With 3 hours = worth of cutscenes, why do lemming hate movie games MK11 ?

• 65 results
daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll With 3 hours = worth of cutscenes, why do lemming hate movie games MK11 ? (19 votes)

Is it because the movie games that MS released all had flopped 63%
Is because they prefer games with no story. 37%

As we all know, MK11 cutscenes are 3hrs+ and I'm enjoying every minute of it, but why do lemmings hate movie games like MK11 ?

SPOILER

ALL OF MK11 CUTSCENES>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdEi4lr4lMQ&t=244s

• 
Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

I'm gonna go with flop. If Gears 4 or Quantum Break would have been good they'd love dem movie games.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58898 Posts

Not really a movie game. Has a traditional arcade mode, other game mods and MP.

Movie games are a term typically for games more interested in mimicking a movie than focusing on gameplay. Mortal Kombat isn't that.

Alot of fighting games have a story-mode now, it's typically the first things people play, as it's a casual introduction to the other mechanics.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Movie games are a term typically for games more interested in mimicking a movie than focusing on gameplay. Mortal Kombat isn't that.

Alot of fighting games have a story-mode now, it's typically the first things people play, as it's a casual introduction to the other mechanics.

Are you telling me that my favorite game this gen ( God of War ) isn't a movie game? what is then ?

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

@daredevils2k: Father and son relationship simulator.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

Good lord now fanboys think MK is a movie game. Please get the **** out of here with that bullshit.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Lol, dumb OP doesn’t know what a movie game is.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@Sevenizz: Neither do most of you.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 daredevils2k

@Xabiss said:

Good lord now fanboys think MK is a movie game. Please get the **** out of here with that bullshit.

Well now i"m very confused. This whole gen lemmings were saying a movie game is a game that has tons of cut scenes and now i'm being told its something different. So does that mean all of Sony exclusives aren't really movie games, but just really good games with a story?

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BoxRekt
Member since 2019 • 2425 Posts

@Telekill said:

@Sevenizz: Neither do most of you.

lol I still recall the hype Quantum Break got from xbox drones even after it was revealed that 1/4 of the game was literally a full on actual movie.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44137 Posts

I think the term “movie game” is used when the ratio of cutscenes to gameplay is more skewed towards cutscenes. In Mortal Kombat 11 I doubt that that term is really all that applicable.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56062 Posts

@daredevils2k said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Are you telling me that my favorite game this gen ( God of War ) isn't a movie game? what is then ?

The term you are looking for is "Cinematic driven game" not movie game.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By daredevils2k

@Archangel3371 said:

I think the term “movie game” is used when the ratio of cutscenes to gameplay is more skewed towards cutscenes. In Mortal Kombat 11 I doubt that that term is really all that applicable.

@davillain- said:
@daredevils2k said:
@uninspiredcup said:

The term you are looking for is "Cinematic driven game" not movie game.

Well 3 hours of cut scenes sounds like a movie game to me. Man the lemmings this gen have me so confused. One minute games with tons of cut scenes were called movie games, and now they are called Cinematic driven games. What will the lemmings come up with next?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44137 Posts

@daredevils2k: This sounds like a “you” problem to me. You should probably reflect on it for a bit.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 daredevils2k

@Archangel3371 said:

@daredevils2k: This sounds like a “you” problem to me. You should probably reflect on it for a bit.

thanks i shall, I def need to reflect on it for a bit, because lemmings going from Movie games and now to Cinematic driven games has made my head hurt :(

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DaVillain  Moderator

@daredevils2k said:

Well 3 hours of cut scenes sounds like a movie game to me. Man the lemmings this gen have me so confused. One minute games with tons of cut scenes were called movie games, and now they are called Cinematic driven games. What will the lemmings come up with next?

Yeah? You sure could've fooled me lol.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12181 Posts

why so salty, Oh right Days Flop is about to be released. LOL

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@daredevils2k: The difference is I can play countless hours of MK11 without seeing a cutscene. Sony games start with cutscenes. You probably couldn't go 20 minutes without seeing a cutscene. That's a pretty big difference fella

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#19 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Merely a term created by fans who are in complete denial over their flopped platform. Wonder who they are?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61477 Posts

It's funny how Cows always cry foul over the movie claim, but then we get threads like this that try to dispel the "myth." lol. Just don't engage.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44555 Posts

Will it let players pick a character and tailor story around that character's progress? Or is it one of those fighting games that force swaps characters between matches and sticks to the same story? 3 hours seems like a lot for the latter, but if each character has their own story with unique cutscenes and they only show if you pick that character for story mode then 3 hours of cutscenes isn't a lot when spread out against the line-up of characters.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

@daredevils2k: The difference is I can play countless hours of MK11 without seeing a cutscene. Sony games start with cutscenes. You probably couldn't go 20 minutes without seeing a cutscene. That's a pretty big difference fella

I think we have moved passed these simple goal posts. This is a point that does not make sense and perhaps why he will keep calling foul on the term movie games. What your describing will mean DMC5 is a movie game. Its cinematic heavy and it start with an awesome cutscene lol. Then the beat goes from there cutscene intro to every new thing, then fight, then cutscene. Well put together cutscenes btw and the game is not afraid to celebrate them. Yet even I who has defended these sony games I can tell the difference focus of DMC5 vs GOW for example.

You have a game with actually good gameplay (yes its so happen to actually have better combat then most so called games) that uses cinematics to create memorable narative moments. Forces players to a slow scripted gameplay to feel some sort of story impact. Versus a pure action arcade game that scores you on how good you are at its combat but also celebrates anime style cutscenes as a way to tell an impactful story if your interested.

I think we need to find better things then cutscenes and there ratios. Shit even fromsoft is getting there cutscene game on lately. I don't know maybe sony's creative directors look like filmmakers wannabes perhaps is a better argument. You all are confusing with these cutscenes arguments.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

The cutscenes just made new lore for the game. MS doesn't care about their lore or storylines. Look at Gear of War series. They don't even contribute lore into their games, which made Gears of War 4 really dull.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lundy86_4

@watercrack445 said:

The cutscenes just made new lore for the game. MS doesn't care about their lore or storylines. Look at Gear of War series. They don't even contribute lore into their games, which made Gears of War 4 really dull.

Misread your post. My B.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

Lems are the type of people who pay to see a movie and then play fortnite on their phone the entire time. When the movie ends they claim “it sucked and was confusing”.

The lems are typically teenagers/young adults and in our current world, they can’t sit still for even one minute of cutscenes. They sit there mashing the controller trying to skip it and scream at the TV.

There is a handful of lems on here who actually do like cutscenes because their favourite games are Witcher 3 and RDR2, but for some reason bash Sony games. It’s obvious trolling.

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

@lundy86_4: kinda like the multi page threads created by lems convincing themselves they’re having fun playing their 5/10 rated games?

Give it a rest man

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By lundy86_4

@pdogg93: That's a bit off. It would be the same if Cows stated something about an Xbox game, and then Lems just defended that shit in a completely unrelated thread. Soooo... Not the same.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#29 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69412 Posts

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts
@daredevils2k said:
@Xabiss said:

Well now i"m very confused. This whole gen lemmings were saying a movie game is a game that has tons of cut scenes and now i'm being told its something different. So does that mean all of Sony exclusives aren't really movie games, but just really good games with a story?

I was never one of those. They are just good games in my book. Funny how defensive sony fanboys are though when you call them movie games.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

I dunno. I love a good story in games as long as the gameplay is still solid and the star of the game. It’s when story replaces gameplay and it’s basically an interactive movie that I have a problem. MK11 having stories and videos is great because it’s just a bonus to the fun as hell gameplay we always get with an MK game.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

There's stupid, and then there's deflection2k.

Son-Goku7523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Son-Goku7523
Member since 2019 • 955 Posts

MS hasn't had any success with cinematic games and all the ones they released were flops and terrible so lems have grown to be jealous of Playstation's very successful cinematic games

The reason this is very apparent is that the same lems that bashed Sony's movie games go ahead and hype movie games that are multiplat like RDR2 and now Mortal Kombat 11.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DaVillain  Moderator

@Xabiss said:

Well it is. Remember the MK movie back in the 90's? You know, the really, really good MK movie? It's cheesy now but still fun to watch today's standards :P

Never mind Annihilation, that doesn't exist.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#35 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

@son-goku7523 said:

MS hasn't had any success with cinematic games and all the ones they released were flops and terrible so lems have grown to be jealous of Playstation's very successful cinematic games

The reason this is very apparent is that the same lems that bashed Sony's movie games go ahead and hype movie games that are multiplat like RDR2 and now Mortal Kombat 11.

I think this is about to be a non factor when and if several of the next big MS games are more akin to Sony style presentation; lots of dramas, cutscenes and cinematics. One less stuff to talk against in SW maybe.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@Pedro said:

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 daredevils2k

@goldenelementxl said:

Wow to me, the game (MK11) started off with a cut scene /shrug

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BoxRekt
Member since 2019 • 2425 Posts

This thread is funny when we all know all these PC and xbox fanboys have said their favorite game this gen is.

The Witcher 3

Loading Video...

Do they really like it?

In reality everyone here must actually HATE it because it's:

A Third person, AAA, graphically impressive, over the shoulder, narrative driven, melodramatic soap opera, cinematic and cutscene heavy Sony exclusi....

Oh wait, It's multiplat! So it's ok to praise it as the greatest game of all time!

FOH

Son-Goku7523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Son-Goku7523
Member since 2019 • 955 Posts
@rzxv04 said:
@son-goku7523 said:

I think this is about to be a non factor when and if several of the next big MS games are more akin to Sony style presentation; lots of dramas, cutscenes and cinematics. One less stuff to talk against in SW maybe.

Yea these hypocritical lems will start loving movie games the moment MS Studios can make a good one. It's how all these sad fanboys operate.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#40 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69412 Posts

Glad the Sony fannies are owning up to Sony movie games. Its about time.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@Pedro said:

Glad the Sony fannies are owning up to Sony movie games. Its about time.

Now we need them to own up to their alts like son of quacknight above you lol.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@Pedro: Who's owning up to what, the people claiming all Sony games are "movie" games are pure idiots, the usual bunch of mouth breathing trolls.

Avatar image for deactivated-5efed3ebc2180
deactivated-5efed3ebc2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5efed3ebc2180
Member since 2006 • 923 Posts
@Archangel3371 said:

Exactly - I've logged nearly 300 hours into MK XL, yet played the Story Mode only once...

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11082 Posts
@Sevenizz said:

Lol, dumb OP doesn’t know what a movie game is.

You people don't even know what games are these days.

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 That_Old_Guy
Member since 2018 • 1233 Posts

@Archangel3371: that’s false bc it’s used for any PS4 exclusive and 99% of them have more gameplay than cutscenes.

Peasly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#46 Peasly
Member since 2004 • 554 Posts

If i want to watch a movie i'll go to the cinema.. or get it from an add on i'm not supposed to have..

If i want to play a game i don't want to sit through ages of just watching the story line without pressing a button or controlling everything. Tomb Raider went this way. Most disappointing.. ;(

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@Peasly: Tomb Raider has a lot of gameplay, way more then it has cutscenes. To think its a movie game is a little strange.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#48  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34596 Posts

That's some lazy trolling. It apparently worked, though.

Peasly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#49  Edited By Peasly
Member since 2004 • 554 Posts

@vfighter: Tomb Raider has a lot of gameplay, way more then it has cutscenes. To think its a movie game is a little strange.

I was thinking of Rise of The Tomb Raider. Yes you are correct it is not a movie game as such, but i felt that you could not fully explore anywhere or do much without triggering a cutscene.

Comparing this game and the sequels to say the original Tomb Raider games on PS1 where you could go anywhere and do almost anything, solve complex puzzles as well as have a mini exploration around Croft Manor put me off any more Tomb Raider games. Hence the disappointment.

This however seems to be the trend i some games these days which is good if you like that sort of thing. I think i'm a bit biased as i like a complete open world experience. No offence meant. ;)

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Livecommander
Member since 2009 • 1388 Posts

@WESTBLADE: you can go straight to online in a number of sony movie games and get your 300 hours in. Just like mk11. The others you can skip the scences with one button smh