legally you need to purchase a copy of Windows, it's that simple.

Before anyone says use Linux, Windows games on Linux still need Windows libraries installed which again, would require you to purchase a copy of Windows.

chances are you have a retail version of XP or Vista around.

Not to mention the fact that this OS can allow you to do millions more things than any console..

Oh, and if you plan on getting 10 games for this PC you completely eliminate the cost of the OS when compared to consoles.

I never could figure out why console gamers are so damn determined to do a direct comparison of a Gaming PC price to a console price.

Last I checked, you couldn't use your console to do even HALF the stuff a PC does. The cost of a Gaming PC gives you WAY, WAY more than just a gaming platform. It gives you an extremely fast computer capable of web browsing, word processing, image editing, movie watching, and so much more that much faster and better.

The day that a console can do half the things a PC can do, is the day that spending $500-600 on a console would be justified(which is half what I typically pay for my PC's because I go to the high end with high quality parts). But that day has not come. So expecting a PC, that does infinitely more things than a console, to cost the same as a console is absolutely insane.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts
This thread should be stickied for the sake of no more 'A good gaming PC costs X thousands of dollars (links to alienware website :P)'-threads

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bebi_vegeta
Member since 2003 • 13558 Posts
[QUOTE="sailor232"]

speedsix

That's when you buy a new PC... I guess people fail to realise that you may only need upgrading, wich cost a whole lot less.

nitekids2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nitekids2004
Member since 2005 • 2981 Posts
wow..with that price i can buy a PSP, DS and a Wii. Although technically you can sell your old PC for a deduction somehow.
Supafly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Supafly1
Member since 2003 • 4441 Posts
There's no operating system, add on an additional $100.00 for the Vista Premium.Stevo_the_gamer
I have like 2 Windows XP discs, why would I need Vista? People who have PC's, have a operating system already. Any PC that's like 6 years old will have Windows XP installed on it.
Hoikensnogin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 Hoikensnogin
Member since 2007 • 63 Posts

As a previous console gamer who wasn't interested in PC, but finally built a q6600/8800GTS system ealier this year and haven't touched my consoles since...once you go PC, it's hard to go back.

If you're a gamer and haven't tried the PC...you just don't know the whole world of gaming that you're missing.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ronvalencia

This thread should be stickied for the sake of no more 'A good gaming PC costs X thousands of dollars (links to alienware website :P)'-threads

R4gn4r0k
There are post with "A good gaming PC costs X thousands of dollars". http://au.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26741957&page=12&tag=topics;lastpage