Witcher series: overrated, underrated, or just right?

• 65 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Witcher series: overrated, underrated, or just right? (96 votes)

Overrated 40%
Underrated 21%
Just Right 39%

To be honest with you, SW, I don't get the big hoopla regarding this series. I recently tried the Witcher 2, and I think the graphics are pretty amazing, but I didn't find myself to be particularly interested in the combat or its fantasy setting. It doesn't seem quite like a mainstream RPG like Skyrim or Dragon Age. I am getting Witcher 3 for free, so maybe I'll like that more.

What do you think of this series, SW? Overrated, underrated, or just right?

• 
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Witcher 1 is one of the greatest games of the past decade. Witcher 2 is an overrated and disappointing sequel.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Overrated. Very good plot. Average gameplay mechanics, illusion of choice, low replay value, non engaging combat. People like to praise it because it used to be only on PC. Hopefully The Witcher 3 makes the series deserving of the hype.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

Just right. TW1 was good, but had many problematic game mechanics. Alot of it due to the engine.

TW2 was smaller and in some ways but the storyline was more focused. The gameplay was a huge improvement, and while combat wasn't perfect, it was good enough.

Going by TW3, it'll be the GOTY it was meant to be

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

On a Whole I would say underrated, but given the caviot that TW1 is underrated and TW2 is overrated.

The first witcher painted an interresting World, where you as a wholly neutral person could view the different cultures and the society around you with a cold pragmatic way. It was a game that often raised the question "what is a monster". The difinition was never clear cut, nor Black and White. The choices were brilliant. The combat was no better or worse then any other RPG but given that it was in essence rythem based, many people did not like it, and it was floaty.

The 2nd Witcher game focused alot on politics, which felt awefully out of place for the protagonist and a stark contrast to the first game. You went from battlefield to battlefield, never having much knowlage of the World around you. It was a very focused game, which ultimately focused in the wrong areas. It was alot more clear cut what a monster were, and the choices you took mostly felt hollow because everything was taken out of context without the overarching society and World around you. The combat was hit or miss, I did not have anything them wanting to change combat, but this was not the right direction. It did however produce a choice which would pretty much completely change chapter 2 in the game, which I will credit it.

Ultimately I hope TW goes back to be more like TW1, the initial trailer seemed to suggest so, and you Again have a World around you, not just some small isolated village, some offputting battelfield, or smal summet. But the notion of something bigger. Something that grants more context, and a reason to play a monster hunter Again (another complaint I had in TW 2, yeah you killed monsters ,but there were a surprisingly small amount of hunting and studying monsters, in comparison to political BS.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

Got W2 a few years ago for like 5 bucks figuring I couldn't go wrong. Played for quite a while and was enjoying it but came to a point I just lost interest and didn't want to play anymore. I dunno, I used to love long fantasy RPG's but for the past few years I just can't get into them, same happened with Skyrim, bought that, played till level 8 and boom, I was done though that one gave me the feeling like mang have I been here and done this before with Oblivion which I put a couple hundred hours in doing about everything that could be done in the game.

To close, eh, sci fi rpg's is where I'm at these dayzzz, bring on ME4 baby. :P

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58931 Posts

Quite possibly the most overrated developer and series around.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

I feel its overrated tbh. Maybe not sales wise compared to other games, but I'm not a fan of it like other people are.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19569 Posts

@Juub1990: Sorry, "illusion of choice"? Have you actually played these games?

Anyway, The Witcher 1 is hugely underrated.

The Witcher 2 got the criticism more or less correct - it's a great game with a few faults.

So...I guess underrated overall.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

Witcher 1 is a massively overrated game. The fact that it's overarching story is solid is the only real redeeming factor. The gameplay is horrendously boring, the art is drab even compared to something like the Dragon Age franchise, acting and many story elements are awkward at best, and the game shamelessly panders to having sex with ultra juvenile collectible sex cards.

Witcher 2 I think was a big step up. It's art is more unique and palatable, the combat is clunky but fun and far more interesting, the voice acting and animations are largely improved. The only real drawback was the abrupt ending and shitty 3rd act. Overall a pretty good game. Not sure I would say 9/10 good by any stretch, but good.

I think Witcher as a franchise has a lot of potential, but CD Projekt Red is still a young studio and working through it's growing pains. Hopefully Witcher 3 shows off the potential that has always been there for the franchise, instead of just turning into another Skyrim or pretend MMO a la DA:I.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

TW2 was blown way the **** out of proportion when it released. I thought I was about to play one of the greatest games of all time. It was the first time I saw hermits play the cow role since Doom 3.

That was just during the pre-release/honeymoon phase though. Overall I'd say the series is rated just right.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Underrated. Many didn't even know Witcher is a thing until they announced Witcher 2 for Xbox 360. After Enhanced Edition of second game, press really started to talk about its choice and consequence system and started to hype Witcher 3. Original Witcher is still vastly overlooked.

Witcher 3 on other hand is over hyped to death and most people who are hyping it, never played first two games and they are excited for it because "Teh open world". They're going to be turned off when they won't be able to run and gun or confused by the story.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Overrated. Shitty combat and one of the most boring protagonists of all time.

G-O-M-J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 G-O-M-J
Member since 2009 • 1520 Posts

Overrated imo especially when people are praising the combat id rather take fable combat

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Hmmmm.... I actually don't care about Ratings.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15  Edited By mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

Just right.

The Witcher 2 had too many loose ends ....The Witcher 3 will be one of the best games of the generation. (Haven't played Witcher 1 )

Don't get it why ppl bitch about combat .... it was confusing on keyboard but once i played it with xbox 360 controller it was just awesome !

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts

Overrated if you don't like it. Just right if you think it's quite good. Underrated if you adore it. Asking a human being what is overrated and underrated is like asking a Dog to choose between a juicy steak and a leaf of lettuce. 100% subjective bros.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

"It doesn't seem quite like a mainstream RPG like Skyrim"

That would seem to be a good thing

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

I liked witchers 2 because of it's solid characters and the good story , it was really an epic game

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

The first one was hugely underrated.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

Witcher 1 slightly underrated

Witcher 2 slightly overrated

Overall just right

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Overrated. Everything people claim these games do well like writing, story, dialogue, etc. is pretty shit and par for the course as far as video games are concerned. Combat is the epitome of crap too.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

A little bit overrated. It is not as amazing as some may say. And this motto CD Project RED has "for the gamer" with their free DLC reminder they keep spamming in every of their posts is getting annoying. We know, we get, its free, free since TW2 now stfu.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

Overrated. I'ma go back and give both of them a proper playthough but man that combat is just zzzz

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

overrated by pc gamers

underrated by console gamers

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

The Witcher series is completely overrated by some fanboys.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

overrated IMO. I never played 1. I played 2 when it was on sale on steam for like 3 bucks, barely played it and got bored quickly.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Overrated.

A main character that tried to be played off as mysterious or something that instead just makes me roll my eyes and forced swear words and forced sex scenes makes it more juvenile than mature....which is sad b/c they were all about trying to be mature.

Then theres several cliche characters and the UI in TW1, but a little in TW2, was so fucking not intuitive it's ridiculous.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Overrated.

A main character that tried to be played off as mysterious or something that instead just makes me roll my eyes and forced swear words and forced sex scenes makes it more juvenile than mature....which is sad b/c they were all about trying to be mature.

Then theres several cliche characters and the UI in TW1, but a little in TW2, was so fucking not intuitive it's ridiculous.

Hope you realize Geralt was basically a bad ass man whore in the books, which were written in the 90's. The Witcher has always been about sex and mature fantasy.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

MGSV more popular lulz look at all these random witcher threads

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Forced sex scenes...? That doesn't sound right

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog

@Ballroompirate said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Overrated.

Hope you realize Geralt was basically a bad ass man whore in the books, which were written in the 90's. The Witcher has always been about sex and mature fantasy.

Here...this is how I feel about TW. You do realize that Geralt is not a badass, right?

Welcome to not 1990's. And yes, I know they were books first.

Loading Video...

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#32 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

I didn't vote because I haven't played more than two hours of the first Witcher game, but I was surprised nobody mentioned how goofy his battle stance looks. It's down-right comical.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Just right, imho.

I hope they keep the difficulty of the first two in The Witcher 3 (although most of the difficulty comes from learning how to play and gets much easier once you level up a bit) and don't dumb it down for consoles or go all politically correct for the American SJW freaks. I'm hopeful that being a Polish developer they won't pander to noisy minorities who won't even play their game.

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

Witcher 1 was underrated a bit. While Witcher 2 was ok to a bit to overrated.

So basically somewhere a very bit underrated to just right. So I voted for just right.

P.S. I'm both referring to Enhanced Edition. And I played both normal editions and Enhanced Editions.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ballroompirate

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Overrated.

Here...this is how I feel about TW. You do realize that Geralt is not a badass, right?

Loading Video...

Ether you're that daft or a fail troll, maybe both

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

just right.

i loved W1 and 2 (note to self: finish 2 soonish). they have issues though. witcher 1 at launch was in really bad shape and it took a year to fix it. witcher 2 released in a better state but could have been better again. it also felt smaller than the first one.

but lots of great ideas and they are, at the very least, right up there with obsidians and biowares best. the developer is also ambitous which is great to see in this day and age.

i think where a lot of kudos come from though is the fact that CDPR will do their utmost to get it right if they dont get it right the first time. it would have been easy to rack up the million or so of the first witcher and wash their hands of the whole affair. but they rerecorded and rewrote a lot of dialogue and fixed a metric ton of bugs and they didnt charge people who bought the first edition for the improvements (as in they released an enhanced edition but first edition owners were upgraded for free).

now yes, in an ideal world the games would release in perfect condition of course, but they fixed it and, as i say, withcer 2 released in much much better condition. that also gives people confidence...they know they wont be left with a broken piece of crap with only 2 small patches released.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog

@Ballroompirate said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Overrated.

Loading Video...

Ether you're that daft or a fail troll, maybe both

I'm not surprised someone who likes TW series resorts to just calling me a troll when I say I don't like the game he likes....haha...ha.....lawl.

Here ya go....heres another:

Loading Video...

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ballroompirate

@mr_huggles_dog: Continue thinking people actually give two shits about what you say.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Mr_Huggles_dog

@Ballroompirate: What are you? The fucking Pope? HA!

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ballroompirate

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

I liked both games, warts and all. So just right would be my choice. It's like the Mass Effect series where there are some problems but I enjoy the universe the game lives in so much that I can give it a pass..Sort of. Some of the bugs can be pretty serious and the combat leaves a lot to be desired.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#42  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

In the past 10 years or so there was no other game that made decisions feel realistically unpredictable yet still satisfying.
I remember the first time in The Witcher 2 when an NPC was on to me it made me respect The Witcher world so much more.
Also it's one of the few fantasy games of the past 10 years with a world that is somewhat interesting with rumours and mysteries and sorceresses who are colliding behind the backs of the Kings. Political figures who are actually a menace because of their position? I have rarely seen that in a game, and in The Witcher 1 they made it pretty clear why meeting a King is bad business.

That said, I couldn't care less about the combat. And Pillars of Eternity is doing a great job presenting an interesting world in which your actions matter, too.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#43  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58931 Posts

@KungfuKitten said:

In the past 10 years or so there was no other game that made decisions feel realistically unpredictable yet still satisfying.

Fallout Vegas.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

Probably just right... I never played the 1st game, but I loved TW2.

I'm a little worried about the hype around 3, but I'm sure it'll be good enough to meet expectations. (I hope).

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#45 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@KungfuKitten said:

Fallout Vegas.

Meh I disagree, but I could see myself agreeing. That game was exceptional however.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

The first one was good, second one got kind of boring I never finished it. I would say it's generally over-rated since it's just a hack and slash game with a good story and very light RPG elements. Horrible combat and an awkward interface for some reason this game gets a pass for some terrible game design faults and I'm sure it won't be any different for W3 people will love it no matter what.

It's weird how some games are revered 'just because'.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#47 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

Part 1 was good and maybe a bit underrated.

Part 2 is way overrated in terms of being an rpg but had a decent story.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog said:

I'm not surprised someone who likes TW series resorts to just calling me a troll when I say I don't like the game he likes....haha...ha.....lawl.

Says the guy who defends The Order and Destiny....

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Mr_Huggles_dog

@-God- said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Says the guy who defends The Order and Destiny....

I never called anyone a troll for not liking the games.

Unless it was someone like you who can't get enough of my posts and then completely twists them.

Defending The Order as an average game and Destiny as a good game is not the same as calling someone a troll during the second reply of the conversation.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog

@Ballroompirate said:

Do you need me to explain my statement to you?

It's not really that sophisticated of a reply....but I'm not surprised you're....unsure.

Either way....congrats on winning the argument. The 7th graders will surely be impressed by your created meme.

YOU WON THIS ROUND!!!!