Windwaker HD getting early digital release. A new trend for the new gen? (Poll)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

So the digital download version of Windwaker HD is coming out several weeks earlier than the disc based retail version. Do you think this will be a new trend in the new generation of consoles? I have read numerous threads here that state people don't want to give up their discs and ability to trade games, but would you be willing to forego a physical copy in order to get one of your highly anticipated games several weeks ahead of the stores?

Personally, I would. And I bet the WiiU isn't the only console we'll be seeing this happen on should it pay off.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
So that's one way to offer incentives to purchasers of digital content- if you can't reduce the price (which you can't because then you'd piss off your retail partners), offer the stuff earlier to them to the extent that it makes an appreciable difference. Surprised Nintendo was so forward thinking with this, really.
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts
Nintendo is also giving 10% store credit on all eshop purchases to owners of their premium console. That seems like a pretty good idea to me, too. I just wonder why they don't offer that to everyone.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Nintendo is also giving 10% store credit on all eshop purchases to owners of their premium console. That seems like a pretty good idea to me, too. I just wonder why they don't offer that to everyone.PurpleMan5000
Well, considering that the Wii U Premium Edition is the only SKU that exists anymore...
lockjaw333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lockjaw333
Member since 2003 • 1743 Posts

I plan to go all digital next-gen. I already do on PC. Personally I would love to see perks for going digital like early release. I also believe we might see slight price incentives, maybe like $54.99 for digital an $59.99 for retail.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PurpleMan5000
[QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"]Nintendo is also giving 10% store credit on all eshop purchases to owners of their premium console. That seems like a pretty good idea to me, too. I just wonder why they don't offer that to everyone.charizard1605
Well, considering that the Wii U Premium Edition is the only SKU that exists anymore...

True, but there are still the early adopters with less incentive to add storage and start going digital. It just doesn't make sense to me why Nintendo targets some of their customers, but not others.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
So that's one way to offer incentives to purchasers of digital content- if you can't reduce the price (which you can't because then you'd piss off your retail partners), offer the stuff earlier to them to the extent that it makes an appreciable difference. Surprised Nintendo was so forward thinking with this, really.charizard1605
Yeah, I'm surprised too. I guess they have a good reason to try to pioneer such ideas right now. I look forward to seeing PS4 and Xbox One offer similar deals. I'm hoping I never have to go to another midnight release again. The one thing that troubles me is that for huge games like Skyrim, I enjoy getting the Collector's editions. I don't see how that system is going to be viable in this new digital age.
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PurpleMan5000
[QUOTE="charizard1605"]So that's one way to offer incentives to purchasers of digital content- if you can't reduce the price (which you can't because then you'd piss off your retail partners), offer the stuff earlier to them to the extent that it makes an appreciable difference. Surprised Nintendo was so forward thinking with this, really.donalbane
Yeah, I'm surprised too. I guess they have a good reason to try to pioneer such ideas right now. I look forward to seeing PS4 and Xbox One offer similar deals. I'm hoping I never have to go to another midnight release again. The one thing that troubles me is that for huge games like Skyrim, I enjoy getting the Collector's editions. I don't see how that system is going to be viable in this new digital age.

I don't think most collectors will go digital. That kind of defeats the point of being a collector. I could still see collector's editions into the future.
Zurrur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Zurrur
Member since 2009 • 1701 Posts

Lol buying Nintendo games digital

once your system dies you lose all your games there is no account system

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PurpleMan5000

Zurrur
Good thing I have never had a Nintendo system die. The NES is hard to get going sometimes, though.
Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

but 32 g is really small to be buying digital.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Joedgabe
Good thing you can plug in an external hard drive and expand on the space. Good thing Wind Waker HD is only 2.2 GB, meaning you're taking only a sixteenth of the total space even if you go digital with it. Good thing consoles these days aren't limited to only as much memory as they came bundled with in the beginning. Good thing the Wii U accepts any form of external storage, and not just overpriced proprietary memory.
Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Ill wait a little for a physical release. I am not so impatient or willing to lose money to get a digital game a week or two early.

To be honest, I dont buy digital games at all and I never will.

1) I can sell, trade, let a friend borrow, or do whatever I want with my physical discs because they actually belong to me and I can do anything I want with them. Buying digital means you dont actually own it, you just lease it for a unspecified amount of time.

2) Physical copies cost less. When a game launches often stores have sales, or offer like a gift card or something with purchase. Physical games also drop in price faster than digital ones. If you go on the xbox live store right now and buy dead space 3 it is 60 dollars but the physical copy is 30 on amazon even at its worst I can buy a physical copy of a game for the exact same price as its digital version. I can also buy used physical games which are cheaper than new. I can trade or sell physical games towards games which increases my value.

3) I can play my physical games anytime, anywhere I want. If I want to go back and play a 25 year old game I dont have to rebuy it, redownload it. I also dont have to worry about if the digital game service will even be availible in 25 years. I just put in the game and play it because I am not dependant on a digital service or internet connection. I also dont have problems like with nintendo where a game is tied to a machine it was purchased on.

4) I dont have to store digital games on my hard drive, I can just put the game in and Im golden.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#14 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
Digital versions should be cheaper. I don't accept any excuses to why this isn't the case. There are obvious savings for the seller in terms of manufacturing, shipping, and storing the discs. We should get those savings, especially since we are giving up the physical ownership here.
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

No, a couple of weeks is meaningless in the long run. I'll always take the physical copy when it comes to consoles, and especially in the case for Nintendo ones since they tie everything to the hardware.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#16 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

No, a couple of weeks is meaningless in the long run. I'll always take the physical copy when it comes to consoles, and especially in the case for Nintendo ones since they tie everything to the hardware.

Renegade_Fury
that's a good point too. I would be more willing to give up physical ownership if I could transfer my digital content onto every system I own in the future. That at least resembles value.
LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts
Given the current state of consoles (BC isn't guaranteed, games may not transfer over to newer systems), I'd never go digital only with them. In fact, I think I'm inclined to wait to buy a used copy of the game just to spite any publisher who does this. Want to provide a digital copy on release date? Sure. Want to give a minor discount to those who purchase digitally? Sure, I can accept that. But don't treat me like a second-class customer.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I would love that actually. Almost all my PC games are bought Digitally and I hate waiting to play it even though it's sitting there pre-loaded

What I would love to see more of though is a worldwide digital release instead of this staggered bullshit. My game is downloaded waiting to be played all it needs to do is unlock, LET ME DO IT!!

Avatar image for GhettoBlastin92
GhettoBlastin92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GhettoBlastin92
Member since 2012 • 1231 Posts

Zurrur
Yeah too bad Nintendo Consoles aren't launch xbox 360s...
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Renegade_Fury

For now but they are fixing that to be account based purchases and you can move your account to multiple systems; They can't do that with the 3DS yet because they are still trying to figure out how to update the 3DS to be account based.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts

[QUOTE="Joedgabe"]

charizard1605

Good thing you can plug in an external hard drive and expand on the space. Good thing Wind Waker HD is only 2.2 GB, meaning you're taking only a sixteenth of the total space even if you go digital with it. Good thing consoles these days aren't limited to only as much memory as they came bundled with in the beginning. Good thing the Wii U accepts any form of external storage, and not just overpriced proprietary memory.

You don't get to use the full 32GB so it'll take up more than 1/16th. I do agree with your other points.

illmatic8582

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 illmatic8582
Member since 2006 • 674 Posts
[QUOTE="Zurrur"]

PurpleMan5000
Good thing I have never had a Nintendo system die. The NES is hard to get going sometimes, though.

There are many things I think Nintendo got right with the Wii U. But there are a lot of wrongs too. Not having an account system is just stupid. No reason to defend it.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

[QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"][QUOTE="Zurrur"]

illmatic8582

There are many things I think Nintendo got right with the Wii U. But there are a lot of wrongs too. Not having an account system is just stupid. No reason to defend it.

Yeah it is something that is wrong with it currently but Nintendo said they will have it fixed to being account based before the end of the year.

They didn't mention about having it compatible with the 3DS because they said they are still trying to figure that out.

Link about the 3DS not being account based

Kiro0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Kiro0
Member since 2009 • 1176 Posts

Not surprising. 100% of the money goes to Nintendo when you buy digital, so they want to promote that somehow.